Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

please make the sims in sims 4 more alive

Comments

• Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member
    Yet another example that EA will stoop to the lowest depths to make money.

They need to deliver the advertised features that are still missing from the game.

The sims of TS4 do not have the "big personalities" they advertised, nor are they "smarter sims" as they are claimed to be, "emotions" are little more than colourful icons and "weirder stories" seems to be nothing more than some story they made up for advertising, because as far as I can tell sims like the pancake couple are like every other sim in the game... lacking in depth.

The focus has been on aesthetic and not gameplay, that is self evident. I am not trying to say they never add in detail, however the focal point (the actual sims) is completely lackluster to put it lightly, baring in mind this is 5 years after release.

• DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,177 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    "Stories of creating/playing with Sims of real life family (getting back at Mom/Dad, Sibling rivalry)" <- this is the *only* mention of this whole big thing about what kinda stories they were looking for in the ad. Stories meant as anecdotes, in the section that specifically veered away from serious themes. Listed along with "Creating and pull the strings in a home filled with Drama". Which is something that Sims Let's Plays frequently thrive on. Not a huge main point like some here made it to be.

The narrative I was referring to was from comments like Cinebar's earlier in this thread:
    Hey kids tell us about how you made your friends and put them in the game and 'got even with them'. That's EA's new ad.
    Because no, that's not what the video was about, not even remotely. None of those kinds of stories were even *in* the video at all.

For me, the video was a testimonial from players who found that the game helped them and wanted to share that story, maybe to show others that it might help them too. I'm someone who found Sims equally helpful at a time when I needed it, so I connected with it.

If you don't like it and find it distasteful, that's your opinion. We can agree to disagree on that.

There are some here who definitely present things as facts (and thus a narrative) that are just as much an opinion and a guess as to what the intent of the video was. And as I mentioned above, it's definitely misrepresenting things when someone claims that the entire testimonial video was aimed at luring in kids who want to get even/get revenge on someone. That was my entire point.

As for what the intent of the video was? To me it was to show the amount of good impact SIms had over the years. For some, it hit the mark. For others, it clearly didn't. Would I have liked if they chose a wider variety of stories and age groups? It likely would've gotten the point across better, though I'm sure there would be some who'd still find a way to make EA into the evil overlord they think it is. (we can also only guess where this idea came from initially, which is a whole different topic altogether).

I have my opinions, you have yours. All I was trying to clear up is the misrepresentation of the casting call and the resulting video, since they somehow snowballed into something it definitely wasn't.
    Young-Simmers-Only.jpg
    On the right.

@JoAnne65 Curses, so THAT'S why they didn't accept my story of how I made myself as a cult leader in Sims 2 who fed his children to a cowplant so he can live forever which eventually made me a better person.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    "Stories of creating/playing with Sims of real life family (getting back at Mom/Dad, Sibling rivalry)" <- this is the *only* mention of this whole big thing about what kinda stories they were looking for in the ad. Stories meant as anecdotes, in the section that specifically veered away from serious themes. Listed along with "Creating and pull the strings in a home filled with Drama". Which is something that Sims Let's Plays frequently thrive on. Not a huge main point like some here made it to be.

The narrative I was referring to was from comments like Cinebar's earlier in this thread:
    Hey kids tell us about how you made your friends and put them in the game and 'got even with them'. That's EA's new ad.
    Because no, that's not what the video was about, not even remotely. None of those kinds of stories were even *in* the video at all.

For me, the video was a testimonial from players who found that the game helped them and wanted to share that story, maybe to show others that it might help them too. I'm someone who found Sims equally helpful at a time when I needed it, so I connected with it.

If you don't like it and find it distasteful, that's your opinion. We can agree to disagree on that.

There are some here who definitely present things as facts (and thus a narrative) that are just as much an opinion and a guess as to what the intent of the video was. And as I mentioned above, it's definitely misrepresenting things when someone claims that the entire testimonial video was aimed at luring in kids who want to get even/get revenge on someone. That was my entire point.

As for what the intent of the video was? To me it was to show the amount of good impact SIms had over the years. For some, it hit the mark. For others, it clearly didn't. Would I have liked if they chose a wider variety of stories and age groups? It likely would've gotten the point across better, though I'm sure there would be some who'd still find a way to make EA into the evil overlord they think it is. (we can also only guess where this idea came from initially, which is a whole different topic altogether).

I have my opinions, you have yours. All I was trying to clear up is the misrepresentation of the casting call and the resulting video, since they somehow snowballed into something it definitely wasn't.
    Young-Simmers-Only.jpg
    On the right.

