Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Say Paralives Is An Actual Game... (Build Mode talk)

Comments

• TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    i've been following this game the moment it was announced. i've always think this is a genuine game.
    y'all got bread?
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Just one remark that dampened my enthousiasm: they want it to be playable for low end computers too. That being a goal doesn’t sound promising to me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I won't be able to afford another game that's pretty much the same as The Sims. I don't even go into build mode that much, and since all they've shown us is Build Mode I have no interest.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    Reserving judgement, but even if it isn't fantastic, I will definitely throw some money their way. Competition has to start somewhere, and while Paralives probably won't be able to compete on S4's level (considering it's an indy game with an indy budget), the profit from Paralives may be used to fund a better sequel, or inspire other devs.

Great production value doesn't necessarily mean a great game anyway. For example, look at Stardew Valley. It's 'only' pixel art, has no voice acting, and is slow updating, but was popular enough to be ported to multiple platforms, and seems commercially successful. I know a few people (myself included) who've enjoyed it more than a lot of AAA games.

Re the art style, it's definitely not as detailed as sims 4 (according to one of the articles, it was mimicking breath of the wind style), but that's okay. I took a 3D animation subject at uni and ugh is that stuff hard and time-consuming. The more realistic/detailed your work, the longer it takes, so I think, considering again that Paralives is an indy title, this particular style suits the game.

It's also one of the reasons the game is able to run on lower-end computers, and I like this decision. The more players Paralives attracts, the better. If Paralives generates a profit, it will prove to other devs/companies/the original dev that there's a viable market for an offline lifesim, even if it isn't as detailed, or high-end as the sims series. Then in the future, we may see some more $$$ sims competitors too.
    Reserving judgement, but even if it isn't fantastic, I will definitely throw some money their way. Competition has to start somewhere, and while Paralives probably won't be able to compete on S4's level (considering it's an indy game with an indy budget), the profit from Paralives may be used to fund a better sequel, or inspire other devs.

Great production value doesn't necessarily mean a great game anyway. For example, look at Stardew Valley. It's 'only' pixel art, has no voice acting, and is slow updating, but was popular enough to be ported to multiple platforms, and seems commercially successful. I know a few people (myself included) who've enjoyed it more than a lot of AAA games.

Re the art style, it's definitely not as detailed as sims 4 (according to one of the articles, it was mimicking breath of the wind style), but that's okay. I took a 3D animation subject at uni and ugh is that stuff hard and time-consuming. The more realistic/detailed your work, the longer it takes, so I think, considering again that Paralives is an indy title, this particular style suits the game.

It's also one of the reasons the game is able to run on lower-end computers, and I like this decision. The more players Paralives attracts, the better. If Paralives generates a profit, it will prove to other devs/companies/the original dev that there's a viable market for an offline lifesim, even if it isn't as detailed, or high-end as the sims series. Then in the future, we may see some more $$$ sims competitors too.
    If the low end aspect only affects graphics that will be fine for me. As long as it doesn’t effect complexity in gameplay, because that’s what I miss right now.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Mikado-chanMikado-chan Posts: 108 Member
    But will the graphics improve? Because so far they’re not for me
    Probably not much. Here's what the dev said:

"The graphics will stay in the same style because making it realistic would require A LOT of work. Paralives is an indie game so the focus is on the gameplay instead"

and

"The low poly style and simple textures will help produce objects faster since the team will be small."
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I was about to post that the reason The Sims doesn't have curved walls is that it would increase the complexity of routing, which might cause significant lag in the game. And then I remembered we do indeed have curved decks. So I am not really sure why not.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I’m definitely interested. It’s about time The Sims 4 had competition.
    But will the graphics improve? Because so far they’re not for me
    Probably not much. Here's what the dev said:

"The graphics will stay in the same style because making it realistic would require A LOT of work. Paralives is an indie game so the focus is on the gameplay instead"

and

"The low poly style and simple textures will help produce objects faster since the team will be small."
    Well, good. I will love to hear myself say: "Yes, this game actually does look ugly but boy am I enjoying myself." Not hyping, not convinced it will be great. Just curious and interested.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Those graphics are such a turn off, and I don't care about building. They have yet to show off any gameplay footage or even a clear view of what their characters look like.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Some people seem to be really closed-minded...I can understand you want to stick with TS4, you don't want competition and blablabla but I mean the fact is here, a new game is coming, whether it will beat The Sims or not.
    Lu4ERme.gif

And imagine if it does like The Sims. The first iteration didn't have a lot of money to build an amazing game but the second iteration could be taken by another company that sees potential to it and probably we'll give a lot of money for it. Maybe I'm dreaming but it can happen.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Some people seem to be really closed-minded...I can understand you want to stick with TS4, you don't want competition and blablabla but I mean the fact is here, a new game is coming, whether it will beat The Sims or not.

