Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which existing packs could be expanded?

EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
edited August 2019 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
If the developers were to revisit an existing pack, which addition would you fully be okay with paying extra for ($10 to $15?)

To clarify: most of the packs we got have some elements which could be expanded.

My first pet was a disaster because it had furniture and outfits noticeably made to be part of Cats & Dogs but left out, and a guinea pig which could have been part of the pack, or saved to be part of a small pets game pack/stuff pack that's a standalone from Cats & Dogs for those that only want birds, snakes, lizards etc.

My question is: would you be willing to accept that some packs require that you own base game+an EP to add more gameplay to that pack? Can the devs revisit a previous theme from those I listed (or something else) that would be a justified extra purchase?

EDIT: By "travel worlds", I meant destination worlds.
Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
Post edited by Eliharb on

Which existing packs could be expanded? 131 votes

Adding buildable apartments (City Living)
29%
Frn0731aprilroselisamwittdanacnbrettSimburianCynnaalejandro15039KalaniCooltaydevFroilTurloughdudeSakuske1SummerStreakbizuktagInternal_ChaosEnkiSchmidtSnaveXsEliharbJbeanAuronoiChieftain 38 votes
Adding surfing gameplay to beaches
2%
Bagoas77ChadSims2godfatheroz2 3 votes
Adding underwater gameplay like scuba diving in TS3
8%
SerenityRulesalanmichael1AngelluluHestiaJep_VingoJultan3Gecko420RavenSpitLightningSparxRememberJoyDiamondPandaDP 11 votes
Adding transportation (planes, boats, train rides) to "travel" packs instead of just teleporting to a travel world magically.
9%
wrenstaleslindaatjuhSimzilla_7mikaBiggieCheeseLauri_AntonPatriceizecsonolvrbsncrazysimmerrCHDraaijer_000key 12 votes
Adding small pets (snakes, birds, iguanas etc.) to expand Cats & Dogs
9%
Martinvashcrash19annaliese39happyopiTodilooListentoToppDoggDreamCytcheramber_ilumireCleverFoalk_orourke1314L33tP33tNWAmyxrosesluv_aamberr 13 votes
Full Music Career (performing in small pubs, recording, to eventually do Concerts). Ties in with the celebrity system.
19%
luthienrisingbloodydarkanglCynel1mariajane216barbiegoestadeoalonso2Spudders_86Sigzy05YBNS2468SimKonfettiBhawkins0402poltergeistGamingTweetyJayGloverZzMANzZWolfiumPreCiiousBecka28RouensimsMaddieplaysgames 26 votes
Other
21%
jwatsonTiarellafriendlysimmersBabykittyjadeGracieO312FreechheitnightfalltwenMasonGamerdomina89LSM36Simtown15FanPhoriaofDDChazzzyddd994GrumpyGlowfishJordan061102Vivi_WillowTreeAmandèleDianesims 28 votes

Comments

• Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    Other
    None--because imo most of these should have been part of the relevant packs, as in many cases they were in TS3.

Note C&D already has its own stuff-pack, and was reportedly the lowest-selling of the stuff-packs due to the backlash against having DLC for DLC.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Tiarella wrote: »
    Note C&D already has its own stuff-pack, and was reportedly the lowest-selling of the stuff-packs due to the backlash against having DLC for DLC.
    Was it ? There was backlash from knowing players but there was also a big marketing operation and last I checked it was one of the bestsellers of stuff packs, like 4th or so.

I don't remember celeb adverts for any other stuff packs.
  • Options
    Other
    @happyopi - I defer to you, then! I remember reading that it hadn't sold well, but that was simply an assertion I read several times on this forum.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Full Music Career (performing in small pubs, recording, to eventually do Concerts). Ties in with the celebrity system.
    Tiarella wrote: »
    None--because imo most of these should have been part of the relevant packs, as in many cases they were in TS3.

There are no actual sales figures for the packs. We don't know what place it is in or was in. We do know that according to Graham (or was it Grant?) that it did well, not the best, but not the worst.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Other
    :tongue: Y'all want me to correct that statement with an edit, or are you content with having done so yourselves? 'Cuz it's probably derailing the thread a bit, & that'd be unfortunate.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    @Tiarella I mean I also wanted that pack to bomb, but there's no bad reputation a heavy dose of marketing can't counter unfortunately.

