Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Paralives & Sims 4

Comments

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    New Halloween video!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3G1kvPS7Nk

And Alex is looking for a 3D artist and animator in Montreal. :smiley: Looks like he's expanding
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • lilleefslilleefs Posts: 52 Member
    Agreeing with people who are saying the competition is good, EA are too content with being the only gameplayers in the life-sim genre. Paralives might not be the next sims for some but it’s undeniably amazing how much work is being put into it out of pure passion to make a great game - something it seems is long forgotten at EA.
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    Must say I'm really impressed with how malleable the building and furnishing features are. It will be interesting to see how the characters interact with these objects seamlessly. The Sims series has held onto the grid system for dear life all this time.

I also love how flexible this lot design feature is. I could have a lot of fun with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Bsg7zrxmw
    1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Anyways, good luck to the game, EA will just claim IP violation as the game does not match the Sims 4, but it is simular to the Sims 3 and 2. The open world concept belongs and is copyrighted by EA so is doll house simulator orginal name of The Sims game before release. EA will wait until released. There is no way they will make poeple that can avoid the hunger bladder, energy and fun needs, this also belows to EA IP.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    For anyone concerned about the art style, Alex has already told people on the Discord what software to use to make their own, seeing as it will have workshop support on Steam. Don't like the graphics? Overhauls will be possible.

So I have to make MY OWN graphics because "Alex" won't? What kind of half-baked plum is that?

Graphics are secondary anyway. You don't buy a game to LOOK at it, you buy a game to PLAY it. A focus on looks over gameplay was an issue people complained about with The Sims 4 before it even came out and it's still complained about to this day, with Island Living being the best recent example.

Also, if you think having to make your own graphics because you don't like given ones is terrible, imagine having to fix bugs, memory leaks and glitches because the developers won't.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited November 2019
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I think it is poor form to be advertising this here, tbh.

Instead of wanting everything to be an “echo-chamber -Sims 4 is good everything is OK. everything is perfectly fine here, How are you, nothing to see here, move along; Move along!” maybe EA should consider Paralives as a “challenge” to step up their game and produce something better or did Cities :Skylines vs SimCity fiasco not teach them anything?!! The excuses “we can’t do this because it hasn’t been done before” are getting tiring.

FIND A WAY!
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    Anyways, good luck to the game, EA will just claim IP violation as the game does not match the Sims 4, but it is simular to the Sims 3 and 2. The open world concept belongs and is copyrighted by EA so is doll house simulator orginal name of The Sims game before release. EA will wait until released. There is no way they will make poeple that can avoid the hunger bladder, energy and fun needs, this also belows to EA IP.

They can do that and they may have every legal right to do so but it won’t sway public opinion on the fact that they’ve backslid in terms of the direction of this franchise. It’s about time they received a little competition to knock them one in order to teach them a lesson that resting on your laurels doesn’t get you anywhere.

EA needs to take the warning for what it is: that there’s a wolfpack at their heels and if they’re not going to start running, they’re going to get eaten by someone hungrier than they are. Just waiting for Bethesda to take them on in the life-sim market and see if that wakes them up.

One other thing:

Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts, systems, or methods of doing something. You may express your ideas in writing or drawings and claim copyright in your description, but be aware that copyright will not protect the idea itself as revealed in your written or artistic work.

“Open world” is a concept or a system and unless EA wants to go up against some big industry giants who are using open world in their first-person shooters, they will have to keep quiet. And if they chose to lock horns with the likes of Bethesda, they’d lose and lose badly.

You cannot copyright ideas; and unless they’ve blatantly stolen code from you, you cannot claim IP.
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    This game looks promising. In a few more years it could be ready. I'll reserve judgment until then.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I think it is poor form to be advertising this here, tbh.

Instead of wanting everything to be an “echo-chamber -Sims 4 is good everything is OK. everything is perfectly fine here, How are you, nothing to see here, move along; Move along!” maybe EA should consider Paralives as a “challenge” to step up their game and produce something better or did Cities :Skylines vs SimCity fiasco not teach them anything?!! The excuses “we can’t do this because it hasn’t been done before” are getting tiring.

FIND A WAY!
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »

They can do that and they may have every legal right to do so but it won’t sway public opinion on the fact that they’ve backslid in terms of the direction of this franchise. It’s about time they received a little competition to knock them one in order to teach them a lesson that resting on your laurels doesn’t get you anywhere.

EA needs to take the warning for what it is: that there’s a wolfpack at their heels and if they’re not going to start running, they’re going to get eaten by someone hungrier than they are. Just waiting for Bethesda to take them on in the life-sim market and see if that wakes them up.

One other thing:

Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts, systems, or methods of doing something. You may express your ideas in writing or drawings and claim copyright in your description, but be aware that copyright will not protect the idea itself as revealed in your written or artistic work.

