March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims Studio creativity is...

Comments

• Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    low (disappointing)
    This game plays like it was made by someone who thinks that all you have to do is put some text on a screen and that's gameplay. Tie it to a few animations and a shallow RNG notifications system to make it look good, and nobody will know the difference. Except that there is a difference, there's practically no actual gameplay. The mindset seems too entrenched, and unable to go beyond the boundaries of what they already have done.

That's the problem, the Sims 4 is a life simulator with no simulation.

raw
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    low (disappointing)
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Ok, when it comes to the producers, it's not that bad. Plus, we are the ones who ask for the same themes from past iterations over and over. They are good themes though, and they pretty much go over the most key aspects of life itself. Vacations, working/opening a business, nightlife, apartment living, pets, seasons, hobbies etc. But I think there could be new things tackled by the developers, regarding these themes, even if they are the same. But they don't do that with TS4 usually. Plus....the BG should include some of these by now...like weather or active careers.

As for the art team, CAS and Build Buy.....it's kind of bad. Like I don't want to plum on anyone, but unlike TS4, The Sims Freeplay always gets the nicest designs for clothes, hair and objects. Comparing the two, it's clear the art team for Freeplay is superb whereas TS4 one...not so much. Freeplay is also very aware of current fashions and furnishings and it has a more grounded/realistic approach that I like. While TS4 on the other hand tends to be more childish and loud with the huge thick objects and crazy color schemes for furniture and clothing....

*img snipped*

*img snipped*

*img snipped*

Look how nice their objects are. They look like they were made by an actual designer. Even the floorings and the ceiling wood is amazing. And look how the boutique's check out counter thingy, has a credit card machine, that's so realistic though! And in TS4 we have the tablet check outs that almost no one even uses irl..... I can't even imagine how annoying it would be when the employer to just goes up to you with a tablet asking for your payment credentials irl lol

The world design team for TS4 though does an amazing job, especially as of late. Windenburg, Sulani, Forgotten Hollow even, they all look amazing.

Ugh, I miss having high quality meshes/textures a lot. Even with this art style, meshes with more polys can 100% work (as could snow depth :expressionless: ) The big-blockyness is something I hope disappears with TS5.

But anyway, high quality textures/meshes increase the feeling of progression with our Sims. I think in TS4's case, it's the fact they chose such a big, blocky art-style with some objects and their own decisions to make everything modern, modern, modern that takes that progression feeling away.

Here is a couch that is one of the cheapest you can get for your Sims in TS4. A couch that looks modern and one that you'd put in your own home should not be this cheap, if we are talking about playing The Sims as a game and progressing from nothing to spoils/riches. There really is nothing that looks cheapy/dingy, as there should be.

Psnetgu.png

And then here is The Sims 2, which has a lot of cheaper couches that actually look cheap, too. Here are just 3.

wFkFv1F.jpg

Going from poor to rich in The Sims is a huge part of the game. The developers really need to emphasize that in live mode, and flesh out that journey. They were on the right track with City Living's pipe leakages, rat infestations, etc. and then they just gave up there. :neutral:

I wholeheartedly agree. I hate the lack of detail in meshes in TS4, it's just not appealing to me. They don't need to be hyper textured, I'm not expecting or want 4k textures on objects or something, but some more detail would be nice.

And yes the sense of progression is pretty bare when it comes to furniture. The same thing is applied to the toilets and counters/cabinets. The modern ones are the cheaper ones. CL gave us dirty swatch versions for some of the BG meshes, I guess that's something but I still find it weird how some things are priced within the game.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    low (disappointing)
    Ok, when it comes to the producers, it's not that bad. Plus, we are the ones who ask for the same themes from past iterations over and over. They are good themes though, and they pretty much go over the most key aspects of life itself. Vacations, working/opening a business, nightlife, apartment living, pets, seasons, hobbies etc. But I think there could be new things tackled by the developers, regarding these themes, even if they are the same. But they don't do that with TS4 usually. Plus....the BG should include some of these by now...like weather or active careers.

As for the art team, CAS and Build Buy.....it's kind of bad. Like I don't want to plum on anyone, but unlike TS4, The Sims Freeplay always gets the nicest designs for clothes, hair and objects. Comparing the two, it's clear the art team for Freeplay is superb whereas TS4 one...not so much. Freeplay is also very aware of current fashions and furnishings and it has a more grounded/realistic approach that I like. While TS4 on the other hand tends to be more childish and loud with the huge thick objects and crazy color schemes for furniture and clothing....

