Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims Victoriana

Welcome to The Sims Victoriana. The year is 1800 something, Queen Victoria is on the throne and the seeds of modern technology have been sown with the invention of the gramophone and the typewriter. This is the tale of thirteen families living in a sleepy English town called Windenburg.

2lwkjzt.jpg

It's currently the first week of winter and our story begins with the Goths, who live in the area of town commonly known as Forgotten Hollow
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

Comments

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Chapter 1
    Cassandra Goth

1st week of winter

Sunday

Good evening. I have resolved to keep a diary every day this week as an exercise in self-discipline. So...to begin. This morning I attended church with my family. We had to go out in the snow but at least it was pretty. Mama and I found the service most interesting but Alexander, my little brother, has a tendency to daydream at church, and Papa was more interested in what was going on in the next row.

29zyn0y.jpg

After church, we I took soup to the deserving poor who live in the Newcrest district. Mama says doing good works builds a person's moral fibre, and I even learned a little bit about cooking, not that I have ever cooked a meal in my life. Papa chose not to come with us, and spent the time chatting to the rest of the gentry, including Mrs Fairley and Sir George Anglesey.

xkr3uw.jpg

This evening, we shared a family dinner prepared by Irwin, our butler.

1267fax.jpg

After dinner I played the piano for a while, then wrote up today's events in my diary. Papa loved my idea. He's a gentleman poet, you see, so he believes that the ability to write well is one of the most valuable skills a person can possess.

scrt78.jpg

2dvsw4.jpg
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    @Mariefoxprice83 What a great start! I like that you’re using the goths.It’s so interesting to see a family you know transported to a different era. I also think it’s cool how you take things you catch in a screenshot and incorporate them into the story, like papa being nosy about what’s going on in the next row. The diary is a great idea for storytelling. This is great!
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
    I'm glad you like it :) I felt that the Goths were ideal for this setting. They are the only premade family I kept but they are living in what used to be Straud's house, but of course in this game it's their ancestral home..
    edited July 2019
    Monday

Today I had lessons with my governess, as I do every day except for Saturday and Sunday. Fortunately I had time to bathe before my lessons began. Alexander has lessons too, with his tutor. Papa spends a lot of his time writing poetry. We don't need the money but Papa says it's lovely that his work is good enough to be published. He has just bought one of those newfangled typewriters and says he no longer gets inky fingers like he used to. The typewriter is locked away in Papa and Mama's bedchamber, because he has forbidden Alexander and myself from touching it. Poor Alexander was so sad when he was not allowed to try it out.

359zj48.jpg

Mama is a lady and spends most of her time visiting the other ladies, and playing hostess when they visit us. She also spends a lot of time walking around the neighbourhood and particularly enjoys visiting the fountain in the square between the Ebenezer house and the old graveyard.

208ff5t.jpg

After lessons, I had a visit from my dearest friend, Miss Fairley. She is dreadfully poor and she gets so envious of me - sometimes I tease Alexander that she will flirt with him when he is older. Last time we went shopping together we decided to vex our mamas by purchasing the same dress and wearing them when we visit one another. Mama was so cross with me, but I think the dress suits me better than it does my dear Lizzie.

10op3qe.jpg

The day ended, as usual, with me writing in my diary. Alas, it is now time for bed.

edited July 2019
    Tuesday

I have lessons again today. I am quite horribly sick of verbs, mathematics and ancient history! Alexander thrives on what he calls "book learning" but I had rather spend my time at the piano.

Papa decided to take the morning off from writing poetry and instead attended his club, where he spent time talking with his old friends, Sir George Anglesey, and Lord Carrington. They attended Eton together, and Papa says Lord Carrington was always trying to lead them into mischief. When I was little Papa used to talk about me marrying his lordship's eldest son, Edward, but that was before his lordship's father, God rest his soul, gambled away most of their money at cards. Poor Edward needs to marry a woman with money else they might lose the house too. I am determined not to fall in love with him.

httcsw.jpg

Today's lessons were particularly horrid. I really could not give a fig for that fellow Odysseus, and as for Helen of Troy...I hate the wretched creature! I was so glad to be done for the day. A bath and some time at the piano helped to restore my spirits.

