Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Witches - Realm of Magic - inspiration

I've been so excited for the new Witches, I've been watching lots of TV shows and reading books on the subject. So exciting!

Netflix has TV show called The Worst Witch, has anyone seen it? It's very cute
It has a nice witchy school, cauldrons broom flying, and all the likes!
Like 1st of Harry Potter (aka my favorite movie, due to everyone looking very much like wizards and dressing so).
And one of wizards, a man, is one turned from frog! So he catches flies sometimes and can become frog again to live in the pond. I feel like itd be great hidden trait 😁🐸
Ah, cant wait for all the amazing witchy outfits and pointy hats.
I hope we get levitation spells! As in, sims wave hands with sparkles and magically the dishes float to clean themselves in sink, or laundry floats to load itself, and food cooks itself. Itll be easy way of taking care of household and yet so magical, noone but witches could do so! And magic broom sweeping on its own (activated and like a remesh of roomba)
I hope there will be children magic as well, to eventually hopefully make magic school academies that aren't just for teens and up!
Weather spells, elemental magic, Vampire skill tree magic, Astronomy/astrology, moon dial + celestial events (lunar eclipse, red moon, blue moon, solar eclipse, moon phases), cauldron potions, alchemy, enhanced herbalism, spiral staircases, flying broomsticks, magic scrolls, magical ingredients, bookcases, floating books, cute or fiery dragons, scrying crystal balls, runes, and many many more.
And as for the Realm itself, I'm hoping for spooky enchanted forest, with a frog swamp where cursed sims as frogs live, when kissed turn to sims but retain ability to visit frog family and friends there. In woods would live witches, and future werewolves and fairies. And a medieval European village, with superstitious folk living simple life and tell tales of magic beings, and a kind old witch that heals others and cares for her village folk. And 3rd area, an Arthurian castle with royalty, Merlin-like wizard, and grandeur balls with ballroom dancing (which if magic is added, could make sims dance while elevated up and down, with magical dazzling effect.
I want to be able to make all sort of wizards, old and wise, old and crazy, young and brilliant, evil and good, natural and earthy, etc. I wonder if we can also get Staffs! Of magic, Merlin style, and there could be an Elderly new walk where they walk, holding onto the staff, and have a bit if hunchback/leaned walk to them, like old movie wizards do. He could be a wonderful mentor to old and new witches!
I cant wait to see the Realm of Magic, and I hope it will be as amazing as Vampires are.

Comments

• MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2019
    My inspiration mainly comes from Once Upon a Time and Avatar the Last Airbender, X-Men, Avengers, the Young Avengers. and then the inspiration moves to other Video Games like Kingdom Hearts, Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy and the Elder Scrolls.
    Personally, wasn't a fan of Harry Potter, or Rowling's concept of Magic.

Ultimately, I hope for more awesome bigger, bolder, powerful, extravagant, Spells.
    I want to be able to look at my characters like those other video games and be able to genuinely say "Wow/Whoa that looked awesome!"
    Not "I suppose that's good enough."
    Not just fluffy spells that temporarily put sims in frog costumes.
    I want spells that can actually devastate another sims life.

Curses that ruin a Sim's chance at achieving an aspiration. A curse of infertility, for example could do the trick for Sims who have the Big Happy Family and Successful Lineage Aspirations. Ingredients, For a curse like this should definitely be unpleasant, I would say:
    3 Orchids, and the tears of a Toddler/Child.

I'd agree with the World, I'm Hoping for The Dark Ages, Medieval, Renaissance, France/England. Hoping for Kingdom really a big, or bigger than a 100x100 lot (In addition more floor Heights.( want to be able to build a 7 floor castle)
    for my Sorcerer's or King's Castle pending on what the city looks like.
    and thence could have 50x50 lots surround the castle, the Market Square for Shops. I'm not going to make magic shops only because my Sorcerer is going to be the all powerful trusted Mage, everyone should be coming to him for potions, enchantments, prophecies, he shouldn't be going to someone else.
    But I would love a Blacksmith, Some non magic skills would be cool metalworking skill line, Craft swords, We could have sword fighting/Fencing skills. Craft other things like wrought iron chandeliers and candelabras. maybe an Archery Skill in line with Woodworking, woodworking you can craft bows and arrows, and maybe Shields, and design a Coat of Arms would be cool with Get Together too.

So basically what I'm doing is a Arthurian-like Story. My Sorcerer is Lord Kaegan Castor, Arch Mage of Briarheart, The King's Royal Advisor, and Best friend. My story starts off with Him and his twin brother Daerick age 18, trying to find a place to call home, since their last home was destroyed.
    So the Build a Tower and over time became the most powerful Sorcerers in the known realms.