*img snipped*

*img snipped*

*img snipped*

Look how nice their objects are. They look like they were made by an actual designer. Even the floorings and the ceiling wood is amazing. And look how the boutique's check out counter thingy, has a credit card machine, that's so realistic though! And in TS4 we have the tablet check outs that almost no one even uses irl..... I can't even imagine how annoying it would be when the employer to just goes up to you with a tablet asking for your payment credentials irl lol

The world design team for TS4 though does an amazing job, especially as of late. Windenburg, Sulani, Forgotten Hollow even, they all look amazing.

Ugh, I miss having high quality meshes/textures a lot. Even with this art style, meshes with more polys can 100% work (as could snow depth :expressionless: ) The big-blockyness is something I hope disappears with TS5.

But anyway, high quality textures/meshes increase the feeling of progression with our Sims. I think in TS4's case, it's the fact they chose such a big, blocky art-style with some objects and their own decisions to make everything modern, modern, modern that takes that progression feeling away.

Here is a couch that is one of the cheapest you can get for your Sims in TS4. A couch that looks modern and one that you'd put in your own home should not be this cheap, if we are talking about playing The Sims as a game and progressing from nothing to spoils/riches. There really is nothing that looks cheapy/dingy, as there should be.

Psnetgu.png

And then here is The Sims 2, which has a lot of cheaper couches that actually look cheap, too. Here are just 3.

wFkFv1F.jpg

Going from poor to rich in The Sims is a huge part of the game. The developers really need to emphasize that in live mode, and flesh out that journey. They were on the right track with City Living's pipe leakages, rat infestations, etc. and then they just gave up there. :neutral:

I wholeheartedly agree. I hate the lack of detail in meshes in TS4, it's just not appealing to me. They don't need to be hyper textured, I'm not expecting or want 4k textures on objects or something, but some more detail would be nice.

And yes the sense of progression is pretty bare when it comes to furniture. The same thing is applied to the toilets and counters/cabinets. The modern ones are the cheaper ones. CL gave us dirty swatch versions for some of the BG meshes, I guess that's something but I still find it weird how some things are priced within the game.
    This, plus that the sofa seems to be made from the very same material as the stove and the cabinets.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2019
    low (disappointing)
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Why do they hold the lot trait which produces the rat holes etc. hostage? That's so rpg-ish thinking. Sandbox thinking would allow any player to use that lot trait anywhere. But it's a locked lot trait and can only be used in certain apartments and we can't use the trait unless there is a cheat for it (which there wasn't even a cheat) to use it anywhere else. That's one third of the problem of TS4. Developers dicate to us where, when and how to play. In older games there would have least have been an easy cheat to use the lot trait anywhere. They really don't understand sandbox at all. Tell your own stories is a joke.

I can't, If want to build a poor shack with boarded up windows and dingy wallpaper, and ripped furniture because the bugs and rats are eating away at the foundation, the wallpaper, the furniture. And the only place I can half tell a story like that in my story thread is in one or two apartments in a city I don't want to make my Sims live there. Sandbox equals tell that story anywhere with the tools we have supplied but they hold all that hostage, it's their marbles and if we don't like it we can go home.

ETA: Imagination: Build a hidden world, but don't allow players to build there, and or live there, or to change anything. And very little else to do there than look at scenery. A waste of money. And no imagination at all.

Unedibile lots: Don't touch it, it's ours and we are so proud of our lot building capibilities we can't allow a player to destory it. It does't matter they may want something else in it's place nor like our non edibile lot. We rule, you pay and play our RPG game. (Might as well be a server world).

I agree as they took an lot out of Sims 4 and some are saying "Well I do not want the same things in this version" in an way some of the stuff is exactly the same as the stuff in the old versions, Some features are essential to the newest version as well as the old and look at other franchises that incorporate old with new. An chair is an chair and one cannot chamge that and it appears in all versions, the only difference is how it looks. The game got cut ndown and they put in some passive features which for me are meh and in some cases out of wack and that supposed to be cream of the crop, I have to laugh and say where are the real features. Sadly Sims 4 future is already written and EA/Maxis is going to follow it to whatever end it will have. I will never remember anything postive about Sims 4 except the controversy surrounding it.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2019
    low (disappointing)
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

*img snipped*

*img snipped*

*img snipped*

Psnetgu.png

wFkFv1F.jpg

This, plus that the sofa seems to be made from the very same material as the stove and the cabinets.

Honestly, it’s easy to see that; the couch looks like metal.

It just looks so uncomfortable, compared to even TS2’s cheap couches which look so real, you can mentally put yourself on them and feel how they would feel.

