Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 would be great in VR

nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
edited July 2019 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I believe Sims 4 would be great for VR.

Immediately you're thinking that a 1st person Sims game is terrible, and I full heartedly agree. I think we still presume that VR is equal to 1st person games. But that presumption limits VR's immersive capability.

Already there are 3rd person games in VR such as Lucky's Tale, Edge of Nowhere, and Moss. I was one of the naysayers, believing that 3rd person games is still best played and experienced on a flat monitor.

Wow, was I wrong.

Playing a 3rd person game in VR is like stepping in a scene of a TV show you would normally watch on a screen. Or, simply put, it feels like being god watching over his subject.

And that's why Sims 4 is perfect for VR: a god game with the point of view of god. Imagine being a loving god that gives their Sims the best of the world. Or an evil god that just tortures their Sims with mazes and hundreds of babies. Right now, VR needs more diverse genres, and a life simulator is currently unserved.

You may think that VR is only comprised of hardcore gamers because of the headset cost. But there are headsets right now that won't break the bank. Windows Mixed Reality headsets provide a good VR experience, with headsets costing $150 to $400. Playstation VR has theirs at $350 with free games. Oculus recently released their new line of headsets, both costing $400 (one of them doesn't need a PC).

Some say VR is a fad, that it comes and goes. But 2019, I feel, is the start of VR's golden age. Valve recently released their top of the line headset called "Index", and HTC will have a new headset called "Cosmos" coming later this year. Companies are investing in VR and nurturing its growth. (https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/20/vr-fund-virtual-reality-ecosystem-has-more-than-550-companies/)

And EA looks like one of those companies backing it, too. If that's the case, I propose that Sims 4 should be one of the games with "VR enabled" capabilities. This means you can play Sims 4 with or without a VR headset, something like Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky, and Tetris Effect.

That's my take on it. I love Sims and I fell in love with VR along the way. A marriage between these two would probably keep me plugged in the metaverse.

And since I'm a nutter, here's how I envision the controls will be for Sims 4 "VR enabled."

LIVE MODE

UI will be on your left hand and can be viewed by turning your hand as if you are checking the time on your watch.

Left Grab - Grab map and pull to move across lot

Right Grab - Grab and drop movable objects

Left + Right Grab - Stretch to zoom in, or pinch to zoom out

Trigger - Select sim, interact with object or sim, interact with UI

Left + Right Trigger - Raise camera up or down

Thumbstick Press (Left Controller) - Center on lot

Thumbstick Up (Left Controller) - Go up one floor

Thumbstick Down (Left Controller) - Go down one floor

Thumbstick Left (Left Controller) - Wall down

Thumbstick Right (Left Controller) - Wall up

A Button - Toggle Map

B Button - Toggle Modes (Live Mode, Buy/Build Mode)

Thumbstick Press (Right Controller) - Center on active sim

Thumbstick Up (Right Controller) - Pause

Thumbstick Right (Right Controller) - Speed 1

Thumbstick Down (Right Controller) - Speed 2

Thumbstick Left (Right Controller) - Speed 3

X Button - Camera Mode

Y Button - First-Person Mode

BUILD/BUY MODE

UI will be on your left hand and can be viewed by turning your hand as if you are checking the time on your watch. The UI will be large, so that you can pick and choose objects like how a painter uses a palette.

Left Grab - Grab map and pull to move across lot

Right Grab - Grab and drop movable objects

Left + Right Grab - Stretch to zoom in, or pinch to zoom out

Trigger - Draw walls, terrain, wallpaper

Left + Right Trigger - Raise camera up or down

Thumbstick Press (Left Controller) - Center on lot

Thumbstick Up (Left Controller) - Go up one floor

Thumbstick Down (Left Controller) - Go down one floor

Thumbstick Left (Left Controller) - Wall down

Thumbstick Right (Left Controller) - Wall up

A Button - Toggle Map

B Button - Toggle Modes (Live Mode, Buy/Build Mode)

Thumbstick Press (Right Controller) - Toggle Grid view

Thumbstick Up (Right Controller) - Design Tool

Thumbstick Down (Right Controller) - Sledgehammer

Thumbstick Left (Right Controller) - Rotate object left, decrease brush size (build mode)

Thumbstick Right (Right Controller) - Rotate object right, increase brush size (build mode)

X Button - Camera Mode

Y Button - Cycle day and night
TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Not for me. VR makes my head hurt.
  • Options
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Not for me. VR makes my head hurt.

