August 22 - It's patch day for The Sims 4 on console! Read the patch notes here.
August 23 - Ready for the Friday Highlight? Check it out here!
August 15 - We have updated the forum rules. Learn more here.

#PlayWithLife - Your stories!

Comments

  • pegasusventricepegasusventrice Posts: 45 Member
    I started playing with Sims 2 and it was to escape a bad childhood that I was experiencing. I found strength in realizing that there are some families that actually thrive and can function closer to what I was seeing on TV as the dream family. It wasn't perfect, but neither is life.
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 223 Member
    I wasn't talking about the game but specifically about this new campaign. The video has a bunch of diverse young people and talks about why they play the Sims. But in my opinion they should have added some older people. As diverse as it is in many ways, the lack of older people is a shame.
    Because this is one of the most diverse games when it comes to players and older people are a big part of the game fan base.

    @AlbaWaterhouse We - older players - don't seem to matter to them anymore. I think all Maxis cares about currently is marketing to/catering to the Tumblr crowd, which is why their recent redesigned cover completely cut out anyone older than the Young Adult life stage. It's both a shame and a slap in the face, in my opinion.

  • MelissaStarbeesMelissaStarbees Posts: 1,389 Member
    i been playing sims for awhile now it relaxes me. i suffer from bad anxiety and i find the sims calm me down when i feel like im close to an attack or if i get stressed out. i feel in control. i love creating sims and making their homes. i love that i can create my old dog that i miss so dearly. the sims been there through my roughest times
    tumblr_nzm7yjyadB1qcrr5qo1_400.gif
    gotta love them lambo twins
    Been simming since the end of sims 2~
    Sims Gallery ID: Starbees


  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,115 Member
    I’m sure someone worked hard on this video and thought it was a good idea, but the question “why do you play Sims” literally isn’t being answered. They are talking about how this game provides a safe space for them to “express themselves and be who they really are” outside of their real life. Yeah, it’s 2019 do that in the real world and not behind a computer screen, like everyone else.

    Stick to making games please. These dramatic, heavily scripted videos aren’t good, at all. It could have been a fun video until it turned into something that borderlines propaganda IMO. Unpopular opinion, but that’s how it feels to me. Not sincere at all, and very hand picked to get specific messages across to specific groups of people.

    I agree.

    Very telling as well they only wanted Simmers under 25 to participate.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 4,461 Member
    edited July 19
    All toxicity gets you is getting blocked on Twitter or a ban on here and from what I've seen it doesn't often refer to the subject in hand anyway. I expect lots don't even get to the account holder these days, being blocked for evermore by the account holder clicking to block a toxic tweet at the first one. (like ignore here).

    As for Elders and the game not being aimed at them nowadays ...why should the young have all the fun? I am probably one of the oldest here but don't mind in the slightest that adverts are being aimed at teens and young adults. I play Sims games anyway for my own enjoyment.

    All I would ask is a better range of clothing, less dying from embarrassment, and better collection of tombstones plus with a cemetary for when my elders eventually die. :)
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 386 Member
    edited July 19
    Being adult means being... well, adult :)
    Which means understanding of how life works, how marketing works, how things often affect other things indirectly.
    For a game to be developed further on, the game must sell well, for a game to be sold it must be presented to the buyer in an attractive form.
    What the point of advertizing a game to someone who already has it?
    No need to feel offended or excluded, we are just not the target audience here :)
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 4,068 Member
    edited July 19
    Morkovka wrote: »
    Being adult means being... well, adult :)
    Which means understanding of how life works, how marketing works, how things often affect other things indirectly.
    For a game to be developed further on, the game must sell well, for a game to be sold it must be presented to the buyer in an attractive form.
    What the point of advertizing a game to someone who already has it?
    No need to feel offended or excluded, we are just not the target audience here :)

    Because the game is ongoing. If they want people other than college freshmen to buy these additional packs, they need to come correct and learn balance. They’re leaning too far into the preteen category as of late. I for one do not want to see so much whimsy because I like to play pretty realistically. I’d take the “Ambitious” trait over “Dance Machine” any day, for example.
    Origin & Gallery : ChazzzyGOAT | Simblr : ChazzzyGOAT
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 386 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Because the game is ongoing. If they want people other than college freshmen to buy these additional packs, they need to come correct and learn balance. They’re leaning too far into the preteen category as of late. I for one do not want to see so much whimsy because I like to play pretty realistically. I’d take the “Ambitious” trait over “Dance Machine” any day, for example.
    Good example, valid point of view, still just one point of view out of many.
    I don't dare judge the tendency or the reaction to it because I'm awfully late in the series - there is no smoke without fire after all.
    I just don't mind this specific piece of marketing even through all of its obvious shortcomings - it serves its purpose.

