Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Buying it used and redeeming code in Origin possible?

I was considering getting Generations as it's the only pack I'm missing, but I only found it for full price in Origin. (really?? Full price?) Anyway, will I be able to sort of, redeem a digital copy if it if I have a serial number (as in, if I buy it used)

I saw that it's possible to buy the game serials online, (dunno if that's legit or not? I'm too old for this lol) Will I be able to redeem an Origin download with a bought serial code?

The other games I have in disc-format and was able to retrieve on Origin. But they weren't bought used.

PS: What is the main thought about Generations? I've read it's got some fun stuff for kids/teens etc, but that people where kinda annoyed by how it changed relationships etc and made people obsessed with family lives etc??

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    The thing about buying a used disc copy is that the original owner likely registered the code already, so you wouldn't be able to add it to Origin. Sometimes players can manage to get used discs to work if Origin controls the install but the discs themselves are used to install the content. However, it seems kind of hit or miss—some players even get a few discs to work this way, but not others they own.

Origin does have an occasional sale for TS3 content. Expansion packs were 50% off in... May?... and definitely during last year's winter holiday sale. You could also wait for a Steam sale, where packs can be as low as $5 U.S. each. But you'd need to buy a copy of the base game (also $5) as well, so the price would come out even.

As far as whether Generations is worth the money, I'm not sure—I've never actually played with its content. But most people seem to think that it falls somewhere between a stuff pack and a proper EP, and that it's only worth the price if you catch it on sale. The annoying features can be modded out easily enough though, mostly with NRaas Retuner.
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    But what would be the point in buying it on Steam? Will I be able to get the serial key and use it on Origin? I've seen online shops sell serial keys but I'm not sure that's legit?
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    I see Generations for €3.11 online from a source of that I know that it (usually?) works. No idea what you consider "legit". I guess opinions differ. As long as the key works, it should at least be a legit key, I would think.
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    I think they actually sell their accounts alongside the game 🤷🏼‍♀️
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2019
    But what would be the point in buying it on Steam? Will I be able to get the serial key and use it on Origin? I've seen online shops sell serial keys but I'm not sure that's legit?
    When you purchase the base game on Steam, that unlocks the rights to purchase the Steam version of the EP/SPs. You do not need to install the Steam version of any of these, but you do need to be able to run the Steam client program. That one will reveal the Origin codes that Steam throws in at no extra charge and that can be used for Origin installs if the player prefers to stay on that platform. It's not (usually) going to be worth it for one EP, but for many packs it can be quite a cost savings during one of Steam's routine several times per year sales. Note that this does not work with the Mac version of the Steam client program, the customer must have access to the Windows version, because Steam does not carry TS3 for Mac.

Steam is an authorized re-seller of the game and authorized provider of those Origin codes. In fact, they are under an agreement with EA to provide those Origin codes with every purchase.

Turjan wrote: »
    I see Generations for €3.11 online from a source of that I know that it (usually?) works. No idea what you consider "legit". I guess opinions differ. As long as the key works, it should at least be a legit key, I would think.
    Places that are not authorized re-sellers may very well sell keys that "work," but if/when Origin (EA) detects them as from unauthorized sources a week, month, or two years later, they are known to rescind those keys with no warning to the player and the base game or packs not only stop working through an Origin install but the player is blocked from repurchasing them and reinstalling that way until they have a real time discussion with customer service and get the products unblocked from their accounts. What happens here is that the re-sellers can, sometimes unbeknownst to them, be selling codes that have changed hands a few times and in the beginning EA suffered a chargeback for them meaning they were essentially stolen. "As long as the key works" is not a very good test for its legitimacy or ability to keep being used.

Here is a list of authorized re-sellers through which this kind of thing should not happen.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/where-to-buy-ea-games-v2

The other providers of game codes online may be totally shady outfits or they may be totally above board and stand behind what they are selling, but they still might be carrying codes that will not work or will stop working after a while. And they may have great customer service and replace those codes for the customer a year later (or provide a refund), but neither one will at that point help the game run again.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited August 2019
    I guess so. The safest option is to just wait for a sale here.
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    Thanks for the information! Atleast now I know my options. And seems the only options are waiting for sales on steam or origin. Game retailers are so hard to come by here anymore, and they very rarely have older games. :\