Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any mods that give days off school etc?

Maybe I'm the only one, but I tend to get very bored with playing with teenagers (and kids) Because of the never ending school pressure. I would love for the school to be either shorter days or perhaps even monday-thursday or mon-wednesday, etc.

I'm wondering if there are any mods to alter the school system? I feel like my younger sims can never enjoy life at it's fullest. (I do long-plays). No summer vacation, no winter vacation, etc. We have the "special days" in Seasons, but those are few and far between. It's just grind, grind, grind every day at school.

Comments

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    Story progression mod has a feature that lets your kids have the summer off.I believe it requires the base mod plus an add on but I can’t remember which add on.When I get home I will loo.
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    There is a home school module for the Careers Mod over at Nraas. You can turn homework off. https://www.nraas.net/community/Careers

Or ship them off to a Boarding School - https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/generations/boardingschools.php
  • SimeterySimetery Posts: 66 Member
    With seasons you can make custom holidays and tick a box that sets it as a day off school. However it will also set to as a day off work :/ I kind of wish they were different check boxes.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited August 2019
    Simetery wrote: »
    With seasons you can make custom holidays and tick a box that sets it as a day off school. However it will also set to as a day off work :/ I kind of wish they were different check boxes.

You're in the Sims 3 section. Sounds like you're describing a Sims 4 feature.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2019
    Story progression mod has a feature that lets your kids have the summer off.I believe it requires the base mod plus an add on but I can’t remember which add on.When I get home I will loo.
    It's the NRaas SP Careers add-on module that allows for summer vacations if Seasons is in play. I also play very long seasons/life spans and agree that it's too much of a grind especially for teens without some serious time off now and then. But instead of giving them an entire summer off, I set it so that during that season schools are only open on Mondays and Tuesdays (or something like that, in some worlds I settle for four-day weekends). Teens with part time jobs of course still have to report for work even on days when school is not in session.

Then while rotating through some households that have no children/teens or who are all homeschooled, I suddenly cannot understand why no one in town is even going to school by 9 am and start yelling at the game, "Okay, what's wrong NOW?" Thus it's easy to become a victim of one's own cleverness (or again, something like that). :)

If what you want to do is give everyone an unexpected or otherwise unscheduled, not recurring day or a few days off from school, that can be done at any time with MasterController. On City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > MC > Sim > Intermediate > Career > Days Off: School > "X" to dismiss the filter, select everyone (should be all of the school-aged children and teens who show up), and select the number of days to give them all off of school with no penalties applied to their school performance. Doesn't have to be summertime to do it that way, and then one can arrange for one's own winter or spring breaks. (MC Cheats add-on module required)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
    @igazor - Could SP be set to give an entire season off? If so, that would be great for the children of broken homes where one parent has them (say for the school year) and the other gets them for summer/winter vacation.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    There is a home school module for the Careers Mod over at Nraas. You can turn homework off. https://www.nraas.net/community/Careers

Or ship them off to a Boarding School - https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/generations/boardingschools.php

That's it right there.I was at work and didn't have access to it.
    edited August 2019
    mw1525 wrote: »
    @igazor - Could SP be set to give an entire season off? If so, that would be great for the children of broken homes where one parent has them (say for the school year) and the other gets them for summer/winter vacation.
    By season only if the season in question is summer.

Otherwise the player would have arrange Days Off: School by way of MC for one, some, or all sims each time the intended season rolls around. The MC way is done by number of sequential school days to have off, not by season and days of the week, so some math might be required to get that right each time.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    It's the NRaas SP Careers add-on module that allows for summer vacations if Seasons is in play. I also play very long seasons/life spans and agree that it's too much of a grind especially for teens without some serious time off now and then. But instead of giving them an entire summer off, I set it so that during that season schools are only open on Mondays and Tuesdays (or something like that, in some worlds I settle for four-day weekends). Teens with part time jobs of course still have to report for work even on days when school is not in session.

Then while rotating through some households that have no children/teens or who are all homeschooled, I suddenly cannot understand why no one in town is even going to school by 9 am and start yelling at the game, "Okay, what's wrong NOW?" Thus it's easy to become a victim of one's own cleverness (or again, something like that). :)

If what you want to do is give everyone an unexpected or otherwise unscheduled, not recurring day or a few days off from school, that can be done at any time with MasterController. On City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > MC > Sim > Intermediate > Career > Days Off: School > "X" to dismiss the filter, select everyone (should be all of the school-aged children and teens who show up), and select the number of days to give them all off of school with no penalties applied to their school performance. Doesn't have to be summertime to do it that way, and then one can arrange for one's own winter or spring breaks. (MC Cheats add-on module required)

For every question there is a nraas mod, it seems, haha! ;)

I've not dared try the SP mod yet. Will there be any active settings on it if I install it? I would prefer things to be as is if I installed it, and rather add things later if I'd need or the game is getting stagnant. Same with the career add-on. Will there be any immediate changes in the game?

Mon-Tues school during summer sounds lovely tbh!
    edited August 2019
    Progression is off by default until the player switches it on, but then NRaas SP's version of progression takes over from EA's. Sims will be pushed into careers the mod thinks they should have, skilling, relationships, romantic coupling, when and how many babies and pets to have, genetics, which house sims should be living in, potentially friendships and the celebrity system will all be handled very differently. Although it's almost infinitely customizable, I'm afraid there is no way to set NRaas SP to act like EA's story progression because the two systems are so vastly different from each other.

If SP is installed but its version of progression is not switched on, then nothing much will happen but options like summer vacations won't show up as they wouldn't have any effect on the game.

The more manual MC way might be your better bet then if you are not ready to try SP for progression.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    Maybe I'm the only one, but I tend to get very bored with playing with teenagers (and kids) Because of the never ending school pressure. I would love for the school to be either shorter days or perhaps even monday-thursday or mon-wednesday, etc.

No, you're not the only one, I feel exactly the same. There are so many kids and teens in my game that most of them never even managed to get inside the schoolbuilding before the schoolday was already over. Finally I got so tired of seeing this that I decided to do something drastic, I just bulldozed the school, and voila, problem solved! :)
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Progression is off by default until the player switches it on, but then NRaas SP's version of progression takes over from EA's. Sims will be pushed into careers the mod thinks they should have, skilling, relationships, romantic coupling, when and how many babies and pets to have, genetics, which house sims should be living in, potentially friendships and the celebrity system will all be handled very differently. Although it's almost infinitely customizable, I'm afraid there is no way to set NRaas SP to act like EA's story progression because the two systems are so vastly different from each other.

If SP is installed but its version of progression is not switched on, then nothing much will happen but options like summer vacations won't show up as they wouldn't have any effect on the game.

The more manual MC way might be your better bet then if you are not ready to try SP for progression.

If I can change the school system with it more easy, then I do believe I'm willing to try the SP mod! Gonna go read a little bit about it!