Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why isn't TS4 inclusive of family players?

Comments

• Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Currently playing a family again for the first in a long long time. Will be interesting to see how it feels this time around. My sims husband has had his parents coming over for surprise visits individually which I liked. Also he was invited back home for hanging out with family which I also liked. His little sisters went to school when they came over but his parents where home.

I wish we could have had a bassinet for the mermaid-babies. It just feels odd when the vampires and the aliens got theirs. Will be interesting to see if the new spellcasters will have a new bassinet, I do hope so. It is quite odd, I mostly just age the babies up but I still would like to have it. And please a few more colors to choose from for the baby-outfit because boy am I tired of the green one.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2019
    Sofmc9 wrote: »
    I want sims to sit on each others lap,
    BcMzdhw.png

mn0yGKy.png

jrgddTT.png

walk hand in hand

9vPhxsV.jpg

Cribs for babies, rocking chair, changing table, baby swing..

vUzbLVX.png

61fk5D3.png

AnGPF2C.png

oFBs9rY.png

Reading toddlers to sleep is so cute in TS4 and children can listen to the story, I'd like that for babies too.

jlTdPs1.png

e7L6Wdj.png

Teaching toddlers to draw

5glJrtK.png

THIS!!!!👏👏👏👏
    I dont ask for much as a simmer. I just want to be able to lounge (not sit like cold robots)
    With my sim significant other or kids on my lap snuggle and watch movies together. And things like you pointed out here.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    @Sofmc9 All of these things are just so nice and feel so special. A lot of players might say that we don't need such features in the game, saying they're just little things, but it's the little things that make family time as special as it is. They're all just little moments of flavour that make everything more satisfying and rewarding.

With the multitasking system it would have been ideal to have things like walking hand in hand, or sitting with your child to watch cartoons, or cuddling with a partner whilst watching TV.

The absence of even simple things like cribs and changing tables says a lot.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    @Sofmc9 All of these things are just so nice and feel so special. A lot of players might say that we don't need such features in the game, saying they're just little things, but it's the little things that make family time as special as it is. They're all just little moments of flavour that make everything more satisfying and rewarding.

With the multitasking system it would have been ideal to have things like walking hand in hand, or sitting with your child to watch cartoons, or cuddling with a partner whilst watching TV.

It's not just the absense of things, but the sheer mechanical nature behind what already is; Like kids running out to greet a parent returning from work, in TS2 (not sure about TS3) that was only done by nice kids, and only if they were happy; In TS4 it's completely automatic, there's no personality behind the decision... There's no thought or reason, it's just robotically repeating animations.

Everything in TS4 is robotic.

raw
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited September 2019
    Evil_One wrote: »

It's not just the absense of things, but the sheer mechanical nature behind what already is; Like kids running out to greet a parent returning from work, in TS2 (not sure about TS3) that was only done by nice kids, and only if they were happy; In TS4 it's completely automatic, there's no personality behind the decision... There's no thought or reason, it's just robotically repeating animations.

I have an info graphic for that!

Kids.png

Zoomed.
    https://postimg.cc/YhRsJtdL
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @JoAnne65, in TS2 toddlers do things based on personality and not necessarily just because they are toddlers. Not all toddlers can escape the babybed. Only outgoing Sims. Others who aren't as outgoing may cry and scream for mommy for a few minutes but if not very social etc. they may sit down and just play and wait for someone to come get them. I figure TS3 toddlers work somewhat the same way. Like only sloppy Sims in 2 and 3 can actually dig in trash autonomously etc. I thought toddlers in TS4 were the best ever, but not because of individual personality which TS4 lacks but because of animations concerning making messes and playing and climbing up on things. I guess when I say TS4 toddlers are the best ever some might have thought I meant personality but maybe some of us should have clarified no they all act the same as any other toddler, and what I meant three years ago was aminations and simulation rather than individual personality as in 2 and 3.

If they ever combine those things then I would be satisified with overall toddler play. Like in 2 some toddlers are slower to learn and why there is an aspiration reward to make smarter milk and to feed them to shorten the amount of time it takes to potty train. Not all toddlers need social etc. depending on personality points like loner in TS3.
    I thought picking a toddler's personality in Sims 4 really meant something?

Sims4-254.jpg?width=640

Their animations are absolutely super, no doubt about that, but I thought on top of that choosing a personality really means something in the game (unlike choosing traits for adults in the game).

