August 22 - It's patch day for The Sims 4 on console! Read the patch notes here.
August 23 - Ready for the Friday Highlight? Check it out here!
August 15 - We have updated the forum rules. Learn more here.

Is the Forum Always So Negative/Unhappy?

2...Next

Comments

  • GguyGguy Posts: 78 Member
    edited July 28
    I understand where those people are coming from and i even agree with them on certain topics (Like the fact that the lack of an open world/story progression decreases immersion and makes the worlds feel dead), but unlike them, i don't go around hating on everything just because i have different opinions. I would gain nothing by doing so other than plum off literally everyone around me.
    GGUY'S WEEKLY WORDS OF WISDOM:
    ""Knowledge is power, the more you know, the more you can help yourself and those around you""


  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,464 Member
    Does this happen every time something new is announced,

    pretty much
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 30,603 Member
    edited July 28
    You may not understand the negativity but without it TS4 would not be the game you play today. You may not understand but most negative polls, remarks, and upsets are in Feedback. Most players who are very passionate about wanting changes and improvements to the game, don't enter the General Disccussion forum, they, we, me keep our negativity over in Feedback where hopefully we helped get some things added, changed and improved. However, after five years of asking and requesting things that never happen or are made worse by a new patch or pack starts to feel like being judged for our intuitive outlook on how to expand the game. Those who feel it's' perfect as is, since day one, without toddlers, pools, half walls, more building opitions, etc. sometimes don't help the enviornement here by entering negative threads which are asking for improvements, (and venting because of lack of improvement,) by saying go back and play Ts2, or Ts3 nor with saying they love it and it's perfect. That brings nothing to the table.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 4,476 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    You may not understand the negativity but without it TS4 would not be the game you play today. You may not understand but most negative polls, remarks, and upsets are in Feedback. Most players who are very passionate about wanting changes and improvements to the game, don't enter the General Disccussion forum, they, we, me keep our negativity over in Feedback where hopefully we helped get some things added, changed and improved. However, after five years of asking and requesting things that never happen or are made worse by a new patch or pack starts to feel like being judged for our intuitive outlook on how to expand the game. Those who feel it's' perfect as is, since day one, without toddlers, pools, half walls, more building opitions, etc. sometimes don't help the enviornement here by entering negative threads which are asking for improvements, (and venting because of lack of improvement,) by saying go back and play Ts2, or Ts3 nor with saying they love it and it's perfect. That brings nothing to the table.

    You are all taking the credit for things that were probably being planned along the way in the first place. Negativity didn't work, it was those continually asking or even positively screaming for things to be added that got done. They wanted things not Sims 4 discontinued. Probably those who shouted loudest got first shot but how are we or you to know that for a fact? Bugs and improvements needed to be reported but not in a negative way. That is not the way to get things done. No. the negativity is from those who want Sims 4 to end and one that plays their way to go ahead. They might not get what they wish for.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 30,603 Member
    edited July 28
    Simburian wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    You may not understand the negativity but without it TS4 would not be the game you play today. You may not understand but most negative polls, remarks, and upsets are in Feedback. Most players who are very passionate about wanting changes and improvements to the game, don't enter the General Disccussion forum, they, we, me keep our negativity over in Feedback where hopefully we helped get some things added, changed and improved. However, after five years of asking and requesting things that never happen or are made worse by a new patch or pack starts to feel like being judged for our intuitive outlook on how to expand the game. Those who feel it's' perfect as is, since day one, without toddlers, pools, half walls, more building opitions, etc. sometimes don't help the enviornement here by entering negative threads which are asking for improvements, (and venting because of lack of improvement,) by saying go back and play Ts2, or Ts3 nor with saying they love it and it's perfect. That brings nothing to the table.

    You are all taking the credit for things that were probably being planned along the way in the first place. Negativity didn't work, it was those continually asking or even positively screaming for things to be added that got done. They wanted things not Sims 4 discontinued. Probably those who shouted loudest got first shot but how are we or you to know that for a fact? Bugs and improvements needed to be reported but not in a negative way. That is not the way to get things done. No. the negativity is from those who want Sims 4 to end and one that plays their way to go ahead. They might not get what they wish for.

