Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dog and it's puppies not at home.

Soooo, my sims' neighbour has a dog with puppies for adoption. It's a family I made, so I made their dog myself, just if that means anything.

Twice, they've had puppies up for adoption. I haven't adopted yet but I was planning to.

Lately, however, I can adopt a puppy (not tried, just looked at the menu that it was possible), but their mama dog and puppies are nowhere to be seen at home! I've gone through every room in their house, in the garden etc. Their cat is there, but the dog and puppies are either invisible or not at home.

So I went into the nraas master controller and checked up the dog. It says the dog is at home. I've checked a few sim days now, but it's nowhere to be seen at home.

Is this normal, or? I've heard the adoption thing is buggy, so far enough, but it's just a bit strange.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2019
    There is a scenario provided by the game called the Neighborhood Pet Adoption Center. The game chooses an adult dog in an inactive household in town which then gets a special marker on it when viewed through Map View and gives them puppies for other sims to adopt. If no one adopts some or all of the puppies after a certain amount of time, they disappear from the game. The scenario is prone to failures, the worst being it can get stuck and ruin an ongoing save. Also many of us never liked it because when it does work as it should the baby animals have no second parent, even if there were other animals in town and even in the same household with whom the target mama could have been bred.

Accordingly, NRaas Overwatch has an option to shut these things down as soon as they start up. It's Overwatch > Settings > Stop Pet Adoption (is False by default); note this setting involves only the Neighborhood Center scenario types of adoptions, not other kinds when baby animals are born to resident pets within a world nor does it stop animal adoption from the shelters from which we can see rosters by way of computers and newspapers. I believe the mere presence of NRaas StoryProgression, or at least its version of progression when active, stops these Neighborhood Center scenarios from ever happening in the first place with no options given because they tend to be so broken and unrealistic.

I just had a roommate NPC adopt a puppy in my game and bring it home for my active household to fawn over and take care of, and was surprised/pleased to find it was a real puppy with two real parents from another household I am familiar with in town and not one from the pet adoption agency rosters one would see through computers and newspapers. I had the two households meet, both humans and properly blood related animals, and they are all great friends now.

If MC says the adult dog is on her home lot, then that is where she should be. She could be in a state of hibernation, as inactive sims of all kinds tend to be when they are at home and the lot is not being simulated. Have you sent a sim over to visit, which should bring all residents of that lot who are at home out of the hibernation state? Can you reset her?
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    I went over to visit twice and no trace of a dog or puppies. However, the cat was at home. The third time I went, finally the dog was there with it's puppies. Of course maybe one of the sims took the dog out for a walk or walked off property with the puppies, etc. I don't know. It's not a big lot and I searched all the rooms those two times, and found no dog at all. It seems to fix itself, it was just very strange that the dog and puppies were nowhere to be found at some point
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited August 2019
    At least y'all can get pets... if I do it crashes my computer. 😣 I really wanted a dog!

I had to remove all strays plus raccoons from my game... horses and deer are ok 50% of the time.

Minor pets are all I can have.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I went over to visit twice and no trace of a dog or puppies. However, the cat was at home. The third time I went, finally the dog was there with it's puppies. Of course maybe one of the sims took the dog out for a walk or walked off property with the puppies, etc. I don't know. It's not a big lot and I searched all the rooms those two times, and found no dog at all. It seems to fix itself, it was just very strange that the dog and puppies were nowhere to be found at some point
    When visiting prior though, did you try to do MC > Sim > Basic > Focus on the dogs? Would the game camera then take you to someplace where there were no dogs, do nothing, point up at the sky? Still seems to me they had to be somewhere identifiable at the time...
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    When visiting prior though, did you try to do MC > Sim > Basic > Focus on the dogs? Would the game camera then take you to someplace where there were no dogs, do nothing, point up at the sky? Still seems to me they had to be somewhere identifiable at the time...

Haha, no I didn't even know that existed. My nraas skills are very limited. I mainly use the mods to bypass dumb EA stuff and keep things from bugging out.
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    edited August 2019
    Is this normal, or? I've heard the adoption thing is buggy, so far enough, but it's just a bit strange.

@shakeninsane - Believe me, there's definitely nothing normal about the "Neighbourhood Pet Adoption Center", or rather the abnormal is the normal.

Here are a few examples of the crazy things it does:

Firstly it jumps around from one household to another completely randomly, and plops down, let's say, three horses on a very small lot with no stable, paddock, water trough, salt block or anything. And when you move the camera there, you can see the poor animals just standing there in the flowerbeds, looking all bewildered and totally out of place. If that's not crazy, I don't know what is...

And when it suddenly and arbitrarily decides to move on to another family, all the sims in the first one are left with plenty of blue tinted portraits of vanished animals in their relationsship panels, sometimes as many as 15-20. I don't know how long those portraits will linger on and clog up the panels, possibly for ever.
    nBq3Qjj.jpg

It also removes the limit to how many sims there can be in a household. Normally you're not allowed to exceed 10, but the Pet Adoption Center apparently thinks that 11 is a more appropriate number. Don't ask me why...
    QXEtppG.png

R0uH5Do.png

ncKoXpj.png
    Post edited by SuzyCue72 on