A lot of couches and beds in TS2/TS3 would actually conform to Sims when they sat on them. Pillows would sink when your Sim would put their face down on them. That level of realism/detail is gone, and for a game that “focuses on Sims and lot-based gameplay,” things like that should be a priority. In any Sims game, really, that should hold true too. We should be immersed with them and their world.

It just goes back to the fact this game was rushed and all of that marketing talk was meaningless. How could you try and tell players that Sims never felt emotions and then replace it with one of the worst attempts of an emotion system they’ve ever seen?
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    low (disappointing)
    They are really bad sorry Maxis...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,436 Member
    medium (satisfying but could be improved)
    I think this is a very vague question that different people are going to interpret in different ways. So I'm just going to go with my own.

Creatively speaking, assuming we are talking about strictly the imagination of design and themes, I think they are pretty good about that. Considering we are also talking about the idealistic minds of 200 people being funneled into a design or feature, I think the results in that aspect are just as good as they have been in past games. I'll give examples below of what I'm referring to when I think of "creativity" in Sims 4.

But I also think it's important to distinguish between creativity and mechanical possibility. I say this because I am assuming that development had to utilize a multiplayer game engine that wasn't built for the same kind of gameplay as previous Sims games. No, this is not being apologetic, this is being realistic. If EA did indeed say, "just use the online game, do what you can with it, and we'll release as scheduled," (which is a very popular assumption,) and the devs had a whole lot of limitations and time constraints and challenges to face that were out of their control (and continue to be so as long as they are using the same game engine) then I think it's imperative to realize the difference between what they can creatively do, as opposed to what they can technically do. Since the OP specified creativity, that is what I am particularly referencing. If the OP's poll was for mechanical aspects of the game, my response would be very different.

So here are some examples of where I feel the studio has shown some excellent creativity. I would like to note that not everyone (including myself) necessarily likes all of these features, but that doesn't negate the creative aspect that I see in them.

Pack specific:

~ Vampires: (Of course I'm going to use this first, it's my favorite, haha.) The Vampires pack came from a previously existing small Occult theme that they took and ran away with and pushed the boundaries of, and the result is just amazing. The power tree, the Victorian-based Gothic clothing, the flexibility of Vampire types, the behaviors of the Vampires, and even the wall stickers for creating run-down buildings are all very satisfying. Seriously one of the best things Maxis has done with Sims 4. (<--Totally biased.)

~ Jungle Adventures: The uniqueness of the map in this pack with explorable mystery areas is something completely different. The dangerous insects, the scenery, the culture, and the way it all comes together is as gold as the Temple treasures. Archeology is a unique skill, the RumbaSim dance is gorgeous, and the environment is outstanding. Minus a few points for temple puzzles and traps being too predictable, and the Skeleton state being just a temp buff.

~ StrangerVille: Love it or hate it, this pack is creative. The possession, the story, the unfolding of events, the animation, the weather... all very unique.

~ Parenthood: The Character Values and Parenting system is brilliant. Actually having direct influence on child behavior and how they grow up, and with such an expanded system of detail, has been game changing for a lot of people.

~ Get Together Clubs System: Another game changing feature for many. (If only they'd stay on top of it!) Being able to create a variety of groups of Sims, have them appear at specific lots or venues and exhibit specific behaviors is a brilliant way to give players the freedom to affect the social aspect of their worlds. And also...Windenburg. 'Nuff said.

~ Get To Work Aliens and Science career: I specifically chose the Science career because I personally feel that it is very interesting to play. From the unlockable inventions to the fun CAS outfits to the portal access to Sixam, I've had a lot of fun and fascination with this career. And as for the Aliens, they are the first version in the entire Sims series that actually made me love them. Being able to create them in CAS, the glowing outfits, the CAS selections and the disguises and powers...they are always welcome in my game. I would have liked to see more from them though because I think the devs were on a good creative roll. Unfortunately, the careers in this pack are constantly buggy.

~ Get Famous Acting Career: It's just awesomely done. And even though the work system itself isn't new, the intricacies and details of this career (including Agents and Auditions) are so believable and unique and actually feel much different how they play out from other careers. Plus, the huge eclectic selection of costumes that can be unlocked went above and beyond my expectations. I'd give props to the Fame and Reputation system, but I haven't explored them to capacity yet and technically speaking, they don't really feel like "new" systems. Plus, Fame is a little too invasive for my tastes so that kind of neutralizes it for me. But I'd say it's still creative.