ETA: I'm definitely against the use of bars in this picture :D

e7L6Wdj.png

The traits for toddlers do work well - otherwise, players wouldn't feel so passionately against some of them. (Personally, I will never, ever have another 'wild child', and I don't much care for the sassy 'independent' trait, either.) I'd only like to see more traits, or even better, a 'sub-trait'.

I'd really like some sort of variation in baby temperaments, too - not necessarily selected by the player or dependent on parenting skill (just as in real life). Fussy babies, happy babies, babies who sleep all the time... . Even better, I'd like baby care to mean something when they age up to toddler. While caring for the baby does build relationship and parenting skills, it would be nice if babies that get a lot of bouncing and cuddling gain skills as toddlers faster, while those given the absolute minimum (feed and change) are a little slower (again, just like real life).

And I want the changing table for babies and toddlers and diapers that don't evaporate. And a baby bath. And more mental skill toys for my toddlers.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    @JoAnne65, in TS2 toddlers do things based on personality and not necessarily just because they are toddlers. Not all toddlers can escape the babybed. Only outgoing Sims. Others who aren't as outgoing may cry and scream for mommy for a few minutes but if not very social etc. they may sit down and just play and wait for someone to come get them. I figure TS3 toddlers work somewhat the same way. Like only sloppy Sims in 2 and 3 can actually dig in trash autonomously etc. I thought toddlers in TS4 were the best ever, but not because of individual personality which TS4 lacks but because of animations concerning making messes and playing and climbing up on things. I guess when I say TS4 toddlers are the best ever some might have thought I meant personality but maybe some of us should have clarified no they all act the same as any other toddler, and what I meant three years ago was aminations and simulation rather than individual personality as in 2 and 3.

If they ever combine those things then I would be satisified with overall toddler play. Like in 2 some toddlers are slower to learn and why there is an aspiration reward to make smarter milk and to feed them to shorten the amount of time it takes to potty train. Not all toddlers need social etc. depending on personality points like loner in TS3.

Sims4-254.jpg?width=640

Their animations are absolutely super, no doubt about that, but I thought on top of that choosing a personality really means something in the game (unlike choosing traits for adults in the game).

e7L6Wdj.png

The traits are much better than the traits for the other family members, this is very true, and good ones, but they are still a bit redundant. I didn't see much difference in an independant toddler than some others. Such as all toddlers can grab food off a counter, (if we don't put them in a highchair) that would seem pretty independant to me, right? Able to think for themselves, but all can do it, where as I would expect clingy toddlers or fussy toddlers not to be able to do that since they would be needy.

Some can read books etc. and those books or other interactions help with how fast they can do stuff, but it's still the same in the fact if you can get any toddler to do certain things then those things speed up the time to potty etc. I would think it would have mattered which toddlers would be able to do the interactions and not a blanket for all. Maybe I'm just too picky but I notice redundancy and a blanket answer for all.
    But they are great toddlers and great traits compared to adults, but they still can all do all things and that to me doesn't scream individual trait system but still pretty good but even then it overlapped too much just as adults seem the same in many ways. ETA: there was a particular thing we had them do that made them no longer afraid at night and sleep all night, however, all toddlers are able to learn that, It would seem to me maybe a blanket answer for a problem to solve shouldn't have been available for all toddlers and other ways for other traits to solve an issue of having nightmares. That just one example. ETA: And I would think not all toddlers would wake up and get the parents up no matter their trait. Right? But again all toddlers wake up and have nightmares and the way to solve that as I said is an answer for all, and none of that made sense to me as I expected toddlers to be individuals with the traits they were given. I wouldn't expect a fussy toddler want to play with particular things, or with parents etc. But they all do, so yeah, maybe I'm not as picky as I think, and see the lack of indivuality still yet even with improved traits for toddlers.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited September 2019
    Evil_One wrote: »

I have an info graphic for that!

Kids.png

Zoomed.
    https://postimg.cc/YhRsJtdL

Thanks for the graphic.

That's what made TS2 better, everything was based upon an intricate network of probabilities that ultimately decided whether any sim would do something at any given time... In TS4 it's just guided entirely by the 'emotion' system, which overrides everything.

