Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA strikes again!

We are allowed, in the settings on Origin, to choose whether we want automatic TS4 updates or not. In theory, this implies we may select what updates we want, and if we choose not to, then play at the game version prior to the update. After the disaster of the June update, which I had no control over, I opted to take up the option.

Wrong!

Have just discovered that updates are mandatory. Unless I bow to the almighty EA, choose update, the game will not be playable - even at the prior level. This is, at best, dirty pool. At worst, words are not adequate - though tyranical control by an evil and egotistical self-appointed elite will do for now. Perhaps EA has forgotten that at the present the US of A is still a country where freedom of choice is permitted, and in some states even encouraged. Perhaps they have forgotten (or choose to ignore) that game customers are not their peasants, that they are at liberty to choose what games they play and where to spend their gaming dollars.

Guess what, EA? No more of my gaming dollars for you. And no more TS4, either. Since I refuse to kow-tow to your imperious desire to control me, my TS4 is not playable. So, why keep it on my PC any longer? Do nye svidania!

Comments

• ElaineenicoleeElaineenicolee Posts: 95 Member
    Can you disconnect from the internet to play? I thought in the past if you stopped auto updates & turned internet off for origin, it could work??? If not, sorry hun.

Despite the loading screen, this update isn’t too terrible. None of my mods/cc broke. But I get it if the loading screen causes you any problems as it has to some other players.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Do you write books? Have a blog? I'd totally read your writing in the future. You have a way with words, my friend.

Oh and I agree that it's messed up if you can't play the game without signing in.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    That annoys me too.
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited July 2019
    All you have to do is play in Offline mode. Log onto Origin, then click Origin on the menu and select Offline mode. Then click My Glame Library and play your game in offline mode. You can keep playing this way and saving. The only problem is no access to the Gallery but you will still have access to Your Library since that is on the hard drive. I play offline mode sometimes just because. Yet, if something comes out and you want to buy it online you have to go online and that is where the latest patches will then download. I guess unless you buy a game CD if they still sell those then I'm assuming no issues.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    As others have pointed out, you can still play in offline mode without updating. But I agree that it’s annoying that you can’t play online without updating since it means you don’t have access to the gallery.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    If you don't want to update yet (as I don't) disconnect your internet once you've opened Origin.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I agree with you @Oldeseadogge, we should not be forced to install updates meant to make changes to our game we don't want, make our games unplayable due to added bugs and glitches, or add content we are not interested in having. I have tried to adhere to EA's policy on updates since the game was released. But each new update and patch seems to add more stuff and bugs rather than being focused on fixing everything that is currently broken. When an update such as the one on June18th comes along and makes the game nearly impossible to play without the addition of mods, EA needs to change the way the game is being updated. We deal with a lot of things in RL that are forced on us because of situtations/laws/rules. I find being forced to do certain things in order to play a game I paid for, highly offensive. This whole idea of doing things EA's way or give up playing the game entirely, robs of us of our ability to choose what we want added to our games. And destroys what litte trust we have left in this huge corporation that is, supposedly, all about publishing games that are fun and entertaining. The Sims4 is not fun to play right now. How can it be fun when so little actually works as it was intended to work?

The best solution to the forced updates would be to separate these updates into three parts. One part for the bug fixes, one part for updates to the base game such as adding pool slides, whims, additions to features from past packs, etc. and one part for added content such as color swatches for various assets. Each one of those has it's own team. Whenever one of those teams runs into time contraints, the update is postponed until all three teams are finished with their tasks, and the update is then released. Why should we have to wait for the bug fixes if the team working on color swatches is running a bit behind, for example. And as far as the color swatches being added so often to these updates, why can't we have the option not to install those? I couldn't care less about adding color swatches to old meshes that have been in the game for years. I would much prefer the game to be a whole lot less glitchy than added to with more stuff to look at. I do not mind the players who do not use CC are able to enjoy having new color swatches. But to be fair to everyone who owns the game, adding new meshes, for free, would be rather nice. But, again, I should be allowed to choose what I add to my game. The Sims franchise has always been advertised as one that allows the player to make his/her own choices in how he/she plays the game. That is so not true now. And quite honestly, I have had enough of it.

• dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    As others have said, just play offline. The reason they are so forceful of updates is because of the online stuff like the gallery. Two different game versions just don't work together. Or buying new packs. You can't buy anything sims related until your game is on the version where it knows about the existence of said DLC. It's that simple.
    As for pushing the patches, maybe the bug fix team said "we likely won't be able to fix these bugs for the next patch" so they chose to instead left it till the next patch.
    This is the game industry we're talking about. I'm sure you've heard at least some stories about the crunch times and such. They don't sit around playing solitaire all day.
  • NAPK1NSNAPK1NS Posts: 116 Member
    dorcsyful wrote: »
    As others have said, just play offline. The reason they are so forceful of updates is because of the online stuff like the gallery. Two different game versions just don't work together. Or buying new packs. You can't buy anything sims related until your game is on the version where it knows about the existence of said DLC. It's that simple.
    As for pushing the patches, maybe the bug fix team said "we likely won't be able to fix these bugs for the next patch" so they chose to instead left it till the next patch.
    This is the game industry we're talking about. I'm sure you've heard at least some stories about the crunch times and such. They don't sit around playing solitaire all day.

But why don’t they just disable the gallery for people who are out of date in terms of sims updates? Plenty of other games disable network features if you don’t want to update, such as Red dead redemption 2, gmod and Skyrim just to name a few, so why is the sims any different? Like you said, this is the gaming industry we’re talking about, and that is how the gaming industry is supposed to work.
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    NAPK1NS wrote: »
    dorcsyful wrote: »

But why don’t they just disable the gallery for people who are out of date in terms of sims updates? Plenty of other games disable network features if you don’t want to update, such as Red dead redemption 2, gmod and Skyrim just to name a few, so why is the sims any different? Like you said, this is the gaming industry we’re talking about, and that is how the gaming industry is supposed to work.

Like I said. No update means players can't buy expansion packs. Say you've decided not to update but suddenly you got 40 euros to spare and want to get that one EP you don't have. But oops you can't because your game is not up to date. That's 40 euros lost for EA.
    I get your point. But with a game that relies on DLC as much as the sims 4 it just doesn't make sense.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Origin just allows you do disable automatic updates. That doesn't mean it'll let you choose to update, they simply aren't automatic and you'll need to update the game manually.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    It’s true that once Origin detects an update you won’t be able to launch the game until it’s updated. The only workaround for this is to enter Offline Mode on Origin which will allow you to launch the game bypassing the mandatory update.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Wait ... I play in offline mode all the time because for me the game runs better. (it just one thing keeps my Sims from just standing there ignoring me) If I want the gallery I just click on the gallery icon and the game asks me if I want to go online or not. If I choose no I still can interact with my library. I can add stuff to my library through the website while not in the game. You are entitled to your own opinion about the game and the game creators of course. Let's learn how to do stuff before going negative on hard working game creators and the company they work for. I never update until I get ready. I love the game and don't want something to keep me from playing. So I wait and keep my eye on twitter, YouTube and this forum to see what's up.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    I have mine set to not allow updates. It works for my game. Not having updates being automatic allows me the time to remove my Mods folder ahead of time. Especially since we've had three mod-busting patches in a row! I only update when I'm ready to do so. I haven't been blocked from playing my game, thus far. Sometimes I wait until the mods I use are updated. Happily, deaderpool has his MCCC mod hot fixes oftentimes the very same afternoon that the patch drops. Road to Fame, this last time around was ready the very next day, as it turned out. But, I played my game before, during, and after the patch dropped without any trouble. In fact, I still have it set up this way. I haven't been blocked from playing.