“Open world” is a concept or a system and unless EA wants to go up against some big industry giants who are using open world in their first-person shooters, they will have to keep quiet. And if they chose to lock horns with the likes of Bethesda, they’d lose and lose badly.

You cannot copyright ideas; and unless they’ve blatantly stolen code from you, you cannot claim IP.

Yeah, I don't think EA will win any suits against Paralives just because it's a similar game. It just happens to fall into the same life simulator genre is all. I mean look at all the GTA-like games that came out after GTA 3 came out. Quite a lot of it just as good or better. Or all the games that are Doom-like after Doom came out. None of them got legally destroyed - it just made the original creators step up their game.

I love that there is competition in the life sim genre as it is already breeding innovation. I'm pretty excited that Paralives can create gridless lots! I'm looking forward to seeing all the other ideas that both developers will come up with!

But more than anything, the competition will cause EA to stop taking it's simmer fans for granted, thinking that we'll all buy anything that has "The Sims" label on it (I myself have never bought anything that's TS4 - I'm not desperate!). I also don't think Paralives is the only other competition out there. After Ron Humble was announced to head, Paradox Tectonic went into radio silence. It could be that they're developing a life sim too.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited November 2019
    @ClarionOfJoy, Personally, I like the fact that Paralives was able to eliminate the gap between lots and make lot sizes malleable as well as any shape possible. Stepping away from squares and angles and utilizing curves was also innovative.

Me, personally, I’m not too thrilled with the mobile game style art. I’d love to see some high definition game graphics however I’ll sacrifice some (not all) for playability. However once I get away from the restrictions of my consumer grade PC which wasn’t designed to handle TS3’s graphics intensity(I’ve only got a APU (CPU & graphics chip in one -not recommended to do)) and not a GPU), I’m looking forward to building a PC that will tackle gaming, photo and video editing with relatively little problems.

Oh, I can only hope Paradox Tectonic steps up to the plate and blasts one out of the park. After getting decimated by Cities:Skylines, EA’s really going to have to step up if they don’t want a repeat of 2014’s SimCity. Make no mistake; I’m not gleeful about it but I don’t want to see this kind of stuff that thry’ve been trying to shovel down our throats with Sims 4 again in Sims 5.

I haven’t touched Sims 4 either. Even during the $4.99 base game sale Christmas 2018. Not a chance.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • MacyStarMoonMacyStarMoon Posts: 52 Member
    i like the build mode in paralives.it looke more freedom to build your dream house.
  • SupersonicAvalancheSupersonicAvalanche Posts: 3,307 Member
    I hope Parafolks are just as customizable personality-wise in "Create A Parafolk" as build mode seems to be when it comes to creating lots and houses.
    Z5yqGx5.png
  • DevinDeedleDevinDeedle Posts: 8 New Member
    I’m excited to see more of the game, but if it were released right now I’d definitely buy it. As long as the characters look halfway decent, the game’s already a hoot for me. I’d like to see how the people interact with the world, though, and I’m curious about how jobs and money and such will work, too. Will there be children and aging? I’m excited to find out!
  • AlpineCuriosityAlpineCuriosity Posts: 2,521 Member
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ZzAemrIqw

:love: We can even put names on the stockings...!
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited December 2019
    Haha all that stuff gathered ‘round the fireplace would burn a TS4 house down within fifteen seconds.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    The plan is for them- Parafolk to be customisation- they will be able to be sculpted like Sims 4 sims. Fully customizeable is what one of the people are saying creating the Paralives
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited March 2020
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q38gxPrDw0Y

Aw, I really, really hope Traits and Parafolk-personalities are just as customizable...!
  • simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    That latest video has me drooling. If this game works out and the Parafolk are just as amazing... take my money, my soul, my firstborn, and an order of fries.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Sims 4 eat your DANG heart out (I'd say the f-word but...I'll be nice.)
  • under_sun_and_skyunder_sun_and_sky Posts: 96 Member
    This game is going to forking obliterate the Sims
    tumblr_pg992c6rBP1r42s8uo1_400.gifv
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    The description on Steam says something about go to interesting places and ‘meet new people’. Does anyone know if this is planned to be a multiplayer game? It didn’t say meet new parafolk, it said meet new people.
  • under_sun_and_skyunder_sun_and_sky Posts: 96 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    The description on Steam says something about go to interesting places and ‘meet new people’. Does anyone know if this is planned to be a multiplayer game? It didn’t say meet new parafolk, it said meet new people.
    It's going to be single player. I believe that description was written before the "parafolk" name had been voted on.
    tumblr_pg992c6rBP1r42s8uo1_400.gifv
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @under_sun_and_sky Thanks! That would have been a dealbreaker for me.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DIqTswEEcL0

^^ I’m so curious about The Parafolks now!!
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

I truly hope when this comes out...EA suffers greatly from it....
    THIS IS amazing!
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

Without saying too much...I suggest you subscribe to his Patreon soon. ;) If you can spare $1 a month, that should be enough.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?