~ Cats and Dogs: I know that there's a lot of argument regarding this pack, but I've said it before and I'll keep saying it - the Cats are incredibly well done in this pack. I find their behaviors to be a great balance of believable and quirky and for the first time, it feels like they have actually received as much attention as Dogs so that they differ in behavior and gameplay. The creativity here lies in those little feline behaviors like turning circles before lying down, jumping up on high surfaces, getting up in places they're not supposed to be, hiding under furniture...so many nuances. I have lived with cats all my life and I find these cats to be the most believable they've ever been. The CAS in this pack is solid with a plethora of breeds. Brindleton Bay is a spot-on representation of New England with its own atmosphere and nice touches. Veterinarian is a career we've never had before. For a rehashed concept, I think that, creatively, they did very well. Minus a bunch of points for rampant pet illness everywhere. It's absurd, invasive, and extremely annoying. Not a good creative choice.

~ Seasons weather and effects and Holidays: The fact that the weather is unique to each world to create actual climates in and of itself deserves recognition. This is a completely new spin on the same ol' seasons. The weather effects are gorgeous and varying and executed well. Customizing our own Holidays is a great and new thing, also creative. I personally can't stand that there is no way to just ignore the holiday without the sad buff. I don't want my play interrupted every time to cater to a checklist, even if I made that holiday checklist.

~ Island Living Mermaids and Culture: Despite this pack feeling small, I still think that it has some really good creative elements. For the most part, Mermaids are quite interesting and there is enough customization and gameplay options to make them good or malicious, beautiful or horrifying. The cultural aspect of the Islands with Ancestors, Festivals and general behaviors is certainly present. The actual water activities leave more to be desired, unfortunately. But the things that are there are decent. Conservationist is also a very new and creative element to a pack like this, giving it some additional flavor.

~ Base Game:

CAS: push/pull adjustments, body sliders, walk styles, voice adjustments, gender adjustments, masculine/feminine toggles, categories, and the huge selection of diverse and cultural hair, clothing, and skin tones.

Other creatively implemented features include "the new, improved toddlers" (I actually enjoy them for the first time,) especially the way they see things differently with more imagination, first person camera mode, a variety of build mode adjustments for ease of use like setting down whole rooms, copying, wall sizes, wall shapes, etc. Multitasking (yep, I went there) so that Sims can skill more than one thing at a time... if only it didn't seem to constantly disrupt gameplay and fight the player's direction. The Manage Worlds feature where we can edit and delete Sims from map view. The Gallery and the ease of being able to pull a Sim or lot out of it and place in game. Brilliant idea. Also, the world environments (backdrops) and art style is creative. (Again, whether you like or dislike is subjective, but they are definitely creative.) For me, the neighborhoods and environments stand out more dimensionally because of the surrounding details.

~ Other creative details from Stuff Packs:

The Void Critters gaming rig and collectible cards from Kids Room Stuff is one of the best SP features they've come up with. I love the Void Critters and wish they'd do more with them. I'd like to see them be a more recurring theme.

The Wishing Well from Romantic Garden. Frakking awesome.

The Ice Cream thing from Cool Kitchen because of the various effects that the flavors can have on Sims.

The implementation of Laundry and the intricate system, with the inclusion of the wash tub and hanging line.

The Spooky Stuff activities and costumes. Before there was Seasons, there was still Halloween. (Also speaking from personal bias.)

And...I hate to say it... but the Rabid Rodent Fever in My First Pet Stuff. It's contagious, it's a little disgusting, and it's ridiculous all at once.

So, yeah, I feel that there has been a hefty amount of creativity with the Sims 4. The reason I didn't give it top marks though, is because those creative ideas aren't always implemented in the best way, and sometimes they don't seem to be thought through or tested enough so the features end up with mixed results. The ideas are there. But a little more care in how those ideas are woven in could make a significant positive difference.
    #Team Occult
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2019
    low (disappointing)
    LiELF wrote: »
    So, yeah, I feel that there has been a hefty amount of creativity with the Sims 4. The reason I didn't give it top marks though, is because those creative ideas aren't always implemented in the best way, and sometimes they don't seem to be thought through or tested enough so the features end up with mixed results. The ideas are there. But a little more care in how those ideas are woven in could make a significant positive difference.

I agree a lot with this paragraph of your post. Maxis has great ideas, but terrible execution.

For instance, I love San Myshuno. An almost-futuristic world inspired by San Francisco and Asian culture is exactly what I wanted from the city after watching Big Hero 6 and seeing how beautiful that world and idea was. But in reality, the world was a massive disappointment, implemented horribly. I felt like I was looking at a beautiful city, but was claustrophobic in little pockets of it that left me craving more. Two neighborhoods were essentially ghost towns that were elevated platforms in the sky. In those little pockets of the city, barely anything goes on.