I'm very sorry to hear you're having woes. It's frustrating when you wish to do something and for some reason you're prevented from doing so. Trust me, my game has been in complete havoc since the StrangerVille patch struck. I'm just now back to being able to play and it's been how long? Oi!

My best advise: Just keep swimming.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited July 2019
    @Starbucaneer reported a similar issue in this thread. If both of you have turned off automatic updates, and went offline, but are still unable to play, might it not be a bug which should be reported over here in the bug forum? One player w/an issue & maybe it's a glitch, two reporting it at almost the same time, & maybe it's a new bug?

edited to get hyperlink to go to top of thread not bottom! I hope. :wink:
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    All you have to do is play in Offline mode. Log onto Origin, then click Origin on the menu and select Offline mode. Then click My Glame Library and play your game in offline mode. You can keep playing this way and saving. The only problem is no access to the Gallery but you will still have access to Your Library since that is on the hard drive. I play offline mode sometimes just because. Yet, if something comes out and you want to buy it online you have to go online and that is where the latest patches will then download. I guess unless you buy a game CD if they still sell those then I'm assuming no issues.

The problem is that you can't go online at all if there is an update. Because once you log into Origin, it detects the update and won't let you play until the game is updated. So even this method can fail unless it's done prior to an update.
    IceyJ wrote: »

The problem is that you can't go online at all if there is an update. Because once you log into Origin, it detects the update and won't let you play until the game is updated. So even this method can fail unless it's done prior to an update.

@IceyJ my game lets me play after it detects an update (so long as I go offline). When an update comes in I am usually online in Origin and when I try to play TS4 the ‘play’ button is replaced by an ‘update’ button. I then switch to being offline and the ‘update’ button is again replaced by a ‘play’ button, and I then just play the game.
  • wamayeliwamayeli Posts: 147 Member
    At worst, words are not adequate - though tyranical control by an evil and egotistical self-appointed elite will do for now. Perhaps EA has forgotten that at the present the US of A is still a country where freedom of choice is permitted, and in some states even encouraged.

Agree...They should not make you update in order to play.

Especially as it seems like updates now break more than they fix so I certainly understand not wanting to update. I wish I could go back to before the Pre-Island Living update. That has caused me so many issues. And I hate the new color scheme of the re-brand as well. I don't typically use mods, but I guess I will have to learn how. The game is unplayable for me right now without them.

I'm sorry for your trouble.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2019
    IceyJ wrote: »

@IceyJ my game lets me play after it detects an update (so long as I go offline). When an update comes in I am usually online in Origin and when I try to play TS4 the ‘play’ button is replaced by an ‘update’ button. I then switch to being offline and the ‘update’ button is again replaced by a ‘play’ button, and I then just play the game.

Ah, then it changed at some point. Origin used to prevent the game from launching until it updated.

If true, then I don't see any reason why the OP can't continue playing his game.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    You can also pause updates by clicking on the update bar on the bottom left of Origin. (This last update I got the feeling that the download was already on my laptop before the official download time, ready to install). It started installing right on official delivery time. (I'm on automatic update.)

Once you start the game offline you cannot go online in game unless you exit and start the game again. That's the message they give me if I try it in game.

I've taken Origin off my laptop Startup list, (have you noticed it there)? That's giving EA too much control and wastes startup time and there's no reason I want it there anyway.

So for me it looks like go offline, startup Origin, start game, go online, ok.
  • sekojranasekojrana Posts: 107 Member
    As others have pointed out, you can still play in offline mode without updating. But I agree that it’s annoying that you can’t play online without updating since it means you don’t have access to the gallery.