TS4 has lost a hell of a lot compared with previous games.
    raw
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2019
    In my eyes, family players have still gotten it better than supernatural players over the course of this game's lifetime. Family players have gotten two stuff packs of things for the little ones and a game pack with expanded family play, Toddlers were added for FREE with (in my opinion) the best gameplay for that lifestage in the history of the game (Toddlers in beds, not cribs...'nuff said) plus a stuff pack devoted to doing the laundry, and most of the packs in general have centered around everyday activities and situations that easily add oodles of options to the things you can do with and for an average sim family (bowling, ice skating, going to the beach, joining clubs, getting a pet, etc.). It's come chopped up into lots of pieces, but for all of your normal sitcom family needs, it's there. Sure, Children and Teens could use some more age-specific interactions and Granny needs something special to do other than getting wiped out every time she goes for a jog, but that's minor compared to all the stuff that you DO have to play with while you wait.

Supernatural players? We got Ghosts with the pool patch and Aliens in March 2015. Then, we had to wait from 2015 to 2017 to get Vampires (with Plant Sims added in "Cool Kitchen Stuff" as nothing more than a temporary status effect, mind you), then from 2017 to 2019 for Mermaids (frickin' Mermaids, instead of a core supernatural, like Werewolves or Zombies), and we can count ourselves lucky to finally be getting Witches/Casters/Mages this year too after little Susie finally got her wish to make a proper Disney Princess household granted!!

And Builders? They'd been waiting FOREVER for terrain tools and better foundation management before they finally got those things, and are still waiting on other important features, like staircases that aren't the standard straight ones and the ability to PAINT THE CEILING SOMETHING OTHER THAN WHITE!!! And you think "Object Babies" are bad? Builders have been cheated out of being able to set the lot sizes and lot density of the game's worlds or even a Create-A-World feature and stuck with tiny worlds with a handful of pre-sized lots. Heck, you can't even start a save file without making a sim and dumping him off on a lot first, and WAY too many of the existing lots (especially the largest ones) are monopolized by pre-made houses that you have to demolish first to actually build on that land. And don't even get me started on the apartment debacle...

So, are Family players missing stuff too? Yeah. But there are groups of players who have even more stuff missing and have had to wait longer to get most of the things they need to make the most of THEIR gameplay experience. Y'all ain't special.

The general issue with the TS4 is that there is a little something for everyone. However, the reason that almost every faction feels half-starved for content is that it is all being spread out over too many years.

Arguably, there is not one theme that has been completed in TS4 in one go. Fame? Incomplete. Family play? Incomplete? Seasonal activities? Incomplete. Supernaturals? Incomplete. Unfortunately, it's all by design in order to eke out every single penny possible. We're all hungry for something substantial and each time that EA sees fit to 'feed' us, we receive a thimbleful of content although we pay for a plate.

At this point, EA is one monstrously large entity that is intent on exploiting and destroying the gaming industry. In comparison to other franchises, corporate greed hasn't been as much of a corrupting force in The Sims series. That is, until now. The piecemealing started with the TS3 store. TS4 has brought it to an art form. Every single time that the community gets excited by a concept, there's an invariable letdown once the package is released and fundamental facets are missing.

EA, please stop! I'm begging.

Expansion packs are meant to expand. Pick a concept, hit all of the major points, and make it as in-depth as possible. Then, move on to the next. Stop dragging everything out. In the end, you will drive your customer base away. Especially, the older ones who remember what it felt like when The Sims series was a passion project instead of a piggy bank.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    @PrincipleOfEntropy and @Cynna you two summed it up perfectly!
  • Options
    edited September 2019

More images of concrete play structures, as well as old metal ones, are posted Here.

3727915492_079f81d1bb_b.jpgIMG_4331.jpg

That first play structure brings back such fond memories for me. A bunch of us used to straddle the top and pretend that we were riding a horse. Or, we'd tuck in underneath and we had a fort, a castle, or a teepee. It's amazing how much kids can do with the simplest objects.

I would love to see more things like this in a Sims game. There are too few playground objects by far.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    @ApparentlyAwesome You are not “apparently awesome”. You are awesome. Please join The Sims Studio.

Thank you. :blush:

I just feel like if they put even half as much effort as they put into making sure they did right for the LGBTQ+ community into improving the life stages then no matter how a sim may identify they'd be better in general. And that's not to undermine the good things they did for the LGBTQ+ but they still haven't improved much on the basics of every life stage with the experiences most of us have across the board.

