Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cars?

Been thinking about cars lately. They're pretty low on my list of priorities, but I know lots of people want them. And I always hope people can get the things they'd want.

Just been thinking about the logistics of implementing them in game.

There are, as I see it, two big problems.

The first is just that you'd need to build a new set of build mode and terrain tools. Lots aren't consistently placed enough for a uniform driveway object to work. And, more than that, the people who seem to want cars most are often those interested in build mode, and current builds often feature different kinds of driveway - winding or short, curved, elevated, etc. They'd need to make a tool that makes those actually driveable terrain, and allows for the manipulation of that terrain.

The second, and much bigger one, is where the cars are going to go. I don't mean "but loading screens!" - I played the Sims 2. I know the car can just pull out of the driveway and disappear and then you get your loading screen (and, potentially, the car parked at the new lot? - though then the game has to keep track of where the car is AND we need to find "parking" for all or most lots) - I mean when the car pulls out of the buildable lot, where does it go?

In some residential lots, this is obvious. There's a road. It goes to the road. Whatever driveway tool you make would have to make a ramp in the sidewalk just past the driveway area (that, also, seems like a lot of work, but at least there's a ROAD), but a lot of the residential lots are landlocked, with no nearby roads.

The most obvious example is all the island in Windenburg. Being an island (that your sims presumably travel to by boat), it has no roads. But there's also at least one lot (I think more? I'd have to check) in Brindleton Bay that doesn't have any direct street access. (There's a little gathering of cars beneath suggesting, I think, that the neighborhood shares a little parking area, but that's not gonna help for Car Gameplay). And I'm not going to check right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more.

So not only would you have to edit the boundary world just outside of all lots with road access to make it interact with the lot somehow to create driveable driveways, but on some lots - what, you just can't have cars if you live there? Or?

Knowing what we can expect realistically, I feel like if we ever did get cars, either

They would not be driveable/have driveable driveways. Best case scenario, you click on the car and click travel, and it takes you to the loading screen, likely with no animation of the sims even getting in the car, and certainly no animation of the car actually moving.

OR

They would only be playable on select residential lots, with pre-selected points of entry and exit for each lot (sorry builders, but the alternative sounds like too much work to implement at this point. If they'd planned for it from the beginning, maybe!). They would then disappear at arrival (where's the car parked? We'll never know). Maybe these lots are even only in a new world built with cars in mind, with no real plans to add them to base game.

I know this won't deter people from wanting cars. Even if they're just things to work on your handiness skill (or a new Mechanic skill) and customize and such, they're an integral part of many regular people's lives, and some people really want that in the game. But I think either we'd get no driving animations or we can't have them on all or even most existing lots.

And they sound like a lot of work for limited return.
Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.

Comments

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Well, we got boats, so we might be getting cars in some form other than child toys and debug objects.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    SomebodySomeplaceSomebodySomeplace Posts: 62 Member
    I think if we got functional cars it would just be taxis, ubers, and school buses that just appear at the curb in front of the house and drive away like the cars and trolleys you can already see on the streets in the game.

They could also give us stationary cars/motorcycles that your sims cannot drive, but can work on, upgrade, give a new paint job, show-off, cry in, listen to music in, ect.

As far as transportation objects go, I'm personally hoping for bikes, skateboards, and scooters for all ages to earn fitness/movement skill, and to exit a neighborhood (like instead of walking to the edge of a neighborhood and hitting a load screen, you could bike there). This would also be good for places like San Myshuno, which doesn't have roads in playable areas. You could just keep them in inventory or a bike rack object, and the neighborhood terrain doesn't have to be changed, even if you don't want sims to just appear on the road or sidewalk on their bike/skateboard/ect.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    It's like I said in previous car threads.

It's very easy. If the lot has a road next to it, you can place a car, if it doesn't you can't. Same with the boats. No water, no boats can be placed.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2019
    If they can add boats, they can add cars. They can create a little 5x5 square for a driveway and a car can be plopped down on it. It can be draggable from the inventory. When you’re going somewhere, sure it would be nice if it showed the car pulling out and driving down the street but that’s not a priority to me personally.

When we do get to a second location, the car can stay in the person’s inventory OR it can automatically appear onto that 5x5 driveway square if there is one.

I think it’s entirely possible, probable, and would be an awesome touch to add - I hope they do it sooner rather than later!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    If they can add boats, they can add cars. They can create a little 5x5 square for a driveway and a car can be plopped down on it. It can be draggable from the inventory. When you’re going somewhere, sure it would be nice if it showed the car pulling out and driving down the street but that’s not a priority to me personally.

When we do get to a second location, the car can stay in the person’s inventory OR it can automatically appear onto that 5x5 driveway square if there is one.

I think it’s entirely possible, probable, and would be an awesome touch to add - I hope they do it sooner rather than later!

They can add parking lots for us to put in community lots and we'd be able to see sims parking there if they have a car in their inventory.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »

They can add parking lots for us to put in community lots and we'd be able to see sims parking there if they have a car in their inventory.

