Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which iteration of The Sims did you start from?

Comments

• SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2019
    The Sims 1
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I started with the Sims 1 but I didn't like it cause it seemed quite pointless to me without any aging or death. Sims 2 was the game that really got me hooked on this game series.

There was plenty of death in that game actually. That's where the original take the pool ladder away came about, because they couldn't get out of the pool any other way. The not aging part was weird, especially for the kids. It was the first one though and if you started with it that's the way it was. I do remember playing it and thinking oh I wish they could do this or that. The main problem with that game for me was it was all time/need management. It was hard to have fun on your sim for long. Fun was a need and sometimes you got it out of the way because the next need was demanding attention. There were mods of course later. I really got into modding things like needs to make it more enjoyable as time went on.

Yeah I should of clarified that I meant natural deaths such as dying from old age. To me the game without aging seems quite anti life simulation as those things are a huge part of what life is about. I was hooked on the Sims 2 though from the moment they announced those things would be included. :D
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,874 Member
    The Sims 3
    Oh ok, TS3 then. I would have gotten TS2 but I didn’t have my own laptop then :( I only played TS2 on console.

Hestia wrote: »
    Dianesims wrote: »
    The Urbz actually:) Does it count as Sims 1 or Sims 2 ?

This poll is specifically for the PC version. :)

• InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    The Sims 2
    The Sims 2, but only the Gamecube and GB versions. I never had a computer that I could put the sims on until like 5 years ago. What's great is that I still have my GC and the memory cards all my save files are on!
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    The Sims 1
    It launched when I was in my mid 20's. Played it for 15 years, until it would not easily load on my computer with Windows 10.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited August 2019
    The Sims 1
    @NorthDakotaGamer If you need help loading up TS1 on your windows 10, send me an inbox. :) I don’t want to derail the thread.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    The Sims 1
    Hestia wrote: »
    @NorthDakotaGamer If you need help loading up TS1 on your windows 10, send me an inbox. :) I don’t want to derail the thread.

No need, I don't even have my discs anymore. We did a purge the last time the family moved and those were one thing that left.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    The Sims 1
    Oh no! That’s unfortunate. :(@NorthDakotaGamer
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    The Sims 1
    SimmerMars wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I’m definitely an OG Triple OG

I remember killing my child Sims in Sims 1 because they had glasses.

That is too funny!! :D

Lol I didn’t want to be a murderer! But back then you couldn’t pick what your kid looked like if they were born in-game.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    The Sims 2
    I said TS2 because it was the first one in the main franchise I actually played for a significant amount of time. I have played TS1 on console but gave up after awhile because it was so hard to keep all my sims happy. Then I moved on to games like Bustin Out and Urbz before TS2 came out for the ps2. After that I was hooked. It wasn't until Sims Life Stories and eventually TS3 that I actually played on the pc for the first time.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    The Sims 1
    The original on day 1. Learned about it doing an economics paper in grad school and was sold long before it hit the shelves.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    The Sims 3
    Difficult answer.

I actually started with Sim City - the original version.

When The Sims happened, I was aware of it, but wanted it to be something pretty much impossible - I wanted Sim City, with all that that was, plus being able to zoom in to individual citizens and households, to see all the businesses in my commercial zones, just zoom right in.

But it was the "build sim" aspect of Sim City that captivated me initially, and so my attention drifted sideways into similar games with fun twists on them, like Tropico.

Sims Social on Facebook (now defunct) was my first (shallow) dip into The Sims, but it didn't take me far.

I didn't really get sold on the franchise again - and The Sims in particular - until my niece was given TS3: Supernatural for Christmas one year.

I was just then deeply disappointed in the game I had been playing for their studio's critical mis-handling of a sensitive issue that affected me directly. Knowing that witches and werewolves and fairies were available in The Sims piqued my interest, and got me started.

I stayed with TS3 for a long time - late adopter, acquiring content gradually, meant I still had lots to explore when the stripped-down, bare bones, base game TS4 was released.