I hope the newer headsets fix that. Have you tried newer headsets? I got my Rift S two months ago and love it to death. I go back and forth between VR and Sims, so that's why I'd like to see a "VR enabled" feature for TS4.
  • Options
    They just announced No Man's Sky VR update for August 14th. This one is a free update rather than a separate program that runs VR. I think there is potential for integrating VR into TS4 (come on! there's 1st person view already implemented).
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Please no. I'm nauseous just thinking about it.
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    With the amount of clipping and strange movements that Sims do, that’s a no from me.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    For TS4? no.
    Maybe by TS7
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    I hope sims NEVER goes to VR since I get nauseous just dealing with HP 7 movies or some of the IMAX movies. It's why I never go to 3D movies and prefer "normal" video
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    nastyjman wrote: »
    They just announced No Man's Sky VR update for August 14th. This one is a free update rather than a separate program that runs VR. I think there is potential for integrating VR into TS4 (come on! there's 1st person view already implemented).

As long as this is only an option that you can toggle on and off, I say "Why not?" I've always wanted to see things from my sim's point of view. I want to get into a fight with some sim, slap them and see what happens in the "fight cloud" for myself, lol!
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'd like to try it and an Oculus download is already available on my laptop if I want it. I'd want the option to turn it off if I can't take it visually though. I'd love to go swimming or diving underwater with my Sims or be able to pat and play with the pets.

What screen size would it be best in? I'm just getting used to a 43" but the bigger the better I suppose. It might help getting me to exercise in front of the TV as a Sim!
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I'd like to clarify that TS4 VR won't be 1st person only. It will be 3rd person primarily, so it will feel like you're hovering over their homes and their lives like a god.
  • Options
    So No Man's Sky just released their VR patch. Basically it adds a "VR Mode" on the original game, and it's been a blast! I'm loving how, despite all the technology you have, you still create a wooden shack as a home.

Anyway, if Hello Games can implement "VR Mode" as a patch, then EA could as well with The Sims 4.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Maybe in the very long run it would be a good idea. The Sims 10 perhaps. I’m really not confident with their creative assets right now throughout this 5 year phase.

As of now, the Sims Studio needs to get their heads together on how to flesh out The Sims 4’s content.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    They have teams, so one team can work on VR implementation while the other can work on content. If VR slowly becomes mainstream, I feel The Sims 4 can benefit immensely.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    wrong not for me and this is a terrible idea would not went to play it
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    There are no terrible ideas (well maybe the Moschino stuff or Katy Perry stuff).
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    It might be a waste of assets right now. In the far future of a distant Sims sequel, possibly but that is a stretch.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    One of the reasons why I'd like to see Sims 4 in VR is touring the places simmers had created. Just imagine doing this in TS4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpjhsOneeQQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YH8gwLjgUQ

I'm imagining (if they decide to do VR) that Build and Buy Mode can be done in Bird's-Eye-View or First-Person-View.

If you think about it, this would be great for budding architects and interior designers.
  • Options
    @nastyjman According to his video he cannot see this coming within the next 5 years, more 10 so we don't have to worry much yet. Pity. In Sims 4 they'd have to put in the ceilings we want for realism.
  • Options
    @Simburian The vid was made on Mar 2018, but current trends are pointing towards VR going mainstream sooner than later.

Oculus had just released two new headsets not long ago: the Rift S and Quest, the former is PCVR and the latter a standalone headset (meaning no PC required).

Valve had also released their high-end headset called the Index. Also, later this year HTC is releasing their new headset called Cosmos.

And Playstation seems to be sticking with PSVR2. I find it to be the gateway to PCVR at least, so the trend is there. Also, a recent survey shows that developers are investing on VR: https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/20/vr-fund-virtual-reality-ecosystem-has-more-than-550-companies/
  • Options
    @nastyjman I've got the option to use Oculus Rift as it is offered as download for my laptop with an NVidia 1060 card so would be willing to try it. Only if I could sit down and not move about though!
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    @Simburian There are games that are seated experiences. I have Lucky's Tale, which is a 3rd person platformer. But currently, the best one is Moss (also available in Oculus, which I still have to play):

https://youtu.be/eC3typSPxJ4
  • Options
    Also, there are some mods and external programs that can be used to get Sims 4 VR working. But what I propose is that it's implemented natively in the game. Would be really awesome if it happens in TS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlj6e2kJNXA
  • Options
    @nastyjman I loved Quill in that Moss review. It looks a nice little game. I once had 20 or so hamsters so am very fond of tiny pets!
    VR in Sims 4 has a bit of a way to go yet I think. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    That first-person POV tease @ 0:25 in the trailer! Now I really want to experience TS4 in VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L09ld07hEVc

EDIT: The trailer for Island Living didn't have a first-person POV shot. I may be reaching, but could this be a hint? Ah. I can dream, can I?
  • Options
    Eurostar1127Eurostar1127 Posts: 84 Member
    VR for Sims sounds great, but...... VR is fantastic for Flight Sims, as I have Aerofly2 on the Oculus Rift. It is also good for driving games, and driving trains, because you are sitting down. Sims, I think not, as walking in VR makes you feel giddy, and sick.
    Long blond haired slim androgynous looking bi boy from London UK.