Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Challenges reading to new menu?

So, I know there's been a lot of debate about whether the new menu screen is "good" or not. Personally, I seldom care much about stylistic stuff like that. HOWEVER, as someone who is near-sighted and has ADHD, I've been finding certain elements (the EP icons all being the same color, the icons being colored in on white background rather the reverse, the big bright blueness at the bottom of the screen causing a lot of glare and eye strain, the distracting bouncy bunny and llama, ect) and I was wondering if anyone else was having that experience?

Anyway, not trying to get into an argument, was just curious if anyone else was experiencing this. And please feel free to leave comments elaborating on your answer!

Challenges reading to new menu? 97 votes

I have vision problems and/or a learning disability (ADHD, dyslexia, ect) and I have no new problems with the new menu
19%
Akl500PBluefairy286xMintmcruddluthienrisingQueenMercyKathykinsHermitgirlWingardimLeviosacitysimmerTaco3562022SimAlexandrianerdfashionnetney52SimmyFroggyihaveaplaniswearPrincessAmyCatzillaKimmer 19 votes
I have vision problems and/or a learning disability (ADHD, dyslexia, ect) and I find the new menu more challenging than before
17%
Kita5399IceyJVuloriSimplyJenphantasmkissEchovawolfkomoki1TLM08marcelmagiera12TechbiltCementSimtown15FanPhoriaChazzzyAmapola76PrincipleOfEntropyHyper_Key 17 votes
I have vision problems and/or a learning disability (ADHD, dyslexia, ect) and I find the new menu easier to read/navigate than before
4%
Bluegaylefiercephoenix91ScobreBecka28 4 votes
I have no vision problems and/or a learning disabilities (ADHD, dyslexia, ect) and I have no new problems with the new menu
25%
storyyMizz_TriceySimQueenie9alanmichael1nastyjmanFroilstephanie132392elelunicyBabykittyjadeLissyK9LindsaySeddon1Felicity1169catitude5Internal_ChaosDeKayEnkiSchmidtSheriSim57xMarianxMrMonty96caliposs 25 votes
I have no vision problems and/or a learning disabilities (ADHD, dyslexia, ect) and I find the new menu more challenging than before
27%
alexspoom13Colorist40lisamwittMylitaIsb917MeteoraStormBeardedgeekAnmirlaWyrrenSmileSluntFinvolaMissmagoo2AlbaWaterhouseSummerStreakDoloresGreyWaytoomanyUIDsMDianaSimsHearts4uBabySquareLiesSim 27 votes
I have no vision problems and/or a learning disabilities (ADHD, dyslexia, ect) and I find the new menu easier to read/navigate than before
5%
PlayerSinger2010duhboy2u2SindocatZenAlchemistTodiloo 5 votes

Comments

• Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I have vision problems and/or a learning disability (ADHD, dyslexia, ect) and I find the new menu more challenging than before
    I have vision problems that cause severe motion sickness. I find I have to click quick then look away, or else the nausea creeps up on me.
  • VuloriVulori Posts: 94 Member
    I can live with the new main menu, but I cannot handle the new loading screen. I logged into the game and exited within minutes because the loading screen makes me feel sick and gave me a horrible headache.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited July 2019
    I have vision problems and/or a learning disability (ADHD, dyslexia, ect) and I have no new problems with the new menu
    My vision issues are mild but the exist and I have to wear glasses all the time. I hate the new menu but I don’t have any issues with it that weren’t there with the bright white. I just can’t stare at it too long and I’m fine. But I can see how it be problematic for some.

Edit: my eyes are also sensitive to brightness.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I have no vision problems and/or a learning disabilities (ADHD, dyslexia, ect) and I find the new menu easier to read/navigate than before
    I don't even count having to wear glasses all the time "a vision problem", even though I cannot legally drive without them, because I have the lenses, and they are corrective.

I find the new graphics easier to handle, in general. I think there is a lot of random complaining about changes, and though I feel like a jerk for it, am disinclined to believe those claiming special problems, as it is all lost in the general "I hate it!" whining that prevails in this forum community.