@JoAnne65 Curses, so THAT'S why they didn't accept my story of how I made myself as a cult leader in Sims 2 who fed his children to a cowplant so he can live forever which eventually made me a better person.
    Lol!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    [

The difference between my moral compass and EA's? Hey kids tell us about how you made your friends and put them in the game and 'got even with them'. That's EA's new ad.

My moral compass, no, I have never made anyone I know in real life to put in game to get even with them. Even I have my principles. Now, who has the moral highground?

It never ceases to amaze me how some can totally misrepresent things to suit their own narrative. The purpose of the new ad is to reach out to those who may be dealing with challenges and allow those players to feel comfortable with whatever scenario that brings them pain in real life. Not to exact revenge on anyone.

Video games are not a healthy substitute for therapy. I don’t care how much comfort someone gets from a video game, that doesn’t enable the studio developing the game to prey on those traumas in order to sell copies of their game. It’s amazing how marketing can make predatory ads like that appear normal. It’s advertising a bad message that this is more than a video game but also some sort of therapeutic thing. Hardly a stance this studio should be peddling to kids (who more often than not vastly exaggerate their “trauma”).

I wasn't commenting on the effectiveness of video games as therapy. Just that the purpose of the ad was not to entice players to play in order to seek revenge on their adversaries.

Well she does have a point about “getting revenge” or whatever being explicitly part of the casting call. Hard to deny that.

The video itself is to entice people to buy this game because it will help their problems. That’s the message they are sending. Not “hey this game is so much fun!” Instead it’s along the lines of “I was bullied, I did not fit in, I was different and Sims fixed that”. I don’t care what they were trying to do, because what they actually did was make an ad in incredibly poor taste that’s ONLY purpose is to manipulate emotionally fragile people and especially kids into thinking this game will make them happy and fix their self-proclaimed terrible lives. Terrible message to send!
    And I can’t help strongly agreeing with this.

I second this statement with an award-winning gold medal.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
    Freechheit wrote: »
    EA please can you make the sims more alive and fun sims 4 has basically turned into a virtual doll house only really too perfect not enough drama..

Yes, please!
    Usually, there is not much drama in my game and I'm okay with that. But when I want drama and my game decides that it doesn't want drama... Argh!
    I downloaded the Pleasant family and wanted Angela and Lilith to dislike each other, but every second I didn't have my eyes on them and triggered mean interactions, they would start telling jokes to each other or even hug.
    Mary-Sue forbade Lilith to watch TV, but when Lilith did it anyway and Mary-Sue confronted her, they were both smiling and Lilith seemed to respond politely to her mothers suggestion, to maybe turn of the TV... It was really annoying. I wanted them to be angry. -.-

I couldn't agree with you more @Freechheit . I have a Sims 3 canon timeline going on and I still haven't seen the Altos and Landgraabs autonomously fight in public. Even though I've legit made them enemies in-game and their club "fights" each other. shrugs
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    Freechheit wrote: »
    EA please can you make the sims more alive and fun sims 4 has basically turned into a virtual doll house only really too perfect not enough drama..

Yes, please!
    Usually, there is not much drama in my game and I'm okay with that. But when I want drama and my game decides that it doesn't want drama... Argh!
    I downloaded the Pleasant family and wanted Angela and Lilith to dislike each other, but every second I didn't have my eyes on them and triggered mean interactions, they would start telling jokes to each other or even hug.
    Mary-Sue forbade Lilith to watch TV, but when Lilith did it anyway and Mary-Sue confronted her, they were both smiling and Lilith seemed to respond politely to her mothers suggestion, to maybe turn of the TV... It was really annoying. I wanted them to be angry. -.-