Sulani, too. I always wanted a Hawaii-themed world in The Sims, but again, TS4 did not do it justice. There is little to no culture/backstory to explore, no interesting interactive caves or secrets to explore (minus the rabbithole mermaid one), and it feels too cramped.

And Del Sol Valley. It should've been a big world with beautiful beaches, houses of all types of residential values, tons of commercial buildings, busting with people, etc. Instead, it was one of the smallest expansion worlds I think we've ever gotten.

I just feel The Sims 4's base game is too limited to really give us the content it should. Worlds should be far more interesting, complex, and detailed than they are now. I'd like to be as immersed in TS4's worlds as I am, say, Los Santos, from GTA V. It's so well-designed that you actually feel like you're there.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    low (disappointing)
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

*img snipped*

*img snipped*

*img snipped*

Psnetgu.png

wFkFv1F.jpg

Honestly, it’s easy to see that; the couch looks like metal.

It just looks so uncomfortable,
    compared to even TS2’s cheap couches which look so real, you can mentally put yourself on them and feel how they would feel.

A lot of couches and beds in TS2/TS3 would actually conform to Sims when they sat on them. Pillows would sink when your Sim would put their face down on them. That level of realism/detail is gone, and for a game that “focuses on Sims and lot-based gameplay,” things like that should be a priority. In any Sims game, really, that should hold true too. We should be immersed with them and their world.

It just goes back to the fact this game was rushed and all of that marketing talk was meaningless. How could you try and tell players that Sims never felt emotions and then replace it with one of the worst attempts of an emotion system they’ve ever seen?

It's probably why it's so cheap ahahaha I actually think the same way. Those cushions look like they don't have any padding on them lol. They look like white boards lmao.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,142 Member
    edited August 2019
    I think the occults should not be a priority, just it's a bonus.

The Sims is a life simulator but there are so many details of the everyday life which are missing these 20 last years.
    Without counting the banned things due to the Teen rated, they can't smoke for example.

The children have no social life with the other kids, their hobbies are limited to play video game, watch TV or play alone.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2019
    low (disappointing)
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Why do they hold the lot trait which produces the rat holes etc. hostage? That's so rpg-ish thinking. Sandbox thinking would allow any player to use that lot trait anywhere. But it's a locked lot trait and can only be used in certain apartments and we can't use the trait unless there is a cheat for it (which there wasn't even a cheat) to use it anywhere else. That's one third of the problem of TS4. Developers dicate to us where, when and how to play. In older games there would have least have been an easy cheat to use the lot trait anywhere. They really don't understand sandbox at all. Tell your own stories is a joke.

I can't, If want to build a poor shack with boarded up windows and dingy wallpaper, and ripped furniture because the bugs and rats are eating away at the foundation, the wallpaper, the furniture. And the only place I can half tell a story like that in my story thread is in one or two apartments in a city I don't want to make my Sims live there. Sandbox equals tell that story anywhere with the tools we have supplied but they hold all that hostage, it's their marbles and if we don't like it we can go home.

ETA: Imagination: Build a hidden world, but don't allow players to build there, and or live there, or to change anything. And very little else to do there than look at scenery. A waste of money. And no imagination at all.

Unedibile lots: Don't touch it, it's ours and we are so proud of our lot building capibilities we can't allow a player to destory it. It does't matter they may want something else in it's place nor like our non edibile lot. We rule, you pay and play our RPG game. (Might as well be a server world).

I agree as they took an lot out of Sims 4 and some are saying "Well I do not want the same things in this version" in an way some of the stuff is exactly the same as the stuff in the old versions, Some features are essential to the newest version as well as the old and look at other franchises that incorporate old with new. An chair is an chair and one cannot chamge that and it appears in all versions, the only difference is how it looks. The game got cut ndown and they put in some passive features which for me are meh and in some cases out of wack and that supposed to be cream of the crop, I have to laugh and say where are the real features. Sadly Sims 4 future is already written and EA/Maxis is going to follow it to whatever end it will have. I will never remember anything postive about Sims 4 except the controversy surrounding it.