Then with 17th-19th century Baroque fashion.
    So I would love cloaks and robes but I also want to dress my sorcerer like French Nobility. Kaegan is a lot like The Sorcerer, in the Sorcerer's Apprentice, and he does play the part of Merlin in my game really well. Except, He is Kaegan, Not Merlin, so that makes him way more powerful!"

I want a challenge for once. I want to be able to create my own Enchanted Magic Mirror, my own enchanted Flying broomstick/Cleaning Servant.
    The Key word is enchanted. Utilize enchantments! I should be able to choose and buy any common mirror in the mirror catalog. and then my sim can imbue the mirror with their own power until it's fully enchanted. Once the mirror is teeming with magic. the Sorcerer needs to cast a Isolation Curse on a Victim of choice. The curse will trap the sim in the Looking Glass. and voila you have your own Personal one-of-a-kind Magic Mirror.
    That's how it should work I don't want nothing pre-made.

Same with a broomstick enchant it to fly, or be a automatous cleaning servant/Babysitter.

I think If we wanted to do Grim Brother/Disney styled things, If your sorcerer made a sleeping curse your sim could use any fruit, vegetable or use their cooking/mixology skill to slip it into a dish/drink, it doesn't have to be an Apple. If you want your curses broken you can optionally build a failsafe into your curses. For example if you want True Loves Kiss, wake a victim under a Sleeping Curse, You need Plasma of the Sim of the highest relationship of the intended victim. Remember True Love isn't just Romantic, it's also Friendship.
    If you turn a Sim into another Life state, you should be able to decide if you want it to be permanent or temporary. You could choose to give the Curse or spell a time limit:
    Midnight.
    Before this Flower Withers.
    Before the 3rd Sunset.
    Before the next Full Moon rises.

Oh and another thing, If I cast a Sleeping curse on a sim, Take them out of commission when I'm rotating households. I will be mad if I rotate to another house and see that victim walking around, happy like nothing happened.
    If I played my sorcerer and I put another sim under a sleeping curse. that sim should be sleeping no matter what household I switch too. even their own household.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    I'm not really into witches and magic so I"m hoping we atleast get fairies in addition and some carnival rides like TS1 makin magic did. I will be buying this GP. I hope it adds an instrumental horror radio station like TS3 Movie Stuff had. I hope the world is also haunted looking like Forgotten Hollow except much bigger.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Oooooh I love the Worst Witch! Harry Potter is still number 1 though- Nothing beats Hippogriffs and Parseltongue. And I do think it would be cool for sims who have been previously turned into frogs for a certain period of time to have a hidden trait, as long as they can be turned into frogs. Still, however, hoping the world is like Hogsmeade with a castle in the distance that is an active school for children and teens to learn magic...
    funny-gifs20.gif

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I've been trying to avoid "research" into different magical inspirations. I know what my ideal magic system is. I also know that it's not feasible within a computer game even if that game were dedicated to the concept. There is no way they're going to manage it with a game pack for the Sims. So I don't want to try to predict what they will do based on any given media franchise, because I'm sure someone will be disappointed in their choice (and Warner Brothers & J.K. Rowling might have something to say about aping Harry Potter too closely.)

That said, I guess in my ideal that would be feasible, there would be a small handful - perhaps 4 to 5 - of spell lists, each dedicated to a different "school" of magic. You get one you're strong in, two you're good at, and the rest either is difficult or impossible. It's loosely (very, very loosely) based on the structure used by the Dresden Files RPG (and I think the books... it's been a while since I read them) where mages are great in one element, good in another two, and lousy at the one that opposes their first element.

And I'll say right now, I don't like using the term witches for the occult type for various reasons. The most relevant being that it brings up some very specific imagery that I find rather limiting. However, I can and will deal with it if that's the term they use. (I understand that it was the term used for previous iterations of the concept.)
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm not really into witches and magic so I"m hoping we atleast get fairies in addition and some carnival rides like TS1 makin magic did. I will be buying this GP. I hope it adds an instrumental horror radio station like TS3 Movie Stuff had. I hope the world is also haunted looking like Forgotten Hollow except much bigger.

for carnival rides im hoping for a separate gamepack. covers really well done modular roller coasters and carnival rides and food etc.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Angellulu wrote: »
    Like 1st of Harry Potter (aka my favorite movie, due to everyone looking very much like wizards and dressing so).
    It's a remake, based on a series of books that predates the harry potter franchise. The first book came out in 1974.

Personally, I prefer slightly darker themes...

