Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does EA care about loyal players?

Comments

• sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    storyy wrote: »
    If this is the biggest problem some of you all face in life... I'm envious.

This isn't the biggest problem I, nor anyone else face in life. I'm simply stating my opinion on a forum dedicated to this specific topic.

If you don't have anything constructive to contribute to the conversation, I kindly ask you refrain from commenting.
    I did not buy Dine Out for one hairstyle or Get Famous for a couple of tops. I bought them because of the gameplay and systems they added to the game. As far as I know, there's no in-depth fame system or way to own a restaurant with just the base game. I do not feel like I've had something taken away from me or that I've been cheated. I don't feel like I had to pay all this money for content that they're now just giving away for free.

EA doesn't care about us as long as we keep buying their product. Your money is your vote, as they say. Unhappy? Don't give them your business. Now the Sims Team - I believe they do care about their players. I've been enthusiastically, loyally, and happily playing The Sims since 2000. I have purchased every Sims 4 product on Origin with my own money, on sale or not, because I love this game and all that gets added. I don't care about vampires and I still bought the pack because I loved the CAS and Build/Buy items. If they suddenly made it all free, I wouldn't go crying asking for my money back or why the Sims team/EA doesn't care about me. They're just rehashing things that already exist and letting other people enjoy them. I don't understand why some people can't just let people have things without popping a blood vessel.

Did this same crisis occur when the base game was FREE? or $5, or $10? I convinced a couple of people to get the game when it was free and became so aware of how lacking the base game is in terms of CAS/BB that I was worried they'd hate it. I'm glad, as a "loyal" player, having spent hundreds of real life money on these games, that they're adding things in for free for those people who don't have all the DLC.

A more blatantly constructive contribution: Let people have nice things. It helps new players become "loyal" players.

I totally agree with what you're saying in terms that they haven't added any gameplay from packs to the base game. That being said, I still wholeheartedly do not agree with taking objects from packs and giving them to players who have not purchased the packs those items belong
    to. I also agree with what you said about players using their money as their vote. I again, won't be paying full price for any Sims 4 pack because I personally don't see the packs being worth the asking price. I didn't buy all the packs for one specific item either, but the fact of the matter is whether I wanted an item or not, I still paid to have that content in my game.

I also want to make sure I clarify my post is questioning whether EA values its loyal customers, not the Sims team. There have been a few posts mentioning the Sims team so I just want to make sure the thread doesn't change topics.

I find it disheartening that you mentioned they're rehashing things that already exist. As someone who loves The Sims franchise and who has also spend hundreds of dollars on their games, it hurts knowing they're spending less time recoloring objects or releasing previously released objects as "new" items instead of taking the time to provide new items.

I appreciate you responding and sharing your opinion. It's not always easy to interpret the tone of a forum message but I never intended on coming across as this was a life or death issue that was consuming my life. I was just curious if anyone else feels the same way I do.
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    I understand what you're saying, sims2freak737, because while I like that the base-game has been given a little more free content, & I am genuinely happy to have more players have more stuff, I see the point that there is effectively less 'new' stuff in the packs that content came from. It's not affecting me personally, as I bought it all on a good sale, but the, uh, scavenged-packs are now possibly of slightly less value to people who haven't bought them yet. And clearly, they have less value now to some players who already bought them, because the items are no longer exclusive to that pack.

There's merit in both sides of the question, at least in my view, and validity to the feelings on both sides, too.

It wouldn't even be an issue if all players felt they were getting their money's worth from the game. That's the real problem. This is a symptom.
  • storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member

This isn't the biggest problem I, nor anyone else face in life. I'm simply stating my opinion on a forum dedicated to this specific topic.

If you don't have anything constructive to contribute to the conversation, I kindly ask you refrain from commenting.
    I did not buy Dine Out for one hairstyle or Get Famous for a couple of tops. I bought them because of the gameplay and systems they added to the game. As far as I know, there's no in-depth fame system or way to own a restaurant with just the base game. I do not feel like I've had something taken away from me or that I've been cheated. I don't feel like I had to pay all this money for content that they're now just giving away for free.

EA doesn't care about us as long as we keep buying their product. Your money is your vote, as they say. Unhappy? Don't give them your business. Now the Sims Team - I believe they do care about their players. I've been enthusiastically, loyally, and happily playing The Sims since 2000. I have purchased every Sims 4 product on Origin with my own money, on sale or not, because I love this game and all that gets added. I don't care about vampires and I still bought the pack because I loved the CAS and Build/Buy items. If they suddenly made it all free, I wouldn't go crying asking for my money back or why the Sims team/EA doesn't care about me. They're just rehashing things that already exist and letting other people enjoy them. I don't understand why some people can't just let people have things without popping a blood vessel.