I deliberately gave TS4 time to accumulate new features and expansions, and finally migrated to it when the base game was released for free, because it's hard to beat that deal. I am by no means dissatisfied with the change.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    The Sims 1
    Sims 1 when it came out in 2000
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    The Sims 2
    I saw an add on TV for Sims 2, decided to try it and have been a Sims fan ever since.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    The Sims 1
    TS1 - since I was a teen. By far the hardest, but so enjoyable. I remember when I had no clue how to get the sims married and I would just buy two beds and place them next to one another so I looked like they were married. All my potted plants died. I barricaded the door when I got a prank call. Those were the days! I think I sometimes went days without eating because of that game. Some weekends I didn't see the sun at all.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    The Sims 1
    My youngest who was about 9 at the time had seen her friends mother playing it, and told my oldest daughter and I about it. And, we all began playing on one computer. We were hooked by the sims 2 which was actually my favorite. With sims 3 there were too many rabbit holes from the beginning and my computer crashed from it, so I gave up pretty much in the beginning. Sims 4 I have all the packs, but wish in many ways it was more like sims 2.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    edited August 2019
    The Sims 1
    Technically, I started at TS1. I say technically because I did play the base game & was too broke (yay student days) to get any expansions. Then I moved and was computer-less for quite a while, at least when it came to games. I picked up The Urbz at some point in there when a roommate had a PS2 and played that for a while but that was a whole different experience. (I did since get the full set of TS1 and will look into getting it to run just for the nostalgia) So there's a gap in my Sims experience due to various circumstances.

I didn't get back into Sims until recently - I saw TS4 but it was out of my price range at the start and gaming was restricted to watching my kid play Just Dance and such. Then my kid found TS3, fell in love, and now we're both on TS4 and spending probably way too much time on it (on different laptops, thankfully, her gameplay is vastly different from mine).
    So, uh, is there an option for that on the poll?

ETA: because I almost forgot but in the time when I didn't play on PC, I did play Freeplay. Only really mentioning it because the frustration with that becoming a race to complete events is what did get me looking into the PC game.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited August 2019
    The Sims 4
    I didn't play any games until I was 45 years old, so I never got to try any other Sims games. I first played Sims Freeplay on my tablet and later I wanted to try Sims on PC.
    I had heard a lot of bad things about Sims 4, so I decided to watch few let's play videos on YouTube to see what was so awful about it and make sure it was worth it. I didn't see anything bad, I watched many videos from different Sims gamers and I liked the game instantly and decided to buy it, it was spring 2015. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
    I wish I would've had the chance to try the older Sims games, especially Sims 2.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,446 Member
    The Sims 2
    Sims 2. My one true love. ❤️
    #Team Occult
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    The Sims 1
    I've played everything but Medieval.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2019
    The Sims 1
    I started with Sims 1 actually brought it twice gave one one to my neice as I was buying all my games in bulk at the time and never got the chance to load or play it when it first cam out. Then an few years later I brought the whole set again and again did not play until 2005 and when I did I was hooked but found it too hard and I had brought Sims 2 in 2004 and did not play it until after I played Sims 1 sometime inm 2005 and soon as I started to play I gave up on Sims 1 and fell in love with Sims 2 which will always be my favorite and Sims 3 second. Sims 4 for me is not as exciting as Sims 2 or 3 so it is my least liked version.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited August 2019
    The Sims 1
    In our family, we started with Sims 1, near the end of its run. We bought the complete collection and were instantly enthralled. We modded it almost immediately because it was very challenging for my young daughter at the time (especially Superstar, which she was very interested in). We enjoyed the Sims 1 so much that we didn't migrate to the Sims 2 until really late, just before Freetime, and we bought most of its EPs and SPs on sale or as part of bundles. We actually played Life Stories and the Console Game first for a bit, because my daughter had received those as gifts, and we enjoyed them so much we decided to get the regular game. We also played Castaway (which we really enjoyed despite the lack of babies and children).

