Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Leave YouTubers out of our trailers please

Comments

• Options
    poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    Even though I think they could have used less of the footage of real people in the trailer I have to ask, what does it matter if it's a youtuber or a model? This pack is literally a push to sell you not only a sims product but Moschino clothes as well. Also just a general reminder for everyone, teenagers are typically the demographic for many entertainment products. They have the most disposable cash and so of course they want something that will interest them. If that's a youtuber who is popular in that demographic then that's what they're going to do.

What teens have a disposable income? I am the mother of a teen and really don't know any that have that much cash to waste. My 16 year old also has NEVER heard of this youtuber. Upon looking at the Moschino website, as I directed her to view it, she commented that all the merch looks cheap and ugly. She is in their target demographic.

Not all teenagers are exactly the same, but that doesn't make what I said untrue. Teens as a general demographic are the target. Just cause your teen doesn't tick all the boxes doesn't make this a misguided ad. Just like not all of us simmers are 100% against this pack. I would never buy the clothes personally but I'll buy the pack and my sims can wear them. My sims wear A LOT of clothes I wouldn't wear.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Leave them out of "your" trailers. huh? lol
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Even though I think they could have used less of the footage of real people in the trailer I have to ask, what does it matter if it's a youtuber or a model? This pack is literally a push to sell you not only a sims product but Moschino clothes as well. Also just a general reminder for everyone, teenagers are typically the demographic for many entertainment products. They have the most disposable cash and so of course they want something that will interest them. If that's a youtuber who is popular in that demographic then that's what they're going to do.

What teens have a disposable income? I am the mother of a teen and really don't know any that have that much cash to waste. My 16 year old also has NEVER heard of this youtuber. Upon looking at the Moschino website, as I directed her to view it, she commented that all the merch looks cheap and ugly. She is in their target demographic.

Not all teenagers are exactly the same, but that doesn't make what I said untrue. Teens as a general demographic are the target. Just cause your teen doesn't tick all the boxes doesn't make this a misguided ad. Just like not all of us simmers are 100% against this pack. I would never buy the clothes personally but I'll buy the pack and my sims can wear them. My sims wear A LOT of clothes I wouldn't wear.

Still trying to figure out what teens have a disposable income. Guess it might be the elitists that live on the coasts in the US. Most teens that I see are into hunting, camping, sports, or gaming. See most in hoodies, yoga pants, or sweatpants.
  • Options

Still trying to figure out what teens have a disposable income. Guess it might be the elitists that live on the coasts in the US. Most teens that I see are into hunting, camping, sports, or gaming. See most in hoodies, yoga pants, or sweatpants.

Gaming is an expensive hobby. That's what I'm saying when I say entertainment targets teens.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Turns out, RL footage is from the Coachella Moschino party, which what's-his-name apparently attended. I'm not saying it's a coincidence as they had already worked with him, but it was a VIP party so any number of influencers could have been in that trailer.

Still don't know who that is.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Gaming is an expensive hobby. That's what I'm saying when I say entertainment targets teens.

Not really. In our area we have a business solely to hang out and rent time to play in their spaces. Also, many have older consoles and those games are cheap.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Instagram Influencers and Famous Youtubers apparently is a THING for a kid these days.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options

Not really. In our area we have a business solely to hang out and rent time to play in their spaces. Also, many have older consoles and those games are cheap.

Depending on how old the consoles are the games tend to be harder to find. One generation behind I can understand. Anything more "retro" will be more expensive than current games 9 times out of 10. Also those games aren't currently being marketed like anything from the current/next gen is. Current consoles and games are expensive. The upcoming ones are sure to be as well. The Sims itself is an expensive hobby. If you are buying new/current games and hardware it is expensive. Even those older consoles they have once had a premium price tag.
  • Options
    izecson wrote: »
    Instagram Influencers and Famous Youtubers apparently is a THING for a kid these days.

It's weird to me cause I grew up without social media/youtube. But I know that some college-aged people are apparently popular with kids and teens? Like how can they even relate? Is it the idea of being a grown up?
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited August 2019
    Agreed. I want go back to where they just show off the product, telling us about it. Not seeing some random YouTuber and other people who I don't know and not relevant to the game or me in anyway.

But why Moschino though? That isn't a brand most will know and is really expensive with a style most won't wear, so I can't see it being a pack that really appeals to many people. Kind of an odd choice.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    The actual stuff doesn’t look too bad. There’s a few outfits that I think push it. The Coachella party was not necessary. If they wanted to blend real people then they should have gotten models to wear the clothes featured in the pack.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Depending on how old the consoles are the games tend to be harder to find. One generation behind I can understand. Anything more "retro" will be more expensive than current games 9 times out of 10. Also those games aren't currently being marketed like anything from the current/next gen is. Current consoles and games are expensive. The upcoming ones are sure to be as well. The Sims itself is an expensive hobby. If you are buying new/current games and hardware it is expensive. Even those older consoles they have once had a premium price tag.