We're never getting them, but I want birds and reptiles, treated with more care than the rodents and rodent adjacent we had in MFP. So not a random plastic cage unfit for the small pet in there.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I voted music career but it's not really an expansion to anything.

It should be it's own pack where sims can make bands, play on stages similarly to showtime, and there could be a band perk system (with GF obviously they should get fame by performing together at venues). I read somewhere that in actuality bands and it's perk system was initially going to be part of Get Together but it was either scrapped or put on hold. But I'd like if sims could form bands again, and there could be activities in GT that relate to bands like "jam together" and things like that.

8c3c138f96c4e9c026c5aa1abf5282a3.jpg
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Other
    I hear you, @happyopi! I've belonged to a flock since I left my parents' home (meaning I've owned parrots all my adult life), & would like to have parrots in-game that were more than the objects they were in TS3. I'm not sure it's really possible, though, & I'm not expecting it to happen. But parrots have personalities, just like cats, dogs, reptiles, and just about everything living that's not a plant. (I'm not sure about insects, but I've read stories about crickets & cockroaches kept as pets, whose owners swore they had personalities, so....okay.)

eta: @Sigzy05 -- if it were fleshed out as fully as the vamp-pack was fleshed out, that could be fun! But a game-pack, rather than a stuff-pack. :smile:
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Of those options, I want C&D to be expanded on with not only with more small pets, but also the doghouses we should have gotten, but couldn't because one guru didn't like them. I'd also like to see more breeds added if possible (though I doubt it would happen). I don't like that the pack is so biased to big dogs. I'd like to see Chinese Cresteds and Toy Poodles added. For cats, I wish they'd add Munchkins and American Curls. I'm surprised that such popular breeds didn't make it into the pack.

That said, it SHOULDN'T be something we need to pay for, but a free update.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited July 2019
    Other
    Get to Work
    Allowing Scientists to invent more gadgets and gizmos and experiments that is not strictly geared towards Aliens, but Vampires, and soon Mystics.
    New crimes and mysteries to Solve for Detectives.
    and New inflictions for doctors to cure.

Get Famous
    Initially What I was hoping for was Singing and Acting to be the Main two careers.
    I think had Singing been a well thought out career, I would have purchased Get Famous.
    and being a Celebrity, Having to worm your way to achieve that so called "Glamorous Life" and what goes on behind the scenes as well as on camera.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited July 2019
    Adding buildable apartments (City Living)
    More lots in general would also be nice. The one world we have with empty lots, doesn't have very many. Although, I wouldn't want to pay more for it, that kind of stuff seems like it should be an update. If it was a paid pack, it would have to add something major- like placing lots wherever you want or something.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Other
    I really want them to expand parenthood and add more children interactions and family in general. Playing spin the bottle and tag and dancing (actually dancing together) cuddling with the kids, hide and seek etc etc.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    Other
    Other because I need my Supernatural fix. I don't think we should have to pay for them to fix apartments, or to open up the ocean world.
    I've got literal threads about what they could do with opened up oceans, and world changes.

Like literally:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17164491#Comment_17164491

However, I would pay for the Music add-on. The rest of that should be free updated content. We've already shelled out hundreds on the games, don't try to milk us for more. Especially not when it's for stuff you had made the decision to take away in the first place, foolish though the idea was.

Like toddlers.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Other
    Seriously, just revamp the babies and toss em in Parenthood.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    sofasimsofasim Posts: 128 Member
    Other
    I think they could all be expanded and due to the recent update and them taking out paid items to make them basegame, I think it'd only be fair if they would add new features to existing packs for free.
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Other
    I voted ‘Other’ because I honestly want them to update everything! Specifically underwater gameplay and music career
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited July 2019
    Other
    All of them are lacking and should be expanded for free, because why spend extra money on features that should have been there from the getgo?

Get To Work: Let us open businesses at home, and own more than just retail stores, like... restaurants. Seriously, why is Dine Out a separate pack? Never understood that. I could easily look past Magnolia Promenade being so tiny and uninteresting if the pack had all those other features like its predecessor TS2: Open for Business did, even though I still wish we had gotten an editable Sixam-themed alien world instead of that glorified Newcrest neighbourhood.

Get Together: For being basically the only new gameplay feature introduced, you'd expect the club system to be a lot more elaborate. More club icons to choose from, more than 8 possible members, and the option to set a time for weekly club meetings would already go a long way.