I couldn't agree with you more @Freechheit . I have a Sims 3 canon timeline going on and I still haven't seen the Altos and Landgraabs autonomously fight in public. Even though I've legit made them enemies in-game and their club "fights" each other. shrugs
    When I played Sims 2, at one point a woman knocked on my sims’ door and she was quite unpleasant (a character thing, bad mood, I don’t know). I went along with it and made my sim join in the insults, so it became a fight (a very funny one by the way). When the woman left, she threatened to spread the word in public that my sim was an awful person and she’d notice the consequences. A day later my sim got a call: the woman was offering to make it up again. So I agreed and they had a conversation and the relationship indeed improved. It’s a kind of mechanic Sims 4 most definitely doesn’t have, but neither does Sims 3. In Sims 3 it does matter if they make an enemy, but the game will completely leave it up to the player what to do with it (or ignore it, which is only impossible when they meet somewhere). I liked it when the game (Sims 2) actively tried to influence things, yet still allowing me to make the decisions where it came to the outcome.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    They'll may make them alive once pigs start flying.... on once sciences create said experimental serum for animals as success, it certaintly won't happen before TS4 ending (2020-2022)
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    edited August 2019
    SimChi wrote: »
    Completely agree that this game is toxic, and definitely not for kids/teens- or some adults. This goes beyond no consequences for cheating (destroying/breaking the trust of a partner). The whole toxic idea that things like fires/killing sims is "funny" is reflective of some serious unhealthy mentality. I have had rl experience with someone who had 75% of their body burned in an accident and I watched that person lose his vitality, life, happiness, ability to work (or even care for himself), as well as watching him suffer for almost a full year in the burn ward- where he endured torturous pain (which sedation would barely help), as well as numerous (painful) skin grafts, risk of infection, and baths where the nurses literally scrubbed his burnt skin from him (to let the fluid leak). To him (the now deceased burn victim), and many others who have endured rl trauma, people (making the game, or playing it) finding 'burning sims to death' for "entertainment" is disgusting and insulting.

People should really think about things like that. The same goes for the "funny random assaults" in Windenburg (which was added intentionally- for "amusement").
    Where do you get this generalizing idea that players who kill virtual characters for/or experiencing pleasure from misfortune in games are mentally unhealthy? Factual source, other than brainwashing media who message the deception that video games is pinnacle problem of shootings?

Sorry for what the person has through go, though I'm quite not sure why you like to make correlation to Sims? What you described isn't even depicted in the game. And you'd be surprised to hear, how many simmers who find pleasure in vicious Sim-killing are normal functional human beings, If you bother to ask them how they react and feel to people, like actual people, that have died or got seriously damage from tradegies you're descriping.
    My statement stands, as does the attempt to try and educate people about how people (such as my friend who died from a serious fire) feel about the simmers (and EA) laughing about burning sims, and, worse yet, doing it for fun.

Well, with no disrespect, but I think you should reconsider what people you should educate and lecture. Hint: those who do act upon harm and attidute towards misfortunate of actual people, not those who mistreat pixels :) All your spreading is false misconception and perhaps is what got you into assumption that said simmers (who you don't know well in person) are psychopaths just in real life purely because how they play characters in a video game setting. Sims are not identical beings as human, despite resembling and acting similar to one to an extent.
    Post edited by DragonCat159 on
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,426 Member
    edited August 2019
    Completely agree that this game is toxic, and definitely not for kids/teens- or some adults. This goes beyond no consequences for cheating (destroying/breaking the trust of a partner). The whole toxic idea that things like fires/killing sims is "funny" is reflective of some serious unhealthy mentality. I have had rl experience with someone who had 75% of their body burned in an accident and I watched that person lose his vitality, life, happiness, ability to work (or even care for himself), as well as watching him suffer for almost a full year in the burn ward- where he endured torturous pain (which sedation would barely help), as well as numerous (painful) skin grafts, risk of infection, and baths where the nurses literally scrubbed his burnt skin from him (to let the fluid leak). To him (the now deceased burn victim), and many others who have endured rl trauma, people (making the game, or playing it) finding 'burning sims to death' for "entertainment" is disgusting and insulting.

People should really think about things like that. The same goes for the "funny random assaults" in Windenburg (which was added intentionally- for "amusement").
    Real life != fiction. Sorry for what the person has through go, but how that has anything to do how Sims only got scorched after almost burning alive? And you'd be surprised to hear, how many simmers who find pleasure in vicious Sim-killing are normal functional human beings, If you bother to ask them how they react and feel to people, like actual people, that have died or got seriously damage from people.

Also, you seem to be speaking from feelings than actual facts. Where did you get the idea that people that kill virtual characters happen to be those that are mentally unhealthy?
    My statement stands, as does the attempt to try and educate people about how people (such as my friend who died from a serious fire) feel about the simmers (and EA) laughing about burning sims, and, worse yet, doing it for fun.

