Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things I like about TS4

2...Next

Comments

• halihali Posts: 66 Member
    edited August 2019
    • Compared to past iterations, I believe TS4 has the most accessible building mechanisms for building structures and rooms specifically. In other words, I've found it much easier than ever before to build rooms and buildings in particular - making the building of rooms and building structures more approachable to a wider range of players.
    • I appreciate TS4 team's attempt to represent more ethnicities. IMO the effort made is a marked improvement from when I was first introduced to The Sims series and there were literally only three ethnicities depicted. Even for the time, the lack of more diverse representation was, frankly, unacceptable. (IMO, TS4 team still needs to research more deeply to improve the ways they choose to incorporate cultural diversity into this game (and its series going forward) - there are still a lot of cultures that aren't represented accurately or well or at all, but I don't want to derail this thread; so I won't go into detail. ... )
    • Cleaning up dishes isn't a tedious click each and every individual soiled/spoiled dish/bottle chore (as it once was).
    • I appreciate how TS4 team is getting better and better at improving the aesthetic of new, not recolored assets (IMO, with each pack's release, they've gotten better at improving texture and detail. For example, take a look at the curly hairstyle from base game's original release (feminine category) - when I first saw that particular asset I literally thought the curls of the hair were soft rollers, most often worn by women as they slept, to set their curls for the following day. Compare those curls to the curls the team was able to create for the free Caribbean patch/update, Seasons EP, or any of the other curls that have come after that time. Newly made clothing assets which aren't recolors of previously released content have greater detail too (e.g. folds, wrinkles, tucks, etc..., fabrics aren't only and always stiff/flat and pristine-looking.)
    • Season's calendar system for the added layer of storytelling it allows players.
    • Toddlers (although I wish TS4's toddlers could be carried/taken out in the world and this could be seen in the background as one plays; also wish they had assets similar to TS2's xylophone to play).
    • Relieved this game doesn't include burglars this time around. (Would love the return of fire fighters to put out fires--esp now that fires tend to occur more often after the IL update/patch--& I'd like the return of the threat of property repossession if bills aren't paid because it adds greater challenge to the game by creating in-game incentive/greater consequence to paying bills late.)

Post edited for clarification.
    Post edited by hali on
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    hali wrote: »
    • Hands down best building mechanics of any The Sims game thus far
    • Best toddlers the franchise has had thus far
    • The attempt to be more culturally inclusive is a massive improvement to all past iterations
    • Cleaning up dishes isn't a tedious click each and every individual dirty/spoiled dish/bottle chore anymore
    • The calendar system is great
    • No burglars - I was relieved they weren't included this time around (would love the return of fire fighters & the threat of property repossession if bills aren't paid)
    One side note (not that I agree with everything but that’s preference), as for the bold: I don’t understand why removing single tiles must be so hard. That should definitely return from the previous games.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited August 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    hali wrote: »
    • Hands down best building mechanics of any The Sims game thus far
    • Best toddlers the franchise has had thus far
    • The attempt to be more culturally inclusive is a massive improvement to all past iterations
    • Cleaning up dishes isn't a tedious click each and every individual dirty/spoiled dish/bottle chore anymore
    • The calendar system is great
    • No burglars - I was relieved they weren't included this time around (would love the return of fire fighters & the threat of property repossession if bills aren't paid)
    One side note (not that I agree with everything but that’s preference), as for the bold: I don’t understand why removing single tiles must be so hard. That should definitely return from the previous games.

I also don't think TS4 build mode is better. I only think its easier and thats fine for some players. I personally hate foundations and terrain tools in TS4 but on the other side I like the roofs and trims and ornaments that add personality to the buildings! Still hope they release other stair types, round pools and functional elevators! But my expectations are almost 0!
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    @Renato10 @JoAnne65 Agreed. On top of my head, these are the missing things in Build Mode for TS4:

- Spiral stairs.
    - Elevators.
    - Separate foundation levels.
    - Ponds.
    - More variety of terrain tools.
    - A larger range of tiles and wall paints.
    - More fences and railings.
    - Curved pools.
    - Pool bar.
    - Pool waterfall.
    - Pool slide.
    - Diving board. (BASE GAME) + the ones that stick out of the water.
    - More foundation types.
    - Ceiling paint.
    -Garages (Cars lol)
    - Awning placement like walls. Not "objects".
    - Decorative plants that can be watered.
    - Actual flowerbeds.
    - Greenhouses.
    - Ladders.
    - Multi-story windows.