It's not like at the snap of fingers a child is suddenly self aware and aware of the world around them on a deeper level of understanding. It takes time for those life skills to develop and if gradual aging isn't going to be a thing so that development can progress more naturally I think they either need to find a better way to develop within the life stages they set or add new life stages because sometimes, and I think this applies to all of the games, it does feel like a leap going from one life stage to another when developmentally they were at A then suddenly at C. You get them on the younger end of a spectrum or the older end, and when it's time to cross over into a new life stage it feels a bit unrealistic.

We go from an immobile object baby stuck to a crib to a walking toddler with no in between or clear signs of development leading to that walking toddler. The leap from child to teen also feels like there's missing parts in development in the games. In TS3 you go from having a child afraid of monsters under the bed and with no romantic inclinations whatsoever to a teenager who wants to learn how to drive and have a significant other to take to prom. The most natural age ups to me, which isn't all that surprising, have been Teen to Young Adult to Adult. Everything else has always felt like there was a step or two missing.

And for as popular as it is, I feel like they don't really capture the essence of young adults either sometimes, and family dynamics in general, or at least make it easier for certain dynamics. I'd love to be able to do things like have an adult sim give their teen or young adult kid keys to the house to come and go within reason. To be able to change the locks as a joke or because they're abusing the privilege. To be able to allow family and friends close like family to just come over without needed to ring a bell or to be able to give them a key. To have the young adult kids ask their adult or elderly parents for advice on different situations in their life or with their own kids. Parent/teacher conferences. Allowance (which would likely also mean a better division of household funds which works for more than just family play), to have kids stay with other relatives for a while, for grandparents, aunts, uncles, or close family friends to be able to take kids on trips to give the parents some much needed alone time but 1 day in you receive a call that grandpa is flying little Joe back into town because he's the bad one and they're fed up. Of course that would mean there's an airport, but stuff like that I'd love to see in the next game.

This is so very well said.

giphy.gif
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    @PrincipleOfEntropy May I know where you keep your infographics at?
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    @ApparentlyAwesome You are not “apparently awesome”. You are awesome. Please join The Sims Studio.

I just feel like if they put even half as much effort as they put into making sure they did right for the LGBTQ+ community into improving the life stages then no matter how a sim may identify they'd be better in general. And that's not to undermine the good things they did for the LGBTQ+ but they still haven't improved much on the basics of every life stage with the experiences most of us have across the board.

It's not like at the snap of fingers a child is suddenly self aware and aware of the world around them on a deeper level of understanding. It takes time for those life skills to develop and if gradual aging isn't going to be a thing so that development can progress more naturally I think they either need to find a better way to develop within the life stages they set or add new life stages because sometimes, and I think this applies to all of the games, it does feel like a leap going from one life stage to another when developmentally they were at A then suddenly at C. You get them on the younger end of a spectrum or the older end, and when it's time to cross over into a new life stage it feels a bit unrealistic.

We go from an immobile object baby stuck to a crib to a walking toddler with no in between or clear signs of development leading to that walking toddler. The leap from child to teen also feels like there's missing parts in development in the games. In TS3 you go from having a child afraid of monsters under the bed and with no romantic inclinations whatsoever to a teenager who wants to learn how to drive and have a significant other to take to prom. The most natural age ups to me, which isn't all that surprising, have been Teen to Young Adult to Adult. Everything else has always felt like there was a step or two missing.

And for as popular as it is, I feel like they don't really capture the essence of young adults either sometimes, and family dynamics in general, or at least make it easier for certain dynamics. I'd love to be able to do things like have an adult sim give their teen or young adult kid keys to the house to come and go within reason. To be able to change the locks as a joke or because they're abusing the privilege. To be able to allow family and friends close like family to just come over without needed to ring a bell or to be able to give them a key. To have the young adult kids ask their adult or elderly parents for advice on different situations in their life or with their own kids. Parent/teacher conferences. Allowance (which would likely also mean a better division of household funds which works for more than just family play), to have kids stay with other relatives for a while, for grandparents, aunts, uncles, or close family friends to be able to take kids on trips to give the parents some much needed alone time but 1 day in you receive a call that grandpa is flying little Joe back into town because he's the bad one and they're fed up. Of course that would mean there's an airport, but stuff like that I'd love to see in the next game.

