Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Worlds and Their In Real Life Locations

Comments

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I'd put Granite Falls more southerly - the granite definitely suggests the Rockies, but there is no current volcanic action.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • WainwrongWainwrong Posts: 89 Member
    I'd put Granite Falls more southerly - the granite definitely suggests the Rockies, but there is no current volcanic action.

i think of granite falls as a ts4 version of three lakes which is a bit canadian so it could be up in the north, next to each other.
  • purplexbutterflypurplexbutterfly Posts: 597 Member
    Newcrest reminds me a little about where I live in the UK. I live in a small town surrounded by greenery and theres also rivers nearby. But I'm very close to big cities too which surround my town.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    To me, Granite Falls is either northern California or southern Oregon, while San Myshuno is San Francisco.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Aren’t most of the worlds already confirmed what they’re based off of or mostly inspired by?
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• alepateraalepatera Posts: 1 New Member
    I agree with most of these placements except for San Myshuno and Selva Dorada. With City Living I thought it resembled Sanfran-Tokyo from Big Hero 6. It's definitely a mixture of Asian and Californian settings. With Selva Dorada the placement would more accurately be, without a doubt, Mexico and Central America, rather than the Amazon in South America. The elements it has of the native culture, with the Spanish influences, and the architecture, and just the feel of it all, it doesn't make a lot of sense for it to be located in the Amazon. It's definitely very reminiscent of the movie, The Road to El Dorado, where the setting is in Mexico and Central America.
  • RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    alepatera wrote: »
    It's definitely very reminiscent of the movie, The Road to El Dorado, where the setting is in Mexico and Central America.

I'm just doing this random post to comment how much I like this movie. That is all.
    tumblr_m4m7drvrxF1rpf23po4_250.gif
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    citysimmer wrote: »
    I think Selvadorada would be in Mexico and that Forgotten Hollow would be in a Sleepy Hollow type place. Otherwise I agree and appreciate this map

Selvadorada is based on the Mayan ancient ruins of Machu Picchu in Peru.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Machu-Picchu was Incan, not Mayan. The Mayan culture was - and is - largely in the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico (Chichen-Itza) extending into Guatamala (Tikal). But I agree that Selvadorada seems Mezo-American to me.
  • CeltianaCeltiana Posts: 13 New Member
    Love it! :)
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Yeah i already got the idea of Willow creek being sort of residential/rural new orleans.

Oasis springs i always got the impression is somewhere in Texas and the spanish architecture of some buildings pretty much nails it (for example the Caliente family house and surrounding buildings have the same vibe.

Not sure on newcrest.

Based on the families and the look of the town, i'd agree Windenberg is likely around Germany, but it could also be in Austria, France or Sweden/Norway as well as the name isn't entirely exclusive to Germany. The families there, i noticed Swedish/Nordic, Irish and German names in the mix as well as cross French-Portugese names.
  • RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    Windenburg doesn't strike me as any specific European area. To me, it more feels like a hotchpotch of several northern and central European areas/cultures. Almost like how an American who hasn't visited Europe could vision it.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    edited July 2019
    I agree with the two previous comments about Windenburg. To me, the old town makes me think of Bavarian Germany, the modern city’s buildings in the background look a bit like Stockholm, Sweden, the countryside looks sort of English, and the Von Haunt estate with its snow capped mountains is the Austrian Alps. Never could figure out what country or region the island might be modeled after.

As for San Myshuno, the name might be inspired by San Francisco, but the Spice District looks similar to some NYC neighborhoods, especially in Brooklyn, the Arts Quarter reminds me of a gentrified hipster and yuppie neighborhood in numerous cities, Fashion District is Tokyo-inspired, I guess, and Financial District is basically any downtown business neighborhood one would see in a big city.
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    Interesting post!
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • IrishDashhunIrishDashhun Posts: 60 Member
    Excellent
    Meep
    My 100 Baby Challenge Family Tree Is Here: https://www.theplumtreeapp.com/trees/5d6818bcda480c00064447ea
  • Fallenxroses7Fallenxroses7 Posts: 92 Member
    :o this is really interesting and cool!
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited September 2019
    I think the worlds have been designed so that you can generally relate more than one area to them, probably based on making them relatable in different parts of the world.