^ Reasons why I don't do build at all in TS4.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Sims 4 doesn't freeze up everytime you install a new game, the lifestates in occult can look different, build mode is cooler, the cats don't look like a small version of the dogs, there's more abilities, skills & powers, better makeups & better facial features than Sims 3. That beening said, the Sims 4 still needs SPIRAL STAIRS, OPEN WORLDS, & COLOR WHEELS.
  • halihali Posts: 66 Member
    @JoAnne65, @Renato10, & @Hestia - I've phrased poorly; I've edited my post to--I hope--be more clear and specific as to what I like about TS4.

The grid/flooring mechanics of TS4 is more frustrating than it has been in previous games. But, the building of rooms and buildings, in particular, is a more streamline, easier process than it's been in games past (so I've found). The way building rooms and buildings is set up in TS4, isn't without flaw, but it is easier and, therefore, IMO, a more assessable feature for a wider range of players to utilize.
    (-This was the first point I meant to make, but didn't word well.)

((Off this thread's topic but for clarity's sake: there is a lot to build mode I don't appreciate, find frustrating, and know & agree is lacking (space-saving 2x2 spiral staircases, elevators that functioned as they did in previous games, curved pools, multiple small appliances, seating that actually looks comfortable to sit on, etc...etc....) but I won't detail for the sake of this thread's focus. ... Too sleep deprived to notice my poor choice of words led to misunderstandings of what I meant to express. I don't disagree with y'all, just wanted to clarify what I meant when I originally submitted my previous [poorly phrased] post.
    p.s. I'm completely new to contributing to the forums; still learning. Been reading news announcements/threads for 1.5 years, but I've never gotten signup to work until a few days ago. Have literally signed in 5x [why it says I've visited over 30x..??..I'm completely confused by]...) Anyway, hope this comment isn't seen as 'derailment' -sorry OP.))
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    I love CAS and being able to chose 5 different outfits for each category. I only choose one outfit for sleepwear and swimming and use the remaining slots for additional everyday wear.

The Gallery. I'm not a builder so I do love being able to download lots and rooms directly into the game.

I love that I can travel between worlds to visit family and friends. Because of this I'm not feeling the need to have all of my community lots in one world. I can send my sims to Sulani for a day of fun and sun on the beach and the next day they can trek the jungle in Selvadorada.

I like the emotions. I like trying to get my sims into a particular emotional state in order to complete a goal. Write a book, paint a masterpiece, school performance, etc.

Gardening, evolving, and grafting.

Toddlers. No need to say more.

I love the goal based aspirations, careers, and events.

I love that my sim can complete multiple aspirations.

Love the fame perks and quirks, and vampire ranks and powers.

Love the introduction of character values in Parenthood.

This list is hardly exhaustive but just a few of my favorite game play features off the top of my head.

• EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    edited August 2019
    Alright folks going to remind everyone of the change in rules, if you wish to compare games then please do so in a dedicated thread. Do not derail threads that are not posted to compare the games.

If someone posts something that goes against the rules please report it and don't call it out. It just ends up pushing the thread off course. Carry on
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    The Gallery. I'm awful at building so it's nice to be able to pop online and get what I need.

Toddlers

Vampires

Being able to go to all the worlds and not being stuck in one for the entire time I play that specific save.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2019
    I liked the island in WB. I really did love that island and my Sims living in all the houses I bulldozed and I rebuilt there.

I liked the Vampires pack, it was a lot of fun in my opinion. I really loved Vlad and his evil side. I loved he broke into my Sim's home late one night and I barely heard the knock on the door and my Sim opened the door to invite him in, that was a hoot. Perfect folklore.