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    btvs-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-vampire-willow-Favim.com-290906.gif
    giphy.gif
    Tx0n.gif
    giphy.gif
    tenor.gif?itemid=5796132

I would love a 'teenage witch' theme, one part the craft, one part the chilling adventures of Sabrina, one part the witch, one part AHS Coven, 10 parts every other tv/movie teenage witch

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • SimfamousSimfamous Posts: 59 Member
    I would love to see a mix of a darker and lighter theme. For example, I would think it would be cool to have half the world be more traditional with stereotypical 'witch houses' and a cobblestone look. A village square would be cool with little shops and a place to purchase potions or spell books.
    witches-house.jpg

On the other hand, I would love to see a small bit dedicated to a more woodland vibe with treehouses covered in moss in a dense forest next to a lake.
    1402070-bigthumbnail.jpg

With all the tv shows, movies and books related to witches and wizards in a school setting, I would hope to have an option to send children and teens to a special school dedicated to magic where they can gain skill or learn the history of magic. A hidden world would also be pretty nice with a place to get coveted and hard to find items to make potions. I doubt we'll get most of the stuff I mentioned, but I'm definitely excited to see what it ends up being in the pack.
    giphy.gif
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    It's a remake, based on a series of books that predates the harry potter franchise. The first book came out in 1974.

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    Tx0n.gif
    giphy.gif
    tenor.gif?itemid=5796132

I would love a 'teenage witch' theme, one part the craft, one part the chilling adventures of Sabrina, one part the witch, one part AHS Coven, 10 parts every other tv/movie teenage witch

Black Phillip! ❤️

I'd love to see a Llama version of Black Phillip in the pack. Like, "Ebony Phil" or something, lol.
    #Team Occult
  • DarketernalDarketernal Posts: 11 New Member
    Wow those series look so good, looking forward watching them.
  • domina89domina89 Posts: 221 Member
    My preference is definitely the old cottage, Baba Yaga type thing. Cauldrons, potions, dripping candles, spell books. Maybe a dark, swampy world.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I still think that Realm of Magic needs the following themes for both Dark & Light: Once Upon A Time, Narnia, Neverland, Frozen, Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, Aladdin, I Dream of Jeannie, Camelot, Xmen, & Avengers. With Magic Ruby Slippers, Magic Wardrobe, Magic Mirror, Magic Crystal Ball, Magic Carpet, Genie Lamp, Genie Bottle, Pixie Dust, Talking Cat & Brooms that can fly & walk.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Movotti wrote: »

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    Tx0n.gif
    giphy.gif
    tenor.gif?itemid=5796132

Black Phillip! ❤️

I'd love to see a Llama version of Black Phillip in the pack. Like, "Ebony Phil" or something, lol.

That's an awesome idea!
    Noir Bill? Gloomy Gill?

TS3 had a unicorn, so why not TS4 have a creature of dark magic?
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    I hope it errs to the darker side, with forests and ponds too. I also hope it does not follow any book or TV series - but gives those who would like that the option to create it if they wish. I do think if there is going to be darker there should also be lighter, as there is always balance. And it would be wonderful if there was some way to connect with nature, as this is so closely linked to the history and practice of magic.

The idea of a town square with shops to acquire ingredients and potions, so that non-magical Sims could purchases things they need/want for cures or to use on themselves or another Sim. There are so many possibilities.

However, I have a feeling this pack is going to have more than one lifeform. If you look at the photos on the wall in the trailer for Moschino SP there seem to be a couple of werewolves, from the shapes they are making, there is a photo of a full moon and someone thought they also saw a witch. I think there would be outrage if the latter were not included but I think we are also getting at least werewolves. If this happens then we may not get as many other things added to the pack.

That said, I think recent GPs have been pretty good - so while I love summer and hate the thought of it ending - the one bright spot is this coming pack. I just hope it lives up to our expectations. Those of us who enjoy supernatural gameplay have been waiting a long time for more to be added.
  • Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    I'd love a world that is quaint and unique, but not overtly "magical". Forgotten hollow is basically unusable for non occult players, it's so dark and creepy (and small).
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I'd love a world that is quaint and unique, but not overtly "magical". Forgotten hollow is basically unusable for non occult players, it's so dark and creepy (and small).

Yeah, 5th-19th Century Gaul-France would work nicely. Beautiful Medieval Castle/Chateau that overlooks a Village. in the village is a town Square. Even if it's not a medieval world. I'm going to do Castle for my Sorcerer. and then I'll have an Inn/Tavern. a Blacksmith, a Woodworker, a Clothier, and Bakery type Restaurant. other than magic I hope at least sword Fighting comes with it.

Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Bewitched from the 1964-1972 TV Series, the Original Charmed & Once Upon A Time.
  • AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    I've also started watching My Little Witch Academia on Netflix, anime style, and it's so cute! I hope we have witches that can be good natured and scholars, as well as classic evil vs good ones. Nature witches, elemental, sorcerers, wizards, new and bad/clumsy, and professional and excelling! I cant wait to hear any info about the gamepack