Quoted for truth. Well said.

By the way, some of that stuff that you have mentioned has been available for a while through the modding community. Funny how modders have found ways of using the systems that are already present in the code to go further than EA has ever gone with their own program.

I truly believe that EA doesn't go as far as they should or could because they know that certain members of the community will do their work for them, for free. If I'm not mistaken, one of the Gurus said as much. (Of course, not in so many words.)
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey folks, I've removed some off topic comments in here. As I've mentioned before let's try and keep this on topic please.
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

Quoted for truth. Well said.

By the way, some of that stuff that you have mentioned has been available for a while through the modding community. Funny how modders have found ways of using the systems that are already present in the code to go further than EA has ever gone with their own program.

I truly believe that EA doesn't go as far as they should or could because they know that certain members of the community will do their work for them, for free. If I'm not mistaken, one of the Gurus said as much. (Of course, not in so many words.)

I agree. What also comes to mind is when one of the gurus said there was a difference in what's acceptable quality when it comes to a free mod vs official content from them. A modder does take what they've worked on and add to it but why can't they, the official makers of the game, go that extra mile like they used to and add similar details or add more options for players? And why when their games end are modders the one fixing it?

I sometimes wonder where this series would be without the modders adding and fixing things. I don't even think some players realize just how reliant they are on mods until a new patch is released and they tell themselves they have to wait to play. If modders were to ever collectively just stop making mods I think they'd get some anger but all focus would soon shift to Maxis and how some things don't get fixed or aren't as fleshed out as they should be by now.

It would be nice to start getting base games that feel as or more fulfilling than the last base games with tools, options, and gameplay right out the gate to mold the game as close to what we players want as possible. Having better life stages and personalities, and options for those life stages and personalities, helps to have better experiences in general.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    In my eyes, family players have still gotten it better than supernatural players over the course of this game's lifetime. Family players have gotten two stuff packs of things for the little ones and a game pack with expanded family play, Toddlers were added for FREE with (in my opinion) the best gameplay for that lifestage in the history of the game (Toddlers in beds, not cribs...'nuff said) plus a stuff pack devoted to doing the laundry, and most of the packs in general have centered around everyday activities and situations that easily add oodles of options to the things you can do with and for an average sim family (bowling, ice skating, going to the beach, joining clubs, getting a pet, etc.). It's come chopped up into lots of pieces, but for all of your normal sitcom family needs, it's there. Sure, Children and Teens could use some more age-specific interactions and Granny needs something special to do other than getting wiped out every time she goes for a jog, but that's minor compared to all the stuff that you DO have to play with while you wait.

Supernatural players? We got Ghosts with the pool patch and Aliens in March 2015. Then, we had to wait from 2015 to 2017 to get Vampires (with Plant Sims added in "Cool Kitchen Stuff" as nothing more than a temporary status effect, mind you), then from 2017 to 2019 for Mermaids (frickin' Mermaids, instead of a core supernatural, like Werewolves or Zombies), and we can count ourselves lucky to finally be getting Witches/Casters/Mages this year too after little Susie finally got her wish to make a proper Disney Princess household granted!!

And Builders? They'd been waiting FOREVER for terrain tools and better foundation management before they finally got those things, and are still waiting on other important features, like staircases that aren't the standard straight ones and the ability to PAINT THE CEILING SOMETHING OTHER THAN WHITE!!! And you think "Object Babies" are bad? Builders have been cheated out of being able to set the lot sizes and lot density of the game's worlds or even a Create-A-World feature and stuck with tiny worlds with a handful of pre-sized lots. Heck, you can't even start a save file without making a sim and dumping him off on a lot first, and WAY too many of the existing lots (especially the largest ones) are monopolized by pre-made houses that you have to demolish first to actually build on that land. And don't even get me started on the apartment debacle...

So, are Family players missing stuff too? Yeah. But there are groups of players who have even more stuff missing and have had to wait longer to get most of the things they need to make the most of THEIR gameplay experience. Y'all ain't special.

The general issue with the TS4 is that there is a little something for everyone. However, the reason that almost every faction feels half-starved for content is that it is all being spread out over too many years.

