Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gender Preference

Just something I was thinking about last night. Apparently this game has this "Gender Preference" as a hidden feature but what if it was made as an option in CAS?

When a new Sim is created, you get the option of what gender preference they will favour; male, female, both or undecided. For example, if you create a female Sim who only prefers men, they won't be flirting with other women. That doesn't mean they might not end up interested at some point. At the start of the TV series The L Word, Jenny was straight and in a relationship with a man and not once thought of being with another woman. When she meets Marina who's clearly attracted to her, she's not interested at all but over time something developed between them. Maybe this could be a feature in the game?

Now, if you have a female Sim who flirts with other women, after a couple of times the game notices this and asks if you'd like this preference set, so she will only be flirting with other women and no men. I have a female Sim who has numerous other women as lovers so it's strange seeing her in a bar flirting with men when clearly her preference is set in stone.
2quwd7.gif

Comments

• FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    See, that's the only way I'd be cool with a gender preference--if we, the players, could control it. Right now it feels...obstructive, and it actually makes it difficult to play truly bisexual storylines. Like, apparently, the algorithm or whatever takes previous "behavior" into account, but that basically means any sim that's married is virtually un-romanceable by the gender they're not married to. Which means there's a whole bunch of stories (say, a lesbian married to a man for convenience, but then falls for a woman outside of her marriage) aren't really available. Before I could basically just direct my sims to have a certain preference through their actions, or follow their whims and such, and it baffles me that they thought it was okay to take this aspect of the game out of the hands of the player.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    FanPhoria wrote: »
    See, that's the only way I'd be cool with a gender preference--if we, the players, could control it. Right now it feels...obstructive, and it actually makes it difficult to play truly bisexual storylines. Like, apparently, the algorithm or whatever takes previous "behavior" into account, but that basically means any sim that's married is virtually un-romanceable by the gender they're not married to. Which means there's a whole bunch of stories (say, a lesbian married to a man for convenience, but then falls for a woman outside of her marriage) aren't really available. Before I could basically just direct my sims to have a certain preference through their actions, or follow their whims and such, and it baffles me that they thought it was okay to take this aspect of the game out of the hands of the player.

Yes it does, but no they are not un-romanceable. Don't know where you got that from. You can influence that preference by flirting with any male or female sim. The preference influences their autonomous flirting and betters the chance of romantic interactions to succeed for a particular gender, but you still can romance the other one, you just need to put in some more work. If you get them both flirty it's even easier.

I like that we can't see it and I like that it's still player defined. I don't need a "it's this" or "it's that" in CAS, and it works well like this so, if it ain't broke.... This has been a BG system since TS2 days. So honestly don't know what you mean by "before" lol
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I want this.

In the meantime, I downloaded a mod that hides the romance option for Sims of the same gender as my Sim. There was one to do the opposite too. I like this because it keeps the game from turning my Sims bi or gay when I switch to another household to play with someone else.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited July 2019
    I would very much like a gender preference option, and I would like the option to randomise that as well as choose for myself. I liked the chemistry option in Sims 2 because you could direct the traits to what you wanted. For example, if I had a sim choose facial hair as a turn on, I knew they liked men, and if they had makeup as a turn on, they were most likely interested in women. At the same time, there was a random element as well that led to unexpected pairings now and then.
    Post edited by Mariefoxprice83 on
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    FanPhoria wrote: »

Yes it does, but no they are not un-romanceable. Don't know where you got that from. You can influence that preference by flirting with any male or female sim. The preference influences their autonomous flirting and betters the chance of romantic interactions to succeed for a particular gender, but you still can romance the other one, you just need to put in some more work. If you get them both flirty it's even easier.

I like that we can't see it and I like that it's still player defined. I don't need a "it's this" or "it's that" in CAS, and it works well like this so, if it ain't broke.... This has been a BG system since TS2 days. So honestly don't know what you mean by "before" lol

Yeah, but like...that's kind of my issue? Pointing back to my previous example, why would it be "more work" to romance a lesbian in a marriage of convenience with a man? Or, for that matter, a bisexual who was married, but then got divorced or their spouse died or something. There's no reason why the gender of the other sim should factor into how "hard" it is to romance them.

I should just be able to designate sims I want to be truly bisexual, is what I'm saying. I don't want to have to "work at" flirting with them in equal measure from different genders. I just want them to be bisexual.

Also, it's kind of a messed up implication that those with a strong preference for one gender or another just need "more work" put into them. I would actually rather that it be impossible, and we get a notice response flirting saying something like, "Sorry, I'm not into guys" or something like that.

Again, I just want to able to designate and control the characters of my sims. I want to be able to say "this sim is bisexual" or "this sim is gay" or "this sim is straight" and have that stick. The game doesn't know what stories I'm telling and shouldn't be in control like that. If it's an option to have it game designated, that's fine, it should be an option, not a universal.

And again, the idea that a character could be a "lesbian" sim...but still will sleep with a male sim if that sim just "works hard" at romancing her enough makes me actively queasy.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I'd very much like that. I don't like how currently any sim (including married sims) can flirt with anyone and have no way to set a preference for who you don't want them flirting with.
  • JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    I would also like to have the gender preference option in CAS as well. :)
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    It would have been a nice touch to include choosing gender preference in CAS during that pride update.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I would like to be able to control gender preference too. I would like personalities/chemistry/romance to be developed further generally though. Also a loyal trait or something like that would be welcome. Soulmates should live up to that and not flirt with just anyone, even if they are the gender they prefer. Or perhaps I'm just a control freak. :D
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I want this feature, I have been using MCCC off and on, and when I click on a sim it lets me maintain them (one of the commands) and pick their gender preference and the number for it, but I would rather have an actual feature in the game that allows us to pick, not them.
  • PrincessAmyPrincessAmy Posts: 225 Member
    I absolutely agree with this!

I think we should all be able to choose the sexuality of our Sims, many of us like making Simselfs, or very complex stories.. and these things are important.

For example when I create a Simself.. I want her to be the most accurate she can be to me.. I want to play a Sim that is the same as me.. and when my Sim goes to flirt with all the girls or is happy being flirted to by one.. well.. it definitely stops being what I would do and feel haha and when I play stories I want my Sim to follow the story I gave for them..

I really want this to be a feature.. I hope it becomes one
  • MaedMaed Posts: 33 Member
    With the rest of the gender settings that we already have, I feel like they should add this in as well. I personally don't want the game attempting to guess what my sim's preference would be, when instead I could easily select it for myself and avoid undesired interactions when the game's guess doesn't match with what I had in mind.