City Living: As suggested by the poll, building our own apartments would make a huge difference, especially since you can't use anything from this pack other than the CAS and BB items outside of San Myshuno.

Cats & Dogs: Ugh, where do I even start... Let's just say I'd like more things to do with my pets than just styling them in CAS. I personally don't even care anymore that rodents are being sold separately, even having them in the EP wouldn't change the fact that the cats and dogs, the main feature of the pack if you couldn't tell by its name, are boring as hell. And while I don't buy the old "We had to make sacrifices to bring you the vet career" excuse (because the vet career is just a recycled doctor career from GTW), I'll never get over the fact that they sacrificed pet jobs, animal shows and small animals for a million different pet diseases and golden poop. Let that sink in for a minute.

Seasons: My favourite EP and the most complete in my opinion, I only have minor gripes with it like bee-keeping being relationship-based rather than a skill. If I could add one thing to it, it would be a world with a cold climate and snow all year, because we don't have that at the moment, and even if we ever get it in a future pack, it won't be the same without the weather and temperature effects for players who don't own Seasons.

Get Famous: When you hear "celebrity", I bet the people that immediately come to your mind are actors and singers, so there should be a proper singing career as well. It doesn't even have to be as elaborate as acting, I would be fine with a career like the ones from the City Living where you can either send the singer to a rabbit hole or fulfil a few tasks, which in this case means going somewhere public and giving a concert. The option to play in a band, or at least have one sim sing to the music played by another sim, would also be great. Granted, this would require Singing to become a base game skill, but reserving that for City Living was a stupid idea to begin with.

Island Living: Haven't played it yet, but from what I hear, players seem to be disappointed with almost everything about this pack that isn't the visuals. Personally, I wish the volcano was interactive, but then again, I wasn't even expecting a volcano in the first place, so that might be a moot point.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Other
    Buildable appartements, transportations (cars), underwater gameplay/scuba diving, horses and livestock.
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Other
    10 to 15 bucks? No way for any of these. Maybe 5. But paying extra for things that should have been included in the (already inflated) original price? Um, no thank you.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    All of them are lacking and should be expanded for free, because why spend extra money on features that should have been there from the getgo?

Get To Work: Let us open businesses at home, and own more than just retail stores, like... restaurants. Seriously, why is Dine Out a separate pack? Never understood that. I could easily look past Magnolia Promenade being so tiny and uninteresting if the pack had all those other features like its predecessor TS2: Open for Business did, even though I still wish we had gotten an editable Sixam-themed alien world instead of that glorified Newcrest neighbourhood.

Get Together: For being basically the only new gameplay feature introduced, you'd expect the club system to be a lot more elaborate. More club icons to choose from, more than 8 possible members, and the option to set a time for weekly club meetings would already go a long way.

City Living: As suggested by the poll, building our own apartments would make a huge difference, especially since you can't use anything from this pack other than the CAS and BB items outside of San Myshuno.

Cats & Dogs: Ugh, where do I even start... Let's just say I'd like more things to do with my pets than just styling them in CAS. I personally don't even care anymore that rodents are being sold separately, even having them in the EP wouldn't change the fact that the cats and dogs, the main feature of the pack if you couldn't tell by its name, are boring as hell. And while I don't buy the old "We had to make sacrifices to bring you the vet career" excuse (because the vet career is just a recycled doctor career from GTW), I'll never get over the fact that they sacrificed pet jobs, animal shows and small animals for a million different pet diseases and golden poop. Let that sink in for a minute.

Seasons: My favourite EP and the most complete in my opinion, I only have minor gripes with it like bee-keeping being relationship-based rather than a skill. If I could add one thing to it, it would be a world with a cold climate and snow all year, because we don't have that at the moment, and even if we ever get it in a future pack, it won't be the same without the weather and temperature effects for players who don't own Seasons.

Get Famous: When you hear "celebrity", I bet the people that immediately come to your mind are actors and singers, so there should be a proper singing career as well. It doesn't even have to be as elaborate as acting, I would be fine with a career like the ones from the City Living where you can either send the singer to a rabbit hole or fulfil a few tasks, which in this case means going somewhere public and giving a concert. The option to play in a band, or at least have one sim sing to the music played by another sim, would also be great. Granted, this would require Singing to become a base game skill, but reserving that for City Living was a stupid idea to begin with.

