Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Curved roof over foundation?

I've been trying to find the answer to this to no avail and I'm hoping someone here will know if it's possible to create a curved roof on a building that has a foundation? I know you can do it with ground floor walls but I'm hoping someone can point me towards a tutorial for something over a foundation. I've been trying for 2 days now and still no luck lol

Comments

• soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,260 Member

Are you asking about Sims 3 or 4?
  • AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
    Sims 3 :) I didn't know this creative corner was for both, sorry :)
  • JosieAnglinJosieAnglin Posts: 591 Member
    Ah okay I was confused too about this being TS3 or TS4.. I was like wait.. I thought you could do that hahah.

Nothing to be sorry for @AbellaKellaher . This is indeed for Sims 3... was just double-checking :smile:

What kind of curve are you trying to make?

Are you just using the roof tool? If so, perhaps the tutorial link below can help (see conical, dome, pagoda roofing tools). And yes... you can apply this easily to a house with a foundation using the standard tools. Just select auto-roof or add individual roofing pieces depending on what you want it to look like. The pagoda and curvature tool is great for curves for cottages, etc.
    https://carls-sims-3-guide.com/buildedit/houses/roofs/
    2fAVaqH.jpg

If you are looking for a more sophisticated curve using the ConstrainFloorElevation (CFE) false cheat that's more complicated. If you're just starting out with CFE, perhaps the tutorial below can help. There are other CFE tutorials on YouTube as well.
    https://carls-sims-3-guide.com/buildedit/houses/walls/wallcurving.php.

If you are already comfortable using CFE, and just need to get around the foundation height popping back to a standard height when manipulating, then you can try what I did below. I think this method including the foundation in your guide walls is easier to manage...

First pre-determine the number of clicks in advance to make the curve you want. With that info you can lower the terrain where you plan to add the guide walls by the same number of clicks. Add a piece of foundation and guide walls. Then use CFE to curve your roof. In the example below, I started with the highest point of the curve (less lowering of the terrain); then the next set of guides I lowered the terrain even more since wanted the ends to curve downwards. Keep in mind placement of your guides in case you mess up and need to redo anything, it's good to have backup guides somewhere on the lot which you can use to fix things. A quick and dirty show and tell below assumes you already know to use CFE. To get a smoother curve, repeat at least 3 times and use less clicks between lowering. Remember to turn the cheat off (true) when done.
    osrqCrJ.jpg

Hope the info above helps. Others may have other CFE methods as well. I find making backups of your WIP lot and just experimenting a great teacher. Good luck!

I was torn between clicking insightful or awesome because the bottom part is exactly what I was looking for @soocoolsim ! Thank you so much! Wish me luck lol!
    Just to show you what you helped me do, @soocoolsim kHy6R8v.jpg
    still not done, obviously, and please forgive the grid lines, but it's turning out to be a cute little Romani wagon <3<3 thank you so much!
    edited July 2019
    Aw, my pleasure indeed @AbellaKellaher . So glad I was able to help. Love to see folks experimenting with CFE and your wagon is totally adorable. I really like your colours and all the finishing details. The CFE did create an interesting wall effect as well. Well done 😃

Hopefully not... but during play testing if routing is a concern, an option is to flatten back to standard height then add another level and use that instead to do the curving. That could keep the integrity of the main floor height. If trying that option, suggest you shorten the height of the whole second level before curving so it’s not as tall to begin with. A quick way to do that is to use stairs to push the floor down. Don’t hesitate to touch base if you need additional help.

PS: Feel free to browse through my showcase to see some other fun things that can be done with CFE... from animals (beaver, bunny, bears, sheep, kitty, puppy, swan, even Nemo) to ‘lego’ people dioramas and a witch.
    Post edited by soocoolsim on
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    I wonder if you know about this set - https://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/details/category/sims3-sets-objects-construction/title/build-your-own-playable-🐸🐸🐸🐸-wagons/id/1109460/

My wagons and diner -
    H9RgL61.jpg
    9s7B9h6.jpg
    KLJMNeo.jpg
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,988 Member
    I wonder if you know about this set - https://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/details/category/sims3-sets-objects-construction/title/build-your-own-playable-🐸🐸🐸🐸-wagons/id/1109460/

My wagons and diner -
    H9RgL61.jpg
    9s7B9h6.jpg
    KLJMNeo.jpg

Wow. Thos are impressive!
    Aww, shucks /blush
    edited September 2019
    @KatyFernlily those are very impressive indeed! Thank you for the link! I can't tell whether the set is for TS3 or TS4 but other than the essential NRAAS mods, I don't play with any CC - my computer just does not like it. Here's some pics of the Romani camp I made with CFE, though :)

j0vVdoX.jpg

nqXdmvK.jpg

jUf5QjP.jpg

WgJbCOy.jpg

hEcAkGs.jpg

IXhiq2C.jpg

Here's one of the camp with the Romani fair which is on the lot directly next to the "home" lot, where all the "wagons" are :)

DulSJDJ.jpg

And one from the fair lot to the home lot :)

StHLYDk.jpg
    edited September 2019
    It's simply beautiful!!!
    (the set is for sims 3)
    Thanks! And thanks for letting me know about the CC roofs, they are quite lovely! I would most likely download those first if/when I get a rig that isn't so sensitive to CC lol. I have to admit, I was quite pleased with how the two lots (and family) turned out. The faire lot has some particularly fun areas including side shows, a performance stage, a "beer"/dance tent, a fortune teller wagon (not the one that you see across the street.) I wanted it all to feel charming old-timey and hodgepodge-ish but all still flow well together. I've considered uploading them both, but I'm not sure anyone would be interested lol :)