    I have not always wanted TS4 to end. But it is five years old and I'm the type of player who looks forward to the next iteration. All of them have not went on longer than three to five years. By that time, I'm ready to see a new engine, new innovation, new animations, new simulation, new graphics, new gameplay, new direction.

    I would hate to think TS3 players never got their open world (which I thought was going to be very exciting and in a way it was) and CASt where they no longer had to use three different programs to create custom swatches and or recolors of things in both build and buy, just because I didn't want to see TS2 end. I looked forward to see what a new game would bring in innovation.

    I felt the same way about TS1, I loved that game, however, I would not have wanted it to not end and stop TS2 players from gaining generational gameplay, aging, foundations, decks, more than two story building and other new innovations like 3D. I loved TS1 but was excited to see TS2.

    I liked TS3 (but went back and forth to play TS2) and still I wasn't so into a game I couldn't allow myself to see new innovations in building and Sim design or graphics that I wasn't going to try TS4. I tried it and liked some of it.

    And here we are again, five years later, and I look forward to any new innovation TS5 might offer and would not want it held back just because I wasn't ready to give up TS4. The great thing about the older games are we can return to them and add to them with mods, of things the teams never got to do or thought about adding and they will always be there as long as we keep a machine that can play them.

    I'm not one to stay stagnate and always look forward to the end of a series so I can see a new one. But hey, that's just me. (and EA). :)

    It is never helpful to put down how people post a comment. Whether they should say please, please, please can we get this or that compared to this bug has ticked me off or this bug or this gameplay is so annoying. It is never helpful to tell people how to relate what they feel or experience or how to say it. That control only forces more outrage of them feeling controlled and censored as if their point of view is invalid, or how they speak is invalid.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 4,476 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    You may not understand the negativity but without it TS4 would not be the game you play today. You may not understand but most negative polls, remarks, and upsets are in Feedback. Most players who are very passionate about wanting changes and improvements to the game, don't enter the General Disccussion forum, they, we, me keep our negativity over in Feedback where hopefully we helped get some things added, changed and improved. However, after five years of asking and requesting things that never happen or are made worse by a new patch or pack starts to feel like being judged for our intuitive outlook on how to expand the game. Those who feel it's' perfect as is, since day one, without toddlers, pools, half walls, more building opitions, etc. sometimes don't help the enviornement here by entering negative threads which are asking for improvements, (and venting because of lack of improvement,) by saying go back and play Ts2, or Ts3 nor with saying they love it and it's perfect. That brings nothing to the table.

    You are all taking the credit for things that were probably being planned along the way in the first place. Negativity didn't work, it was those continually asking or even positively screaming for things to be added that got done. They wanted things not Sims 4 discontinued. Probably those who shouted loudest got first shot but how are we or you to know that for a fact? Bugs and improvements needed to be reported but not in a negative way. That is not the way to get things done. No. the negativity is from those who want Sims 4 to end and one that plays their way to go ahead. They might not get what they wish for.

    I have not always wanted TS4 to end. But it is five years old and I'm the type of player who looks forward to the next iteration. All of them have not went on longer than three to five years. By that time, I'm ready to see a new engine, new innovation, new animations, new simulation, new graphics, new gameplay, new direction.

    I would hate to think TS3 players never got their open world (which I thought was going to be very exciting and in a way it was) and CASt where they no longer had to use three different programs to create custom swatches and or recolors of things in both build and buy, just because I didn't want to see TS2 end. I looked forward to see what a new game would bring in innovation.

    I felt the same way about TS1, I loved that game, however, I would not have wanted it to not end and stop TS2 players from gaining generational gameplay, aging, foundations, decks, more than two story building and other new innovations like 3D. I loved TS1 but was excited to see TS2.

    I liked TS3 (but went back and forth to play TS2) and still I wasn't so into a game I couldn't allow myself to see new innovations in building and Sim design or graphics that I wasn't going to try TS4. I tried it and liked some of it.

    And here we are again, five years later, and I look forward to any new innovation TS5 might offer and would not want it held back just because I wasn't ready to give up TS4. The great thing about the older games are we can return to them and add to them with mods, of things the teams never got to do or thought about adding and they will always be there as long as we keep a machine that can play them.