  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 4,461 Member
    I’m sure someone worked hard on this video and thought it was a good idea, but the question “why do you play Sims” literally isn’t being answered. They are talking about how this game provides a safe space for them to “express themselves and be who they really are” outside of their real life. Yeah, it’s 2019 do that in the real world and not behind a computer screen, like everyone else.

    Stick to making games please. These dramatic, heavily scripted videos aren’t good, at all. It could have been a fun video until it turned into something that borderlines propaganda IMO. Unpopular opinion, but that’s how it feels to me. Not sincere at all, and very hand picked to get specific messages across to specific groups of people.

    Why do you play the Sims? Most of the videos and these replying here do want to have a world to play with that is in their own imagination and not in the 'real' world of 2019. We seem to have lost all control of what happens in our real world, it is all stress and worry whatever age you are.

    “Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.” Mark Twain :)
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,224 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I’m sure someone worked hard on this video and thought it was a good idea, but the question “why do you play Sims” literally isn’t being answered. They are talking about how this game provides a safe space for them to “express themselves and be who they really are” outside of their real life. Yeah, it’s 2019 do that in the real world and not behind a computer screen, like everyone else.

    Stick to making games please. These dramatic, heavily scripted videos aren’t good, at all. It could have been a fun video until it turned into something that borderlines propaganda IMO. Unpopular opinion, but that’s how it feels to me. Not sincere at all, and very hand picked to get specific messages across to specific groups of people.

    Why do you play the Sims? Most of the videos and these replying here do want to have a world to play with that is in their own imagination and not in the 'real' world of 2019. We seem to have lost all control of what happens in our real world, it is all stress and worry whatever age you are.

    “Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.” Mark Twain :)

    Agreed. The whole entire point of the Sims is that we are creating our own worlds and "living" in them :) I think if some people find strength and positivity through expressing themselves in the Sims then it's a very good thing @Simburian
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,362 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about the game but specifically about this new campaign. The video has a bunch of diverse young people and talks about why they play the Sims. But in my opinion they should have added some older people. As diverse as it is in many ways, the lack of older people is a shame.
    Because this is one of the most diverse games when it comes to players and older people are a big part of the game fan base.

    @AlbaWaterhouse We - older players - don't seem to matter to them anymore. I think all Maxis cares about currently is marketing to/catering to the Tumblr crowd, which is why their recent redesigned cover completely cut out anyone older than the Young Adult life stage. It's both a shame and a slap in the face, in my opinion.

    I did notice that, yes, and it made me a little sad.
    But then again, I know us old people...you know, the ones that were on geocities back in the day and installed Windows 95 from one million floppy disks...we aren't considered the most lucrative market. I think we're supposed to be going on cruises and weaving macramé. :D
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 4,461 Member
    edited July 19
    belpita wrote: »
    bizuktag wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about the game but specifically about this new campaign. The video has a bunch of diverse young people and talks about why they play the Sims. But in my opinion they should have added some older people. As diverse as it is in many ways, the lack of older people is a shame.
    Because this is one of the most diverse games when it comes to players and older people are a big part of the game fan base.

    @AlbaWaterhouse We - older players - don't seem to matter to them anymore. I think all Maxis cares about currently is marketing to/catering to the Tumblr crowd, which is why their recent redesigned cover completely cut out anyone older than the Young Adult life stage. It's both a shame and a slap in the face, in my opinion.

    I did notice that, yes, and it made me a little sad.
    But then again, I know us old people...you know, the ones that were on geocities back in the day and installed Windows 95 from one million floppy disks...we aren't considered the most lucrative market. I think we're supposed to be going on cruises and weaving macramé. :D

    Elders got quite far on SimGuruDoi's SimsTheamMadness poll and we have already have Islands with Magic coming later this year that reached further so there is hope. I don't mind waiting until after Farming or Universities which beat us too.
    (I've still got those Windows 95 floppies. I was so disappointed at the tiny video screen. How things have changed!) :)
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,760 Member
    The hatred surrounging this game is so tiresome and draining. It's just like everything else in this world though I guess, nothing but another thing for people to attack/hate and be mad over.

    The comments under the video on that popular video hosting site are just mentally draining and sound like a bunch of miserable people who enjoy negativity. I personally steer clear of that platform and I also choose to steer clear of most sims discussions from now on.