You still have access to the gallery, you just can't download anything uploaded since the last patch you skipped. Log into origin, switch to offline mode to load up the game, and then once in the game, hitting the gallery icon will prompt a box asking you to go online. You hit yes and it will connect you, and you'll have access to the gallery again. I really only patch if an ep/gp comes out that I want, so I'm usually behind on 3/4 patches at any given time lol

Also, my 'offline' mode in Orgin never works to log in, so I always log in online and then switch to offline mode once loaded, and I've never had a problem with it forcing me to update the game in order to play.
    sekojrana wrote: »

You still have access to the gallery, you just can't download anything uploaded since the last patch you skipped. Log into origin, switch to offline mode to load up the game, and then once in the game, hitting the gallery icon will prompt a box asking you to go online. You hit yes and it will connect you, and you'll have access to the gallery again. I really only patch if an ep/gp comes out that I want, so I'm usually behind on 3/4 patches at any given time lol

Also, my 'offline' mode in Orgin never works to log in, so I always log in online and then switch to offline mode once loaded, and I've never had a problem with it forcing me to update the game in order to play.

Oh neat, I always assumed that if you went inline for the gallery your game would start trying to get you to download the latest patch. That’s very good to know, thank you!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Do you write books? Have a blog? I'd totally read your writing in the future. You have a way with words, my friend.

Oh and I agree that it's messed up if you can't play the game without signing in.

I have one in the process of being published, supposed to be out near the end of the year. There are 7 more in the wings, provided copyright issues can be resolved. The material is all new, but part of the setting and a couple of the characters are under copyright.
    Can you disconnect from the internet to play? I thought in the past if you stopped auto updates & turned internet off for origin, it could work??? If not, sorry hun.

Despite the loading screen, this update isn’t too terrible. None of my mods/cc broke. But I get it if the loading screen causes you any problems as it has to some other players.

Indeed you can, which leads to an update to my comment.

Upon getting that note, I got thoroughly ticked off, went directly to the forums to post my protest, and then back to the game screen to close it out. Discovered that during my brief absence EA did the update anyway, even though I had said 'no'! Great twirling plumbob! Talk about impereious control! Curious, and wanting to give my a/c more time to cool the bedroom down, I clicked the not supposed to be there play button. Update was there in all its eye hurting glory. Observations from the testing:
    Difficult to tell what's what with game icons. I'm partly color-blind which probably contributes, but had no problem before.
    What's with the leapers in the bottom right corner? They are useless, annoying, and infantile.
    The shade of blue chosen is bad! The redone rotating plumbob makes it worse, necessitating looking away until the loading screen is done.
    The interrogation, a/k/a their 'story' feature:
    Appears only when starting a new game. New sims in existing game don't get the treatment.
    Results in terms of traits, aspirations, skills, job, etc. don't necessarily agree with what one expects from one's answers
    Those results can be contradictory within themselves - test sim got aspriation of being best selling author; but the skills, job, and a trait were focused on acting, music, and comedy. Split focus does not lead to success in any of it. Bad job, EA!

Am overall not favourably impressed with the patch. Other than possible benefits to my few and seldom played vampires this patch is of no use to me. Did not try that cheat, but why bother giving objects that are simply art, not something useful?

EA's Origin spyware will search in vain for any games. They are living on a machine that is not connected to the internet, though it is capable of being so should I choose. My prized TS2 UC is completely safe from EA's grubby, controlling claws. It and TS4 run just fine over there. If I use Orgin at all, it would be to give TS3 another try. It still has a lot of fans here, so maybe finding out why would be instructive.
    A big thank you to all that have expressed understanding and sympathies! :) Did my posts before reading all the way through. I can't help but wonder whether there has been a corporate level change in EA's brass and/or the board. How the company does games and treats us is very different than before. In the old days it was more like they and we were partners in the gaming experience, almost like family. Even the web site is little more than company propaganda with a bone tossed to us by having the forums. Go to the TS2 site via the wayback and find the entirely different experience that awaits you there. Everything was from the front page, and everybody had a piece of it. There was even a place for links to CC and mod makers, a place for stories and videos, all sorts of things. A place for simmers to come, chill, have some fun, and connect with one's fellows.