Many people I know only have maybe up to 2 or 3 games, so they really don't spend much. I think I have only spent $200 in 5 years on Sims 4 dlc. So, they could be like my family and only buy video games on sale and usually only a physical copy as all games are never worth full price and I love to sell games back that I no longer play. They are hardcore gamers only for a few favorite franchises.

Guess I see also gaming as a family activity, because we either play together or in the case of Sims 4, my 6 year old "plays it" with mom on her gaming rig and my 9 year old and 16 year old play it on kids' computer (both offline of course). We involve one another in the single player games while playing. We also play couch multiplayer games, which are not that expensive.

My point is their demographic seems to those who need the social media trendy online stuff. Or is it the ones who mindless by content at launch no matter what?
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    doedear wrote: »
    Hestia wrote: »
    @doedear Tacky - from the look of the clothes. SJW agenda, with the amount of “activist” or “human rights” promoted through this game. There are platforms for that. I don’t see it fitting to have political things be in The Sims.

1. tacky clothes have nothing to do with politics 2. the sims has always been progressive since its inception, sorry if you don't like it.

I referred tacky in relevance to the involvement of the Youtuber. Not politics.

“Progressive”, sure. Shoving down people’s throats about SJW related things - eg. the recent Play with Life trailer and many other aspects... how about keep that outside of the game.

wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options

Many people I know only have maybe up to 2 or 3 games, so they really don't spend much. I think I have only spent $200 in 5 years on Sims 4 dlc. So, they could be like my family and only buy video games on sale and usually only a physical copy as all games are never worth full price and I love to sell games back that I no longer play. They are hardcore gamers only for a few favorite franchises.

Guess I see also gaming as a family activity, because we either play together or in the case of Sims 4, my 6 year old "plays it" with mom on her gaming rig and my 9 year old and 16 year old play it on kids' computer (both offline of course). We involve one another in the single player games while playing. We also play couch multiplayer games, which are not that expensive.

My point is their demographic seems to those who need the social media trendy online stuff. Or is it the ones who mindless by content at launch no matter what?

I think you've basically just established you aren't the demographic for this pack. It doesn't interest you or your family and is more likely to be something you'd buy on sale if it all. I'm also not in this pack's target demographic but I guess I'll be one of those who "mindlessly" buys it at launch (even though I'm genuinely into many of the features). I play games differently from you and your family and see it as more of a single person experience unless it's specifically multiplayer. I buy many games I want at launch but I research them before I purchase.

I found an old post from simscommunity with an interview with the simgurus talking about their target demographic. They seem a bit vague but they do point out their teen rating:

"We continue to have players of all ages and genders, from countries all over the world love being part of our Sims world. Nothing about that has changed. We still look at any feature or design through the lens of “how will a Sims player enjoy this”. We talk more about the different ways people play than different slices of the audience. We do take into consideration keeping things current, which might feel “younger” in some ways. What’s going on in the world today? What’s happening in pop culture? What do we see our audience seeing? And what feedback are we getting in surveys or online.

The rating has always been T for Teen (and similar in other countries) and that does play a role in what we can do with the game, just as it always has. That has a lot more to do with how far we can push some of our features more so than the ones that we choose."

They may have the same marketing plan or they may be aiming it at more of their teen demographic nowadays, your guess is as good as mine. As far as overall gaming demographics there are a lot of confusing numbers out there. Going to info dump:

https://www.earnest.com/blog/the-demographics-of-video-gaming/
    https://insights.dice.com/2017/10/02/breaking-down-video-games-demographics/
    https://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/consumer-insights/why-gamers-should-be-part-your-audience-strategy/
    https://money.howstuffworks.com/advergaming2.htm

They do point out that a lot of millennials are still gaming and also getting their children into gaming, which makes a lot of sense since many of us were the first generations to grow up with at home consoles commonly in the home. They also mention that there are quite a few younger games who are the ones who do most of their purchasing. I'm not sure how much of these factor in microtransactions and/or mobile gaming but those tend to be popular with kids/teens as well. Look at Fortnite. Love it or hate it, it has a large popularity with younger kids and is a very easy game to spend money on.
  • Options
    Prink34320V2Prink34320V2 Posts: 156 Member
    Why does it matter if a YouTuber announces it though?
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Ok fine
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    The thing with youtubers is there are so many now that unless you spend ALL your time on youtube, your most likely not going to know who anybody is unless you follow a specific person. I have NO idea who this person is you mentioned.
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    According to one of the former CM’s the target audience is teenage girls with rich parents, hence the collaboration.