14mqc6s.jpg

Mama praised my playing and said that I may take the day off from lessons on Friday, so I am properly relaxed for the Assembly Rooms ball. I am looking forward to both the ball and the break from lessons but all in all, it was a rather dull day. Goodnight, diary.

Wednesday

I have lessons again. At least this time it is geography, French and Italian, which I like better than mathematics and all that other rubbish. Mama has invited the Carringtons and the Angleseys to dinner tonight, but Alexander and I are not invited, which means that it is going to be lot of boring old "grown up" conversation, like politics.

Mama attended the spa today, because she wanted to be properly relaxed for dinner. I am not even sure what is so stressful about hosting a dinner party because of course Mama is not cooking the food herself.

2q9wh8i.jpg

Then, of course, she got annoyed because she saw Mrs Lewis among her betters. Mama really does not care for that woman and believes that she has too strong an influence upon the old man. I have to admit, it is most improper for a mere housekeeper to attend a ladies' spa. Then again, old Mr Ebenezer has his fingers in a lot of pies so he probably paid someone to let her in. Mama told her in no uncertain terms that she did not belong.

29dckmw.jpg

Five o'clock and it is now time for the dinner party. Alexander and I were banished upstairs, me to write in my diary, he to play with his doctor toy. Papa is rich, so Alexander will never need to work, but I think he would have become a doctor, if he had to earn money. He is frightfully clever.

124y736.jpg

I was making for the stairs when the Carringtons arrived. Lady Carrington looked displeased with her husband and I couldn't help wondering why. Perhaps he has lost more of the family money. The other guests are Sir George and his spinster sister, Miss Anglesey.

nl8yo7.jpg

Mama hired a caterer to help Irwin make sure there was plenty of food and drink. I hope the guests had a good time, though I really think Mama should have chosen something better than sandwiches for the menu.

11azho9.jpg

I am a little sad that I was not invited to dinner, but at least I was not obliged to listen to the boring conversations. And so to bed.
    "...though I really think Mama should have chosen something better than sandwiches for the menu...

Literally laughing out loud at this bit. :D

"...though I really think Mama should have chosen something better than sandwiches for the menu...

I was legitimately mortified when the caterer made Faux BLTs! I have terrible luck in this save when it comes to food. The butler keeps making inappropriate food for breakfast, such as turkey dinners and asparagus, yet the caterer makes faux-BLTs for an event that is marked as a dinner party!
    edited July 2019
    Thursday

Today was rather boring. Alexander and I had lessons, as usual. Papa finished another book of poetry and Mama invited the ladies of town over to gossip. It was the usual crowd, Lady Carrington and Miss Anglesey - even though she only saw them last night - Mrs Fairley and Miss Broome, and that odd duck Miss Walker. Mama says Miss Walker is delightful, but I am more curious about her friend, Miss Lister, who is said to be odder still. Alas, Mama says that Miss Lister is not interested in the kind of gossip her friends enjoy.

4sfl8n.jpg

The ladies went for a walk in the snow, Mama showed them the old Goth tombstones.

24xl5oz.jpg

I felt rather dizzy by the time lessons ended and my governess insisted I take a nap. My main concern is that I will be well enough to attend tomorrow's ball.

2wqzs5z.jpg

The rest of the evening passed well enough. Mama and I are very excited about the ball, and particularly about shopping for new ballgowns.
    I was legitimately mortified when the caterer made Faux BLTs! I have terrible luck in this save when it comes to food. The butler keeps making inappropriate food for breakfast, such as turkey dinners and asparagus, yet the caterer makes faux-BLTs for an event that is marked as a dinner party!

LOL. Sometimes those moments make you mad at the time but then end up being the best/funniest moments.

edited July 2019
    Friday

Glory be! I have no lessons today and I am to buy my new ball gown. Mama and I went into to Madame Angelique's, in Windenburg town centre, where we met Lizzie, Miss Anglesey and Miss Klein, all of them shopping for new gowns.

2cwmk9t.jpg

Inside the shop I looked at a lot of gowns. I rather liked the cut of this one, but I wasn't sure the colour suited me.

5efteb.jpg

I tried on the same dress in white.