Yep
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    I mean we have boats, aquazips and rocketships so I don't see problem other than that going to work might be bit iffy

but we could at least have helicopter pick up our sims for level 10 jobs

since I mean if we can have alien abduction and rocketships shouldn't that be possible just as easily?

the cars themselves could work similar to boats +rocketships

meaning you can build them, upgrade them, sit in them, woohoo in them, drive them in routed areas and store them wherever on your lot

id also really love one car optimized world where driving would really make sense for this purpose

and oasis springs could be updated too since I don't see why not
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I think they should add cars, they don't serve much use in a world where you can teleport anywhere instantly but it will be a nice touch and and it will add more details and realism to the sims4.

They don't have to update the worlds, just have them work like the rocket ships where you can place them on a parking lot. You could add stuff like a car mechanic skill where you could upgrade and tune your car and you could have a world where you could race with other sims. You could have different car races for different types of car, you could have races for simple older cars and then more expensive high-end sport cars.

I mean, the boats in sulani don't serve much of a purpose in other worlds either so I don't see why they can't have a car world added to the game.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member

It's very easy. If the lot has a road next to it, you can place a car, if it doesn't you can't. Same with the boats. No water, no boats can be placed.

It’s not easy that they wanna animate cars pulling out of the driveway (like how it was in TS2). In TS2, all lots are immediately next to a straight road so it was very easy to animate it. In TS4 though, the roads vary a lot depending on the lot. For some lots you got fences between the road and the lot that are blocking the way. For some lots the road is curved. Sometimes the road and the lot are of different terrain heights. It’s just way more complicated than TS2.

It wouldn’t be hard if it worked like TS3 (i.e. cars just teleport to the road).
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    We are still asking for cars in 2019 LMAO.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options

tbh lowkey funny because im not planning to have one irl and here i am asking one for my sims
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »

tbh lowkey funny because im not planning to have one irl and here i am asking one for my sims

Haha sure it's always different in real life. I love fishing and gardening in The Sims, it's clearly not the case in real life. ^^
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    elelunicy wrote: »

It’s not easy that they wanna animate cars pulling out of the driveway (like how it was in TS2). In TS2, all lots are immediately next to a straight road so it was very easy to animate it. In TS4 though, the roads vary a lot depending on the lot. For some lots you got fences between the road and the lot that are blocking the way. For some lots the road is curved. Sometimes the road and the lot are of different terrain heights. It’s just way more complicated than TS2.

It wouldn’t be hard if it worked like TS3 (i.e. cars just teleport to the road).

They can still animate sims parking, inside the lot, in the parking lot, or coming out of the garage with the car and then disappear into the loading screen. They don't necessarily have to come from and into the road, into the lot. Because yes, that would not be feasible in TS4, we have to be realistic and work with what we got.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

Ikr wth :D
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    Been thinking about cars lately. They're pretty low on my list of priorities, but I know lots of people want them. And I always hope people can get the things they'd want.

Just been thinking about the logistics of implementing them in game.

There are, as I see it, two big problems.

The first is just that you'd need to build a new set of build mode and terrain tools. Lots aren't consistently placed enough for a uniform driveway object to work. And, more than that, the people who seem to want cars most are often those interested in build mode, and current builds often feature different kinds of driveway - winding or short, curved, elevated, etc. They'd need to make a tool that makes those actually driveable terrain, and allows for the manipulation of that terrain.

The second, and much bigger one, is where the cars are going to go. I don't mean "but loading screens!" - I played the Sims 2. I know the car can just pull out of the driveway and disappear and then you get your loading screen (and, potentially, the car parked at the new lot? - though then the game has to keep track of where the car is AND we need to find "parking" for all or most lots) - I mean when the car pulls out of the buildable lot, where does it go?

In some residential lots, this is obvious. There's a road. It goes to the road. Whatever driveway tool you make would have to make a ramp in the sidewalk just past the driveway area (that, also, seems like a lot of work, but at least there's a ROAD), but a lot of the residential lots are landlocked, with no nearby roads.

The most obvious example is all the island in Windenburg. Being an island (that your sims presumably travel to by boat), it has no roads. But there's also at least one lot (I think more? I'd have to check) in Brindleton Bay that doesn't have any direct street access. (There's a little gathering of cars beneath suggesting, I think, that the neighborhood shares a little parking area, but that's not gonna help for Car Gameplay). And I'm not going to check right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more.

So not only would you have to edit the boundary world just outside of all lots with road access to make it interact with the lot somehow to create driveable driveways, but on some lots - what, you just can't have cars if you live there? Or?

Knowing what we can expect realistically, I feel like if we ever did get cars, either

They would not be driveable/have driveable driveways. Best case scenario, you click on the car and click travel, and it takes you to the loading screen, likely with no animation of the sims even getting in the car, and certainly no animation of the car actually moving.

OR

They would only be playable on select residential lots, with pre-selected points of entry and exit for each lot (sorry builders, but the alternative sounds like too much work to implement at this point. If they'd planned for it from the beginning, maybe!). They would then disappear at arrival (where's the car parked? We'll never know). Maybe these lots are even only in a new world built with cars in mind, with no real plans to add them to base game.

I know this won't deter people from wanting cars. Even if they're just things to work on your handiness skill (or a new Mechanic skill) and customize and such, they're an integral part of many regular people's lives, and some people really want that in the game. But I think either we'd get no driving animations or we can't have them on all or even most existing lots.

And they sound like a lot of work for limited return.

Since Maxis created boats I think that set the stage for cars. I'm sure they ll find a way. I just hope more then 1 sim can ride in cars vs only 1 sim per boat.
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited August 2019
    Adding cars to the game doesn't have to be that difficult to do imo.

They can make a combination of the Sims 2 and the Sims 3 cars easily. They can give us the animations for opening the doors, getting in, listen to radio, woohoo etc. on the driveway, but as soon as Sims want to ''drive away'' the car teleports onto the road and drives off. (If it makes sense in the world where they are in. I.e. in Windenburg there are parts where it's pedestrian only, so they wouldn't drive off, but just teleport away.)

This pretty much solves the ''not attached to a road'' problem.

And when Sims are arriving at their destination, they can either have a new parking lot object where cars automatically pop onto, or they can just ''put them in their inventory'' and when they are going back home again, or to a different lot, they can just pop it out and go. Not the most 'realistic' way, but well, it is the Sims 4 we are talking about.
  • Options
    DOKKOMDOKKOM Posts: 27 Member
    edited August 2019
    No one told me about the plan for the patch for cars. I don't know if a car will be added, absent or partially brought in Sims 4. And if cars shoud disappear in Sims 4, I haven't even heard why! I'm just waiting! For Four years! Five years? Why should I do that?
  • Options
    DOKKOM wrote: »
    No one told me about the plan for the patch for cars. I don't know if a car will be added, absent or partially brought in Sims 4. And if cars shoud disappear in Sims 4, I haven't even heard why! I'm just waiting! For Four years! Five years? Why should I do that?

I would say it's likely we're going to get cars by Late Fiscal 2020.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited August 2019
    I would assume if you were to travel to a lot with no parking lot then the car would just go into the sims inventory, and then when they would travel again they would just pull it out of their inventory and onto the road. That's how Sims 3 did it. My only wish is there to be an animation of the Sims getting in and out of the cars.

But besides just cars I would want transportation in general. Community busses that come every ingame 30 minutes, bikes, scooters, skate boards, the ability to rollerblade anywhere with Seasons, these forms of transport would be a lot more practical in Sims 4 worlds.
  • Options
    filipomel wrote: »
    I would assume if you were to travel to a lot with no parking lot then the car would just go into the sims inventory, and then when they would travel again they would just pull it out of their inventory and onto the road. That's how Sims 3 did it. My only wish is there to be an animation of the Sims getting in and out of the cars.

But besides just cars I would want transportation in general. Community busses that come every ingame 30 minutes, bikes, scooters, skate boards, the ability to rollerblade anywhere with Seasons, these forms of transport would be a lot more practical in Sims 4 worlds.

Don't forget about motorcycles. I want those back as well.
  • Options
    filipomel wrote: »

Don't forget about motorcycles. I want those back as well.

YES motorcycles are very much important and needed even if only for my gasoline row build (i literally had to use aqua zips for it and it looks so off)

cant see why we couldn't have motorcycle racing at least and building motorcycles for it it be so cool
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I doubt that cars, if they ever come, would be drivable like in TS3. I would be satisfied if they were like a cross between those in TS2 and Freetime, and the car from Roaring Heights. They could require a driveway object (not a garage), which wouldn’t be too big. If the lot was not adjacent to a road then there could be a restriction preventing the placement of a car. (No cars in Sulani or on the Island of Windenburg, but I wouldn’t want them there anyway).

On the home lot, cars could be worked on and fixed as a new skilling object, be used by teens for parking and making out (with radios playing etc), and serve as a new woohoo spot for adults. Teens would still have to learn to drive to access a car but this would likely be a rabbit hole with chance cards — it could still be done well. It could require some skill and a focussed mood or there could be consequences (like with the rocket ship crash).

For drivers, cars could trigger loading screens (once Sims were inside) but much faster than the phone does, which usually requires a sim to walk to a departure point. However, unlike with the elevators in City Living, I see no reason why they couldn’t (as was done in TS2) animate sims getting in the car together, visibly starting the engine, doing a shoulder check and backing up, at least a little, before the loading screen kicks in. Upon arrival, if there is no parking space object available, the car just goes in the driver’s inventory like in TS3 (and it never gets left behind, unlike in TS3).

I love the idea bikes and skateboards — yes please, along with scooters, motorbikes and mopeds.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Meh. I believe the Sims team will figure it out and implement them one way or another. May be less complicated than you imagine.
  • Options
    What if the Next Expansion isn't Universities but On The Road?
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    What if the Next Expansion isn't Universities but On The Road?

That would never be an expansion. Gamepack, maybe.