Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Quickly Identifying Build Buy items by pack icon Colour is a quality of life issue for builders

JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,965 Member
edited July 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I am BEGGING to please bring back the colour coded icons in the build buy catalogue icons as the colour by pack is critical to making building easier.

Comments

• PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Can't you just sort the entire catalog by pack?
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,965 Member
    You can @PlayerSinger2010 . The quick visual of the colour coded pack icons saves a lot of time though. It is also easier on the eyes to look for a colour than trying to decode the icon image which is very small. The devs know players are all ages play this game and the removal of the colour coding is step backwards in terms of accessibility for those of us who need glasses to read.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited July 2019
    Can't you just sort the entire catalog by pack?

No, I wouldn't want this, having all the packs. I want to see all my beds, chairs etc., in one place. I use the option that's there already to choose what packs of mine I want to see by using the tool on the right in build mode. I usually use BaseGame and selected Pack for that. That sorts them much easier and one can get back to normal with one click..

What I definitely don't want is those tiny pack symbols for downloaded stuff we got in Sims 3 with the push to buy what one hasn't got already in front of them all. Those were horrendous if you played on anything less than a 17 inch screen. Keep it simple. :)
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I agree. It's irritating in CAS, too. There are plenty of times where I'd just look for the little icon color to find something I was looking for when I knew it came from a particular pack.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    edited July 2019
    I've just started up the game again and looking at the latest tiny game icons I would rather they were all a now little bit bigger in black on white or white on black as they would be easier to see for me that way. I don't need to be told anyway which object came with which pack unless I am looking specifically for one in order to build on a lot for the Gallery and there is a way to choose which packs you want to see in your Build and Buy collection already. I tend to stick the objects I want in the garden until I am ready for them or buy a room and use their objects and delete the room after.

There was bound to be a problem in colour choice eventually after the rainbow was done. :)
    Simburian wrote: »
    There was bound to be a problem in colour choice eventually after the rainbow was done. :)

Not really, there are millions of colors to choose from. It wouldn't have been an issue at all.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    Cupid wrote: »

Not really, there are millions of colors to choose from. It wouldn't have been an issue at all.

We don't really need them at all though do we? They all go into the mix for me and there is a way of seeking them out if you want to, choose pack and see all items. I'd rather they spent time on something else.
    @Simburian my point is to do with quick identification and reduced eye strain. I am really not liking the three colours as it slows me down.
    edited July 2019
    Cupid wrote: »

We don't really need them at all though do we?

I must have missed the rule that feedback had to be based on necessity, I guess

There are many topics simply calling the redesign "ugly" and not doing much more than that. This topic on the other hand is pointing out an area where the redesign actually resulted in a loss of convenience and functionality. It's a more than fair point to bring up, whether based on necessity or not.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    @Simburian my point is to do with quick identification and reduced eye strain. I am really not liking the three colours as it slows me down.

I find it easier to choose my pack(s) if wanting specific items as I play on a 17 inch screen and that's easier on my gradually dimming eyesight but if you find your way easier that's ok. You'd have a lot of trouble if you got a choice of @Cupid 's millions of colours though. :D

Happy Simming <3
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    I actually like the new icons. They are now sorted by EP, SP, GP and so on. And it would be helpful as a builder when you only want to use EP's or only want to use GPs for example.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2019
    Just downloaded a mod to fix this. I get my individualized pack icon colors back in Buy/Build, Create A Sim, the gallery, etc and I couldn’t be happier :)
    @Chazzzy that is fantastic would you share with me the mod link please?
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    @Chazzzy that is fantastic would you share with me the mod link please?

Here you go https://thekixgofficial.tumblr.com/post/186357474044/do-you-like-the-new-ui-but-cannot-get-used-to-the
    thank you @chazzzy looks good, just what I needed
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    I also think the new colors are more difficult to tell apart. I understand they had to do something about the EP colors but why couldn't they just settle on recoloring the existing EP icons to one color which is easy to tell apart from existing GP and SP colors and leave those as they were with a colourful background.

I was always annoyed by the similarities of the pack icons in sims 3. So when I first saw the icons in sims 4, they were a big improvement for me. But apparently that was just coincidence. Now the icons are less recognisable and EP and GP are just a different shade of nearly the same colour.