TS2 was even more fun than TS1 and not quite as challenging (the sims didn't burn themselves to death barbecuing if you failed to pause the game while going to the bathroom). We didn't bother with as many mods as a result, and we played the game with great dedication until well into TS3, and even after we bought TS3. In many ways, I think it still hasn't been equalled, so I agree with those who think TS4 should more like it. I even still occasionally play it. I particularly like all the complex socials and the more detailed sim animations (if you compare them to either TS3 or TS4 they are much longer and more varied, and the cut scenes are very nice too).

TS3 didn't impress us at first. We waited to get it because we didn't like the dumpy look of the sims, and we found the basegame kinda thin compared to the fullness of TS2. We also thought there were far too many rabbit holes, like restaurants, for activities that used to be live (and really fun) in TS1 and TS2. We also soon found that we needed to mod the game (with NRAAs mods) in order for it to be playable at all with issues like the cars filling up inventories, stuck sims, lost toddlers, routing problems, error 12s, stereos that wouldn't play etc), even though we had a good computer for the day. I have mixed feelings when I remember the bitter frustrations and disappointments caused by that game. However, all the packs and the various store worlds added a lot to TS3, and, once we had stabilized it with mods, we played it with enthusiasm as well, enjoying a lot of its varied content (especially World Adventures, Ambitions, Seasons -- especially the Seasons festivals -- and Supernatural).

TS4 was very disappointing to me when it came out. My daughter (a long time fan) refused to play the game (and still hasn't played it) due to the absence of so many basic things: not just the newer innovations like the colour wheel and the open world, but foundational things to the franchise like ghosts, pools and toddlers. Both of us continued to play TS3, but eventually I was sucked into the new game during a free promotional weekend and ended up buying it during an early sale, along with Outdoor Retreat and the extra digital content. By that time the pools and ghosts had been reintroduced (thank heavens!), but I still really missed toddlers and other key elements from previous games.

Gradually, though, the TS4 sims themselves grew on me. I found them attractive and quirky (I don't agree that they lack personality btw), and started to enjoy taking them out to venues and telling their stories. The loading screen still annoys me a bit, but the game is very stable and runs really well on my laptop, even with the highest settings. Unlike with TS3, I have never lost a save, and I rarely even have game crashes (the few that have happened turned out to be the fault of cc). After Dine Out and Parenthood, the Game Packs started to make the game feel really fun, and I also enjoyed the early EPs like Get to Work and Get Together (especially the latter); I like all the others now too. Five years into the run, I think the game is a solid entry in the series, in part because of all the free edits and fixes the developers have provided to the players, (like dishwashers, toddlers, the gender restrictions being lifted, terrain edit tools etc), which have improved the stripped down base game so much.

I can still think of dozens of ways I would like the game to be improved despite really enjoying it, but because Maxis seems to be treating it like a WIP, I have hope that at least some of my desired enhancements might find themselves into the game eventually.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    The Sims 4

I have glasses... I feel for that kid, I was teased in school for it.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    The Sims 1

I made like 8 of the same sims in a household and put them in the Michael Bachelor house with no necessary items so they all starved and got into fights and most died. And I put the graves in the backyard. Rinse and repeat.

I think there was like almost 50 graves or something. It was the most haunted lot ever and it's funny cuz the more ghosts you have coming up at night, the newer sims living there will not be able to fall asleep. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited August 2019
    The Sims 2
    I'd like to say Sims 1, but my time with Sims 1 was mostly spent just me making stupid characters with names like "🐸🐸🐸🐸" or curse words and finding ways to kill them. And it was mostly houses of just dudes because girls were icky and had cooties. Sims 2 however is when I actually you know, played the game.....Well for the first few months I was using the CAS to create horrible monstrosities and find ways to kill them.............................................................................................................................................................Then I started playing the Sims 2 the right way, I even had girls in my game! OOOOooooOOOOoh.

EDIT Apparently I can't say "Butt" if it's anywhere near "Face".....Or maybe I just can't say butt.