But this is not a fact. This is up for speculation on whether or not this “game” even comes into fruition.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I feel so excited about this, and it’s delightful watching the patreon page grow before our eyes. At this rate it will not take long for Alex to have the funds to hire more people. Even the Game Changers I’ve watched are unapologetically gushing about the features that will be in this game from the very beginning. It’s what TS4 could have and Should Have been. We keep getting the bare minimum from EAxis and the writing is now on the wall. I’m normally a very realistic person, not one to be overly optimistic. Watching the response to this game explode with glee (everywhere besides right here lol) is only going to increase the motivation to make this game possible and we are so ready for it!!
    Chazzzy wrote: »

But this is not a fact. This is up for speculation on whether or not this “game” even comes into fruition.
    Hence the title of this topic: say it is. Let's go from there because that's apparently what the OP likes to discuss.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Curved walls do seem like something that should be possible to implement in TS4 based on curved decking, but I expect the issue stems not from routing (only, at least) but from the ability to place decor and windows/doors on those walls.

Some of the build features Paralives is showing off look neat, but I doubt the team would implement them for TS4 or a TS5. Window stretching, for example, would only work if they had a completely different texture system. I don't see how the way they generally implement textures would work with a window you could stretch to any distance.

At this point I'm 99% sure it is a game. You don't want to believe it, it's your choice, but I believe it. We'll discuss this years later (even tho I surely won't be in forums anymore). Anyway, if this game turns out to be true (wich I know it is), you'll think of me. ^^
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    You wrote: »
    I don’t know why people are so destined to see this game fail, do people not realize that competition is great for games??? Y’all should be hoping it does well.

Yes. Everybody should be happy about this. Because it seems to me there’s two types of people: the type who are loyal to ts4 and the type who are getting sick of it and are looking to give up with ts4 and move on. However it’s a win-win for both since the loyal members of the franchise will get better content because of it yet the non loyal players can move into a new game. I don’t see why there’s so much complaining.

Maybe some people know that The Sims 4 is not as good as they want to believe it is and they are afraid of a competitor.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I won't be able to afford another game that's pretty much the same as The Sims. I don't even go into build mode that much, and since all they've shown us is Build Mode I have no interest.

I get that. I'm not a builder myself. Still pretty exited for The sims to finally have some competition though. Would love to see what this game has to offer as far as live mode gameplay as well. :)
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    BreeNilla wrote: »
    Competition is good, but a company like EA/Maxis isn't going to take Paralives seriously until we see more development.

The build mode's very interesting, I don't think I've seen anything like it. Aside from the curved walls and resizeable windows, I don't think the other features are even possible in TS4 and even those two are a stretch, I think.

Game's still in a super early state. That said, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited to check it out. People are skeptical about how it will deliver, but I believe the developer can do everything he says he can. He's gotten a LOT of support in a short amount of time and that will definitely help the quality of the outcome.

I’m so excited as well :)
  • AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    edited July 2019
    When I watch The Paralive materials I think, that the developers from AE cannot tell: "it's impossible" anymore. That's the profit already! :)

I'm a player, I want play The Sims instead of stare at the landscape only. I don't want to play in "The Adventures of The Lines and Squares" but graphics is on second place for me. If the game will be playable and looks more like Ts2, I'll try it for sure.
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member

At this point I'm 99% sure it is a game. You don't want to believe it, it's your choice, but I believe it. We'll discuss this years later (even tho I surely won't be in forums anymore). Anyway, if this game turns out to be true (wich I know it is), you'll think of me. ^^

Disagree.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I'm cautiously optimistic. The art style isn't great but I'll take great characters and gameplay over that so if it has that and in the details and depth I read is planned then I'm all for it.

I don't think EA and Maxis are going to be worried at all unless they start losing players. Assuming this game comes out and it's decent, builders who don't care about how a game looks but just building might leave or at least divide their time between the two which will affect the players who rely on builders for their houses and community lots.

Also, there's a chance of losing players who don't care about looks but depth. Especially in this day and age where retro is in. It's not a game on par with like old arcade games but it's clearly not ultra realistic either so it's possible if this game is good The Sims could lose ground with some of those newer younger players they've been trying to appeal to. Also some of The Sims older base are feeling alienated so this could draw some of them in as well. If they start losing players from each of those categories then EA and Maxis may start to sweat.

Continuing along this line of thinking, I think it'd be easy to win those players back, if they actually want to and are willing to do what it takes. I don't think Sims players eyeing Paralives necessarily want to abandon The Sims, but there's clearly something that the Sims team is doing or isn't doing that's making players crave a competitor and what they can offer. That feeling has been building for a while now.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Sagittarius_Dreamer4Sagittarius_Dreamer4 Posts: 23 Member
    Im excited but I want to wait and see what more will come out. I know it's still in the early stages but it's refreshing to see some competition.