Did this same crisis occur when the base game was FREE? or $5, or $10? I convinced a couple of people to get the game when it was free and became so aware of how lacking the base game is in terms of CAS/BB that I was worried they'd hate it. I'm glad, as a "loyal" player, having spent hundreds of real life money on these games, that they're adding things in for free for those people who don't have all the DLC.

A more blatantly constructive contribution: Let people have nice things. It helps new players become "loyal" players.

I totally agree with what you're saying in terms that they haven't added any gameplay from packs to the base game. That being said, I still wholeheartedly do not agree with taking objects from packs and giving them to players who have not purchased the packs those items belong
    to. I also agree with what you said about players using their money as their vote. I again, won't be paying full price for any Sims 4 pack because I personally don't see the packs being worth the asking price. I didn't buy all the packs for one specific item either, but the fact of the matter is whether I wanted an item or not, I still paid to have that content in my game.

I also want to make sure I clarify my post is questioning whether EA values its loyal customers, not the Sims team. There have been a few posts mentioning the Sims team so I just want to make sure the thread doesn't change topics.

I find it disheartening that you mentioned they're rehashing things that already exist. As someone who loves The Sims franchise and who has also spend hundreds of dollars on their games, it hurts knowing they're spending less time recoloring objects or releasing previously released objects as "new" items instead of taking the time to provide new items.

I appreciate you responding and sharing your opinion. It's not always easy to interpret the tone of a forum message but I never intended on coming across as this was a life or death issue that was consuming my life. I was just curious if anyone else feels the same way I do.
    I understand the frustration of wanting ACTUAL new things and getting recolors or the like instead. That is frustrating! I get it, but I personally don't let it frustrate me because I know the paid content is unique, almost always (aside from a few recolored outfits or hairs with different colored accessories, etc). I guess where we differ the most is that I don't mind that I paid for something that some people now are getting for free. And that's fine, I've shared my opinion and you've very eloquently explained yours.

I apologize for the snarkiness - I did misunderstand the tone of your original post. It's very common on these forums to run into blatant complaining, and honestly, sometimes whining about tiny things that maybe I just can't relate to. So thanks for clearing that up for me, even though you had no obligation to do so!
  • sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    I can’t get excited about this until it’s out and has been played and it delivers.. every other simulation game was a hoax or lame.. so it better come hard and harder if it wants to have me sold
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019
    Not being able to relate to certain things doesn’t necessarily make them tiny. One person may be fine with what’s happening, others are not. I stopped buying for this game a long time ago, how does that solve the problem that is Sims 4 (for me)? A problem that is going to last for at least another five years. With what? With trying to lure in new (young) players and throwing out packs with little gameplay, set dressing and recolours. It’s highly frustrating for those who are longing for a full and worthy life simulation experience again. And not because that’s the only thing we have to worry about in life, but because we all know what this game could be like.

When Sims 4 was released and I regretted some very essential features (for me) were missing, people literally reacted with: “Too bad, you had your game, we have been waiting for 5 years, now it’s our turn!” Ah, I thought (quite new to the franchise, started playing in 2009), this is how this franchise works then. You take turns. Ok, I’ll have to be patient then. So, now it’s almost 5 years later and all of a sudden things are different. It’s nót my turn. It’s still other people’s turn, cheering the fact it will all take anóther five years and when you moan you’re not really happy about that, you’re shushed away.

I grant everyone their turn, it is as it is, enjoy what you enjoy and play what you love playing. But please allow others to express their dissatisfaction. And ask yourself what you would have felt like if Sims 3 had lasted ten years.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Not being able to relate to certain things doesn’t necessarily make them tiny. One person may be fine with what’s happening, others are not. I stopped buying for this game a long time ago, how does that solve the problem that is Sims 4 (for me)? A problem that is going to last for at least another five years. With what? With trying to lure in new (young) players and throwing out packs with little gameplay, set dressing and recolours. It’s highly frustrating for those who are longing for a full and worthy life simulation experience again. And not because that’s the only thing we have to worry about in life, but because we all know what this game could be like.

When Sims 4 was released and I regretted some very essential features (for me) were missing, people literally reacted with: “Too bad, you had your game, we have been waiting for 5 years, now it’s our turn!” Ah, I thought (quite new to the franchise, started playing in 2009), this is how this franchise works then. You take turns. Ok, I’ll have to be patient then. So, now it’s almost 5 years later and all of a sudden things are different. It’s nót my turn. It’s still other people’s turn, cheering the fact it will all take anóther five years and when you moan you’re not really happy about that, you’re shushed away.