Well, with no disrespect, but I think you should reconsider what people you should educate and lecture. Hint: those who do act upon harm and attidute towards misfortunate of actual people, not those who mistreat pixels :) All your spreading is false misconception and perhaps is what got you into assumption that said simmers (who you don't know well in person) are psychopaths just in real life purely because how they play characters in a video game setting. Sims are not identical beings as human, despite resembling and acting similar to one to an extent.
    This. I understand what SimChi is saying to an extent, but whilst at the same time it's the kind of fear-mongering used by politicians who try to enforce the idea that violent video games encourage real life violence.
    9d1z2m12k175.png
    edited August 2019
    I do though I understand where (s)he coming from, but... yeah. I'm worse at articulating things (hence the edit), but I think ^ you summed it up well. This wouldn't apply to the games... and this would make a good chunk mentality ill If you like to stick to personal diagnose or misconception that's been pushed by the media. Finding an author or movie director that didn't put things like violence or misfortunate out of sheer "fun" to the viewers is a rare find.
    Post edited by DragonCat159 on
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    Adding to this conversation about "violent video games make evil people" is most likely beating a dead horse, but I still wanna stress they don't. Streamers I watch who play games that involve gruesome imagery (that I might not be able to describe on here) tend to do fundraisers for charity (an example being Lobosjr's charity streams to St. Jude to help with cancer research)

"But that's just rare exceptions" Nah, alot of people I've met that would put bugs outside their house rather than squish them play shockingly violent games. Like someone who I would consider a pacifist who always avoids anything that might cause harm no matter how little, loved playing GTA. How can someone like that enjoy that? Easy, it's not real.

Moving on though
    Adding more surprises in the game along with sims actually hating each other rather than being buddy buddy with everyone would be great. Hot headed and mean sims only insult someone once in awhile and then go back to telling stupid jokes, it's annoying to keep doing mean interactions to make sure they stay hating each other. The Sim 4 world is too nice, it's sickening.
    EMrBkJP.png
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited August 2019
    Post edited by Rouensims on
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    edited August 2019
    When I played Sims 2, at one point a woman knocked on my sims’ door and she was quite unpleasant (a character thing, bad mood, I don’t know). I went along with it and made my sim join in the insults, so it became a fight (a very funny one by the way). When the woman left, she threatened to spread the word in public that my sim was an awful person and she’d notice the consequences. A day later my sim got a call: the woman was offering to make it up again. So I agreed and they had a conversation and the relationship indeed improved. It’s a kind of mechanic Sims 4 most definitely doesn’t have, but neither does Sims 3. In Sims 3 it does matter if they make an enemy, but the game will completely leave it up to the player what to do with it (or ignore it, which is only impossible when they meet somewhere). I liked it when the game (Sims 2) actively tried to influence things, yet still allowing me to make the decisions where it came to the outcome.

This sums up exactly what's missing from TS4 imo. This sort of mechanic was exactly what made the game feel 'alive' for me, combined with features like interests or turn ons/offs or fury that would define how each sim reacted to one another and determined how hard or easy it would be for them to build a relationship. I'm also missing the whole scandal feature from TS3 Late Night. It really felt like there were consequences for how your sim behaved whereas the GF reputations don't really give me anything besides from those annoying 'you look like you're a good person to know!' texts from premades I've never spoken to. Having lost those kinds of dynamics that influenced your gameplay, TS4 really feels dull and stagnant in comparison. Part of the appeal was that the game wasn't totally in your control.

edit: typos
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited August 2019

They need to deliver the advertised features that are still missing from the game.

The sims of TS4 do not have the "big personalities" they advertised, nor are they "smarter sims" as they are claimed to be, "emotions" are little more than colourful icons and "weirder stories" seems to be nothing more than some story they made up for advertising, because as far as I can tell sims like the pancake couple are like every other sim in the game... lacking in depth.

The focus has been on aesthetic and not gameplay, that is self evident. I am not trying to say they never add in detail, however the focal point (the actual sims) is completely lackluster to put it lightly, baring in mind this is 5 years after release.

Exactly! Maxis just no longer know what they are doing...

By the way there's nothing to except in this messed up iteration, everything is broken, half-baked, rushed. Instead of giving us better personalities they gave us this ''quizz'' thing and they'll settle for it. Just like parenthood, don't except anymore family gameplay, they always keep up with the minimum. This is what I call lazy work.
    Lu4ERme.gif

Exactly! Maxis just no longer know what they are doing...

By the way there's nothing to except in this messed up iteration, everything is broken, half-baked, rushed. Instead of giving us better personalities they gave us this ''quizz'' thing and they'll settle for it. Just like parenthood, don't except anymore family gameplay, they always keep up with the minimum. This is what I call lazy work.
    Now now! Don't you remember the golden message from Kate? They're the hardest working team, so don't you or anybody dare criticize the work one provides for us.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • PrincessSaturnPrincessSaturn Posts: 564 Member
    Now now! Don't you remember the golden message from Kate? They're the hardest working team, so don't you or anybody dare criticize the work one provides for us.

