Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Broken Genetics?

SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
What the heck is wrong with genetics since the Island Living patch?
mktRXix.png
Last night in my game Mele Kahananui gave birth to a black baby. The father is Alika Kahananui. None of the parents are black and it makes no sense at all for them to have a black child.

This is the second child born in my game that didn't share it's parents features. The first was born to my mermaid family which I didn't make a fuss about because I've heard that mermaid genetics are messed up but I didn't realize it was affecting regular sims as well. I don't think it's a mod issue as I only have very few mods and they're all up to date with the latest patch.

Now I have to wait for the baby to grow up before I can fix it and it's annoying me. :D

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    This is an old hiccup. Once the baby is aged up, normally speaking, the skin color adjusts to what it should be. It's disconcerting, I know. Same thing happened in my game ages back and I was told by others who had experienced it, too, what I have now conveyed to you.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited July 2019
    Isn’t this just because there are only like 3 skintones for babies or something?

Edit: for example my custom skin tone sims always have white babies that age up to be purple or peach or green or whatever colour their parents are.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited July 2019
    In my experience, a baby with that colour skin often ages up into a toddler with a lighter more ‘tanned’ skin colour, like Mele and Alika have. It’s because there’s not many skin tones for babies. All babies which are going to grow up to have a skin colour darker than a certain tone will have the skin tone of the baby in your picture but that covers several shades, many of them much lighter than the baby’s skin colour. This means that sims who are going to have quite dark skin and sims with more of a tanned skin tone will have the same skin colour as babies.

That’s probably what’s going on here, given the skin tones of the parents.

You’re likely just noticing this since Island Living since that pack introduced a number of sims with skin which is much lighter than that of the baby in your post but still just dark enough that that’s the baby skin colour that the game matches them with.
    Post edited by MaggieMarley on
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited July 2019
    It will change to the parents skin when they age to a toddler. It's a common glitch, my sims unfortunately keep having white babies when both are Black. Hopefully they'll fix the glitch in a patch.

Also, are you talking about the premade sims Alika and Mele? Because they are both defintely Black lmao. They have afro-textured hair
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2019
    Wow you would think they would make enough skin tones for the babies to match everybody else. I've never experienced this before but I did start using some default custom skin tones a few weeks ago so maybe it's just that.
  • Rhiannon1307Rhiannon1307 Posts: 147 Member
    edited July 2019
    mika wrote: »
    It will change to the parents skin when they age to a toddler. It's a common glitch, my sims unfortunately keep having white babies when both are Black. Hopefully they'll fix the glitch in a patch.

Also, are you talking about the premade sims Alika and Mele? Because they are both defintely Black lmao. They have afro-textured hair

Off topic but I have to say it: the Sim in your icon looks absolutely stunningly gorgeous. Reminds me a lot of Samantha in Dear White People. Can she be found in the gallery?

• mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    @Rhiannon1307

Thank you, that's not who I modeled her after but I appreciate the reference as I enjoy that show.

She's not on the gallery but I will upload her when I get home. I plan to turn her into a witch when Magic Realm releases
  • Rhiannon1307Rhiannon1307 Posts: 147 Member
    @mika Thank you! And yeah she'd make an awesome witch. I'm really curious about that pack now.

But to not stray too much from the actual topic and back to broken genetics or wonky genetics.
    Back in my Sims 2 days, you could model a Sim and then go into SimPE and make one Sim look exactly like your template. Is there any way in the Sims 4 to do something like that? Just copy someone's 'face'? Or to save a face as preset somehow? It's a feature I really miss.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    only mermaid genetics are broken, but semi-broken genetics have been happening in my game for as long as i can remember, the "semi-broken" are like above but not the skintone, the hair colours mostly.
    ihavemultiplegamertags