Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lag on a good computer

MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
So I have a brand new gaming laptop and most of the time it runs the game great but I do experience lag on it every so often (usually at least once per gaming session). I switched on the FPS counter and while most of the time my FPS is at about 100- 150, at the times where the game starts to lag the fps drops to 20-30. The game gets over it if I pause for a while or go to map view but I can't help but think this shouldn't be happening.

I've tried updating my drivers, clearing my cache, repairing the game, removing my mods, deleting my screenshots - all to no avail. I do play on ultra but my laptop should be able to handle that.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Here is (some of) my DxDiag report:

Machine name: ALIEN
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: Alienware Area-51m
BIOS: 1.6.2 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16186MB RAM
Page File: 14239MB used, 4378MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.17763.0001 64bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce RTX 2080
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1ED0&SUBSYS_08C41028&REV_A1
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 16102 MB
Dedicated Memory: 8010 MB
Shared Memory: 8092 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (144Hz)

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2019
    So I have a brand new gaming laptop and most of the time it runs the game great but I do experience lag on it every so often (usually at least once per gaming session). I switched on the FPS counter and while most of the time my FPS is at about 100- 150, at the times where the game starts to lag the fps drops to 20-30. The game gets over it if I pause for a while or go to map view but I can't help but think this shouldn't be happening.

I've tried updating my drivers, clearing my cache, repairing the game, removing my mods, deleting my screenshots - all to no avail. I do play on ultra but my laptop should be able to handle that.

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)

Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]

It appears it is not your laptop and more on the program not being optimized. Check your driver updates and see if you have the latest drivers. I know if you are in map view or even in game zooming, the FPS will drop significantly.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

It appears it is not your laptop and more on the program not being optimized. Check your driver updates and see if you have the latest drivers. I know if you are in map view or even in game zooming, the FPS will drop significantly.
    @Goldmoldar thanks. I did update my drivers but that doesn’t seem to have helped. It always happens in live mode and never after zooming in or anything. Actually, going into map view seems to stop it.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Do you have anything running in the background that you are not aware of? Even if you are using an laptop with excellent specs you should be getting good FPS. One thing make sure Windows is not updating and I know Windows does not update everyday. You can go into task manager and see what is consuming resources other Sims 4 but becareful as some tasks are essential in running. I wish I could help you more but I more of an hands on type of person.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    @Goldmoldar looking at task manager it doesn’t seem so. I checked to see if there were any windows updates two days ago because of this and there weren’t but I will check again.

No problem! Thank you for your help. I’ll keep investigating :)
  • Options
    You welcome and if you know somebody in immediate area and is computer literate see if they can help. :)
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    This is what I've been saying for so long. A lot of people here without gaming laptops always say their game has no lag but I have a gaming laptop and it still lags... so. And I'm sure it's not just my laptop cuz I've played the game on 3 different gaming laptops.

So, no OP, it's not your laptop and you're not the only one who has this problem. The game is not very well optimized to be played on gaming laptops somehow.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited August 2019
    It always happens in live mode and never after zooming in or anything. Actually, going into map view seems to stop it.

Does it happen on a specific lot? Some lots can cause lag, especially lots with a lot of items.

Other things that I would try is running the game in windowed mode, full screen, or borderless window, and also try and lower some settings to see if you still get lag.

You can also try and see what your laptop does when the lag is occurring in task manager-->performance, and listen to your computer, is the hard drive spinning a lot or the fan loud? It could be that your laptop is just slowing down to cool down and that impacts your performance.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited August 2019
    logion wrote: »
    It always happens in live mode and never after zooming in or anything. Actually, going into map view seems to stop it.

Does it happen on a specific lot? Some lots can cause lag, especially lots with a lot of items.

Other things that I would try is running the game in windowed mode, full screen, or borderless window, and also try and lower some settings to see if you still get lag.

You can also try and see what your laptop does when the lag is occurring in task manager-->performance, and listen to your computer, is the hard drive spinning a lot or the fan loud? It could be that your laptop is just slowing down to cool down and that impacts your performance.

OP shouldn't need to lower their settings with that beast laptop they got. 💁‍♀️ This game is just poorly optimized. (By the way, I'm not sassing at your suggestion, but more like I'm sassing the game. LOL.)

