Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build a house or get one off the gallery?

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    Build a home
    I build my own houses for Sims to live in but do download all the Maxis lots made for specific packs like the Spa's, bowling alley etc. and then adapt and add to them as they only contain the Basic and specific items for their packs. There's a lot you can learn from them, like cornicing and roof structures and object placement. I'm not into mods, moo or cc. but like looking at the fabulous builds on the Gallery some make.

I used to upload my builds for easy transfer between my two laptops on which I play and got to nearly ten thousand downloads but now do that via my Cloud storage so took them all off.
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    Get a house off the gallery for simplicity
    I get one from the gallery, but I design the interior myself.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    Build a home
    I always build. I don't care for the 64x64 creations RT'd on Twitter that use up over half the lot for landscaping. I can usually build a home on a 20x20 or 20x30 lot with everything my Sim needs. My latest one is an octagon shaped cabana house for the lagoon lot in Sulani. It's small enough so I can have a decent sized dock for sunbathing, but large enough to have two bedrooms and a loft upstairs.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    Build a home
    I build, because I love designing my houses and as others have stated, people seem to overuse MOO. But I am terrible at building gardens.
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• meljonesmeljones Posts: 45 Member
    I usually download off the gallery. Occasionally I will build by starting with either a maxis made or downloaded room or two.
  • Not_HumanoidNot_Humanoid Posts: 39 Member
    Gallery is simpler. Building is hard, I can't do roofs :#
  • zefronzefron Posts: 157 Member
    I'm not the best builder out there & I hate trying to make the exterior of the house look nice. it's easier just to get a house off the gallery that I like the exterior of then just completely remodel the inside to my liking/a certain sim.
    // WEREWOLF BOYBANDS //

not so berry family tree
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Build a home
    Build, that way I have the house style and type I want. If my imagination ever wonks out on me I have a shelf full of books with plans and photos of Victorian houses, many of them reprints of ones of the period. One of those is deliberately done to provide for a whole village, complete with community/public buildings.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Build a home
    Building it yourself means you can add/not add whatever you want with little fuss. No one knows your style, pallet choices, and the needs of your specific sims family like you do yourself!
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    Build a home
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I mostly build my own. Sometimes I get something off the gallery if it's a style I am not good at. Like Victorian mansions or something. And then I download it without furniture. And then I make it how I want the layout to be.

I do the same. Houses in the gallery are beautiful but I’m picky about layout and object placing. I only download if I need a house to finish off a neighborhood and don’t want to build it myself.
  • AbraKadabraAbraKadabra Posts: 304 Member
    Build a home
    Playing in a home I've built myself just feels better, plus I always build houses with a family in mind, so I know exactly how many rooms they need and what for. I also love decorating their rooms to much their personalities.
  • GorgeoiousGorgeoious Posts: 118 Member
    I do both. I enjoyed building, but am not the most creative with the exterior. I usually find something I like on the exterior and tweek the interior if necessary. It's most always necessary.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I have loved the gallery feature. It is nice to grab a house and get playing, however the gallery feels like a mess now. It takes forever to load up. My sound drivers gets borked because the music lags out from the loading. I wish I could load to a blank page so I can put in my filters before the loads. I am currently a gallery girl but the more I deal with it, the more I am changing to a builder.
  • SageOfGlimmerBrookSageOfGlimmerBrook Posts: 397 Member
    Im not a builder . And I don't want to build. I love the gallery! I use LilSimsie's save , which has the world already set up with her own lots and remodeled EA lots and I use lots from builders I follow to replace the rest.

The gallery is my most favorite Sims 4 feature.
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• Simlie20Simlie20 Posts: 59 Member
    I usually get houses from the gallery for practicality (I don't want to spend 5 hours on a house every time I log in) but if I have a dream home in mind I do my best to recreate it.
    giphy.gif
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Build a home
    I usually build my own home, unless its an apartment because I just CANNOT do those. I get annoyed with over clutter and invalid pathing on many gallery houses. I usually download community lots though.
  • flippinmaryflippinmary Posts: 180 Member
    I do both, but I'm not particularly good at building. The gallery is really frustrating now as builders seem to use every pack in their builds - many of which I don't have and the Gallery filters are useless.
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    Build a home
    I'm only here for the building. I have never downloaded anyone else's builds. I don't hardly play the game, all I do is build.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    Build a home
    I always build my houses from scratch. Even if I'm not the greatest builder in the world it gives me a better connection to the household. I love doing the room plan, and think it mostly gets pretty good, but I'm not so good at exteriors. Probably I pay less attention to exteriors because I mostly play inside their house, anyway.

I only DLed a couple lots. It can be fun exploring a house that others build, but I will normally make adjustments. I mostly move in unfurnitured though, because unless I intend to play a household that came with the house, colors and themes etc will normally not match my sims' taste.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • keene61keene61 Posts: 259 Member
    Build a home
    I normally try to find one on the gallery myself. If that fails and I can't find something that will work, I pull up Pinterest and use a houseplan and change it and adjust it to what will work. Rarely if ever do I use houses from the gallery, though.
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Neither actually, I just use the premade lots & remodel them as I see fit.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • xstxrrysequencexstxrrysequence Posts: 3,194 Member
    I occasionally build my own home. But most of the time I just get one from the gallery.
    image0.gif
    Do you like games that involve strategy? Do you like solving a mystery?
    Come try a Mafia Game!
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I have no time or inclination to build.

I like to download cheap houses with more than two bedrooms. I'm not too keen on the game's dynamic of beginning in a 1-bedroom property then building up. I like families to grow up in the same house and put their mark on it.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I'm not the worlds best builder, so I normally edit pre-existing lots (had to do this with a couple of lots in Sulani) or I download houses from the gallery.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • bubbajoe621bubbajoe621 Posts: 86 Member
    Build a home
    I generally have to build my own because I play in cutaway view and I need to have one good angle where I can see everything. Most people build like they are really standing inside the house so there will be columns and bookshelves and things sticking up every which way, making me insane. I get starter houses from the gallery because I'm not good at those.