I liked cafes they were interesting especially when I put one in a fake hotel and played some of my Sims lived in that hotel (they actually did) and they used the cafe to entertain their 'hotel guests' (hands off other Sims I put there living in the hotel).

I really liked DO and built many different type of restuarants and foods, even McDonald's where they ate outside. I also liked running some restuarants in tiny diners roadside inns. It was an interesting concept and totally different from OFB.

I liked playing at the hospital. I didn't follow all the tasks once I figured out all I really had to do was do the chore under the briefcase. Left me a lot more time to entertain myself with walking around the weird lonely city there, and doing other things like causing trouble at the hospital for other Sims.

I really enjoyed the good cop/bad cop concept of playing a cop in GTW. Sherlock had a lot of fun with interrogations.

I liked the one Spice District in CL, it was my favorite area in that world. If I moved Sims there they lived in that area. I felt it was more inline with my idea of what type of Sims lived there (a struggling band was one type of household I put there).

I enjoyed the new karoake setup, my singers/band had a lot of fun with that.
    I enjoyed building a make shift mall I think that was one of my favorite spots to take my Sims for a day of shopping, food, swimming, workouts, movies, manicures, etc.

I really liked the movie pack, it helped me enjoy a theater I built where all my Sims would show up and watch a movie (autonomously) then grab a food or drink from the mini bar (like concessions)..it was great and worked very well for a very long time.

I loved I could send a little boy named David off to the movies or around town alone and then not worry where he was, while I played the adults at home, then he would eventually come home on it's on. That was perfect to the actual characters I was playing. It fit right in with how they lived because he was the type of Sim who should and could go off alone and get in trouble or be out and get lectured when he didn't come home on time (pretend) it was great the game let me do that.

I liked running a photo shop in GTW, didn't make much money to start but a lot of fun trying and trying to get Sims to pose.

I liked the clothes in TS4, (what packs I had) because they had a '60's flare to them that fit one story I was playing in one particular household.

I could go one about many things I enjoyed about TS4, I just wish I had liked the later packs that came after Parenthood. I did like that new concept too. Some of my parents were not very good..lol, and encouraged bad behavior. lol

I liked I could build a TARDIS and make it bigger on the inside by having a police box in a lot and the inside all hidden underground, the Doctor Who challenge someone came up with was interesesting gameplay for a challenge. And quite hard to complete, lol but no time pressures other than 'aging' and 'transformation' into a new Doctor making one have to apply a little more effort to get the tasks of one doctor done before the next. Had to do some fancy footwork in that one. (no cheats allowed)

I liked the protesting in TS4 it was different than before and maybe not as much but still interesting twist.

I liked a few stay at home jobs, but wanted self employment for their title instead of unemployed. Especially since they had kids in school and toddlers at home. Stay at home helped with that.

I like the aging toggles in TS4 and hope they keep those for future games more so than any other game's aging choices. Those were very important to me, and good choices too keep.

I liked the wall heights those were new and great.

I really liked the Lice freezer because it helped me build a grocery store where all my Sims could shop for veggies without my Sims having to garden (only one had to do all the work and fill it up) but it kept getting broke from save to save, so grocery store no longer worked. But it was a really great idea for a very long time.

There are many objects and gameplay and toggles and things I like about TS4, it's just I haven't been dazzled in a few years. But TS4 also has some stuff worth doing and keeping for future games.

Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    My Library....

As someone who has multiple Save games I really appreciate that I can access my lots and families in My Library so easily and can see and remember the families I've saved. I've got nearly 200 and like to put them in different situations and worlds from save to save. I get fond of them. :)
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Forgot to mention, to give another where it's due, are TS4 environments and just overall looks of the world. Such as waterfalls in GM. Looks stunning and developers know how to deliver it.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I wanted to add Multitasking. I know it can be bittersweet but it is something I do like more so when the game first came out. I love how a sim can grab a plate sit down eat, watch TV, and talk to a family member or friend that's watching with them. I like how they can
    continue dancing and chatting at the same time.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".