    I'm not one to stay stagnate and always look forward to the end of a series so I can see a new one. But hey, that's just me. (and EA). :)

    It is never helpful to put down how people post a comment. Whether they should say please, please, please can we get this or that compared to this bug has ticked me off or this bug or this gameplay is so annoying. It is never helpful to tell people how to relate what they feel or experience or how to say it. That control only forces more outrage of them feeling controlled and censored as if their point of view is invalid, or how they speak is invalid.

    But you are doing precisely what you don't like others doing.

    I'm the one who feels ticked off and censored but nevermind I abdicate. It's all up to EA/Maxis anyway and what you or I say doesn't make any difference. It hasn't yet has it?
  • Mermaid_cats_ownerMermaid_cats_owner Posts: 1 New Member
    [quote="Rouenpucelle;d-962915"]I'm pretty new here, so I'm kind of curious about the forum. I have experienced a surprisingly large number of threads that seem to be unhappy or negative about every aspect of the game, including the logos, loading screens, new packs, and overall mechanics. Do you also experience the mood as negative or unhappy? Does this happen every time something new is announced, or every time a new pack comes out? Has the forum been overall positive/happy about any of the previous packs? [/quote]

    I'm new here too and can't find any information I need just these negative posts :(
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,269 Member
    I'm pretty new here, so I'm kind of curious about the forum. I have experienced a surprisingly large number of threads that seem to be unhappy or negative about every aspect of the game, including the logos, loading screens, new packs, and overall mechanics. Do you also experience the mood as negative or unhappy? Does this happen every time something new is announced, or every time a new pack comes out? Has the forum been overall positive/happy about any of the previous packs?

    I'm new here too and can't find any information I need just these negative posts :(
    This place is pretty big, which is probably why you can’t find information. Let me try and help you:

    - topics with questions (and info) about Expeansion packs

    - topics with questions (and info) about Game packs

    - a general section with topics discussing Sims 4. Most topics neutral/positive/sharing experiences

    - people speculating, looking forward to new (potential) content for Sims 4

    - a section where people share their ideas for Sims 4

    - the creative corner: a treasure chest of people sharing their stories, buildings and other experiences in Sims 4

    - and then, last but not least, the danger zone: feedback. Meant to give feedback about the game (and for some of us this franchise as a whole). Some with a negative starting point, some with a positive starting point, some neutral and asking for an opinion. This is where the passionate discussions and arguments take place, all started from one given: love and passion for this franchise. Lots of people disagreeing here, so not the place to turn to if you don’t like that. It’s one section among many though.
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 859 Member
    Perhaps I'm not searching hard enough but I've always found more game play sharing and discussion posts than feedback threads. (which are for whatever reason now considered negative)
    Even if there are more than 'usual' they're still very easy to ignore. Really, the only thing negative are the multiple threads popping up trying to police and silence feedback. It's odd to me. Laissez faire. :)
    You open the closet, it's just a closet. You never find the monster that hides inside. Not until it jumps out at you.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 13,227 Member
    edited July 29
    It's not difficult to ignore the critical threads. For the most part just stay out of the feedback forum. :p

    The problem is avoiding the negativity in threads outside of the feedback forum. As @Hermitgirl mentioned one way around this is to definitely compose your topic so there's no misunderstanding that you're interested in replies from simmers who are enjoying and having fun with the game. Of course that doesn't always circumvent negativity spilling over into general game-play threads but for the most part simmers disenchanted with the game flock to feedback where they can commiserate with like minded simmers.

    And when I use the word negativity I'm not talking about genuine constructive criticism, which is always welcome, but comments that frequently use derogatory terms in referring to the game and the developers.

    ETA: Just wanted to add that since first responding to this thread I've come across two posts in two separate threads by the same respondent making comments totally unrelated to TS4 topic at hand while also mentioning a previous version and inferring that TS4 is inferior to said version. Thankfully subsequent responders showed good judgement in ignoring the comments and just continuing the discussion. I think this is the best way of keeping threads on topic. Silence or ignoring is more effective when posters try to derail a topic.
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • PlainConeyPlainConey Posts: 40 Member
    lmao this thread is *eye opens*
    I agree that there are negative folks here, but I also do agree that negativity is what makes games playable because it allows constructive criticism. Even though I'm fine with the way things are, if the game only hears the feedback from people like me... even I wouldn't want to continue playing. LOL.
    I came to this forum because I don't have any friend who plays the sims around me. Being able to share what fun things happened in my game and interact with people anonymously has helped me cope with the feeling of being alienated from my peers when we talk about games :) Tha lack of interaction was what made me so innocent, but as I read more and more criticism to ts4, I started to understand that a fun gameplay doesn't always equal a fun game. And it's a good thing to know, I guess.
    tumblr_pveqn05fFL1u5990do1_r7_1280.png
  • GooseyGoosey Posts: 74 Member
    I always complain about things i love, especially if they are broken god awful messes like Sims 4.