2luqmit.jpg

In the end, I chose a daring red gown. I want to be noticed tonight.

anizb5.jpg

((Not a Victorian gown, I know, but I haven't fixed up the dress shop properly yet as it's not owned by any played sims))

It is time for the ball! Mama and I look wonderful in our finery, and Papa is dapper.

fd4tn8.jpg

At last we enter the hallowed halls of the Willow Assembly Rooms. Edward Carrington seems to like my dress!

b86y5g.jpg

I stopped dancing to have a drink and some food. Mr Descarte, the painter, loitered behind me when I was chatting to Miss Anglesey. Perhaps he has taken a fancy to Miss Anglesey, and her nearly old enough to be his mother!

106lhro.jpg

On the whole, it was a delightful event. I did not dance quite as much as I had hoped, but there is always next time. I shall never forget my first ball.
    Saturday

Good heavens, but I am tired today. I shall not write very much because I need to recover from my late night. I did not get home until almost 2am. It was a very good night but all I want to do today is play a little piano and spend the day with my family. Good day, diary. We will see one another again very soon.

Next time on The Sims Victoriana. It's Christmas week at Scrooge Hall. Will cranky Mr Ebenezer unwind enough to enjoy the festive season and will his lonely nephew find joy in anything other than books?
  • AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member

If you are not against using mods, littlemssam has one that lets you ask people to cook specific dishes for you ;)

By the way, I am enjoying reading that so much!!!
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
    So pleased you're enjoying it.

After my first official story session I've decided that it's too much work to write up the exploits of all 13 households, so I've chosen 7/13 and the rest will be played as normal to give me a break from writing and screenshots. They all link in with each other anyway.
  • sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member
    Wow this is so cool, I love it!
    The unique twist on a family is great. And the images are just beautiful! I've started reading and need to catch up, so that's on my to do list today
  • PlumbobGrandmaPlumbobGrandma Posts: 438 Member
    Oh wow! This seems like a lot of fun! Quick tip though, if you want to eliminate the bottom play bar you can press tab and take pictures from there instead of cropping it all out. If you also want the floating plumbobs removed you can try this cheat: headlineeffects off

Good job on your story! I love it <3

❀ нєℓℓσ ι'м ρℓυмвσвgяαη∂мα! ❀
    @sueplayssims, Thank you very much for reading, and I hope you continue enjoying the story.

@PlumbobGrandma, Thanks for the tip. I was wondering if it was possible to get rid of the play bar but couldn't think of any way to do it. That will help a lot in future, I might just keep the plumbobs, after all, they are traditional.

I'm going to place a few "NPC" households in Oasis Springs this evening because I want my retail lots to be owned by sims in the world, and probably also update the retail buildings a little once they have their owners assigned. I'll start the next chapter tonight or tomorrow, depending on how I get on.
    Chapter 2
    Julian Ebenezer

2nd week of winter

Sunday

Dear Mama and Papa

How I hate Sunday! It is, without doubt, the worst day of the week. I hate sitting in that cold church listening to the sermon, and the sad eyed glances of the other parishioners - I cannot abide their pity! The gossips are even worse, and quite set my teeth on edge. But Uncle Tiberius says I must come, that we would be talked about if I did not, and Mrs Lewis says that I must honour your memory. How I wish I could stay at home and read instead! Uncle Tiberius was not pleased when I said that I feel closer to God with a book in my hand than when I am sitting in church!

ip8ga0.jpg

I suppose it is silly of me to write like this, when neither of you can ever read my words, but Mrs Lewis says that writing down my thoughts will help to ease my pain, and she is so good to me I thought it was worth a try. I miss you both so much, and I would give anything to have you back, particularly today. It is snowing today and everyone is talking about the Christmas season. Mrs Lewis wishes to decorate the house tomorrow. It is too early but she says the decorations will cheer everyone up. By that she means me, and she is very wrong indeed. I cannot abide Christmas, and neither can Uncle Tiberius, though he is a grumpy old soul every day of the year. I cannot forget that it was last Christmas that I lost the two of you.