HA! the absolute nerve!
    These buttheads aren't working for free, its like they're getting paid to have people make excuses for their half-hearted, recycled and uninspired content while they feed us bogus reasons why something that could be done 15+ years ago can't be done today.

Young-Simmers-Only.jpg
    On the right.
    "Learned an important life lesson in the game prior to real life"
    *rolls eyes* 🐸🐸🐸🐸, If that was true, I shouldn't have left my house ever and could have learned anything. Like how to find and marry significiant other, LOL.

Oh, and this pretty much verifies as how I jokingly said there's a "be VERY different than white-straight person" criteria to be applicant in casting. It's pretty sad.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • halihali Posts: 66 Member
    TS4 plays as if it's been simplified so that anyone--regardless of game playing experience or experience playing The Sims--can try for the first time and understand fairly quickly how to utilize the features. But, to me, that game has been simplified so much so that all the challenge and, therefore, reward of playing it has been stripped.

I wish the easiness--down to default sim mood (i.e. happy), to how every meal in the game has the same hunger-satisfying value (Garden Salad can't surely be as hunger satisfying--i.e. for the same duration and amount of hunger satisfaction--as a roasted chicken dinner, to the one-sided relationship building mechanism of TS4--just to name a few issues--were a setting players could set in options if a player wants to play an easy, no challenge, consequence-free tutorial-like game experience/environment.

For the players who have played and enjoyed iterations like TS2, please TS4 development team bring consequence, challenge, depth, and reward back to playing The Sims. TS4 is way too simplified and bland to hold long-term interest, the packs aren't as full, expansive, and game-changing as they once were (e.g. TS2 Nightlife, TS3 Generations, TS2 Open for Business just to name a few truly game-changing EPs of past iterations).

Re: wanting 'drama' in the game, I strongly believe adding consequence for actions, allowing sim relationships to build in a non-one-sided way, and for challenge to be introduced into this current iteration (so gameplay can be rewarding and enjoyable for longer than a beat) will greatly enrich the game and game-playing experience. In the same vine, (player-adjustable) personality definitely needs to be interjected into TS4 via mechanics that are similar to TS2 Nightlife's mechanics that were added upon with each subsequent EP release (e.g. likes, dislikes; turn-on/offs; and TS2's base game character/personality that varies by degrees and sets sims apart from one another).

TS4 players are already limited to only being able to set three traits for each sim, so one would believe that the traits would truly be impactful to sim character/behavior and gameplay, but most of the traits don't change too much about a sim or gameplay, as many of the commenters have mentioned. Almost every sim in every situation will be affected the same, regardless of traits. It gets frustratingly dull pretty quick. Given the premise of TS4's featured "smarter sims", I strongly agree @Sk8rblaze - new, transforming or influential traits ought to be introduced with each pack release.

I wonder if anyone from TS4 development team will read these commends and take them into serious consideration as they work to continue adding to this game.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I wish that the sims in Sims 4 had the personalities like in Sims 3.
  • Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    Sims themselves in 4 are all carbon copies of one another with no defining traits or personality. Or at least nothing that noticeable. Played Sims 2 a few days ago and even without traits they actually all had unique likes/dislikes and interests. It made each Sim stand out. Don't hold your breath though for an update, if it were going to happen it would have by now.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    Iguess66 wrote: »
    Sims themselves in 4 are all carbon copies of one another with no defining traits or personality. Or at least nothing that noticeable. Played Sims 2 a few days ago and even without traits they actually all had unique likes/dislikes and interests. It made each Sim stand out. Don't hold your breath though for an update, if it were going to happen it would have by now.

You could make two Sims with identical personality points and they would still behave differently because of interests in The Sims 2.

Sims in The Sims 4 don't have personalities. They are whatever emotion they currently have, and every Sim responds to the same emotion in the exact same way.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Iguess66 wrote: »

You could make two Sims with identical personality points and they would still behave differently because of interests in The Sims 2.

Sims in The Sims 4 don't have personalities. They are whatever emotion they currently have, and every Sim responds to the same emotion in the exact same way.

I don’t get why we haven’t seen a return of interests from TS2, or at least an expanded version of it (because there was a lot more that could be done with it). In fact, there are a lot of systems in The Sims 2 which worked wonderfully and could have been expanded upon in the later games.
  • LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    edited August 2019

Young-Simmers-Only.jpg
    On the right.

What the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 is wrong with them? Just make a 🐸🐸🐸🐸-ing full-fledged SEQUEL and stop trying to peddle diversity and inclusivity in a life simulator!!! It's not the platform nor is it appropriate!
    @Logisitcs As I’ve said in other threads.... SJW pandering.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top