September 20 - Friday Highlight is here! Check it out!
September 17 - We just released a small patch for The Sims 4 on PC/Mac - click here for more details.

Is the Forum Always So Negative/Unhappy?

13...Next

Comments

• RouenpucelleRouenpucelle Posts: 866 Member
    MaxieMix wrote: »
    Im negative overall

Wow, the song really does sound better in a lower key.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,209 Member
    The feeling of being crooked. High prices, few gameplay possibilities, always have to download mods to enhance the gameplay. Players have got a very high expectations, only one or two are given/developped. How sad .
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 3,146 Member
    edited September 20
    I think the real question is why are people upset. I will speak for myself.

I have been around since Sims 1 and have always loved this franchise even now with all the frustration. Each iteration after the first has offered innovation. Sims 4 not so much.

When I look at the personality of sims in Sims 2 and 3, the traits shine through and each sim feels like they have their own personality. Sims 4 they are all the same because the traits produce emotions and there are only about nine emotions all of which the sims experience no matter what trait they have making them all feel the same.

The packs that have been released especially recently have been lacking in content and riddle with bugs. People work hard for their money. I expect when I buy a game it is worth the money I paid. I could deal with some bugs if I felt like they put a lot of content/gameplay in. When you give me a game with bugs where I can’t even enjoy the little gameplay you added, I have an issue with that.

I will list a few things
    Island living missing counters and then when they add them in later, they didn’t even match.

Moschino photographers could mail in portrait pictures so some people could advance in the freelancers career

Island Living- toddlers were broken for a while and would not finish meals, dine out wasn’t working in Silvani, Grim wasn’t showing up in Sulani, NPCs are spawning in players houses that have fireplaces, broken genetics for mermaids.

ROM has some bugs too but I haven’t bought it because of my island living experience.

People are frustrated and rightfully so in my opinion. We are not their beta testers, we are their customers.

Edit one last thing. When you have game changers complaining about the counters and the missing doors in world houses, you have to admit the quality is going down. These guys are complaining and they are getting the game for free. FREE and I am paying for low quality stuff.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited September 20
    Can you blame us for those who have LOVED this series, and are VERY disappointed how they are dragging our beloved series through the mud???

Excuse me for loving this series so much that it pains me to see them being so lazy with it now.
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 424 Member
    I love the game, I've loved all of the versions of it, but learned after TS2 not to expect anything to be the same as it was in it's previous version and to enjoy it for what it is. Being negative about the game is one thing, personally I do feel that in an age of instant access to everything, the Sims may need to change the way it's packaged to keep up with that in order to survive the backlash slowly doling out GP's and EPs is going to create. I get that others want their occults, their universities and their laundry days and that's okay and they are passionate enough about the series to want the same high quality and amount of gameplay that we've had before. Rightly so, you don't want to feel ripped off when you've paid £44.00 for the base game and you get....well you know. It is the bullying that gets me and sometimes the intolerance and as others have said better than I can, there is no need for it. That said it is what it is and my advice is to just keep on scrolling and then go and enjoy your game anyway. Happy Simming.

Ps. For the record I've clocked up more hours on S4 than the previous 3, but then I enjoy my game.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,570 Member
    I'd say it depends on how you view negativity. If criticism and negativity are synonymous, then I would say it has gone up a bit the past few months. People are frustrated--you can read the threads to find out why, because it's just too much to go into here.

However, I don't think criticism and negativity are wholly synonymous and interchangeable.

Some criticism, I think, does veer into negativity and is a bit over reactive without looking at the good points of the game. Some I think is perfectly fair and just. I have seen people on here who don't like to see any criticism at all, even if it's the fair and want-to-make-the-game-better kind. I have also seen people on here who don't want to hear anything remotely good about the game. For the most part I think most people aren't particularly negative. They just have concerns and want to make improvements. It can be hard when you care about something and want to make it better, but have no power to do so. All people can do is offer their thoughts. Doesn't excuse the people who are mean about it, but I think they're fewer than the rest, in my experience.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 442 Member
    Sims 4 is a divisive game. Either you hate it or you love it. So naturally there's both of those groups on this forum.
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 363 Member
    The feeling of being crooked. High prices, few gameplay possibilities, always have to download mods to enhance the gameplay. Players have got a very high expectations, only one or two are given/developped. How sad .

@Simsophonique tends to happen to game franchises taken over by EA... compared to other franchises the Sims got of..lightly
    byVpvsc.gif
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,005 Member
    I'm pretty new here, so I'm kind of curious about the forum. I have experienced a surprisingly large number of threads that seem to be unhappy or negative about every aspect of the game, including the logos, loading screens, new packs, and overall mechanics. Do you also experience the mood as negative or unhappy? Does this happen every time something new is announced, or every time a new pack comes out? Has the forum been overall positive/happy about any of the previous packs?