Just in my opinion, that's a terrible demographic to go after with The Sims haha It's a life simulation game and narrowing it down specifically teenage girls with rich parents sounds absolutely ridiculous.
  • Options
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Just a brief reminder that the Sims audience is hugely diverse. It's not "your" trailer, it's simply "a" trailer.

I totally understand that. Just wanted to express my opinion on here as well is all.
  • Options
    Leave them out of "your" trailers. huh? lol

I guess I should rephrase that. I didn't expect people to get all up in arms about that but on these forums I should have known better.
  • Options
    izecson wrote: »

It's weird to me cause I grew up without social media/youtube. But I know that some college-aged people are apparently popular with kids and teens? Like how can they even relate? Is it the idea of being a grown up?

Am I the only one that feels old? haha
  • Options
    Why does it matter if a YouTuber announces it though?

I guess I just don't understand the appeal of it. The Sims 4 has a big reliance on YouTubers promoting their games and it's just something I don't see as necessary. Evidently the marketing team for The Sims 4 seems content with having their EA Game Changers and other YouTubers sell their product for them instead of putting in the time and effort to make quality marketing campaigns themselves.

I think it's well established I no longer fit the demographic for The Sims franchise at this point so maybe that's why I feel this way. The Sims 4 rarely, if at all, uses Simlish songs in their trailers anymore and perhaps they use songs now that are popular with their target audience that I clearly don't get. I'd just prefer the good old trailers that show off the items and gameplay to a fun simlish song that get you excited to purchase the pack.
  • Options

I think you've basically just established you aren't the demographic for this pack. It doesn't interest you or your family and is more likely to be something you'd buy on sale if it all. I'm also not in this pack's target demographic but I guess I'll be one of those who "mindlessly" buys it at launch (even though I'm genuinely into many of the features). I play games differently from you and your family and see it as more of a single person experience unless it's specifically multiplayer. I buy many games I want at launch but I research them before I purchase.

I found an old post from simscommunity with an interview with the simgurus talking about their target demographic. They seem a bit vague but they do point out their teen rating:

"We continue to have players of all ages and genders, from countries all over the world love being part of our Sims world. Nothing about that has changed. We still look at any feature or design through the lens of “how will a Sims player enjoy this”. We talk more about the different ways people play than different slices of the audience. We do take into consideration keeping things current, which might feel “younger” in some ways. What’s going on in the world today? What’s happening in pop culture? What do we see our audience seeing? And what feedback are we getting in surveys or online.

The rating has always been T for Teen (and similar in other countries) and that does play a role in what we can do with the game, just as it always has. That has a lot more to do with how far we can push some of our features more so than the ones that we choose."

They may have the same marketing plan or they may be aiming it at more of their teen demographic nowadays, your guess is as good as mine. As far as overall gaming demographics there are a lot of confusing numbers out there. Going to info dump:

https://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/consumer-insights/why-gamers-should-be-part-your-audience-strategy/

They do point out that a lot of millennials are still gaming and also getting their children into gaming, which makes a lot of sense since many of us were the first generations to grow up with at home consoles commonly in the home. They also mention that there are quite a few younger games who are the ones who do most of their purchasing. I'm not sure how much of these factor in microtransactions and/or mobile gaming but those tend to be popular with kids/teens as well. Look at Fortnite. Love it or hate it, it has a large popularity with younger kids and is a very easy game to spend money on.

Guess as a Gen Xer, raising Gen Z, we are not as gullible. Btw, I am only maybe 3 years older than the oldest millenials, and gaming since I was in kindergarten. Most hardcore gamers I know hate the microtransactions aspect, so maybe it is targeting casual gamers who don't realize that microtransactions equate to gambling.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    I too am completely devastated by the sight of a live person in a trailer that I will watch once or twice at most and then never think about again in my lifetime.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited August 2019

Guess as a Gen Xer, raising Gen Z, we are not as gullible. Btw, I am only maybe 3 years older than the oldest millenials, and gaming since I was in kindergarten. Most hardcore gamers I know hate the microtransactions aspect, so maybe it is targeting casual gamers who don't realize that microtransactions equate to gambling.

I'm one of the "Silent Generation" (more for the USA I think than the UK) otherwise the "Lucky Generation" before the Boomers, less of us because of the war and fathers away for 4 to 6 years, with increasing prosperity, NHS, more job availability in the 60's and 70's! Looking back I think we were lucky that we didn't have the internet then.

I know the adverts weren't targeting my demographic at all. That makes it easier to enjoy them as just adverts. EA must have good reason and researchers to know what makes an impact. I just get interested in the history of it all.