You know (what I bolded) isn't really true when people say that. lol Or they wouldn't mind the hammer tool (created in TS2 and past on to each version) gone missing in TS4. Nor would they mind the Undo button gone missing, nor save room/blueprints from TS3 gone missing, nor the bars gone missing, nor the family play gone missing, nor the raising or lowering of objects on walls gone missing (from TS2), nor the Seasons pack never being added, nor the pets pack never added, nor never any other life states never being added and so many, many UI features and things TS1 didn't have that were added in TS2 and carried forward until today in TS4.

And we all know they want spiral stairs (TS1) and other shapes, L shaped (TS3) in TS4, so when people say they don't want the same old things that is not the truth. lol They also want the same roof tops from TS2 and TS3 not in TS4, and I would think they would all be upset if something like a hammer tool to delete things easily was not in TS4, so they dog doesn't hunt anymore when they say it. ETA: And suprisingly they want story progression in TS4 though they claim to hate it in TS3. So, sorry but they do want most of what is in past games. And we know how upset they would be if gardening (TS2) was removed or never added and or collecting (TS3).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 782 Member
    Hopefully,the "EA Rules,EA creates,EA plays" mindset will disappear for good with Sims 5. I'm just fed up with locked lot traits and silly,useless FX buildings! I can't have festivals or apartments in worlds outside of San Myshuno....I can't customize or control the festivals..lot traits should not even be locked in the first place..most of the worlds are skimpy and half-baked....even Sims 1 had more lots in each world. And the silly,pointless lot checklists and totally useless generic lots? Seriously,EA?

And the way Sims eat in S4? They take about 15 minutes to eat,unlike the other games,which the Sims only took 1-5 seconds to eat. Wow,EA..just...wow.

Then there's the ridiculous RPG element in TS4...come on,EA-since when did Sims 4 turn into a Final Fantasy wanna-be? I can't wait for EA to pull the plug on S4 and give us S5. Then I can really enjoy Sims again.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
    low (disappointing)
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

You know (what I bolded) isn't really true when people say that. lol Or they wouldn't mind the hammer tool (created in TS2 and past on to each version) gone missing in TS4. Nor would they mind the Undo button gone missing, nor save room/blueprints from TS3 gone missing, nor the bars gone missing, nor the family play gone missing, nor the raising or lowering of objects on walls gone missing (from TS2), nor the Seasons pack never being added, nor the pets pack never added, nor never any other life states never being added and so many, many UI features and things TS1 didn't have that were added in TS2 and carried forward until today in TS4.

And we all know they want spiral stairs (TS1) and other shapes, L shaped (TS3) in TS4, so when people say they don't want the same old things that is not the truth. lol They also want the same roof tops from TS2 and TS3 not in TS4, and I would think they would all be upset if something like a hammer tool to delete things easily was not in TS4, so they dog doesn't hunt anymore when they say it. ETA: And suprisingly they want story progression in TS4 though they claim to hate it in TS3. So, sorry but they do want most of what is in past games. And we know how upset they would be if gardening (TS2) was removed or never added and or collecting (TS3).

So true :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • JediMuppetJediMuppet Posts: 98 Member
    I really love the art style and I love the aesthetics of the worlds but I would like more depths to my Sims. More choice and unexpected and unpredictable scenarios
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    low (disappointing)
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think this is a very vague question that different people are going to interpret in different ways. So I'm just going to go with my own.

Creatively speaking, assuming we are talking about strictly the imagination of design and themes, I think they are pretty good about that. Considering we are also talking about the idealistic minds of 200 people being funneled into a design or feature, I think the results in that aspect are just as good as they have been in past games. I'll give examples below of what I'm referring to when I think of "creativity" in Sims 4.

But I also think it's important to distinguish between creativity and mechanical possibility. I say this because I am assuming that development had to utilize a multiplayer game engine that wasn't built for the same kind of gameplay as previous Sims games. No, this is not being apologetic, this is being realistic. If EA did indeed say, "just use the online game, do what you can with it, and we'll release as scheduled," (which is a very popular assumption,) and the devs had a whole lot of limitations and time constraints and challenges to face that were out of their control (and continue to be so as long as they are using the same game engine) then I think it's imperative to realize the difference between what they can creatively do, as opposed to what they can technically do. Since the OP specified creativity, that is what I am particularly referencing. If the OP's poll was for mechanical aspects of the game, my response would be very different.

So here are some examples of where I feel the studio has shown some excellent creativity. I would like to note that not everyone (including myself) necessarily likes all of these features, but that doesn't negate the creative aspect that I see in them.

