Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone else miss actually having physical copies of Sims games?

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,547 Member
    edited August 2019
    No, I much prefer digital.
    I have to admit, it took me awhile to get over that 'rush' of grabbing a quick shower, getting dressed and jumping into my car to get to the local GameStop about 10-15 minutes away from where I live, just as the doors opened. I also miss being greeting by the very personable employees there. They seemed to know me, ever since I grabbed my first copy of Sims3, by saying "Let there be Sims…" The guy from behind the counter smiled at me. It was a warm smile of understanding, not of mockery. Afterward, they all knew what I was there for. LOL They practically had it ready to place into my hands when I reached the counter. Now, I can simply wait until CA wakes up and makes the game live. ;) Not the same, true enough, but I don't have to rush out the door. Also, since I have everything Sims2, plus most of Sims3, I don't miss the clutter in my already overloaded little office space upstairs.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Yes, I miss physical copies.
    Physical to me means I actually own the game. With digital it is technically being rented.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2019
    With the Sims 2 I was quite proud of the tower I built from all my sims game boxes. I don't really miss it though. :D Digital is just so much more convenient and I don't have to go to an actual store to get it.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Other (?)
    Physical to me means I actually own the game. With digital it is technically being rented.

Yes, you own the disc but you must go through an third party to complete the install as with most games developed today. So in some way they still have control.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Yes, you own the disc but you must go through an third party to complete the install as with most games developed today. So in some way they still have control.

I know, so now we actually never will "own" games we purchase. That is a very big negative that happened within the industry.
  • DillynJamesDillynJames Posts: 551 Member
    At this point, there would be SO MANY DISCS that one would have to store if they want the complete collection of The Sims 4. So, I think going more towards the digital side was a good call on EA's part.
    modthesims.info/member.php?u=8889989 320k downloads on ModTheSims; CarlDillynson
    edited August 2019
    Other (?)

I know, so now we actually never will "own" games we purchase. That is a very big negative that happened within the industry.

I so agree :) Old school players would remember the way the old TOSes was written where you was allowed to make one backup copy of your program and now is defunct.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    Other (?)
    At this point, there would be SO MANY DISCS that one would have to store if they want the complete collection of The Sims 4. So, I think going more towards the digital side was a good call on EA's part.

Heck, I have over more than 10 DVD and CD cases full of discs and I also have multiple cases of floppies 3.5 I threw out my 5-1/4 floppies an long time ago as I began collecting in the 80s. For me those were the golden years and the time I had the most fun :) But back to what you are saying I do agree as I have an hard time finding space for my hard copies. However there is one caveat to owning digitally the companies must stay in business or make an patch to cut the cord so you can enjoy those digital products like how GOG does it.
  • ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    Not at all. Owning a physical copy means the games have to be stored in plastic and paper and shipped all over the world. There's enough garbage floating in the oceans and polluting the air as it is.
  • Annie2008Annie2008 Posts: 108 Member
    Digital only, thank you. I have enough clutter.
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    mmmm...nope. I haven't been able to do a complete re-install of The Sims 2 because I can't find all the expansion discs, which are -- like the rest of my discs -- scattered everywhere. I don't consider it a loss, frankly.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Yes. Technology has advanced for the sake of advancement only, and it's brought with it a lot of negative things.
  • thelawtmanthelawtman Posts: 1,424 Member
    I miss them. I hate not being able to showcase them off(as well as a digital download is more of a lease than owning it)
    Could it possibly get uglier? I used to be a highly respected watcher, and now I'm a wounded dwarf with the mystical strength of a doily. I just wish I could sleep. - Rupert Giles

lpOEB4y.gif MeEUgvO.gif
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I have a box with TS3 stuff that likely has six layers of dust on them. I haven't played it in ages.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member

This is a big downside of the gaming industry lately. If they take down their servers or remove the game from their catalogue, we have nothing.
  • FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    edited August 2019
    Yes and no. I mean...I'm a collector guy so I like to have physical stuff, but at the moment I'm focused with other kinds of collections so I'm actually glad that I don't have to buy a box for each expansion anymore, they take so much space and once you installed the game, the box just sits there forever gathering dust.

I miss them from a nostalgic point of view, but I don't really care that much anymore by now.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited August 2019
    I do miss the days though long ago, when I got a CD box with a message attached, saying the developers had made a small mistake which hadn't been noticed until the game had been dispatched and could players change the setup instructions when starting up so the game could actually play it!

It did make me feel that I had personally contributed. :D
    I've still got that game but I have lost the message.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    edited August 2019
    The fewer things that do nothing but gather dust on a shelf, the better.
    Also, ecology, saved time and money: no fuel/fare on traveling to shop or postage (and fuel spent by the delivery service) for having the physical item delivered to you. No plastics and paper the packaging would take (the DVD, the case, the text on it, the box/wrapper in case of mail delivery, the receipt).

Digital all the way. Not just with games, but with e-books as well.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited August 2019
    I wish I could still buy it irl in some way
    there is no way for me to buy some of the game packs now that they went digital because payment methods of origin really do not work for me and it drives me crazy

like I don't like having million boxes and cds either because those take lot of space and its overall better to not make unneeded plastic wrapping for anything but they could still sell gp codes as gift cards or envelope type things instead or something

or sell game code lists to smaller game shops so i could buy the code without having problem with payment method

don't understand how it benefits them to make packs so hard to buy *sigh*

I'm sure I would have bought 90% more packs by now if it was easier
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Also, ecology, saved time and money: no fuel/fare on traveling to shop or postage (and fuel spent by the delivery service) for having the physical item delivered to you. No plastics and paper the packaging would take (the DVD, the case, the text on it, the box/wrapper in case of mail delivery, the receipt).

I do still buy a few real books, but I think books are different - games improve over time with technology, but we're still reading plays written by the Romans. (I have both for my Tolkien collection - I love the ability to search my Kindle copy, but if Amazon goes defunct, I've always got a good copy of LOTR.) However, since I read about 100 books a year, it's a huge relief not to have to deal with all the paper copies. Same with games. I've got boxes of games and software that are probably useless, now.

At this stage of life, the challenge is to get rid of stuff, not acquire more stuff. Unfortunately, sorting through all the junk interferes with playing the Sims.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member

I do still buy a few real books, but I think books are different - games improve over time with technology, but we're still reading plays written by the Romans. (I have both for my Tolkien collection - I love the ability to search my Kindle copy, but if Amazon goes defunct, I've always got a good copy of LOTR.) However, since I read about 100 books a year, it's a huge relief not to have to deal with all the paper copies. Same with games. I've got boxes of games and software that are probably useless, now.

At this stage of life, the challenge is to get rid of stuff, not acquire more stuff. Unfortunately, sorting through all the junk interferes with playing the Sims.

And those books of old are being digitalized. Technology improvements don't hurt them, they make them more accessible. Whether it's books or games, digital distribution is also a benefit for people with movement impairment, for example. Or in remote places. Or in the dorms where space is limited.
    Or, as is my case, getting copies in English (again, valid for both books and games) instead of translated in non-English speaking country.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • JosieAnglinJosieAnglin Posts: 591 Member
    Yeah I loved going to the store and being excited when looking at the covers of the new packs :'(
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    No. Less stuff = less mess = less anxiety
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    While I can appreciate the nostalgia that others feel, no, I don't feel that way. I made the switch and didn't really look back.

I've been like that whenever I've actually switched over a version of the game as well. When I actually make the jump, I tend not to go back.

That said, sure, I have very nice memories. I might be more nostalgic about some of the free time I had.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,341 Member
    My house is so full of stuff. I really don't need more.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".