    I looked at the comments and honestly, 95% of it is people talking about how they dislike the rebrand and are wishing for bug fixes/a better game. Most people aren't even being rude about it...just saying.

    Anyway, I play the Sims because it's fun. I like creating different sims and seeing what they get up to/how they live their lives. There's no deeper meaning in it for me :)

    Im not the only one that thought that response to that video was highly toxic either, since I only went to watch it (I had no clue there even was a new Ad) because a tumblr page that I frequent shared a tweet about it @xitneverendss I personally saw a ton of super negative comments that I personally thought were very non constructive. Maybe you are part of the crowd that agrees with that sentiment so you don't mind that??? It doesn't matter much to me either way, like I said, I don't watch frequent that video hosting platform. But feel free to not be bothered by it. i personally hate toxic people and spaces.

    I saw what you wrote before you felt the need to edit your comment. I'm not defending anything. Just stating a fact. If you feel that people stating their reasons for disliking something and wanting improvements is toxic, that's unfortunate. Because that is how games become better. You say you hate "toxic" people and spaces, but I've seen you commenting on quite a few negative feedback posts and well..this forum, in general, has a lot of negative feedback. But to each their own. And yeah, I do agree with the youtube comments, but I don't see how that's relevant?

    Anyway, moving on as to not further derail this thread.
  • LordGaliousLordGalious Posts: 534 Member
    I like the sims because I can do what I want with it; such as the Reincarnation challenge and also I like to sometimes control the townies and have drama happen, soap operas are fun, helps with boredom; I kinda wish the AI would cause it themselves while I eat my popcorn in amusement but whatever. lol

    However I am very grateful that they added first person into the game, I've been enjoying it ever since. :D
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right here!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/959444/the-reincarnation-challenge#latest
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 3,247 Member
    I’m sure someone worked hard on this video and thought it was a good idea, but the question “why do you play Sims” literally isn’t being answered. They are talking about how this game provides a safe space for them to “express themselves and be who they really are” outside of their real life. Yeah, it’s 2019 do that in the real world and not behind a computer screen, like everyone else.

    ...
    ...
    ...You were a bully in school, right?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 13,201 Member
    I don't feel the least bit offended that they're marketing to a specific generation. Not offended with the video, nor the updated box art. I've been playing the game for 20 years. There's no need to direct their marketing campaign at me. I don't need to see an elder sim on the box, I know I can make one in game. Along with toddlers, children, teens, and adults.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 3,033 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about the game but specifically about this new campaign. The video has a bunch of diverse young people and talks about why they play the Sims. But in my opinion they should have added some older people. As diverse as it is in many ways, the lack of older people is a shame.
    Because this is one of the most diverse games when it comes to players and older people are a big part of the game fan base.

    @AlbaWaterhouse We - older players - don't seem to matter to them anymore. I think all Maxis cares about currently is marketing to/catering to the Tumblr crowd, which is why their recent redesigned cover completely cut out anyone older than the Young Adult life stage. It's both a shame and a slap in the face, in my opinion.

    I agree, not because I'm older, but because I'm younger. Teens and children aren't really represented in the game very well either.
    pridefi.jpg?resize=1000%2C400&ssl=1
    Support The LGBTQ Community
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 3,033 Member
    I’m sure someone worked hard on this video and thought it was a good idea, but the question “why do you play Sims” literally isn’t being answered. They are talking about how this game provides a safe space for them to “express themselves and be who they really are” outside of their real life. Yeah, it’s 2019 do that in the real world and not behind a computer screen, like everyone else.

    Stick to making games please. These dramatic, heavily scripted videos aren’t good, at all. It could have been a fun video until it turned into something that borderlines propaganda IMO. Unpopular opinion, but that’s how it feels to me. Not sincere at all, and very hand picked to get specific messages across to specific groups of people.

    Listen, not everyone feels like they are free to express themselves, even today. I feel unsure about whether or not I should let me be me at school, around town, or anywhere in the real world. So just back off and let these people who actually CAN'T freely express themselves because of lack of confidence or whatever.
    pridefi.jpg?resize=1000%2C400&ssl=1
    Support The LGBTQ Community
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 83 Member
    To answer the original question, I play the sims for its diversity, and continued support of LGBT+ content. I just read an article today on PC Gamer (here) about how the first sims devs really wanted to code in LGBT+ relationships, despite some concern on how EA would react. The programmer who implemented it basically said those against it should 'grow up' among other, strongly worded things, much to the agreement of other team members, and I found this stance really heart-warming. The fact that Maxis have kept their opinions pro LGBT+ from the beginning (despite perceived risks) is really important to me, as there are so many companies who only change their opinions when it begins to affect their bottom line.