Pack specific:

~ Vampires: (Of course I'm going to use this first, it's my favorite, haha.) The Vampires pack came from a previously existing small Occult theme that they took and ran away with and pushed the boundaries of, and the result is just amazing. The power tree, the Victorian-based Gothic clothing, the flexibility of Vampire types, the behaviors of the Vampires, and even the wall stickers for creating run-down buildings are all very satisfying. Seriously one of the best things Maxis has done with Sims 4. (<--Totally biased.)

~ Jungle Adventures: The uniqueness of the map in this pack with explorable mystery areas is something completely different. The dangerous insects, the scenery, the culture, and the way it all comes together is as gold as the Temple treasures. Archeology is a unique skill, the RumbaSim dance is gorgeous, and the environment is outstanding. Minus a few points for temple puzzles and traps being too predictable, and the Skeleton state being just a temp buff.

~ StrangerVille: Love it or hate it, this pack is creative. The possession, the story, the unfolding of events, the animation, the weather... all very unique.

~ Parenthood: The Character Values and Parenting system is brilliant. Actually having direct influence on child behavior and how they grow up, and with such an expanded system of detail, has been game changing for a lot of people.

~ Get Together Clubs System: Another game changing feature for many. (If only they'd stay on top of it!) Being able to create a variety of groups of Sims, have them appear at specific lots or venues and exhibit specific behaviors is a brilliant way to give players the freedom to affect the social aspect of their worlds. And also...Windenburg. 'Nuff said.

~ Get To Work Aliens and Science career: I specifically chose the Science career because I personally feel that it is very interesting to play. From the unlockable inventions to the fun CAS outfits to the portal access to Sixam, I've had a lot of fun and fascination with this career. And as for the Aliens, they are the first version in the entire Sims series that actually made me love them. Being able to create them in CAS, the glowing outfits, the CAS selections and the disguises and powers...they are always welcome in my game. I would have liked to see more from them though because I think the devs were on a good creative roll. Unfortunately, the careers in this pack are constantly buggy.

~ Get Famous Acting Career: It's just awesomely done. And even though the work system itself isn't new, the intricacies and details of this career (including Agents and Auditions) are so believable and unique and actually feel much different how they play out from other careers. Plus, the huge eclectic selection of costumes that can be unlocked went above and beyond my expectations. I'd give props to the Fame and Reputation system, but I haven't explored them to capacity yet and technically speaking, they don't really feel like "new" systems. Plus, Fame is a little too invasive for my tastes so that kind of neutralizes it for me. But I'd say it's still creative.

~ Cats and Dogs: I know that there's a lot of argument regarding this pack, but I've said it before and I'll keep saying it - the Cats are incredibly well done in this pack. I find their behaviors to be a great balance of believable and quirky and for the first time, it feels like they have actually received as much attention as Dogs so that they differ in behavior and gameplay. The creativity here lies in those little feline behaviors like turning circles before lying down, jumping up on high surfaces, getting up in places they're not supposed to be, hiding under furniture...so many nuances. I have lived with cats all my life and I find these cats to be the most believable they've ever been. The CAS in this pack is solid with a plethora of breeds. Brindleton Bay is a spot-on representation of New England with its own atmosphere and nice touches. Veterinarian is a career we've never had before. For a rehashed concept, I think that, creatively, they did very well. Minus a bunch of points for rampant pet illness everywhere. It's absurd, invasive, and extremely annoying. Not a good creative choice.

~ Seasons weather and effects and Holidays: The fact that the weather is unique to each world to create actual climates in and of itself deserves recognition. This is a completely new spin on the same ol' seasons. The weather effects are gorgeous and varying and executed well. Customizing our own Holidays is a great and new thing, also creative. I personally can't stand that there is no way to just ignore the holiday without the sad buff. I don't want my play interrupted every time to cater to a checklist, even if I made that holiday checklist.

~ Island Living Mermaids and Culture: Despite this pack feeling small, I still think that it has some really good creative elements. For the most part, Mermaids are quite interesting and there is enough customization and gameplay options to make them good or malicious, beautiful or horrifying. The cultural aspect of the Islands with Ancestors, Festivals and general behaviors is certainly present. The actual water activities leave more to be desired, unfortunately. But the things that are there are decent. Conservationist is also a very new and creative element to a pack like this, giving it some additional flavor.

~ Base Game:

CAS: push/pull adjustments, body sliders, walk styles, voice adjustments, gender adjustments, masculine/feminine toggles, categories, and the huge selection of diverse and cultural hair, clothing, and skin tones.

