Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can teenagers live alone in the sims 3.

2...Next

Comments

• LadyGreenEyesLadyGreenEyes Posts: 928 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I see there is once again a slight misunderstanding among several players here as to what public education is all about. I am a product of that system myself. Skills? -- Ha! I say. The point of making the young ones go to school is to keep them off the streets and out of everyone's hair (yes, some adults actually want their kids and teens around and in their hair but we're talking about sacrificing things for the greater good here), teach senseless conformity, how to cope with hopelessly awkward social situations and get what is probably their first introduction to antisocial and even semi-psychotic behavior on the part of their peers, how to cope with equally incompetent figures of authority, instill senses of hopelessness and dread for the future and thus toughen them up as what are to be the more successful ones in life find ways to avoid falling into that trap, dumb down what should be the brighter and more motivated students because one's goals should never be higher than "just average" (no one in life likes a wiseguy or someone who thinks they know everything anyway), and to provide a barely edible lunch. Absolutely no difference between my public school experiences and the ones our sims' kids are supposed to be having.

Do I really need to bring out the Pink Floyd video again? >:):p
    ("We don't need no education...")

Okay, but seriously. This is all why so many of us use the NRaas Careers mod with its School and Tones add-on modules. Public schools will at least offer some semblance of proper skill building during school hours once regular homework is done and in addition to the afterschool clubs (if one has Generations), while the private schools that convene at rabbitholes already in most of our worlds do an even better job for those who get to go to those - they are free of private school fees in many of my worlds, paid for by the town's taxpayers. And also why so many players embrace the open school concept that Zerbu's mod brings to the table. A better developed younger generation provides not only some great opportunities for our own sims' kids, but can only serve to make the inactives around them more rounded and interesting to be around as they get older. While homeschooling and having the kids build their skills of our own choosing as we command them to are great options, unless one is playing the entire town in rotations the other kids around ours may well be diligent about doing their homework but they are not really going to develop well on their own. And that can make for some pretty boring next generations to be around as time passes.

Without mods, well there are fewer choices. And yes, removing all of the schools so that no one has to put up with being locked up in a rabbithole for a huge portion of the day accomplishing just about nothing is indeed one of those still available to try. :)

This is exactly why I love the home school option from Nraas! Best mod ever, past the necessary Story Progression and Overwatch, of course! I hadn't thought of deleting the school....hmmm.....might have to try that! Great comment! The kids love it, too, because we home school in real life as well, so it fits what they know!

Thanks to the Nraas people, btw - you make the game what it should always have been!!