Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are they rebranding ?

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited July 2019
    The re-branding is not getting a lot of hate. It's getting hate from the same people who hate Sims 4 anyway. I see the same Forum and Twitter names. Usually nobody likes change but they get used to it. I hope the team get more self-confidence with the re-branding.

The 16th July Patch is a great update for builders to experiment with for a start. It'll keep them busy for some time. :)

I don't care what age the game is aimed at. Tantrum!!!!!! If I want to play it I will. I can always kill off the Teens and Young Adults! I used to get rid of them to the Universities before!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    The re-branding is not getting a lot of hate. It's getting hate from the same people who hate Sims 4 anyway. I see the same Forum and Twitter names. Usually nobody likes change but they get used to it. I hope the team get more self-confidence with the re-branding.

The 16th July Patch is a great update for builders to experiment with for a start. It'll keep them busy for some time. :)

I don't care what age the game is aimed at. Tantrum!!!!!! If I want to play it I will. I can always kill off the Teens and Young Adults! I used to get rid of them to the Universities before!

I don't see the same 'haters' but those who really like this game are starting to complain. What I see is the same defenders defending anything and every thing. It could be it makes some uncomfortable because it reminds them of when their pcs crashed with the blue screen of death back in the day. That might jar some into wondering if the game is actually loading or not. Just a thought.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i add forgoten all about the blue screen of death had to deal with that when i was on window 8.1 but not anymore since i am on windows 10
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    i add forgoten all about the blue screen of death had to deal with that when i was on window 8.1 but not anymore since i am on windows 10

Simmers have a lot of bad memories of the BSOD all the way back to TS1. I think that is one main reason they don't like the plain blue loading screen with just a green plumbbob on it. I could be wrong, but there is a strong dislike of it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    as a player my toughs are that plain blue has resurface some bad memorys not all pcs are as advance as today @Cinebar
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    As a long time Simmer, I like the blue screen, lol, the white gave me headaches. Happy to see they finally change it. And if they want to add some little house icons/car icons/etc. in the screen and transparent, then it would look like TS2. :D Go for it.
    edited July 2019
    I haven't had a blue screen for years and years. The only time I had to resort to Microsoft for help was for an update failure. A very nice female techie there took over (with my permission), told me to go and have a cup of coffee and took half an hour to sort things out leaving me very grateful and happy. Very good PR on Microsoft's part which I wish EA had too.

The latest Windows 10 updates now go in update order from earlier to latest so one doesn't have the problem any more when updating older PCs and laptops. (that was the problem I had had as it had tried to give me the latest first). My experience went toward helping Microsoft in that regard. Everybody wins! :)

I also don't understand why people uninstall games they have paid for, unless they have space issues. If I bought something I am going to keep it on my machine even if I don't play it. It doesn't hurt them but hurts you. How does one know that there might be a huge improvement someday. I am an optimist. :)

I believe there is a limit on how many re-downloads you can do. Is that true?
    I haven't had a blue screen for years and years. The only time I had to resort to Microsoft for help was for an update failure. A very nice female techie there took over (with my permission), told me to go and have a cup of coffee and took half an hour to sort things out leaving me very grateful and happy. Very good PR on Microsoft's part which I wish EA had too.

The latest Windows 10 updates now go in update order from earlier to latest so one doesn't have the problem any more when updating older PCs and laptops. (that was the problem I had had as it had tried to give me the latest first). My experience went toward helping Microsoft in that regard. Everybody wins! :)

I also don't understand why people uninstall games they have paid for, unless they have space issues. If I bought something I am going to keep it on my machine even if I don't play it. It doesn't hurt them but hurts you. How does one know that there might be a huge improvement someday. I am an optimist. :)

I believe there is a limit on how many re-downloads you can do. Is that true?

Who are you asking?
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    > @NorthDakotaGamer said:
    > If the rebrand was to attract young teens, it fails. Showed pictures it to both my teen and pre-teen, and both said it looked ugly. They may be bias though, as they already were playing "mom's game."

Counter point: my 12yo loves the new covers and screens.
    Nothing is universal and for every teen and pre-teen who doesn't like it, there's another one that does.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    > @NorthDakotaGamer said:
    > If the rebrand was to attract young teens, it fails. Showed pictures it to both my teen and pre-teen, and both said it looked ugly. They may be bias though, as they already were playing "mom's game."

Counter point: my 12yo loves the new covers and screens.
    Nothing is universal and for every teen and pre-teen who doesn't like it, there's another one that does.

It did appeal to my 2 year old niece and 6 year old daughter. So in other words it appeals to very young children. They still love bright childish cartoons though.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2019
    I have no idea why they are rebranding. Slapping lipstick on a pig does nothing. The pig is still ugly and time and effort would have been wasted, making the pig an object of ridicule to boot.

