Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Opinion on the rebrand?

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I want it GONE! It's horrible!
    I don't like it at all.
    The colors are ugly. The font is boring. It looks cheap and uninspired.
    But it doesn't affect me much because I don't collect box art since everything is so digital now.
    The game loads fast and I don't have to look at it for too long.

What bother me more is the the bizarre choices that this team makes for the game.
    It's just one more thing that shakes my confidence in their ability to make a great game. The Sims 4 is full of wonderful features,
    but it is also full of half baked features and missing features that drags it down.

Strangerville: a highly scripted story with little replay value that most will probably play once or twice.

Island Living: a beautiful and relaxing "Expansion Pack" that completely ignores players who love the island theme as a vacation destination.
    Just give me the ability to make a true vacation lot and let my sims schedule vacation time. I have to use Get To Work to make a retail business in Sulani and my sims have to phone in everyday to keep them from going to work.

Not to mention how bare bones the base game started off and how some of the basic features are still weak like the whims system and traits.
    I have the whims system turned off and I just use the aspiration game play to earn rewards.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    The rebranding just confirms my negative opinion about those working on the game. The focus is on aesthetics amd not on gameplay. It proves they are not listening to the player base and just want to find others they can indoctrinate into loving it.
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    As a person that's red-green colorblind, I really don't appreciate this update. I can already tell that I'm going to have a lot of trouble seeing the game after the redesign.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Drakos wrote: »
    Am indifferent to it. I get the relaunch though as the game is just now hitting it's stride. Not a big fan of the box art, but it has been years since I bought a PC game retail.

Seriously??? A 5-year-old game is only NOW hitting its stride?!? What a horrible and pathetic concept (from EA, not you).
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    edited July 2019
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Drakos wrote: »
    Am indifferent to it. I get the relaunch though as the game is just now hitting it's stride. Not a big fan of the box art, but it has been years since I bought a PC game retail.

Seriously??? A 5-year-old game is only NOW hitting its stride?!? What a horrible and pathetic concept (from EA, not you).

It is what it is though. Just not a big deal to me, anyways carry on.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    edited July 2019
    I do graphic design for games and this artwork update is sub-par. I'm not against rebranding the Sims 4 and giving it a fresh look. The only bits that look good are the layout of the new game screen (just the alignment of elements) and the base game cover art. Everything else is just awful. The plumbob and loading screen is cheap (funny that my boss would never accept such low quality from me, but EA has lower standards??) but the worst offender is hands down the new cover art for expansion/game/stuff packs. The patterns are lazy (very 90's for some reason) and they made the expansion pack color very similar to the game pack color - ART DESIGN 101 hello? And a terrible, dull color at that (bright orange would have worked better to represent expansion packs, for example). They plummed up, in my opinion.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Keep it! I like it!
    I like it, but I don't love it. It's a fixer-upper, you might say.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    At least they didn't re-branded the forum's color.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    Keep it! I like it!
    I love it! I do admit it is very Gen Z, hence most likely why i like it so much, buuuuut it suits me. Maybe a dark mode option/colour blind option for those who need/desperately hate it, but I love it. It can stay!
  • hermioniahermionia Posts: 289 Member
    munroele wrote: »
    I love it! I do admit it is very Gen Z, hence most likely why i like it so much, buuuuut it suits me. Maybe a dark mode option/colour blind option for those who need/desperately hate it, but I love it. It can stay!

it is very gen z??? as a gen z i feel offended lmao... this thing stepped right out of the 90s
  • RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    hermionia wrote: »

it is very gen z??? as a gen z i feel offended lmao... this thing stepped right out of the 90s

I'm blue da ba dee da ba daa
    https://youtu.be/c7gjXIjmTIU
  • wrenstaleswrenstales Posts: 777 Member
    I prefer the game as it is. The only thing I am looking forward to is the unlocked items, objects.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member

lJB8bY3m.jpg

To be perfectly honest I understand the outrage, but can't find the energy to feel strongly about it.
  • MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    Wheres the "I couldn't care less" option? I'll admit that I eyerolled hard when they started showing this, mostly because I thought it would be the only thing they were rolling out. But I dont feel strongly about it, even a little bit.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    I thought it was a joke the first time I saw the new plumbob as I'm sure that some simblr users can create a more aesthetically pleasing looking plumbob than that.

They could have at least changed the colour scheme. That shade of blue is very uncomfortable to look at. And why even bother to take away each EP's unique colour on their own package? Why is this even their priority? Getting a new design for an almost 5-year-old game is not going to make its gameplay any more different than it has been since 2014.

And it's only a matter of time before they implement the new logo on to this site, that's what this whole rebranding business is for anyway. Please, at least change the blue colour.

Also they're gonna need to include a scrollbar for the packs collection soon, it's not gonna be enough space there even if they're placing the icons horizontally.

main-menu.png
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
    Keep it! I like it!

I'm Gen Z, and the younger characters, the bright colours and more strong graphics appeal to me a LOT! 90's and 80's everything is making a comeback, and this is wicked. I adore it.
    I'm also a veteran Sims player, having played Hot Date as a kid on my aunt's computer, but maaaan this new update makes me want to play again after getting bored. I know I'm in the target market for the Sims 4, so if I like it, surely other people my age (22) and younger will love it too, which is what the marketing team would want.
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    It's not the layout. It's the colors.

8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    I'm Gen Z, and the younger characters, the bright colours and more strong graphics appeal to me a LOT! 90's and 80's everything is making a comeback, and this is wicked. I adore it.
    I'm also a veteran Sims player, having played Hot Date as a kid on my aunt's computer, but maaaan this new update makes me want to play again after getting bored. I know I'm in the target market for the Sims 4, so if I like it, surely other people my age (22) and younger will love it too, which is what the marketing team would want.

As a 21-year-old I would be lying to say that I like this new design or colour-scheme. I would say this though: People obviously have different tastes and preferences and it's going to be tough for a company wanting to target one age group and attend to other age groups' needs at the same time.

There's nothing wrong for a company wanting to rebrand their stuff in order to boost sales but they need to remember that it's not just young teens playing the sims. A lot of other members here who's been playing the game since 2000 needs to be taken into consideration as well. Imagine getting a rebrand that puts people off and resulting in them not wanting to purchase a new pack for the sims 4 (though I am going to say that personally I am the type of player that cares more about the quality of gameplay than the box cover art but I am certain that some people out there care more about the artwork), which is the exact opposite of what the company was trying to achieve the first place.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

I hate to break it to you but you aren’t the target market for the sims 4. The target is teenage girls. According to both former community managers.

I don’t really have much outrage for the new brand, I think it looks child like but the new main screen doesn’t bother me. Will have to see if the loading screen does.
    edited July 2019
    Keep it! I like it!

I hate to break it to you but you aren’t the target market for the sims 4. The target is teenage girls. According to both former community managers.

I don’t really have much outrage for the new brand, I think it looks child like but the new main screen doesn’t bother me. Will have to see if the loading screen does.

I'm closer in age to it than say, my aunt who used to play 15years ago and stopped playing after the Sims 1 ended. I'm only a couple years out of being a teen. And being youngER, i do still think I fit in closely enough to the target that if the aim of the redesign was to appeal to young women, I think they've probably done their job. This screen design would also definitely appeal more to my younger sisters, who range from 11-14, and it would also work better for kids at their school, who are starting to play the Sims for the first time. The bright colours, more modern design and sims taking pictures of stuff the same way they do?
    It works. They want to see themselves, and the fact the Sims on the cover are younger, wearing more modern and less dorky clothing, and are engaging with each other AND the player (the one with the DSLR camera taking a picture of the player), I think contributes to why the changes were made.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

I'm closer in age to it than say, my aunt who used to play 15years ago and stopped playing after the Sims 1 ended. I'm only a couple years out of being a teen. And being youngER, i do still think I fit in closely enough to the target that if the aim of the redesign was to appeal to young women, I think they've probably done their job. This screen design would also definitely appeal more to my younger sisters, who range from 11-14, and it would also work better for kids at their school, who are starting to play the Sims for the first time. The bright colours, more modern design and sims taking pictures of stuff the same way they do?
    It works. They want to see themselves, and the fact the Sims on the cover are younger, wearing more modern and less dorky clothing, and are engaging with each other AND the player (the one with the DSLR camera taking a picture of the player), I think contributes to why the changes were made.

I agree there. I’ll have to see what my niece thinks as she plays. She’s 11. It’s fine to want to appeal to new players but it’s just a shame they once again have forgotten about their other loyal players.
  • DyingLightDyingLight Posts: 309 Member
    Keep it! I like it!
    I luv it <3. The Sims 4 is ready for another 5 gen-Zish years. :love:
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    edited July 2019
    The colorful icons. The beautfiul plumbob. Not too contrasted menu. The modern look. All RIP :disappointed:
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    It's bad. Really bad. That blue is awful - way too blinding and painful. And the plumbob looks... ugh, as do the new pack covers. Hello over-saturation.
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png