    Hope they can ease off releases for a bit and make the game run better. I don't want more expansions or gamepacks if it just breaks more of the game and doesn't fix any of the many bugs that are still causing problems in the game.
    Windows 7 64 Bit, LG 32" Ultrawide, 4770k i7, 1080 GTX, 32 Gigabricks of the Ram, SSD?
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 1,888 Member
    There's plenty of positive threads, and people sharing their sims 4 pictures. You just gotta look out for those type of threads. Anyway, a lot people are just voicing their feedback to Ea, I'm personally not pleased with sims 4 and I hope they take our opinions into consideration when or if they make a sims 5.
    tumblr_inline_orlq69j5Dg1rx5a1o_540.gif[img][/img]
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 4,476 Member
    edited July 29
    Don't ignore the Feedback threads if you enjoy Sims 4. Add to the positive ones and keep them at the top of the list. Ignore the negative ones and leave them to their disappointments. :)

    Otherwise......I always find this category the most interesting and optimistic these days.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/speculation-and-rumor
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 738 Member
    edited July 29
    I would wager that the attitude of the forum is represented by what pack recently came out. When Get Famous was the newest EP, people in the forum were generally happy. Since Island Paradise is the newest and it failed quite a few expectations (for example, scuba diving is pointless), it gave those who wanted to complain... a reason to complain. Again.

    That and I really don't think the developers care about the community. But I'm just spitballing. I don't come on the forum too often.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 4,476 Member
    I would wager that the attitude of the forum is represented by what pack recently came out. When Get Famous was the newest EP, people in the forum were generally happy. Since Island Paradise is the newest and it failed quite a few expectations (for example, scuba diving is pointless), it gave those who wanted to complain... a reason to complain. Again.

    That and I really don't think the developers care about the community. But I'm just spitballing. I don't come on the forum too often.

    I haven't even got round to scuba diving yet. I've got other fish to fry in Sulani. :)

    SimGurus probably come here just to look at the pictures. Theres' some very funny ones. I know a few do check in sometimes to read comments ....or have done in the past.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 30,603 Member
    edited July 29
    Simburian wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    You may not understand the negativity but without it TS4 would not be the game you play today. You may not understand but most negative polls, remarks, and upsets are in Feedback. Most players who are very passionate about wanting changes and improvements to the game, don't enter the General Disccussion forum, they, we, me keep our negativity over in Feedback where hopefully we helped get some things added, changed and improved. However, after five years of asking and requesting things that never happen or are made worse by a new patch or pack starts to feel like being judged for our intuitive outlook on how to expand the game. Those who feel it's' perfect as is, since day one, without toddlers, pools, half walls, more building opitions, etc. sometimes don't help the enviornement here by entering negative threads which are asking for improvements, (and venting because of lack of improvement,) by saying go back and play Ts2, or Ts3 nor with saying they love it and it's perfect. That brings nothing to the table.

    You are all taking the credit for things that were probably being planned along the way in the first place. Negativity didn't work, it was those continually asking or even positively screaming for things to be added that got done. They wanted things not Sims 4 discontinued. Probably those who shouted loudest got first shot but how are we or you to know that for a fact? Bugs and improvements needed to be reported but not in a negative way. That is not the way to get things done. No. the negativity is from those who want Sims 4 to end and one that plays their way to go ahead. They might not get what they wish for.

    I have not always wanted TS4 to end. But it is five years old and I'm the type of player who looks forward to the next iteration. All of them have not went on longer than three to five years. By that time, I'm ready to see a new engine, new innovation, new animations, new simulation, new graphics, new gameplay, new direction.