TL:DR - I may well be wrong, but even so, see the fable by Aesop about the boy who cried "wolf!".
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I'm nearsighted in both eyes and I have a stigmatism in my left eye, and the new menu is exactly the same for me. I'm also pretty young though, so it could just be that.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    I have ongoing concussion symptoms from an accident I was in, in February, still seeing a neuro physio for it. I thought I might have problems with the blue, since I find that at times blue colours seems to flash if I look at them, but this blue is softer than what it looked like in the maxis monthly so I am not having any issues at all. :)
  • Hyper_KeyHyper_Key Posts: 26 Member
    I feel physically sick every time i have to look at the the new design... The clashing colors, and the giant unnecessary designs make me really uncomfortable. I got headaches from the loading screens just by traveling the neighborhood.
    This takes out a lot of the dangerously low fun i have had with sims 4 for a while...
    I am thinking of just stopping altogether and go back to sims 3. Sims 4 looks great but it has no soul, and every new update makes this more evident.
    It's sickening. And Sad.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I don't even count having to wear glasses all the time "a vision problem", even though I cannot legally drive without them, because I have the lenses, and they are corrective.

I find the new graphics easier to handle, in general. I think there is a lot of random complaining about changes, and though I feel like a plum for it, am disinclined to believe those claiming special problems, as it is all lost in the general "I hate it!" whining that prevails in this forum community.

TL:DR - I may well be wrong, but even so, see the fable by Aesop about the boy who cried "wolf!".

Hi, thanks for your comment.

As I mentioned in my opening post, I'm aware of the general complaints. I haven't been one of those complaining, outside of concerns about visibility. And it's pretty insulting to discount every ones experience because it's not yours. I made this poll because I wanted to see if my problems were unique or not, and I made sure to cover all the options. I'm glad to hear this screen is better for you, and maybe that's why they changed it, but writing people off as "whining" is, well. Kind of being a "plum" as you said. Was there some over reaction by some? Sure, but that doesn't mean you should discount valid complaints along with the rest. That is basically "overreacting" in the other direction--lots of people are complaining, so I won't listen to anyone!!!!

And I find it interesting that the boy who cried wolf is so often cited when trying to discount--often disenfranchised--people's experiences. May I direct you to the myth of Cassandra, the woman who could always see the truth but was never believed by arrogant men?
    Post edited by FanPhoria on
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    I have visually-triggered migraines. The main menu is fine for me so far. The spin of the plumbob during the initial game loading, before the main menu, might turn out to be an issue, though. It was okay today.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I'm autistic, so I have sensory sensitivities. I cannot stand to look at the bright blue, so I haven't even patched my game yet. It's not that I hate it; it just gives me intense head and eye pain. Even with the logo on the forums being changed, I have to scroll down very quickly whenever I go to the top or my eyes will hurt. Even if it didn't hurt to look at, the new menu/loading screen would probably overstimulate me within the minute.

What makes it even worse is that I play on a laptop, so I don't have those 3-5 second loading screens that most people do. (I once timed my loading screen and it was 13 seconds long.) I can't imagine having to endure that eye torture for a solid 13 seconds. Looking at it for just 3 seconds already feels like staring directly into the sun.

I'm also going to tag @SimGuruGraham so that he actually knows what's going on.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I have no vision problems and/or a learning disabilities (ADHD, dyslexia, ect) and I find the new menu more challenging than before
    It is just looks too cluttered. The white looked clean.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited July 2019
    No serious issues, but my eyes are light sensitive. So while I do think it's cluttered now, my biggest issue is actually the color scheme. Something about the particular shades of blue with the white... it's too bright and I had to turn the brightness down on my laptop to stop it from hurting my eyes.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited July 2019
    I have bad eyesight/can't function without glasses and get the occasional migraine but I don't think I consider that as having vision problems. I do find the new menu really hard to look at. I have to look away during the loading screens sometimes because the blue is too bright/bold, even if it's for a few seconds. If my sim is traveling/club hopping/doing whatever, that's a few loading screens in a row I have to look at in a short amount of time.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    and though I feel like a plum for it, am disinclined to believe those claiming special problems

I'm glad to see that someone is providing free medical advice for the 27% of simmers responding to this poll who answered that they are in fact having disability-related issues with the new visuals. Will you be making house calls as well?