One of the things about fans, especially the more ardent ones, is that they are hoping for perfection. And if it's not exactly what they were hoping for, *because* they love it, they are very critical. If they didn't care, they'd just go away without commenting.
    KatAnubis wrote: »
    One of the things about fans, especially the more ardent ones, is that they are hoping for perfection. And if it's not exactly what they were hoping for, *because* they love it, they are very critical. If they didn't care, they'd just go away without commenting.

i partly agree on the part that there are ardent fans out there who ask for a lot and complain about every minor detail they don't like… but "looking for perfection" isn't how i would put it. many people want a proper working game for the price EA charges for the game instead of a half finished mess full of bugs. are we paying for a finished game? or for a BETA version full of bugs?? this is often the case with many EA games where the game is full of bugs, poor scripting and bad routing yet they charge full price as ifd the game is well finished and properly tested. many people have good reason to state their complaints about this and the Sims isn't the only EA game which suffers from this kind of backlash. i don't like negativity but yeah...i cannot blame people for complaining about paying full price for a messy BETA version game full of bugs and very limited content for the price they charge.

byVpvsc.gif
    edited September 21
    Can you blame us for those who have LOVED this series, and are VERY disappointed how they are dragging our beloved series through the mud???

Excuse me for loving this series so much that it pains me to see them being so lazy with it now.

@KaeChan2089 you and me both… but yeah… this isn't the first series destroyed by EA's greedy corporate ways..and it probabely won't be the last :/
    byVpvsc.gif
  • KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,600 Member
    Well I joined the Sims Forum back in 2014 because of my Disappointment of Sims 4. Well it got improved over the years but still lacks, my Carpool is still missing :wink:
    Yeah I still visit every now and than to look for new infos regarding them.
    I joined the forum mostly because I wanted to share my excitement about the game with other people.
  • KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,600 Member
    I joined the forum mostly because I wanted to share my excitement about the game with other people.

Yeah over the time it got better. But it took alot of time for me to actually enjoy that game again. Now I own every content of Sims 4. And I play it right now xD
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited September 21
    Honestly, I think it's become less negative as of late. Back before toddlers were patched in it was a cesspool. Not that I'm complaining, because I love to complain here.
    There was a nice silence right after that update where nearly all topics were positive.
    But this is one of the few places where people's issues with the game might actually be heard and fixed, or at least have a discourse built around them. So naturally you'll see an emphasis on negativity, which doesn't neccessarily reflect the whole picture.
    @dreamprisoner as long as the modders read along i am sure issues will be fixed ^_^ i have very low expectations when it comes to EA: they only listen if there is money to be made.
    byVpvsc.gif
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 17,114 Member
    edited September 22
    Not just forums. Sadly it is still tame here compared to Twitter and fan sites where death threats against Gurus and Simmers goes unmonitored and unchecked. Thankfully here there are mods to keep Gurus and Simmers safe. MTS has a good mod team too. Twitch and BobSquad discord are still some of my favorite places to hang out that have good mod teams too. I do have enough practice to be a mod on a few channels. But yes the Sims community isn't the friendliest place especially for new Simmers joining the Sims community. RoryPlays, Simmerdre, Zylria, DrGluon, and Flip_Switch are a few Twitch and some of them upload their streams on YouTube too if you miss them on Twitch with really friendly and welcoming communities if you are new. I met a lot of friends through them. Also blame Graham and Steve for getting me addicted to Twitch. Really nice Gurus I would recommend meeting on the Sims streams.

Forums have been happy when toddlers, basements, and the stair update came out. I don't view requests as negative. I did view it when Simmers were being personally attacked when being represented with the gender update and the hijab. Pretty much by the end of the day it narrows down that all Simmers want to be represented in the Sims 4 and the game hasn't forgotten the right balance yet. I blame it on the influx of SPs and temporary events that have the lowest attention span to appeal to the larger mass of Simmers. I used to come on here to report bugs but that apparently changed recently.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

Everyone is a Simmer.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 30,804 Member
    edited September 22
    (Reasons why the negativity barely scratches the surface).

I can see where someone new wouldn't understand how empty the base was, since they are now enjoying five years of complaints that may have brought about some major changes to the game and the game we played isn't the game they got recently, nor the price of it. Nor did we have many things they take for granted, because they don't know, and they didn't pay $60-$80 but some possibly got it for free back in May, and or for the lower price of $40 for the base, half of what it cost those who have been here for five years.

Because they are new they have no idea how many who love TS4 complained month after month of no new content nor no new news and total silence from Maxis of what they would do and wouldn't do year after year. They come in on the end of the series and at a reboot (rebrand) where they get to see Maxis Monthly, SimGuruGarage and other things people literally had to rave about to get even a word about gameplay (even on packs they owned) or any news hints, or how to do something. They don't know it was a desert out here for five years with no answers about anything, and sure it must look all negative to them but Simmers have long memories, of how they forked out $60-$80 and no interaction with the core base, or information, at all for years. Nothing but stuff packs for years. And five years later we think we are playing a life simulator only to find out no, Maxis has decided to build a safe space rather than a game, after those who were expecting gameplay rather than safe spaces, spent the initial $80. It's a long story, OP, and money matters.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1

edited September 22
    I'm the OP. I actually bought the game in 2015 for $59.99. I'm new to the forums, but not the game. I started out with Sims 1 with no packs at all, but still loved the game. :)