There, I said it! I miss you! It's not fair that we cannot celebrate the festive season together. Sometimes I feel like my soul is going to break into two because I miss you so much. After dinner tonight I was so upset I cried and Mrs Lewis had to comfort me. She tries so hard to be a mother to me, and I am fond of her, but nobody could ever replace my own dear mama.

24vpohd.jpg

Uncle Tiberius says I must never forget that Mrs Lewis just the housekeeper. Nonetheless, she is a great deal pleasanter than he is, and neither of us could do without her. At any rate, I have written enough today. I shall go and read my book on archaeology before bed.
    edited July 2019
    Monday

Dear Mama and Papa

Tonight is Monday night. I am feeling a bit better, probably because I had lessons with my tutor today. Reading and learning new things always cheers me up. I have been very busy learning about the ancient Romans and studying Latin verbs. Ancient history is my favourite topic, and I especially love hearing about the artifacts that are found by men in modern times, like the Rosetta Stone and the Elgin Marbles. How I would like to see them for myself one day! It would be even better if I am lucky enough to find an ancient treasure for myself.

After lessons I went to the General Store to look over the account books. Uncle Tiberius used to do it himself, when he had less money, but his clerk left last month and now he likes me to do it. He says it is good training for me.

21a042.jpg

After dinner, Uncle Tiberius invited me to play chess. At first I thought it meant he wanted to talk, and take an interest in my hobbies, but he really just wanted to gloat about how he plays better than I do, so it was an awkward game and I hope he does not ask again soon.

21a042.jpg

Post edited by Mariefoxprice83 on
    edited July 2019
    Wednesday

Dear Mama and Papa

I did not feel like writing yesterday, and it was quite a dull day anyway. Today is Christmas Eve and Mrs Lewis enlisted my aid to put up the Christmas tree. At first I found it rather dull, after all, there are so many baubles.

e9g0ao.jpg

The tree looks delightful now we have finished.

2vu0lyo.jpg

Before dinner, Uncle Tiberius let me have my first ever grown up drink as a special treat. It was not worth it. I did not care for the taste at all.

2ia4x1d.jpg

Disaster! I think the liquor went to my head because I sat too close to the fire and got burned. Mrs Lewis had to help me beat out the flames. Now my favourite coat is ruined and I had to bathe before dinner. Luckily I have another coat in the same style.

avokdh.jpg

After dinner, I consoled myself with my new book on archaeology. Apart from the fire, this Christmas Eve was not as bad as I thought it might be. Uncle Tiberius is going to Midnight Mass tonight but he said I did not have to come. By his standards, that is a kindly gesture! At any rate, I am off to bed.

2q8nath.jpg

Next time on The Sims Victoriana, it's Christmas Day at Scrooge Hall. Hopefully Julian, Uncle Tiberius and Mrs Lewis will get some good gifts.
    Thursday

Dear Mama and Papa

Today is Christmas Day. Mrs Lewis cooked us a very special Christmas breakfast. Uncle Tiberius is even in a good mood, for once!

1zxxe81.jpg

Poor Mrs Lewis had to eat by herself in the kitchen. I wish I had stood up to Uncle Tiberius and asked him to let her eat with us, but I know there are some people in town who think she already has too much influence with us both.

n56i53.jpg

At least Uncle Tiberius gave her some money to put in her bank account. He gave her £500 for being such a good housekeeper. That was surprisingly good of him. We have presents under the tree this morning but Uncle Tiberius said we are not to open them until after church.

After church, I looked in the mailbox to see if we had any gifts. Mrs Lewis had hidden a pack of vegetable seeds in there marked with my name. It was a very good joke indeed because we all know how I hate the outdoors. It seems a shame to waste the seeds so I asked Uncle Tiberius if we might build a small greenhouse and then we can plant the seeds ready for the spring.

I received several presents but my favourite is this delightful antique chest from Uncle Tiberius. I wasn't sure he would give me anything at all. I I expect he consulted Sir George, who is our resident expert on antiques. I have put it in the attic alongside the archaeology workbench you gave me two Christmases ago, dear Papa.