(Seriously, that's offensive, and you should have gone with your first instinct, there.)
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I have vision problems with bright screens always, and also dimness if I set my screen to a lower intensity it's harder to see so that also causes strain. I also suffer from eye dryness, and have had migraines, but not lately. I can get dizzy if I'm online too long in general.. but that's another issue.
    This loading screen is much, much better than before for me.. I had to actively cover my eyes over the white screen, now I don't have to cover my eyes. I'd would like it to be a bit less bright but overall happier in general with it. The main page itself doesn't change how I navigate or see it it causes no more or less eyestrain than the last main page.
    egTcBMc.png
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I don't have any of those specific conditions, but I am prone to headaches. I have the brightness on my pc turned down to 30% all the time yet looking at it makes my eyes hurt in a way that tells me a headache's around the corner.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I'm very nearsighted and spend a lot of time at a computer. There's so much going on in the redesign that I just want to avoid it. Thank goodness the play button is still huge and still has the load game thing under it. That's all I really need.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited July 2019
    Simmers, we heard your feedback regarding the colour usage on our loading screen and are making adjustments. Below is the current loading screen and underneath is the new loading screen which will go live in our August patch. pic.twitter.com/0ZlX0QA7ah SimGuruFrost ✈️ Sulani (@SimGuruFrost) "
    :)
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Simmers, we heard your feedback regarding the colour usage on our loading screen and are making adjustments. Below is the current loading screen and underneath is the new loading screen which will go live in our August patch. <a href="https://t.co/0ZlX0QA7ah">pic.twitter.com/0ZlX0QA7ah</a></p>&mdash; SimGuruFrost ✈️ Sulani (@SimGuruFrost) <a href=" 17, 2019</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js&quot; charset="utf-8"></script>

Well that's something to look forward to! I like the darker color much better, it'll be less eye straining, and I think it looks nicer too! Also makes the white text that scrolls by actually legible, lol. (I honestly thought they'd discontinued that, but I must have just been squinting and averting my eyes too much haha)
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I posted this in another thread, in case anyone here is interested.
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    For anyone not opposed to mods (won’t help with the website though).. Edit: it also changes the loading screen back

• CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I have vision problems and I have not noticed any problems with the new screens. I also suffer badly from motion sickness issues and I have not noticed any issues but I look away from the graphic thing that whirls too close up and fast past my eyes on load up. Instinctual reflex. That could definitely be reworked or go entirely.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Simmers, we heard your feedback regarding the colour usage on our loading screen and are making adjustments. Below is the current loading screen and underneath is the new loading screen which will go live in our August patch. <a href="https://t.co/0ZlX0QA7ah">pic.twitter.com/0ZlX0QA7ah</a></p>&mdash; SimGuruFrost ✈️ Sulani (@SimGuruFrost) <a href=" 17, 2019</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js&quot; charset="utf-8"></script>

I liked the white best and I like the darker blue more than the bright blue background.
  • darkchadmeisterdarkchadmeister Posts: 62 Member
    I have no vision problems and/or a learning disabilities (ADHD, dyslexia, ect) and I have no new problems with the new menu
    If things are too bright I just put on some filtered sunglasses made specifically for viewing screens.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    This question does not matter Sims Guru Frost and SG Legacy said on twitter today - they heard the simmers yelling and the August patch will be making the blue a dark blue and showed the difference on the post.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    This question does not matter Sims Guru Frost and SG Legacy said on twitter today - they heard the simmers yelling and the August patch will be making the blue a dark blue and showed the difference on the post.

That was only about the loading screen, not the main menu. I just view the main menu as too cluttered now. The white background or even a black background on the main menu screen would have it not look so cluttered.