Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do CAS stories seem useless?

Comments

• MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    edited July 2019
    No
    I don't think the CAS stories are useless. We have been asking for a way of creating a sims with a background, so they don't arrive in the world as young adults, adults or elders without any kind of knowledge (skills). We don't need this to create background for npc and townies, the game does it by itself.

But, creating this background using a quizz is just an enormous turn off for me. I want to be able to create these backgrounds (aspiration, traits, careers, skills and funds) choosing it all by myself.

I know that a couple of days after this update, the players will complain that this quizz is too long, or the questions are irrelevant, or the results are corresponding to not much.

And this will end up being a waste of time, while we still won't be able to create a background story according to our likings.

• RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes
    I went with yes since it's closer than no to how I feel but I don't think it's completely useless.
    It's just not what they are saying it to be. It will not change sims personality-wise at all. They will be the same wishy-washy sims as they were before. There is a lot of other things people have wanted that would actually give them more personality.

Now being able to do this is nice, instead of cheating it in place. Can't disagree there. But why in the plum is it a quiz?! And even more bizzare, one that gives a result I can't change?! Madness! Just make the quiz an optional fun thing to do if we want, but for goodness sake also let us decide these things at will if we want to.
    Now I'm not 100% on this but it seems this doesn't come with the addition of sim biographies? So what is the point in it then? :/
    Post edited by RIP-Troika-Games on
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    No
    I think this feature has potential to evolve into something even better. For people who are rotational players or who colonize their maps with their own households, it can be quite useful for making our own "townies" with a bit of background and a few skills without having to play them or use cheats.

I can see this eventually developing into a more intricate Sim creation tool. The story questions are fine, but the real diamond in the rough is being able to begin play with skills and careers. I'm hoping that this evolves into a "points" system that will eventually allow us to spend those points on skills, finances, jobs, and (hopefully new!) personality traits. Elders would begin with the most points and children would have the least. It would be an awesome way to have developed Sims with cohesive personalities and backgrounds from the start. Fully optional, of course, so that people who want to actually earn those things through gameplay like we do now, could still do that. They should never eliminate an original feature for a new one. Only add more options.

So I do like the concept.
    #Team Occult
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Yes
    For me yes as I won’t use the feature. When I create sims I know what I am creating or as I create them I get a feel for their traits
    and I like playing them from scratch with no skills etc. Also I don’t like how the traits and aspiration are locked so you then can’t change them if you don’t like what the game has given you. However I can see how others will use and like it.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    No
    Not at all. I think its a great idea.

Although I honestly think it should have been in the game from the beginning. Still, I like it :smiley:
    giphy.gif
  • AntonAnton Posts: 35 Member
    No
    I want a true story mode where u get quests etc. and story progression.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    No
    I like having almost all the houses in my game inhabited, and I've always found it frustrating to have to do a lot of cheating so they aren't all sprung-from-the-womb-as-adults but seem to have had lives. (Gallery Sims also rarely have any skills etc.) I'm looking forward to having an alternative way to make those Sim households.

Agreed. Not sure how this could ever be considered useless since it will be used a lot in lots of players games.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    No
    It saves having to go in and cheat skills and jobs if you are setting up your worlds. I've always hated that sims start with nothing when they have supposedly lived their lives up to that age point.

But I can see that quiz being extremely annoying after a while.

What would have been better is to have had the options -
    • normal
    • story
    • randomiser

If you pick normal, you just get the old style cas
    If you picked story, you get to do the quiz
    If you pick randomiser, you could select a number for skills - say 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 and it would randomise and give them that many skills. So, if you picked 4, it would give you 4 random skills at random levels. Then a randomiser for a job and job level. Same sort of result as the story, but faster.
  • sims_3_4_playersims_3_4_player Posts: 1 New Member
    Yes
    Dude every one has different opinions. for me the are not totally bad nor good. so people might assist it or not. they might say they are good they might not, every one and his opinion.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Yes
    I can see it being really fun and useful for a lot of people, but I answered the poll for myself. I have a lot of Sims in my library and often use them as bases for whatever Sims I build in CAS. Building the personality first cuts off how I build looks. For challenges, the trait randomizer is perfect.

I do really like that story mode will give Sims skills and change the starting money, though. I tend to use cheats to set my Sims up before hitting play, so I do that myself, but again, I see how this will be great for a lot of people.

That's one thing I wasn't thinking about: are traits and aspirations locked in downloaded sims too? That would ruin a lot!!
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • ImSandsImSands Posts: 332 Member
    No
    I like this new option of creating sims with some kind of career and starting off skills. And it will help me create a little bit more varied Sims for my worlds. Im looking forward to it!
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    No
    I would love it if you could change the starting info manually or create it from scratch, instead of having to go through the story. I could see people just refreshing to get the right questions to start with certain skills/money/etc.. I'm not sure how often I'll use it, more for generally populating the world with sims. But it doesn't take anything away from the game, so I'm happy to have it as an option.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's not about TS4 pc game. This will be great for a mobile or console player once they get this feature.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Yes
    I'm not a fan of it. The early skills are ok but the quizzes.. Nope... They'll have the option of shutting it off and that's what I'm going to be doing.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    Yes
    I'd rather we were free to choose the skills, funds and characteristics ourselves. So much for 'you rule'.

I think that's where I also find it as a useless tool. Why not just give players the option to create the Sims' backstory instead of having them answer questions to pre-generate a story for them. It just seems to go against what the Sims was created for.
    Yes
    I like having almost all the houses in my game inhabited, and I've always found it frustrating to have to do a lot of cheating so they aren't all sprung-from-the-womb-as-adults but seem to have had lives. (Gallery Sims also rarely have any skills etc.) I'm looking forward to having an alternative way to make those Sim households.

Agreed. Not sure how this could ever be considered useless since it will be used a lot in lots of players games.

I guess "useless" wasn't the right word but I was trying to point out that no matter what outcome you get with the traits, skills, funds, career, etc. your Sims will still have the same flat personalities they have now. Simmers point out that they might get Sims with traits they never usually select but in the end, I have yet to see traits affect my Sims' behaviors ever since playing Sims 4.

But I do understand why people are excited for this feature but I still don't get the purpose of the quiz. They should have just added options in CAS to allow the players to select skills, careers and starting funds on their own if that's what players wanted.
    Yes
    Dude every one has different opinions. for me the are not totally bad nor good. so people might assist it or not. they might say they are good they might not, every one and his opinion.

I created this post for everyone to share their opinions to get a feel for what others think. Not bashing anyone's thoughts just wanted to open up the discussion! :)
    Yes
    BMSO wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of it. The early skills are ok but the quizzes.. Nope... They'll have the option of shutting it off and that's what I'm going to be doing.

I just feel the quiz doesn't make any sense. The questions are too direct to make it seem like a fun random experience. It's like if you were doing a buzzfeed quiz that asks "Are you and indoor person or and outdoor person?" and the first question is "On the weekend would you: A) Go outside to the beach or B) Stay inside and play video games". What's the point of the quiz if you can manipulate it to give you the answers you're hoping for?
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Yes
    I find them useless because of the quiz. It may be good for a random sim, but not if you have a specific idea for the sim in mind. If I want to set up sims with specific jobs, lifestyle, skills, etc, I still will be doing it way I always have.
  • pegasusventricepegasusventrice Posts: 56 Member
    No
    I think for those who want to use it (like me) it's going to be great. Otherwise they have left you the option of not doing it and going about the route we do now.
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    No
    Nope! I will definitely be using this feature every time I go into CAS. I am so uninspired when creating Sims and I always use the same storyline of a single woman, starts of her career, meets a man, has a family, I definitely needed some inspiration and something to change it up a bit!
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    No
    Useless? In general, no. I mean, to me personally, the randomise button is already useless, and this is just a more creative, albeit more restricting version of that, but people who don't like or care to assign traits and aspirations themselves might find it great.

So far they haven't said if you can also assign starting skills and a job to sims that were created the old-fashioned way, because that would be somewhat useful for me... Not much, because getting a job and getting a skill to level 3 is a matter of minutes, but at least it would add some more customisation to CAS. I'll just wait and see before I judge.

Yeah, I don’t know the extent to how this will work, but it’s be cool if you could choose the job level at which your sims start off at in CAS. I enjoy starting telling so I feel this is a good way to start off each one!
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    No
    I'll certainly use the option for Sims, though not all the time.

For everyone saying "well, just use cheats": not everyone knows how to or wants to. There are players out there (and not just a handful) who are casual one or who play without cheats, some don't even know that cheats are an option, unless they maybe accidentally activated the cheat window. It's a nice little addition to CAS and while it might be useless to some, it's going to be useful to others.
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    No
    There are players out there (and not just a handful) who are casual one or who play without cheats

One of these players is definitely me. I don’t like playing with cheats but I’m hoping Realm of Magic will have spells/charms for improving needs, relationships, skills, career etc so I can advance in my game without feeling like I’m cheating.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Yes
    Ok well to me yes. I get that for other simmers this is useful, but is it something that is really a game-changer? No. And is that what we need right now? Yes.

I do like that your sims can start with a job, skills? (is it?) and a certain fund, but is this even possible without making this quiz? I would like to create MY OWN sims, thank you.