I find that the game only works really well with laptop mode off, but come on now. Also, worlds without many trees like Strangerville and Oasis Springs don't have that stutter.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    @logion no, no specific lot. I have been playing in full screen and not in laptop mode but as @DeKay has said I really shouldn’t have to lower the settings. The fan doesn’t seem to speed up when the lag happens but maybe I’ve been missing it - I’ll listen harder next time. Good idea about task manager, I will remember to check that next time

I’ve decided to do a factory reset of my laptop because another problem popped up yesterday: When I click on ‘new game’ I get a white screen for about 10 seconds before the game takes me to CAS. That never happened before.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited August 2019
    @MaggieMarley some laptops are configured by the hardware manufacturer to increase durability. Your gaming laptop should be configured for gaming but it is possible that the laptop is slowing down just to cool down, that's what I remember happened when I played games on my older laptops. I would google on the laptop model to see if other people are encountering the same issue.

Lowering the graphics settings or the resolution was just so you could test if there was a specific setting that caused the lag. Of course you should not have to do it...but sometimes you never know.

Finally, check if your computer is slow overall when the game is lagging, try starting some other program when it is lagging, if it is very slow as well, then the problem is probably with your computer, check your RAM usage to make sure that you do not have a memory leak. You can see that in task manager if windows is using all your RAM.
  • Options
    @logion thing is, it sometimes happens just 5-10mins after switching on the game so I doubt it needs to cool down at that point! I’ll keep doing some research and see if other programmes are slow during those times like you say. And I’ll check what’s going on in task manager.
  • Options
    GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    edited August 2019
    My cpu is way outdated compared to yours, its a 4770k i7 8 thread @ 4.4ghz which is about 6 years old. My IPC on my cpu is probably 15-25% slower than your cpu. My gpu is a 1080gtx.

I can get pretty bad fps in a certain lots. My worse fps i see on fully built lots is around 20-40fps with some stutter. And its always when i'm above ground. Below ground its alright and over 60fps and as high as 140fps since the game isn't working so hard to render and keep track of as much.

I didn't always get bad fps like this, this seemed to get bad a some point after the get famous or maybe the strangerville update, I didn't play it enough during those two releases to pinpoint when it went bad exactly. But before I would get over 60 fps all the time steady. My framerates used to be so steady I could do video 1080p 60fps capture using my videocard and still maintain over 60fps framerates while playing. I can't be sure if its because my save game has just become very complex overtime, its over 60 megabytes now. Or if its just from the extra expansions piling up over time creating more drag on my game. What I should probably do is copy my household only and one of my lots into a new save and see if I get fps problems... thats one thing I haven't tested.

But to go back to the fps drops you mention, I have to say i've also experienced similar fps drops to yours. Usually my fps will dip massively to 10-20fps when i go into build mode, but if i hit ESC and then back to the game, the fps will bump back up. This also happens sometimes in live mode also. Its gotta be some UI bug, because for some reason bringing up the options menu and then going back to the game fixes it usually. It doesn't do it all the time though, sometimes I'll go into build mode and the fps will be just fine and the same as it would be outside build mode. This weird fps drop thing started after the get famous or strangerville release, i can't remember exactly what pack caused it because I didn't play much between the two releases.

Maxis/EA are pretty terrible at setting priorities. Instead of spending time trying to fix all the performance bugs and all the other game breaking bugs that keep getting worse, they spend it changing the colours of loading screens that make the game look like a cheap mobile game.

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited August 2019
    I have similar issue after the strangerville update, the game will lags randomly and the only way to alleviate the lag is by pausing the game (escape button), but it doesn't always work. you know when you enter buy mode and the game shows you holiday items, thats where the lag begins but not exclusively from it, it wont go away until I press escape.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    Drzombae1Drzombae1 Posts: 37 Member
    id try clearing out duplicates if you have any and lowering graphics
  • Options
    @Goosey and @izecson good to hear that I am not alone. If it is the game, is there a bug report for this?

@Drzombae1 what do you mean by duplicates? As for graphics, I have one of the best gaming laptops money can buy - I shouldn’t need to lower the graphics!
  • Options
    Drzombae1Drzombae1 Posts: 37 Member
    like If you use mods, have you checked for duplicates in your mod folders? sometimes they cause lag
  • Options
    @Drzombae1 I only have MCCC, a vampire powers mod by littlemssam and a few gallery poses. No duplicates. I have actually tried taking out all of my (few) mods and found no difference.
  • Options
    EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone! if you are having a technical issue with the game please report this on our Answers HQ for further assistance. I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. make sure you check out the Answers HQ HERE.

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top