I grant everyone their turn, it is as it is, enjoy what you enjoy and play what you love playing. But please allow others to express their dissatisfaction. And ask yourself what you would have felt like if Sims 3 had lasted ten years.
    I think it's hard to say "we all know what this game could be like." I think unless a person is in development with the Sims team, it is unlikely any of us will know what the game "could" be like, realistically. I also remember vividly being disappointed that pools were not included in the base game originally, but then... they were added! For free! I would have been pretty peeved if they weren't free. And so small things (that are small in my opinion) being added for free or taken from some packs and recolored before patching in, is not a big deal in my opinion. It's the nature of this game and the current team, I guess. I PERSONALLY am satisfied with this simulation experience! If you do not like it and you've already stopped giving EA your money, then why do you still even bother playing? This is not a jab or meant to come off as rude or sarcastic. Is it solely because you enjoy life simulator games? If so, are there any other games you could play and actually enjoy instead of getting frustrated over the current one? This is a genuine question, again, because if I didn't have fun playing a game or was too frustrated by it I would simply stop playing. One person cannot solve the problem here because not everyone experiences this the way you do, or that I do. Not paying, and not playing, would absolutely solve your frustration with The Sims 4 - you would no longer be playing it! Obviously this doesn't fulfill your desire for a proper life simulation, but that game doesn't exist for you or anyone else tired of TS4. There's no real solution except, for now, to take yourself away from something that does not bring you joy.

I never, ever implied that others can't express their opinions. I would never do that just as a person in general. I did make a sarcastic comment because it seems like much of this forum is populated with people torn apart by their dissatisfaction. Your expression of disdain for TS4 does not get shushed away by any means... I mean that is what this post is about; Frustration over the lack of thought going into some of these content patches. I personally don't think EA has employees that care about anyone, it's the game developers that care about us, and they only have so much control being under such a mogul. Also, everyone plays differently, and clearly players can be satisfied and dissatisfied with a wide variety of features - we will never ALL be pleased. I'm sorry that you've been treated poorly by people not respecting your opinion on what you don't like with the game. This is not one groups game only and you're fully entitled to your opinion on it. But I mean, the forum's full of like-minded individuals ready to throw down with TS4.

And to your last point - if the Sims 3 lasted for ten years, I'd probably still be playing it. And at this point in my life I actually own a great computer that would be able to run TS3 without issue.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I continue playing even while sharing my disappointment because I still enjoy the game, I just can’t help comparing it to previous iterations because they never let me down like this one has. It took a while for my patience to wear out, that’s why I have only started complaining 5 years into it. I took many breaks. I have other hobbies that are much more productive, like knitting. I’m bothered by the suggestion that I should just stop playing if this is the way I feel. I want MORE in the game... not LESS or no game at all. And the more I add, the less value I see in this game, because I remember what we’re missing.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I have been playing for almost 20 years. I know that i am not longer the 'target audience'

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    babajayne wrote: »
    I continue playing even while sharing my disappointment because I still enjoy the game, I just can’t help comparing it to previous iterations because they never let me down like this one has. It took a while for my patience to wear out, that’s why I have only started complaining 5 years into it. I took many breaks. I have other hobbies that are much more productive, like knitting. I’m bothered by the suggestion that I should just stop playing if this is the way I feel. I want MORE in the game... not LESS or no game at all. And the more I add, the less value I see in this game, because I remember what we’re missing.
    I mean if you're still enjoying the game, and it outweighs your disappointment, then I wouldn't suggest to just not play. It's fine to play a game that has flaws and acknowledge them even though you still like it overall. Don't let suggestions bother you, you have no obligation to follow them. Especially when made from a stranger online who doesn't know you in the slightest.

And @king_of_simcity7 yeah, I also have been playing for that long. I honestly don't know WHO the target audience is but I enjoy the game still sooo? Maybe it's based on my age, 25-34 range or something? That doesn't sound right though lol. I'm probably not the target audience either.
  • doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member

well it is a forum to talk and complain about the game so i don't get this response.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    I believe they wanna make a good product that sells well and they have.
    I'm not in a personal relationship with the company so I don't need their personal care.

You're not in a personal relationship with the company but you are still a paying consumer. The company needs consumers, consumers don't need the company. There's already another life simulation game out there being developed by an independent creator so The Sims franchise may have upcoming competition.

I can't wait for the new simulation :)
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    I have been playing for almost 20 years. I know that i am not longer the 'target audience'

:disappointed:

Same here. But a little appreciation for long time fans would be nice. With the latest update I have the impression only new young fans count.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    I think immediate full-price buyers should be rewarded with a limited edition with extra content (like the pet shop in TS3 pets which I sadly missed).
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    No. EA ONLY cares about money. Period.
  • NAPK1NSNAPK1NS Posts: 116 Member
    Your opinion is incredibly popular. However this is a sims forum, and as expected there are quite a lot of EA apologists, but outside of here there are a great wave of fans who will come out and say that EA doesn’t care about their fans.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited July 2019
    I would imagine they don't care very much about you, but not for these reasons. Getting new fans is simply far more profitable than clinging onto old ones. The notion that sales are a bad thing particularly baffles me among the rest. To my understanding there have been a lot of Hardcore™ Loyal™ players who take advantage of sales.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited July 2019
    Cupid wrote: »
    I would imagine they don't care very much about you, but not for these reasons. Getting new fans is simply far more profitable than clinging onto old ones. The notion that sales are a bad thing particularly baffles me among the rest. To my understanding there have been a lot of Hardcore™ Loyal™ players who take advantage of sales.
    Actually they aren't. Loyal customers are more profitable. Not sure where you heard that, but any business class will tell you the importance of loyal customers with making money. Also interesting taking a marketing class and learning how adding .99 makes people think they are saving money which is why businesses use it so much. New customers are just important to grow customers that hopefully become loyal customers.

https://blog.smile.io/repeat-customers-profitable-stats-to-prove
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,446 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Actually they aren't. Loyal customers are more profitable. Not sure where you heard that, but any business class will tell you the importance of loyal customers with making money. Also interesting taking a marketing class and learning how adding .99 makes people think they are saving money which is why businesses use it so much. New customers are just important to grow customers that hopefully become loyal customers.

The point is though, that EA stops caring what their "loyal" or "core" customers actually want because they take for granted that those customers will still buy anything they put out. Being the only intricate life simulation game currently out there, they can take that risk so they change their focus with every game to "what's trending now" and current pop culture, even at the expense of leaving behind beloved traditional gameplay features. It's a marketing trick; aggressively pander to the current generation and when that's tapped, abandon them for the next gen and change up the game accordingly. I'm sure they've extensively reviewed the costs and gains and found that the gains are greater than the losses. But if we are truly getting some competition in the works, it will be very interesting to see what kinds of decisions they make then.
    #Team Occult
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited July 2019
    Scobre wrote: »

You can't really say X is more or less profitable than Y for a business without taking into consideration what the quantities of X and Y actually are, as well as what type of product that business is selling. Obviously, I don't have that information myself either, but my assumption would be that "Loyal" fans are heavily outnumbered by average or even first-time customers, and probably by the millions. The article you linked is directed towards small-business owners running shops (Yes, some big brand-names are mentioned within, but none with a similar business model to EA), not (almost) fortune 500 companies selling video games on a DLC model. It is not applicable.

And to be honest, I'm still not very clear on what is meant by the concept of a loyal fan. Is it someone who has played and bought most of the series? Is it someone who buys new packs for full price on day 1 of release? Do we say that players who support one game and not another are not "Loyal?" Or that players who didn't buy a pack because it genuinely did not interest them are not "Loyal?" It's all rather unclear to me.

HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    And to be honest, I'm still not very clear on what is meant by the concept of a loyal fan. Is it someone who has played and bought most of the series? Is it someone who buys new packs for full price on day 1 of release? Do we say that players who support one game and not another are not "Loyal?" Or that players who didn't buy a pack because it genuinely did not interest them are not "Loyal?" It's all rather unclear to me.

I meant loyal as in players that have been with the franchise since the beginning or those that purchase every piece of content typically without regard for whether they want it. I've been playing Sims since the first one and have bought every stuff, expansion and game pack regardless of what it is because I want the content in my game.

I'm not saying there aren't loyal fans of just The Sims 4 but I'm focusing more on players such as myself that grew up with the Sims. I feel like most conflict on here comes from older fans and newer fans. Those like me that constantly compare the Sims 4 to past Sims games and those that just focus on The Sims 4 because they maybe didn't grow up or player older generations of the game.

• PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    It would be nice if there was some way for long time players to get discounts on later content. For instance, if someone bought Sims 3 Seasons, then when Sims 4 Seasons is released they get a percentage off of the price or something like that. It would take that edge off of buying the same packs with each iteration.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    It would be nice if there was some way for long time players to get discounts on later content. For instance, if someone bought Sims 3 Seasons, then when Sims 4 Seasons is released they get a percentage off of the price or something like that. It would take that edge off of buying the same packs with each iteration.

Nah EA needs your money LOL
    doedear wrote: »

well it is a forum to talk and complain about the game so i don't get this response.
    🌈It's called sarcasm✨ I also explained my response above so go ahead and read that if you don't understand.
  • fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    edited July 2019
    [/quote]You're not in a personal relationship with the company but you are still a paying consumer. The company needs consumers, consumers don't need the company. There's already another life simulation game out there being developed by an independent creator so The Sims franchise may have upcoming competition.[/quote]

I think it would be good for EA to have some competition, and there are some amazing indi game companies out there. Push come to shove I will go with the company that puts out the best game, most of us will, but until it is actually out, there doesn't seem to be much point in threads like this that are designed to start player rants.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I don't think EA does in general but I do believe the devs of The Sims care. They just have restrictions in what they can and can't say or do given they work for EA.
    WbUrFQm.png