Yes, Willow Creek is obviously New Orleans. I agree that Oasis Springs is like a cross between Palm Springs, Arizona or a manicured suburb of Las Vegas. Empty it out and you can probably make it other red desert areas.

Granite Falls seems like generic North American woods. Yellowstone has a geyser and I don't think Granite Falls does but maybe I haven't looked closely. It could be Canada, Northern CA or actually New Hampshire where there is a lot of granite.

I agree that Windenburg is a European mash up. At a certain point, I mostly started thinking of the worlds in relation to each other rather than the real world.

Forgetten Hollow kind of goes with Windenburg and Brindleton Bay. Granite Falls is a bit more remote but inland from Brindleton Bay.

Oasis Springs and Strangerville go together with Oasis Springs being the place that Strangervillains trek to for actual things to do.

Sulani is off on its own in a happy paradise at roughly a similar latitude to Selvadorada though they are distinct cultures.

Willow Creek and Magnolia Promenade go together.

Newcrest is where I mostly have community lots. I've made it a centralized hang out world. I only have two residential houses there and haven't spent much time there.

San Myshuno is like a mash up of several huge cities. I think I play it as roughly like NYC. It's really just "the city" in my game.
    Post edited by ChampandGirlie on
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    @Atreya33 Windenburg's name translates from German and the "Winden" part could either refer to wind ("Wind") or morning glory ("Winde") while "Burg" is the German word for castle. Most of the residents have German and Scandinavian names. (this is from the wiki).
    Also, in Backyard Stuff there's an object in which description says that Windenbrug has a syster-town called Windemere. The second element is Old English 'mere', meaning 'lake' or 'pool'. I don't know if there is a german word called "mere". But I think Windenburg would be in Germany.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    edited September 2019
    Karon wrote: »
    @Atreya33 Windenburg's name translates from German and the "Winden" part could either refer to wind ("Wind") or morning glory ("Winde") while "Burg" is the German word for castle. Most of the residents have German and Scandinavian names. (this is from the wiki).
    Also, in Backyard Stuff there's an object in which description says that Windenbrug has a syster-town called Windemere. The second element is Old English 'mere', meaning 'lake' or 'pool'. I don't know if there is a german word called "mere". But I think Windenburg would be in Germany.

The name windenburg might just as well be Dutch (wind = wind, and the suffix burg can be found in some place names like Limburg, Leopoldsburg, Domburg, ). The word mere feels very English. I don't know the German equivalent but I suspect they rather use 'See' (lake). So windenburg sounds very German but not exclusively German. The Scandinavian names make it feel far more up north.

As someone who has been to Germany many times I can see it was used as an inspiration, but mixed with other countries as well. While the old town feels German, there used to be houses in that style in some parts of Belgium as well, more in the countryside than in cities though. The countryside neighbourhood could be in several countries. The island feels as if it is either Scandinavian or British (2 regions I have also seen in real life)
    So for me it resembles the Germany I visited and know from real life, but there are to many elements in this world from other European countries to say windenburg is exactly 100% Germany and nothing else.

Likewise I don't think selvadorada is meant to be one specific South American country, and Sulani is not limited to on Pacific Island. It is possible to see similarities to other places.
    Post edited by Atreya33 on
  • GamergirlieGamergirlie Posts: 1 New Member
    Magnolia Promenade reminds me of the centre of town in Lurgan, Nothern Ireland
  • DougButcherDougButcher Posts: 27 Member
    Actually, Magnolia Promenade is similar to New Orleans because Mississippi is the Magnolia State.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top