Arguably, there is not one theme that has been completed in TS4 in one go. Fame? Incomplete. Family play? Incomplete? Seasonal activities? Incomplete. Supernaturals? Incomplete. Unfortunately, it's all by design in order to eke out every single penny possible. We're all hungry for something substantial and each time that EA sees fit to 'feed' us, we receive a thimbleful of content although we pay for a plate.

At this point, EA is one monstrously large entity that is intent on exploiting and destroying the gaming industry. In comparison to other franchises, corporate greed hasn't been as much of a corrupting force in The Sims series. That is, until now. The piecemealing started with the TS3 store. TS4 has brought it to an art form. Every single time that the community gets excited by a concept, there's an invariable letdown once the package is released and fundamental facets are missing.

EA, please stop! I'm begging.

Expansion packs are meant to expand. Pick a concept, hit all of the major points, and make it as in-depth as possible. Then, move on to the next. Stop dragging everything out. In the end, you will drive your customer base away. Especially, the older ones who remember what it felt like when The Sims series was a passion project instead of a piggy bank.

I agree. But I don't think they really care if the super hardcore players leave. That's what one guru (producer) called those who are sticklers ( I guess) for detail when discussing finding the balance of how to attract new gamers and please super hardcore fans. Almost as if being super hardcore was more a liabilty to them than an asset to have a hardcore fanbase. And it brings me back again to the words of Peter Moore, who said more or less (called fans) 'that hardcore bunch' was the problem when trying to get the fanbase to accept online all the time and MMO and or whatever with playing a game outside of single player. It's not just an attitude of developers (some) but trickles down from the top. If they could just get those hardcore fans to leave or stop being so fussy they could have an all happy newbie crowd and not have to please them so much is my take away from both these people and their statements. One before TS4 release and the other more recently, like lately.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited September 2019
    Because people want to play with ‘characters’ and not sims. Because most of the youth today bearly get of their phones to worry about what their child is doing.

I gave up hope for babies when they bought out Parenthood, that was the perfect opportunity to buff the babies yet they focused on toddlers because they’d recently been added.

—T
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I agree. But I don't think they really care if the super hardcore players leave. That's what one guru (producer) called those who are sticklers ( I guess) for detail when discussing finding the balance of how to attract new gamers and please super hardcore fans. Almost as if being super hardcore was more a liabilty to them than an asset to have a hardcore fanbase. And it brings me back again to the words of Peter Moore, who said more or less (called fans) 'that hardcore bunch' was the problem when trying to get the fanbase to accept online all the time and MMO and or whatever with playing a game outside of single player. It's not just an attitude of developers (some) but trickles down from the top. If they could just get those hardcore fans to leave or stop being so fussy they could have an all happy newbie crowd and not have to please them so much is my take away from both these people and their statements. One before TS4 release and the other more recently, like lately.

It's a sad truth that the old guard, so to speak, is now outdated and all but irrelevant. We're much too demanding. Never mind that all we're asking for is a baseline of quality. All we're asking is that the new game be at least as good at its predecessors at being, you know, an actual game with substance and depth. We're asking that the soul of the game remains intact -- single-player, offline, our world, we rule. Because the Sims series was never meant to be a cooperative and whenever it was attempted, the result was a spectacular failure.

But, nah. That's way too much to ask!

I agree. What also comes to mind is when one of the gurus said there was a difference in what's acceptable quality when it comes to a free mod vs official content from them. A modder does take what they've worked on and add to it but why can't they, the official makers of the game, go that extra mile like they used to and add similar details or add more options for players? And why when their games end are modders the one fixing it?

I sometimes wonder where this series would be without the modders adding and fixing things. I don't even think some players realize just how reliant they are on mods until a new patch is released and they tell themselves they have to wait to play. If modders were to ever collectively just stop making mods I think they'd get some anger but all focus would soon shift to Maxis and how some things don't get fixed or aren't as fleshed out as they should be by now.

It would be nice to start getting base games that feel as or more fulfilling than the last base games with tools, options, and gameplay right out the gate to mold the game as close to what we players want as possible. Having better life stages and personalities, and options for those life stages and personalities, helps to have better experiences in general.

I can't speak for everyone. Yet, I would not have stuck with the series as long as I have if not for modders. Specifically, I would not have stuck around if not for the modders who fixed the bugs and broken features which EA couldn't be bothered to fix.

I would love a base game that feels like a full-throated game all on its own. I wish that the developers would create a base game with these thoughts always in mind: "If this is it, if this is all there is, is it a good game? Could it be considered fun and complete all on its own?"

