Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More New Computer ?'s

kamra19610kamra19610 Posts: 461 Member
So I have a new computer with windows 10 and it has an ssd and a hdd in it. I am running windows on the ssd and also orian and the sims 2 game, (I think, have not even finished downloading yet) but I don't want the other stuff like saved games and downloads to go on the ssd. How or can I even make it go to the hdd? How as so much of that just automatically goes on the same drive.

Comments

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    What size is your SSD? And how much free space do you currently have?

You would have to move your entire My Documents drive to the HDD.

I see you have a Sims 3 avatar moving My Documents to the HDD would mean that you would lose out of SSD speed for loading your CC and your saves. So keep that in mind.

I personally don't have Sims 2 on my SSD. Sims 2 doesn't really have anything where the increase speed of a SSD makes a huge impact. At least not to me. If you're constantly in and out of CAS or you constantly change outfits for your Sims and/or hair styles you may have a bigger impact of putting the game on your SSD. It's not like Sims 3 with the open world and the game constantly needing to keep track of and think of things. And the tech is much better than what the game was designed around as well.

I have My Documents folder on my SSD and I don't have issues with the game being installed on one drive but the save files and CC being on another.
  • kamra19610kamra19610 Posts: 461 Member
    Thank you Seera for that info, it was very helpfull. So do I just do a copy, past, and delete to move my My Documents from SSD to HDD? Will that stop my downloads from MTS etc from auto going to my SSD? I hope so. I have Sims 3 and 4 as well, but never play 3 because my old system just could not manage it. I don't know if I will put it on my new PC or forget it. Don't belive my SSD is all that big as Windows is on it and takes up almost half the space. It looks like it is 118 GB. I will download Sims 4 though, but it runs easy so should I go ahead and put in on my HDD? I have 4 TB of HDD. I am just learning about SSD and my daughter just built this PC for me but she is still learning. This is just her third one. Again thank you so very much for your input.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    118 GB isn't a standard size SSD.

But if 118 GB was what Capacity is saying it's probably a 125 GB drive and then you do want to move that My Documents folder to the HDD. I don't know how much space is on your SSD but if you could only keep 1 game/program whatever on the SSD I would give the following preference:
    1. Sims 3
    2. Sims 4 or Sims 2, whichever you play more of the two
    3. Sims 4 or Sims 2, whichever you play less of

Origin has no need to be on the SSD so if space is an issue I would first move Origin off of the SSD.

It takes some more work to get Windows to recognize the moving of My Documents than just copying and pasting as everything that references it needs updating. It's a simple process to do this since Microsoft has realized that people may want to move that folder. Though they don't have any official instructions for it.

Here's a link that goes over the process: https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-change-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10/

I chose this one due to it's simplicity. But let me know if you get to a step and can't find what you're looking for. I don't have a Windows 10 computer so be as descriptive as you can with what options you are seeing.
  • kamra19610kamra19610 Posts: 461 Member
    Wow you are so very helpful. Thank you again. I have been using windows 7 on my old computer so have to learn 10. But I will get there though not as quick as when I was younger.