Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Redesigning the Redesign.

Love the idea of an S4 rebranding, but find the redesign upsets your design sensibilities? Feel free to Post your version and/or suggestions here! (First time creating a discussion, so hope this is in the right section!).

Here's mine. I was lazy and only did one for each DLC type though.
OhaQvwr.jpg

8rwOVbY.jpg

These are the GP and SP covers. I really liked how the redesign had a colourful background, but found the colours didn't match, and were too busy, so here, I used the original colours behind, but didn't bring it all the way. I thought this helped the sims stand out a bit, without it being too overwhelming. On a side note, I hated doing parenthood because the new cover has the teen closer to her mum, but I couldn't find a render for that, so I had to do some editing, so it took a little while.

PYRld9o.jpg

Here is my version of the XP cover. Again, I loved the brightness of the re-design, but found the EP covers waaay to similar to the GP covers, which sucks a little for people with colour blindness. That said, this cover still isn't great, as I'm sure people with red-green colour blindess would have difficulty seeing the logo, but I wanted to keep the get famous colours. I pulled the background all the way across the cover this time, because it's an EP cover, so it's something exciting, and should stand out on shelves.

I'm not sure how it works in America, but in Aus, the rating is generally down the bottom left, which is where the S4 logo sits in the redesign. Obvs, this had to be changed so I kept the logo big, and up the top across all 3 covers.

Comments

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    You did a better job than EA.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    @Jordan061102 Thank you!
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Love the idea of an S4 rebranding, but find the redesign upsets your design sensibilities? Feel free to Post your version and/or suggestions here! (First time creating a discussion, so hope this is in the right section!).

OhaQvwr.jpg

8rwOVbY.jpg

These are the GP and SP covers. I really liked how the redesign had a colourful background, but found the colours didn't match, and were too busy, so here, I used the original colours behind, but didn't bring it all the way. I thought this helped the sims stand out a bit, without it being too overwhelming. On a side note, I hated doing parenthood because the new cover has the teen closer to her mum, but I couldn't find a render for that, so I had to do some editing, so it took a little while.

PYRld9o.jpg

Here is my version of the XP cover. Again, I loved the brightness of the re-design, but found the EP covers waaay to similar to the GP covers, which plum a little for people with colour blindness. That said, this cover still isn't great, as I'm sure people with red-green colour blindess would have difficulty seeing the logo, but I wanted to keep the get famous colours. I pulled the background all the way across the cover this time, because it's an EP cover, so it's something exciting, and should stand out on shelves.

I'm not sure how it works in America, but in Aus, the rating is generally down the bottom left, which is where the S4 logo sits in the redesign. Obvs, this had to be changed so I kept the logo big, and up the top across all 3 covers.

giphy.gif

This looks so much better than what whoever EA hired did, what the hell, ahahahaha
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    Wow! Amazing job!
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Wow!! Love these!! Fantastic job, EA should hire you to fix theirs.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    nice image but wrong rating the game is rated t for teens
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Looks great! EA should hire you to teach Photoshop to their design team. :lol:
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    edited July 2019

In some countries, I think Australia, its actually rated 18+ or Mature or something.

edit: I was wrong its rated 15+ and mature in Australia
    Post edited by Techbilt on
  • rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member
    This looks beautifull especially the expansion one love the colors if they would’ve done something like this that would have been amazing
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    These look much better and are easier on the eyes. I love these. :smiley:
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Much better than the mess EA came up with.
  • DyingLightDyingLight Posts: 309 Member
    I prefer EA's covers, they look modern and fresh. Your concept is good, but it has been tried many times before.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Agree with the majority your covers are better. Am presuming your ratings are for California, not the rest of the world.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2019
    I was with you until I got to the Get Famous one. In my humble opinion, I think you need to add some kind of depth to "The Sims 4 logo" up top so that it stands out from the pink. The blue from the font is blending too much into the pink. So you need to add like a shadow or something. The white font for the words Get Famous is perfect. Other than that, it's a cool design.
    Techbilt wrote: »

In some countries, I think Australia, its actually rated 18+ or Mature or something.

I never knew this.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited July 2019
    I still think the original current ones before the patch are better. I must be alone on this but it bothers me so much seeing the sims 4 logo so small in the bottom of the box, the renders doesn't look good in full view and the colors are horrendous.
    Renato10 wrote: »
    I still think the original current ones before the patch are better. I must be alone on this but it bothers me so much seeing the sims 4 logo so small in the bottom of the box, the renders doesn't look good in full view and the colors are horrendous.

Yeah idk why they made them so small lol
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited July 2019

OhaQvwr.jpg

8rwOVbY.jpg

PYRld9o.jpg

Here is my version of the XP cover. Again, I loved the brightness of the re-design, but found the EP covers waaay to similar to the GP covers, which plum a little for people with colour blindness. That said, this cover still isn't great, as I'm sure people with red-green colour blindess would have difficulty seeing the logo, but I wanted to keep the get famous colours. I pulled the background all the way across the cover this time, because it's an EP cover, so it's something exciting, and should stand out on shelves.

Why does it have an "M" rating????

PS: Nice work! I like them!
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    edited July 2019
    from a wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Classification_Board

Mature (M) – Recommended for people aged 15 years and over. People under 15 may legally access this material because it is an advisory category. This category contains material that may require a mature perspective, but is not deemed too strong for younger viewers. The content is moderate in impact, although the "Moderate" indicator prefix is no longer used in the consumer advice, eg. "Moderate violence" is referred to as "Violence".
    • Themes may have a moderate sense of threat or menace, if justified by context.
    • Moderate violence is permitted, if "justified by context". Sexual violence should be very limited and justified by context.
    • Sexual activity should be discreetly implied, if "justified by context".
    • Coarse Language may be used. Aggressive or strong coarse language should be infrequent and justified by context.
    • Drug use and nudity should be justified by context.

My guess is Woohoo and "Juice"/Alcohol.

Mature (M) – Recommended for people aged 15 years and over. People under 15 may legally access this material because it is an advisory category. This category contains material that may require a mature perspective, but is not deemed too strong for younger viewers. The content is moderate in impact, although the "Moderate" indicator prefix is no longer used in the consumer advice, eg. "Moderate violence" is referred to as "Violence".
    • Themes may have a moderate sense of threat or menace, if justified by context.
    • Moderate violence is permitted, if "justified by context". Sexual violence should be very limited and justified by context.
    • Coarse Language may be used. Aggressive or strong coarse language should be infrequent and justified by context.

Ah, I see. So it's rated M in Australia. In the US they break it down further to T (Teen) or M (Mature).

People are saying that EAxis is trying to rebrand TS4 as a game for younger children, pre-teen and below. Others are saying the rebranding is aimed mostly at young women.

So exactly what plans does EAxis have for this game?

This game is such a mess!
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    Wow! Thanks for the comments and feedback everyone!

@ClarionOfJoy Yes, Sims4 is M in Australia (sorry for the confusion, all of you American simmers!), for the Woohoo and online features (according to my covers), but surprisingly not the juice (alcohol reference) or the 'bubble blower' (drug reference).

I think someone in another forum told me our M is like the American T rating, but some parents, if they're strict or conservative, would be a bit unhappy with letting a 12-14 yr old play an M-rated game, or at least, would want to play it through first. I still think rating sims 4 as M is weird, as it's in with games that show more blood/themes such as sherlock holmes (murder?!) and the final fantasy games, as well as online games such as elder scrolls, where the chat, I imagine, is a lot worse than S4's gallery.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited July 2019

Ah, I see. So it's rated M in Australia. In the US they break it down further to T (Teen) or M (Mature).

People are saying that EAxis is trying to rebrand TS4 as a game for younger children, pre-teen and below. Others are saying the rebranding is aimed mostly at young women.

I guess it applies both, young audience and accordingly literally by SimGuruDrake - anyone young (so not just teens?) that's female is their target audience they're aiming for (besides, gender rating doesn't exist). Magority of players are female? Possibly true. Foolish (euphemism to evade a warning) move to target and cater onlyspecific gender group? Yes (albeit I don't how they can and are doing with what they release so far. How any of present content is specific to the player's gender and how they're making it cater said audience (clothing sex ration doesn't count, as females in real life have large assessment of fashion variety) - I'll never know)
    NNpYlHF.jpg

I guess it applies both, young audience and accordingly literally by SimGuruDrake - anyone young (so not just teens?) that's female is their target audience they're aiming for (besides, gender rating doesn't exist). Magority of players are female? Possibly true. Foolish (euphemism to evade a warning) move to target and cater onlyspecific gender group? Yes (albeit I don't how they can and are doing with what they release so far. How any of present content is specific to the player's gender and how they're making it cater said audience (clothing sex ration doesn't count, as females in real life have large assessment of fashion variety) - I'll never know)

This is just sad. Because all the previous iterations were aimed at pretty much everyone and those iterations had a wide variety of players. Why would they want to limit their customer base for TS4 to young children and female teens? I think it's because everyone else doesn't like it. Another indication that it's not doing well.

I don't mind EAxis trying to save TS4, but if that's the case, then they should fully work on making TS5 amazing and release it while they're still making packs for TS4. Otherwise, if they continue to drag out TS4's run for many more years, all the simmers they've lost will stop waiting for TS5 and just go somewhere else. The competition sees that EA has dropped the ball and they haven't been idle.

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I read somewhere around 2015-16 that the target audience is young teen females (13-14) which almost guarantees those a bit younger will get it as well, or at least have access. This goes a long way to explain the nature of the game as we now have it, bland and simplistic. The game is a cash cow that EA will continue to milk as long as it stays on the profitable side of the curve. As all products do, sooner or later this will go to the liability side of the curve. I agree with you. Not appealing to a wide market not only shortens product life but gives users of that product less incentive to stick with it. This rebranding says they intend to drag TS4 out for as long as possible, making it increasingly likely your concern will happen. All very sad.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    Too late though.
    They are already packaged games with the new branding.

Do they market test this stuff?
    Besides people who will say yes to anything they do because of the perks they can get?
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    edited July 2019
    CK213 wrote: »
    Too late though.
    They are already packaged games with the new branding.

Do they market test this stuff?
    Besides people who will say yes to anything they do because of the perks they can get?

I have thought of the same thing.

Why not test it with the public, after testing it internally, to see the reaction of the majority of the player base, and THEN send the package prints to the manufacturers to produce the physical copies and promotional billboards to retailers ? EA just does the opposite of everything logical.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1