Island Living: Haven't played it yet, but from what I hear, players seem to be disappointed with almost everything about this pack that isn't the visuals. Personally, I wish the volcano was interactive, but then again, I wasn't even expecting a volcano in the first place, so that might be a moot point.

The restaurant system is part of Dine Out period.

But they could patch the retail system. Fixing it would be the best since celebrity costumers can't be interacted with retail interactions. Beyond that they could, add the business stars from Dine Out to retail, add costumer loyalty, add the shopping bag animation, add escalator stairs, add more objects to display and sell harvestables, add changing room objects for sims to use while trying out clothes, etc.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    tHe_silent_HtHe_silent_H Posts: 28 Member
    I think it would be better if instead of a sale next time, they instead did EP updates, the benefit is twofold: first it makes existing owners happy and not feel left out(buying a pack 2 days before it goes on sale!), second it increase the value of the pack making fence sitters much more likely to buy it(i would buy IL but it just feels lackluster)
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    edited July 2019
    Other
    If they were to ''expand'' existing pack by updating we shouldn't have to pay for it
    its really that simple :confused: you don't ''pay extra'' for something you should have already had

it should be free updates or features should be included in other pack that does not require the existing packs
    in which case it would make sense to pay for them if you want them

options you listed:

(City Living) Adding buildable apartments

this is something that has to be updated if they ever make it a thing it can't be pack feature for other pack
    because apartments are big feature of CL and I don't see them in other pack nor would I be paying extra for just that feature

(IL) Adding surfing gameplay to beaches
    Adding underwater gameplay like scuba diving

tricky ones because it all depends if Sulani is going to be only world with open water
    if so underwater can only be free update because you'd need open water to be going underwater

but if they decide open water is not only IL feature then I can see another pack for underwater and different aesthetics like pirates or something

surfing could be possible to put in other pack than IL because they could add a sort of object you could do surfing on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UatxDLL_mXw

like in ts2

in this way I can see it as part of other pack and that they would just add option to do it in open water area as well if u have both packs (except that there isn't really any big waves to be speaking about so idk?)

Adding transportation (planes, boats, train rides) to "travel" packs instead of just teleporting to a travel world magically.

added cars and planes and such would make a whole pack it wouldn't be ''part of a pack''
    unless what you are talking about is just updated loading screens which in itself is not something to pay for

its called cats and dogs for a reason
    either those are base game update or another pack side feature if added
    and I wouldn't put any money on them as stand alone feature

Full Music Career (performing in small pubs, recording, to eventually do Concerts). Ties in with the celebrity system

this is also material for other pack that has nothing to do with get famous as a whole

i can see gp or ep centering around bands or performances in general such as concerts, show magic and such
    if you didn't have get famous you'd just do those things without ''getting famous''

overall its a free update or feature in other pack that should not in any way require one of these packs to work
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    edited July 2019
    Other
    Also just to be clear I am all in for free updates on any of the packs
    I think all of them need some things added there is no perfect expansion up to date not since ts2
    its just I don't think its fair to charge players more to update things

and some of those clearly can be part of any pack not just the packs that already exist
    and some deserve their own packs or even have more suitable pack to be included in

also feel the overall putting things to base game after we bought expansion for it
    needs to be compensated by adding things to expansions to make up for those things
    that were taken to base game

for example since photography is now not only GTW feature
    they should add something to GTW to fill that hole
    would prefer it to be extra career or skill.

get together fire dance was put in IL
    you should add something to get together since that is a double buy of exact same feature

also the clothes that were taken out of some of the packs should be compensated with new clothes
    meaning if you take jacket from get famous you put new jacket in get famous
    (or well it doesn't have to be jacket but something that is not smaller add than the previous object was)
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I went for small pets because I would love some cute little critters in my game, but I would actually also really love to see underwater gameplay and bands/music (with smaller pianos please). I really want transport too with a mechanic career, but if this comes in a patch then even better!
  • Options
    cyanpark47cyanpark47 Posts: 5 New Member
    Just updating packs would be better for those who already own it instead of having to buy a brand new one. I just wish they would expand on "Get Famous". I thought the pack was a great idea but I wish it included a singing career where you can start off with small gigs and build up to being a superstar. They could also add in the TV Personality career, allow people to create bands (rock bands, girl/boy bands). Especially with how music is today and TV I think it would be a good investment.