    I would hate to think TS3 players never got their open world (which I thought was going to be very exciting and in a way it was) and CASt where they no longer had to use three different programs to create custom swatches and or recolors of things in both build and buy, just because I didn't want to see TS2 end. I looked forward to see what a new game would bring in innovation.

    I felt the same way about TS1, I loved that game, however, I would not have wanted it to not end and stop TS2 players from gaining generational gameplay, aging, foundations, decks, more than two story building and other new innovations like 3D. I loved TS1 but was excited to see TS2.

    I liked TS3 (but went back and forth to play TS2) and still I wasn't so into a game I couldn't allow myself to see new innovations in building and Sim design or graphics that I wasn't going to try TS4. I tried it and liked some of it.

    And here we are again, five years later, and I look forward to any new innovation TS5 might offer and would not want it held back just because I wasn't ready to give up TS4. The great thing about the older games are we can return to them and add to them with mods, of things the teams never got to do or thought about adding and they will always be there as long as we keep a machine that can play them.

    I'm not one to stay stagnate and always look forward to the end of a series so I can see a new one. But hey, that's just me. (and EA). :)

    It is never helpful to put down how people post a comment. Whether they should say please, please, please can we get this or that compared to this bug has ticked me off or this bug or this gameplay is so annoying. It is never helpful to tell people how to relate what they feel or experience or how to say it. That control only forces more outrage of them feeling controlled and censored as if their point of view is invalid, or how they speak is invalid.

    But you are doing precisely what you don't like others doing.

    I'm the one who feels ticked off and censored but nevermind I abdicate. It's all up to EA/Maxis anyway and what you or I say doesn't make any difference. It hasn't yet has it?

    I hope I don't do as you say. I'm just ready to move on and see TS5, but Realm of Magic might be interesting. I also have posted dozens of positive threads concerning Dine Out, and Vampires and other things I liked, so I think I'm a fair judge of the things I like and don't like.

    I have my site load set on Categories, so I can distinquish between Feedback and General Discussion, I have rarely entered general unless it was to post a few years ago in something funny that happened in the game into a general discussion thread.

    I think having my settings set that way (On Categories) rather than saved to the Discussions section allows me to not make a mistake and post in General, but have have to click the link to Feedback and there know it would be safe to post a negative reaction to something and or ask for a poll etc. Because polls are feedback in my view, too. I didn't make any thread concerning the new rebrand there were dozens of those complaint threads already started by Simmers who actually play TS4 everyday.

    I will agree saying something is lame and not explaining why is not very helpful, but so is saying something is great and not explaining why.
    However, I feel both are an expression and for those who understand why if players are talking among themselves and not talking at developers then both to me are self explanatory. Because those who know something is lame can relate and those who know somthing is great doesn't really need to explain that, either in my view. I'm a big proponant of letting people vent because in that venting is many reasons they are unhappy and or very happy, and find things out about a game that is bothering them though they may not be able to focus on the real problem of a game. Just listing problems doesn't really do much if someoen doesn't vent and we see how it all relates to what they expected because in the end they are a consumer and no such thing as a fan, a consumer has to spend real money and I feel they have the rigth to speak to why it didn't perform and or adhere to their expectations after being lured in with a play trailer.

    ETA: And you are right, none of my requests but one came to fruition, and that was creating vampires in the old style of myth, and movies. None of the other requests or commplaints have ever been fixed and or implemented.

    ETA: And on topic, the OP is coming to the game when most of the other games would be winding down. But TS4 is five and will continue and by that time in any of them they have more bugs by the fifth year and the code becomes sauce and a mess, so it's no wonder the OP sees more negativity since the game is now Old compared to newer technology out in the last few years (look at Unity game engine) and stacking up on gameplay issues and bugs and somewhat lean GPs sold as EPs.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • AlexcielAlexciel Posts: 38 Member
    Well, coding in group is difficult. I remember coding a game when I was in college. And whenever we switched places we broke the code of the other. I guess on a complex game like The Sims this problem is multiplied for googol. Not only adding things can break code, fixing things can break code too.
    Packs: Get to work, Get together, City Living, Cats & Dogs, Get Famous, Outdoor Retreat, Vampires, Jungle Adventure, Strangerville, Romantic Garden, Spooky Stuff.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top