2wlu69u.jpg

After opening our presents it was time to get ready for dinner. Uncle Tiberius and I bathed while Mrs Lewis checked on the turkey and finished off the trimmings. This time my uncle invited Mrs Lewis to eat with us. I was so happy for her.

dvk86t.jpg

Now it is midnight and time for bed. I discovered that I did not hate Christmas Day after all, and I quite thought I would.
    edited July 2019
    Friday

Dear Mama and Papa

Today is Boxing Day, so Uncle Tiberius arranged for us to visit the less fortunate. I don't believe for one moment that he actually cares about the working classes, but it is customary for a gentleman to give gifts to his servants and to the deserving poor today, and Uncle Tiberius always likes to keep up appearances. Strictly speaking, the families we visited are Lord Carrington's tenants, but everyone knows that the Carringtons are barely managing to scrape by, even though we have to pretend they are as wealthy as Uncle Tiberius.

First we visited the Hake family. I felt a little bit sick when we arrived at the cottage, but I promised to do my bit, and besides, I didn't fancy walking back home all by myself.

The family gets its income mostly from fishing and their home is a horrid wooden cottage. It's a pity Lord Carrington cannot even afford to build them a stone cottage because there are an awful lot of them, and all of them wear clothing that is grubby and tattered. Five children - imagine that! The boys and girls all sleep in one room, and the adults share with the toddler. I have heard that they are actually lucky to have proper bedrooms!

rtgld3.jpg

Mrs Lewis brought the family some leftover turkey from our own Christmas dinner. I doubt the children had ever tasted turkey before. She also gave them a pack of seeds, to help them grow their own produce. Uncle Tiberius gave the father some money and I gave the children each a toy. Mrs Lewis wrapped them nicely in boxes and ribbon for me. The children were so happy and I felt like Lord Bountiful himself.

6fw1fl.jpg

2zixaaf.jpg

That horrid fisherman wouldn't let me use the family privy. I had to relieve myself in a bush! I have never been more embarrassed in my life!

280r2a1.jpg

After leaving Fisherman's Cottage we visited the Green family for the next round of gifts. Their cottage is even worse than the other one. Why do these people look so wretched? At least this family offered to let us stay and eat with them. I think Uncle Tiberius might have refused, but he wants the family to praise his kindness and generosity, so he had no choice but to stay. The food was tolerable, though not a patch on Mrs Lewis' cooking!

r2n59k.jpg

Duty done, we returned home. When I saw the facade of Scrooge Hall ahead, I was never more glad to be an Ebenezer. I have nice clothes, a warm bed, and can have a hot bath whenever I want one. I really could not abide to be poor!
    Saturday

It is New Year's Eve at last. I have resolved to study harder at my lessons. My tutor says I do well but could do even better, so I shall try my best.

Uncle Tiberius agreed to build a greenhouse, but just a little one. I don't know how he found someone to build it so quickly, but he did. I planted my seeds this morning - mushroom and spinach. I got my hands dirty, but I suppose I shall have to get used to that if I am to be an archaeologist. It was a bit warmer in the greenhouse than outdoors but I believe I shall make sure I only search for artifacts from warm countries when I am grown up. Snow is just too cold!

2lkvc4l.jpg

I did some more studying today. I suppose I should be excited about the new year but it is just another chilly day and we are not receiving guests today, nor have we been invited to celebrate with our neighbours. I am thankful for that because I had rather be at home anyway.

I have had a grand idea. I wonder if I can persuade Sir George to ask one of his contacts to take me exploring one day. Sir George did a little bit of exploring himself when he attained his majority, but duty has kept him at home for many years and now he prefers a more sedate manner of collecting interesting things. I know he still has many contacts in the fields of archaeology, antiquity and exploration so I shall have to ask him when we next meet.

Ah, what better way to see in the new year than with a book in my hand.

2m2i1oy.jpg

Next time on The Sims Victoriana, Sir George Anglesey begins his search for a wife.
    edited July 2019
    A small confession - I forgot I had aging switched off while I was adding some non-played sims to the game yesterday, and I accidentally played the Ebenezer family with aging off for the entire time Julian was telling his story. Oops! Oh well, I guess they are all slightly younger than planned.
    edited July 2019
    Some of my pictures aren't showing at the moment. I may have to switch from Tiny Pic to Photobucket as I know Tiny Pic is being taken offline some time this year.