Having said that, I hope that someone in a position of power has decided that the rebranding will be the first step in a reboot for TS4. I hope that it means that over nearly six years (TS4 starts its 6th year in September!) someone of importance has taken all of the voluminous complaints onboard. I hope that they have played the game extensively so that they would be exposed to the frustrations and disappointments that the consumer base has been dealing with for the last half-decade. I hope that they have tried to see the game through our eyes in order to fix the game's glaring weaknesses and omissions.

If that isn't the purpose of this rebranding exercise, it's been a waste of time and effort. For many of us, TS4 is still a pig.

TS4's new image does nothing for me. All it has done is to remind me of the original game in the franchise. To me, that's not a positive link because I have always thought of TS4 as an upgrade of that game, instead of the better games that followed. The Sims 1.5. Right now, it looks as if the team has gone out of its way to confirm my suspicions.

As innovative and fun as The Sims was when it launched, that was twenty years ago! Subsequent games have moved past it. Technology has flown past it. I'm not looking for TS4 to lean on nostalgia, I want it to catch up to the previous games' offerings and to surpass them. I would like TS4 to leap forward rather than looking backward. By now, the premier draw of the Sims -- the Sims themselves -- should be a technological and emotional marvel. They're not.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    would have been nice if they changed up the hints shown during loading while they're at it, I can not tell you how sick I am of the "Who do you do voo doo"-line :D
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    This makes zero sense to me . There is no point to this. I know sims 4 is going to have a longer lifespan. The loading screen is terrible. But we have lot of fixes,and stuff they can add . Why waste resources, and time on this?

it's a "fresh coat of paint"-thing, it's just what one does with old things that shall be used a while longer.
    It is not suppossed to make the game itself better or anything like that.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

Just seen the Amazon Prime advert for Amazon Prime Day today. It's using those bright light blues, just what the anti-re-branders dislike so much.

hint: If you are looking for a new machine to play Sims 4 it's a good day to buy a new PC before the day ends!
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    logion wrote: »
    They have said that the sims4 is going nowhere and that they are going to keep adding content.

The problem with that, as their higher-ups have probably told them, is that it is really difficult to sell a five year old game to people and claim that it is still new and relevant. So that's why they are rebranding their game to make it look like it was made in 2019. New logo and new sims with new clothes that they have added.

You never played WOW and all those other many games that keep coming out for years and years - huh? There are tons that last well over a decade and people including me even do keep buying... It's not a new thing - rpgs also do it for years and years. Mobile does it too.... Isn't Free Play like 11 now?

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-80s-and-90s-pc-games-still-unbelievably-being-updated-today/

Those are really old and a lots more are out there still getting new content made in early 2000's.

Game publishers are claiming this is also the trend of the future of gaming - for many more games...

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    Just seen the Amazon Prime advert for Amazon Prime Day today. It's using those bright light blues, just what the anti-re-branders dislike so much.

hint: If you are looking for a new machine to play Sims 4 it's a good day to buy a new PC before the day ends!

Why is it so 'hateful' to ask for a darker blue on the load screen? Just answer me that.
    Let's hope that the re-brand is the start of the 64bit only packs.

The Legacy Edition has lately been mentioned as coming late in the year though and I hope that Realm of Magic is a 64bit pack and not another 32/64bit one if it comes before it. That would be very disappointing.
    Techbilt wrote: »

Why is it so 'hateful' to ask for a darker blue on the load screen? Just answer me that.

You said "hateful" I didn't. You can ask for anything you like. I'm just pointing out that it is being used everywhere at the moment and I'm now getting a phobia about people making a fuss about it and now noticing it all over the place, England's cricket strip, childrens cricket stumps, every plumb TV advert.............Yikes! . Ask EA/Maxis to change it. Don't blame me.
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    edited July 2019
    Techbilt wrote: »

You said "hateful" I didn't. You can ask for anything you like. I'm just pointing out that it is being used everywhere at the moment and I'm now getting a phobia about people making a fuss about it and now noticing it all over the place, England's cricket strip, childrens cricket stumps, every plumb TV advert.............Yikes! . Ask EA/Maxis to change it. Don't blame me.

Except your making seem like I'm asking them for something absurd, like for them peel off their toenails or something. A lot of people have sensory issues, Migraine issues, other chronic conditions that the loading screen can exasperate. I have been told not by you but others that have said that a simple request such as asking for a darker loading screen is hateful, spiteful and that I should just be grateful, that I am blowing my physical ailment way out proportion. SOmething that can stop me from doing something I enjoy, and that I should just be grateful. I donlt know about you but I won't be grateful to anyone that hurts me, on purpose or not. I will never say "well thanks Donnie, I know you didn't mean to smack me with that Toe kick your carrying but I really appreciate the concussion." Especially not if they dont take the time to address concerns.

But also how often do we see those commercials, I don't have any commercials in my streaming packages, I rarely go onto Amazon, I don't have a TV cable package. Internet ads? I have an ad blocker, and even if I didn't it doesn't take up the ENTIRE screen. The sims 4 loading screen its a part of the game. I would even, very loosely, consider it gameplay(This is a STREEEEEEEETCH my leggy IS STREEEEEEEEEEAAAATCHED really far in this regard.), since it is APART OF THE GAME, it is a closed world its not a one time and done. Every time I use the Get to Work gameplay, when I use the Get Together Game play, when I make a sim, when I build a house, when I go to Sulani to use a beach if I decide to buy that, the loading screen it will be there. When I go to the park - loading screen, go to a hidden world loading screen. I could go on with the different activities that require a loading screen.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

I'm looking at the Amazon web page. I don't see a solid block of bright blue over the entire page?

PS: I looked at the gaming computers they have for this sale and they're really nicely priced. I wish I can buy one right now, but I can't till later this year or early next! *choke!* *sob!*
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    They have said that the sims4 is going nowhere and that they are going to keep adding content.

The problem with that, as their higher-ups have probably told them, is that it is really difficult to sell a five year old game to people and claim that it is still new and relevant. So that's why they are rebranding their game to make it look like it was made in 2019. New logo and new sims with new clothes that they have added.

You never played WOW and all those other many games that keep coming out for years and years - huh? There are tons that last well over a decade and people including me even do keep buying... It's not a new thing - rpgs also do it for years and years. Mobile does it too.... Isn't Free Play like 11 now?

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-80s-and-90s-pc-games-still-unbelievably-being-updated-today/

Those are really old and a lots more are out there still getting new content made in early 2000's.

Game publishers are claiming this is also the trend of the future of gaming - for many more games...

Pretty much every example you used is of a different genre than The Sims and RPGs. Mobile games and WoW are a complete different breed not only from The Sims, but each other.

Most RPGs remain single player and offline. The single player genre is thriving. There’s even a hugely anticipated RPG coming out soon called Cyberpunk 2077. Completely offline and single player.

The only company that believed that games are heading into multiplayer online and service-based was EA. And look how that turned out; a joke. SimCity 5 flopped and the franchise has been reduced to mobile gaming scraps, Sims 4’s development was plagued, and they’re still suffering from problems from believing that nonsense.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Don't forget about Anthem.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    Don't forget about Anthem.

Anthem has sunken even deeper than Titanic.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

I'm looking at the Amazon web page. I don't see a solid block of bright blue over the entire page?

PS: I looked at the gaming computers they have for this sale and they're really nicely priced. I wish I can buy one right now, but I can't till later this year or early next! *choke!* *sob!*

The TV advert this morning on UK TV was a totally bright light blue page. Honest!

My gaming computer is ok for the next couple of years I hope. I saw a fantastic one last week though but console myself that it will be much cheaper in the next year's January sales!

I have enough saved but need to get the decorators in because of
    a/ water leak from the flat above me needs sorting,
    b/the dishwasher and ...
    c/ stove have gone kaput and I am relying on a combination microwave for cooking at the moment!
    I'm thinking of moving and selling the flat as "needs updating" and leaving it to them!

Playing Sims 4 is keeping me sane. :)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Pretty much every example you used is of a different genre than The Sims and RPGs. Mobile games and WoW are a complete different breed not only from The Sims, but each other.

Most RPGs remain single player and offline. The single player genre is thriving. There’s even a hugely anticipated RPG coming out soon called Cyberpunk 2077. Completely offline and single player.

The only company that believed that games are heading into multiplayer online and service-based was EA. And look how that turned out; a joke. SimCity 5 flopped and the franchise has been reduced to mobile gaming scraps, Sims 4’s development was plagued, and they’re still suffering from problems from believing that nonsense.

No actually Activision and Bethesda said it well before our present CEO said it. Bethesda made a point of reminding us when they brought out their last big Fallout game and why I finally stopped playing those as I hate online. Never mind online games that are slated to go on indefinitely as those companies talked about. I don't have an issue with games going on indefinitely - as long as they are not online. I detest online games even though I have real high end internet. I have high end internet for communicating with my family - not for gaming. Being housebound stinks - so it eases that for me.

ETA - Of course it is a different genre than the Sims, I was comparing triple A games seeing there is no other game like the Sims out there that's a triple A game. How do I compare something that does not exist?
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....