Those questions would be a decent litmus test as to whether or not a base game is ready for publication.

TS and TS2 would have gotten a resounding yes. They were self-contained and fun. Expansions were the icing on a delicious cake. After TS2, it was blatantly obvious that instead of asking themselves my suggested questions, the suits at EA started to ask: "What can we hold back to sell later? Oh, and whatever it is, make it something substantial so that the players will be begging us to let them buy it at an additional cost!"

So, instead of a delicious cake, TS4 arrived like a box of cake mix with milk, eggs, the baking pan, the oven, and frosting to follow (as paid expansions, of course).
    Post edited by Cynna on
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member

Sims4-254.jpg?width=640

e7L6Wdj.png

The traits for toddlers do work well - otherwise, players wouldn't feel so passionately against some of them. (Personally, I will never, ever have another 'wild child', and I don't much care for the sassy 'independent' trait, either.) I'd only like to see more traits, or even better, a 'sub-trait'.

I'd really like some sort of variation in baby temperaments, too - not necessarily selected by the player or dependent on parenting skill (just as in real life). Fussy babies, happy babies, babies who sleep all the time... . Even better, I'd like baby care to mean something when they age up to toddler. While caring for the baby does build relationship and parenting skills, it would be nice if babies that get a lot of bouncing and cuddling gain skills as toddlers faster, while those given the absolute minimum (feed and change) are a little slower (again, just like real life).

And I want the changing table for babies and toddlers and diapers that don't evaporate. And a baby bath. And more mental skill toys for my toddlers.

If you are using cc to illustrate topics can you say so please? Otherwise it looks as if it is a Maxis bug when it isn't.
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »

Sims4-254.jpg?width=640

e7L6Wdj.png

If you are using cc to illustrate topics can you say so please? Otherwise it looks as if it is a Maxis bug when it isn't.

What bug?

I think that the poster was referring to evaporating diapers? That's a base game feature. In TS2, diapers and bottles had to be cleaned up, they didn't just disappear into thin air. It was kind of cool, actually. The homes of sloppy parents always looked a mess -- moldering diapers and bottles everywhere. :D
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Sims4-254.jpg?width=640

e7L6Wdj.png

What bug?

I think that the poster was referring to evaporating diapers? That's a base game feature. In TS2, diapers and bottles had to be cleaned up, they didn't just disappear into thin air. It was kind of cool, actually. The homes of sloppy parents always looked a mess -- moldering diapers and bottles everywhere. :D
    I think they might be referring to the crib and the quite painful experience that must be for the father there ;) Even I though (not exactly a Sims 4 expert) knew that must be CC because the game has toddler beds and not cribs.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    Personally I really really find a desperate need for Elders in this game to be given some love.

Once a sim is out of adulthood, their lives are over. I found myself just moving elders in legacy families to a 'retirement home' lot I made for them to die in. It's so sad, but they have nothing to do.

They can work until they die, or they can accidentally work OUT til they die. And sometimes they live to see a grandchild born, maybe.

There aren't any specific hobbies for elders (or just more home-bound sims like knitting, sewing, making jam/jellies from home-grown fruits, care packages/baskets of baked goods, etc). They don't have canes, or really any appropriate clothing or accessories for them.

Half the time too, if playing on Normal life spans, they will die before their first grandchild is born, which is really upsetting since I have even rushed couples to get married immediately upon reaching YA status, and once the child is born, and old enough for the grandparent to interact with properly, the elder just. Dies. And the kid doesn't even really care.

I really want some interactions that are specific to Elders, among themselves, and to younger sims. As of right now, there's no reason to play with Elder sims. Everything is exhausting and dangerous, even for sims who were fit their whole lives, gym rats, with 10 athletic skill and healthy living - the elder wants to work out because they are active, and they fall over and die. One of my sims lost his active husband like that because I didn't notice him in time. It's ridiculous.
  • Options

Sims4-254.jpg?width=640

e7L6Wdj.png

What bug?

I think they might be referring to the crib and the quite painful experience that must be for the father there ;) Even I though (not exactly a Sims 4 expert) knew that must be CC because the game has toddler beds and not cribs.

Oh, the picture! :D

Yes, you're right. there are no cribs in-game, only the toddler bed or the bassinet.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg