Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you handle family trees?

MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
Obviously, the family trees in TS4 are a bit lacking. Personally, I can’t really use them because people are getting culled and then deleted from the tree all the time, especially if you have been playing for many generations. Also there’s no room to write some details about each sim and you can’t select what picture gets used. So, I use other family tree software instead. This made me wonder what everyone else does and how many people actually use the lacklustre in game family tree.

Optional:
Share a link/picture of your family tree. Here’s mine on family echo:
My Legacy Family Tree

And: share your ideas on how the in game family tree could be improved.

How do you handle family trees? 122 votes

I just use the in game family tree
44%
Nh6650GalacticGalalexspoom13storyyPlayerSinger2010AlrynnMeteoraStorminvisiblgirlMariefoxprice83MindofySimplyJenAquariusMomduhboy2u2phantasmkissHarukotyanLissyK9SelinaKylesSindocatAnnLee87annaliese39 54 votes
I use the plum tree family tree
31%
jeepjeepcatHowGreatThouArtoveronMjstsmPSimQueenie9MissyHissytekena36nkl93jheyjuneiceblueyblueskyFLauriemariajane216DoloresGreydorcsyfulMDianaSimsPinkmonkeySimtown15PlumbobGrandmaTomatplanteMagicalZia 38 votes
I use family echo
10%
Simmelina1Colorist40Seera1024fruitsbasket101Emma3848Sabine-TimmerMaggieMarleyWaytoomanyUIDsCementDestin2016Nephesh_SpiritDarkAngel1994popstarsley 13 votes
I use some other family tree software (please specify)
1%
Bagoas77EnkiSchmidt 2 votes
Other (please give details)
12%
Akl500PSimmervilleaprilroseTWSimGamer82lisamwittDglbr1969elanorbretonSimpkinpurplestarz2006PegasysBusufux4m1r4QueenofMyshunoCheetahAlyssaDaWaterRat 15 votes

Comments

• Options
    mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    I use the plum tree because I don't like how hard it is to see the entire extended family with the in game one. The link to mine is in my signature.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I make my own.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited July 2019
    I used to use plumtree but got lazy with updating it so I just started writing all my births down in a notebook I have for sims. I have a link of my family tree in my siggy but I've played through several generations since.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    I use family echo
    @mia_noelle97 nice family tree! I like how you give all of your sims’ kids their own families (I generally just focus on the heir!). I agree about it being difficult to see extended family in the in game tree.
  • Options
    I use family echo
    I did use ancestry but then discovered that you can’t share ancestry family trees. So, I switched to the plum tree. But I had one gripe with the plum tree app: you can’t add the parents or siblings of your sims’ spouses to the family tree (and I like to do that). So I switched to family echo.
  • Options
    mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    @mia_noelle97 nice family tree! I like how you give all of your sims’ kids their own families (I generally just focus on the heir!). I agree about it being difficult to see extended family in the in game tree.

Thank you! Although a lot of that is because of MCCC. I'll usually give my spares one kid via playing with genetics in CAS once I marry them off, but pretty much the rest of it is MCCC's doing.
  • Options
    I use family echo
    @aprilrose wow how many generations are you on? The family tree in your signature is very extensive and if it’s not up to date then I’m even more impressed!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I use family echo

Thank you! Although a lot of that is because of MCCC. I'll usually give my spares one kid via playing with genetics in CAS once I marry them off, but pretty much the rest of it is MCCC's doing.
    @mia_noelle97 ah yes MCCC. That reminds me: I do let MCCC set up my few mortal spares (I generally play with vampires) with their own families but I’m usually too lazy to keep up with them so they mostly don’t appear on my tree.
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    I just write mine out in groups of text under the last name using mostly standard genealogical abbreviations (example: dv = divorced). This is my geneaology page from my previous save:

https://simchick.wordpress.com/genealogy/
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    @MaggieMarley I've honestly lost count at this point but I'm working on seeing how many generations I can play through before Sims 4 ends.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    I used to use family echo but I started using the plum tree. Though for actually writing down their skills etc (since I'm doing a legacy challenge) I use a separate PowerPoint document.
  • Options
    sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member
    Ive very recently started using Plum Tree and so far I'm happy with it. It allows me to add the Sims I want to add as well as their traits and aspiration. Although takes some remembering to update! I like how with Plum tree I can view the whole tree at once and zoom in and out as I do give my spares families and side stories etc. I don't really like in game where it just focuses on one branch at a time.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    I use some other family tree software (please specify)
    I use Ahnenblatt ("ancestor sheet"), because it is an offline program. It is pretty extensive, with far more info boxes than I need in a typical sims game.

Also tried Plum Tree and like it, but it shines more for multi-generational playstyles, in contrast to my family charts that are more broad than deep.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    When I want to look I do, especially for challenges. Otherwise, I forget it is even there.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Notebook for me personally. Lame I know but it’s something I can easily keep up with. Might try one of the places mentioned though.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited July 2019
    I tend to play the same family with ageing off so the in game family tree system is usually sufficient. However, I do have plans to move through generations now with one of my families, so I think I might give The Plum Tree a go, as well as using my own notes, to help maintain the family tree/information.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    MCCC has a Gedcom command that creates a Gedcom family tree file for the named sim. I then import that into a family tree program (my Heritage, because it has a desktop version and it's free. I just disable syncing.) There's some patching to be done, but I've been working with MyHeritage Family tree for my other writing projects for a while, so it's not a huge deal.

Of course, you have to do this at least once a generation because once a sim is culled, they don't show up on the Gedcom file any more.
  • Options
    I use family echo
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    MCCC has a Gedcom command that creates a Gedcom family tree file for the named sim. I then import that into a family tree program (my Heritage, because it has a desktop version and it's free. I just disable syncing.) There's some patching to be done, but I've been working with MyHeritage Family tree for my other writing projects for a while, so it's not a huge deal.

Of course, you have to do this at least once a generation because once a sim is culled, they don't show up on the Gedcom file any more.
    @DaWaterRat Oh awesome I didn’t know this was an option in MCCC! It’s too late for me to use it now in my main save (too many sims culled and consequent blanks on the family tree) but I’ll definitely bear it in mind for the future. Where would I find the Ged command in the MCCC menu?

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

@DaWaterRat Oh awesome I didn’t know this was an option in MCCC! It’s too late for me to use it now in my main save (too many sims culled and consequent blanks on the family tree) but I’ll definitely bear it in mind for the future. Where would I find the Ged command in the MCCC menu?

It's a command line you put in the cheat/command window, rather than a button on MCCC. "Gedcom [simfirstname] [simlastname]" I believe.
  • Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited July 2019
    I extract the family pictures generated with every save with Sims 4 Studio and save them in a folder numbered, every time someone ages up, dies,get pregnant, is born, etc.

This way, I can overlook the development of my families through the years.

Example:

BHGAACB.png
    ciwoTiG.png
    DI3Hvr0.png
    zBhvLul.png
  • Options
    I use family echo

It's a command line you put in the cheat/command window, rather than a button on MCCC. "Gedcom [simfirstname] [simlastname]" I believe.
    @DaWaterRat ah good to know! Thank you :)
  • Options
    I use family echo
    @Dakota88 that’s a great idea! Unfortunately I can’t do that because my custom gallery poses mess up those shots so that not everybody is in frame haha. Lovely family :)
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2019
    I don't really. I should look into a way that doesn't take to much effort. I'm actually quite sad to have recently learned about culling as I usually just relied on the game to keep this information in past versions.
  • Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    @Dakota88 that’s a great idea! Unfortunately I can’t do that because my custom gallery poses mess up those shots so that not everybody is in frame haha. Lovely family :)

Oh? What kind of poses mod is that?