    I've got mixed feelings about this ad though (not sure if I'm able to say my age, but for the record, I'm 25). I really, really love seeing the diversity, and am a strong supporter of diverse casting choices for commercials, but think they played it a bit too safe in regards to age. I understand the risk of marketing too old (wouldn't want to alienate 'the youths' after all ;)), but I think they could've managed to sneak in one heartwarming story of an older player (eg. mum and son use the sims to bond with each other, grandpa uses sims to plan dream home for grandma etc.).

    I think it would be smart to show some support towards older players, generally because we have full-time jobs, therefore full-time pay, and are the ones more likely to afford dlc on launch day. The same can be said for teens too, both in terms of in-game content and in the ad, because while they might not work full-time, it's always good to get an age-group invested early.

    While the ad was okay in showing people of diverse body shapes, it would be nice if marketing in other areas (such as the game covers) would reflect this too.
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 223 Member
    I called myself "an older player" because I'm not 21 anymore and I've played since the days of Sims 1. I'm not an elder, either, but I still think they should be represented, as should the other life stages you can play as - including toddlers and kids. They just haven't designed this game with them in mind from the very beginning, sadly.

    If EA wants to decide their core/target audience is teenagers, and market only to them, that's their prerogative. I think it's also, unfortunately, reflected in a lot of their choices regarding the DLC pack content they've made. But why shouldn't they continue to market to me and every other longtime player, or players who are adults, or elders? They aren't guaranteed my money just because I have a history with the franchise.
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 94 Member
    Thanks for the Video

    ''Be who you want''

    The Sims is a great game, but it's still... a game and fictional. I feel like this Video is a reminder that it takes a worrysome path where you loose reality sometimes espacially for the younger audience.
    But thats just me, Who doesnt play the game to BE someone else and doesnt play as my simself to live vacriously through the sims, while having a mansion, beeing married to will smith and have a perfect life. But i get the appeal out of it.
    Dont forget to live your life outside of the sims and make the best out of it in every Situation, thats it.
  • Aliciadestiny91Aliciadestiny91 Posts: 10 New Member
    This video is like wow! I love it!

    I play the sims since the first game ever, I was like 9 or 10 and my parents just got divorced. I wasn't very happy back in the days and I found the sims and it was for me a way to escape to a world of my own. I litterly stayed at home from school to play the sims haha. And since then it was always an escape for me. When I was 13 I ended up in fostercare etc and I'm happy I was able to play the game throught all of this times. Now I'm almost 28 and it's still my escape from life. And ofcourse just to have a little fun in life! :D
  • Hyper_KeyHyper_Key Posts: 16 Member
    I really don't like how fake this video feels.
    For me it started in 2006 with sims 2. I was obsessed with that game, played it hours on end without even a break in between.
    My life was okay, i wasn't afflicted with anything and i just enjoyed playing it.

    Sims 3 was largely ignored by me until 2012 when i decided i could afford it, and looked into it. It was cool for a while, until bugs and other issues became very present. I switched back to sims 2 eventually.

    I made the switch to 4 pretty much the second it was announced. I even pre-ordered it. Which i regret to this day.

    Sims was fun. it stayed with me through all of me teenage and adult years. Through many hardships and many many conflicts.
    But sims 4 showed me that you shouldn't beat a dead horse. And I'll be hopping off the band-waggon soon.
    Those 13 years were fun, now it's time to move on to a game where the publisher cares more about their customers and focuses on making the game playable, and not give us a garbled mess of something that is almost the right thing, but never really is.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited July 20
    they only wanted Simmers under 25 to participate.

    That's pretty plum. They would do better to promote a message that the game is for all ages from, say, early teens to pensioners. Sure, when I was a kid in the 90s, there was a general view that games were only for kids and teens (skewed in favour of boys) but these days so many people play games from all walks and stages of life. A while back I read about an older lady who started streaming her Skyrim games and is now known as Skyrim Grandma. If that's not good promotional material to show how inclusive games can be, I don't know what is!
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 4,461 Member
    If I were EA I would now advertise for the next age level to come forward for this feature and then the next. By the time Elders videos came out those younger people would be hooked anyway! Just a suggestion. @SimGuruLyndsay :)

    I wouldn't like to do a video myself, too unphotogenic. We might get a lot more attention to elders in Realm of Magic though. Think of all those elderly witches (also wizards I hope). B)
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top