Other creatively implemented features include "the new, improved toddlers" (I actually enjoy them for the first time,) especially the way they see things differently with more imagination, first person camera mode, a variety of build mode adjustments for ease of use like setting down whole rooms, copying, wall sizes, wall shapes, etc. Multitasking (yep, I went there) so that Sims can skill more than one thing at a time... if only it didn't seem to constantly disrupt gameplay and fight the player's direction. The Manage Worlds feature where we can edit and delete Sims from map view. The Gallery and the ease of being able to pull a Sim or lot out of it and place in game. Brilliant idea. Also, the world environments (backdrops) and art style is creative. (Again, whether you like or dislike is subjective, but they are definitely creative.) For me, the neighborhoods and environments stand out more dimensionally because of the surrounding details.

~ Other creative details from Stuff Packs:

The Void Critters gaming rig and collectible cards from Kids Room Stuff is one of the best SP features they've come up with. I love the Void Critters and wish they'd do more with them. I'd like to see them be a more recurring theme.

The Wishing Well from Romantic Garden. Frakking awesome.

The Ice Cream thing from Cool Kitchen because of the various effects that the flavors can have on Sims.

The implementation of Laundry and the intricate system, with the inclusion of the wash tub and hanging line.

The Spooky Stuff activities and costumes. Before there was Seasons, there was still Halloween. (Also speaking from personal bias.)

And...I hate to say it... but the Rabid Rodent Fever in My First Pet Stuff. It's contagious, it's a little disgusting, and it's ridiculous all at once.

Thanks for this comment. Love that you share a full length explanation on it. Kinda makes want to try those packs if not for the things I despise :smiley:
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    @LiELF what a terrific comment! I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the various packs.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Their creativity is fine, but content is delivered unpolished and that's never a good look.

And they need to hire animators, but ever since Jungle Adventure and everyone gushing about the frankly out of place and over exaggerated dance, I've lost hope. That dance was not made with the sims 4 skeleton and I'm astonished someone let that slide.
    Still fuming about the lounge chairs lack of animations. Just hire someone please.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    low (disappointing)
    I thought we could fill in the blank to the title, "The Sims Studio creativity is....." My answer would have been: "non-existent" or "out of touch".

I hope they don't hire those people for TS5.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,142 Member
    edited August 2019

One thing about the aliens, they lost all the things they were able to do in The Sims 3 to end almost like The Sims 2, I mean the gameplay is extremely limited.

low (disappointing)

One thing about the aliens, they lost all the things they were able to do in The Sims 3 to end almost like The Sims 2, I mean the gameplay is extremely limited.

They've even lost some of their ablitites since being added to TS4. With each and every patch. They don't even go around in disguise anymore, so what is the point now? And some of their powers are bugged even if they were limited. So, yeah, they are almost exactly like TS2 (a skin) now after five years they have become worthless.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited August 2019
    low (disappointing)
    Not only the objects are a problem. The amount of recycled interactions/animations/clothes & recipes tells a lot.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    edited August 2019
    low (disappointing)
    Not only the objects are a problem. The amount of recycled interactions/animations/clothes & recipes tells a lot.

Has anyone (who isn't a game changer) asked Maxis why they took things in packs and patched them into the base for free instead of giving the base a new mesh for a different clothing and or a new object instead of one that was in a pack? Has anyone asked them at all why the fountain animation is the same as the waterfall animation for romance? It reminds me of that TV show on HGTV years ago, Design on a Dime, cheap and reused and when they painted stuff if the camera got too close you could see the paint brush marks and it was just sloppy and half done(time limits) it 'looked' cute but gawd it needed cleaned up and more effort. (And for the $1000 people paid to get a room redecorated I would have wanted my money back, I could do better than that). lol
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited August 2019

*img snipped*

*img snipped*

*img snipped*

Psnetgu.png

And then here is The Sims 2, which has a lot of cheaper couches that actually look cheap, too. Here are just 4.

wFkFv1F.jpg

This is exactly one of the reasons why The Sims 2 is still my most favorite Sim game from the rest. With the snuggling of couples in the bed during sleep, couches/chairs/etc. looks like they are pressed on when being sat and a lot of other great little details.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
    low (disappointing)
    Hestia wrote: »

*img snipped*

*img snipped*

*img snipped*

Psnetgu.png

And then here is The Sims 2, which has a lot of cheaper couches that actually look cheap, too. Here are just 4.

wFkFv1F.jpg

This is exactly one of the reasons why The Sims 2 is still my most favorite Sim game from the rest. With the snuggling of couples in the bed during sleep, couches/chairs/etc. looks like they are pressed on when being sat and a lot of other great little details.

O h yeah I do remember that and it showed closeness where in Sims 3 or 4 they might have well slept in twin beds.