This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Aspirations for teens and elders

I am currently playing quite a large family split into several households and I have Sims of all ages from children to elders. When the eldest daughter of my main household aged up to a teen I realised none of the aspirations suited what I wanted her to be. Then her grandmother finished one of the family aspirations and I faced the same situations.

All of the aspirations we have in game are great for young adults and adults but not for the other ages...

For example, I thought that elders could have one based on family and grandchildren called "Perfect Grandparent".

Would you like to have aspirations for teens and elders specifically? And if yes, what would the goals be?
Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'

Comments

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Interesting question.

I have only navigated Teen stage on one Sim, and his Aspiration was a natural follow-up of his childhood creativity. I initially started him with a painting ambition, but he acquired piano skill from a family volunteering event, and I switched him to a musical one since a.) it was close to what I had in mind already and b.) it grew naturally out of events in my gameplay. He was a young adult before he completed it, but not by much. It worked fine for his Teen years.

I only have one Elder Sim I have really played, in the Culinary career, and with the chef Aspiration. It suits her, fine. Since she was created as an Elder, I kind of see this as her post-divorce career, taking her home cooking skills professional. It's slow progress because I don't play that household much, but it keeps her busy.

My family-focussed Sims, now Adults, have Aspirations around their offspring, extending into the offspring's careers and marital life. For example, one now needs to befriend four grandchildren. With only one Young Adult son so far, it's still going to be a while... and could well carry into his Elder years.

I don't even have that much DLC, so my Aspirations are mostly base-game. I guess I don't find them as Teen or Elder inappropriate. I do like that when you finish them, there is a prompt to pick another, but I do sometimes struggle to know what that next goal should be. But that is regardless of life stage, and has more to do with what suits the Sim in question.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Yes, and also more for kids.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,811 Member
    I want more aspirations in general. I like the idea of having more that can be completed by teens. The grandparent aspiration sounds fun too. I also wish reading to toddlers would fulfil the requirement to read 2 hours to a child some of the family aspirations have. So I don't have to round up random children in the neighborhood! 😄
  • Options
    AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    Yes, and also more for kids.

I agree, I'm so bored of the ones we have!
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    edited July 2019
    I would love more aspirations for all life stages (minus toddlers). I wish that children that had traits that pertained to them too. Like emotional, natural-born leader, goofball, goody-two-shoes, assertive, honest, loyal, good friend. The same for teens and elders (obviously some of these traits could be used by all ages but it would be nice to have a few specific to children, teens, and elders).
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    FYI, you can get aspiration and trait cc, just like you can for objects. I don’t think everyone who plays realizes this. The sim personalities are pretty thin the way the game is set up, so I have as many personality-enhancing mods and cc as I can find.

My favorite right now is the “fibromyalgia” trait. I gave it to my artist. He’s often physically uncomfortable, so it gives him facial expressions and body gestures that make him look the part of the brooding, tortured artist, which is great for storytelling. Another one I just gave a toddler is the “autism” trait. I’m looking forward to seeing how that one plays out.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    FYI, you can get aspiration and trait cc, just like you can for objects. I don’t think everyone who plays realizes this. The sim personalities are pretty thin the way the game is set up, so I have as many personality-enhancing mods and cc as I can find.

My favorite right now is the “fibromyalgia” trait. I gave it to my artist. He’s often physically uncomfortable, so it gives him facial expressions and body gestures that make him look the part of the brooding, tortured artist, which is great for storytelling. Another one I just gave a toddler is the “autism” trait. I’m looking forward to seeing how that one plays out.

because a mental disability is a "trait" apparently
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I feel like teens should’ve had their own individual aspirations just like for children.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,149 Member
    I would definitely love some aspirations specifically for teens and elders, and some more for kids as well.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    RosybearRosybear Posts: 51 Member
    alyssa123 wrote: »

because a mental disability is a "trait" apparently

I mean, autism is a condition and for some people isn't a disability. I know a lot of people who are autistic, ranging from those who find it affecting their life hugely to those who just see it as a part of their personality. And I have a friend with fibro myalgia who for her the condition is a big part of her life. I think adding these in is really nice and if done right could make the game more inclusive. Mental disability isn't a "trait" persay but come on, how else would you add it into this game?
  • Options
    RosybearRosybear Posts: 51 Member
    I'd love more aspirations so much especially for these age groups!! Have been mod shopping this morning and there are some really interesting ones I'd never have thought of. Wish EA would maybe add some more in themselves though
  • Options

Yes, I have downloaded a few traits already but I don't find that many aspirations… Also, I wish it was part of the game and we didn't have to use mods for that :/
  • Options
    ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I agree! Some aspirations work well as a teen (like Music requires they practice for the first level, which makes sense for a teen to do), but then it doesn’t make sense from a realistic perspective (Music requires licensing songs, which is kind of odd for teens to do?). The Friend Of The World works fine, but I usually stalk on aspirations that require Adult/Get A Job.

But more aspirations for kids and in general world be the best bet. I see Aspiration mods but just haven’t dived in yet.
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member

I use CC for some things like hair and clothes but I try not to use too much of it for the simple reason that I don't want to go through everything every single month to see what's broken and what's not broken. I don't feel like simmers should have to rely on CC for their game to get better. Some things should be fixed whether you use cc or not.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,918 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'd like to have specific aspirations for teens. Also I think some aspirations are not adapted to them, like "superparent", "mixologist" etc
  • Options
    MaedMaed Posts: 33 Member
    Teens deserve a lot more attention in general, I feel, and specific aspirations for them would be a great improvement. Like one for being a good student like the Whiz Kid aspiration for children, and one for being rebellious.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Teens yes, but not elders.
  • Options
    Teens yes, but not elders.

Why not elders? :)
  • Options
    adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    I would generally love to see more stuff to do with teens/elders and more kids aspirations, those three we have are - as @Amandèle stated - they do get boring if you play a lot of children as I usually do.

Elders should have something to do with grandchildren and retirement (like retire -> get a hobby eg. level up in gardening/fishing or other things elderly folk would like to do - oooh I'd love if they could knit! Or other elder specific skills!). I love the elderly people and it makes me sad that in this game there's so much missed potential. Like grandparents should be better at teaching the youngsters about life (manners, responsibility, etc. in parenthood and mentoring skills - just because they have more experience than YA's and adults!). They should have photo albums that they could reminiscence upon and tell stories of their younger days (group stories if possible).

Teens should have first the possibilities for teen house parties, learning to drive, and other stuff we used to have in previous games (which I was hoping to be introduced in parenthood, which turned out to be a really cheap "copy" of Generations, but the name "parenthood" gives me hope we'd have "teenagedom" hehe or "elderly folk" coming up *fingers crossed*) and then we should have aspirations for them also.

There's so much more to the life stages (other than YA's and adults though I understand most players use those the most) that I'd like to see. Toddlers, when introduced, felt like a real life state more than kids and teens and elders do to me atm.

Sorry for the OT, but I seem to start ranting about "empty" life stages every time the subject comes up :)
    origin ID: adduapina