Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Sims 4 just pretty graphics compared to its predecessors?

124...Next

Comments

• Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 300 Member
    I agree with a lot of people when it comes to gameplay. I never played previous sims games, but I have heard a lot about them. Sims 4 is lacking consequences, and bad events/weather. The meteors, burglary’s, etc. should be brought in a patch or pack with a toggle for on and off. It’s triggering to some people, but if you turn it off it’s not. I believe the sims is just too much of a perfect world, without things like this.
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @Sigzy05 - Oh wow, a meteor killed 8 Sims! Wow, I didn't even know the meteors could kill multiple Sims at a time. That's so interesting. I still find myself learning new things in the older versions that I didn't know existed until now, Lol.

I miss unexpected & random events like that.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    For me, I have decent time playing TS4. >:) The graphics are definitely good & runs smooth, but overall I feel this game lacks depth, as there's just no challenge. There's no danger, consequences for actions, or any really unexpected events and everything is just so happy. I can remember those days in TS3, when a meteor would just randomly fall out of the sky and kill my Sim. & in TS2 it actually took effort to make friends and have a romantic relationship, due to having an attraction system, with turn ons and turn offs. If a Sim didn't like your Sim, good luck trying to get that relationship to work. Someone cheated, it took work to salvage that relationship. In TS4, Sims cheat and fight and then hug right after, which literally makes no sense. You want a friend, it takes 10 seconds, you want a husband, add another 10 seconds. It's too easy. & as long as everything stays in this 'happy, happy' mode, where nothing bad ever hardly ever happens, TS4 will always just be a decent, average game for me. I play with Mods to get the game to be playable. If I didn't have Mods, I wouldn't play.

I once had a meteor kill all 8 University dorm sims including mine. I was shook for life ahaha I just remember seeing a weird shadow on the floor and thinking "Is something about to fall on my sim?" and then BAM. The Grimm Reaper took so long to reap all of them ahaha Because they were all together at the entrance they all got killed.

I'd love to have an option in Sims 4 which asks something like "There's a volcano eruption looming" "Fatal" "Non fatal" or similar.

What's the fun in that though? If I'm the one to choose I already know who dies and who doesn't, it makes it boring. It takes away the element of surprise. You can always just load the save again if your sim dies, so who cares? Plus, in TS3 you can always run away from where the meteor is about to strike if you realize it soon enough. I didn't :p

It's as if you were about to roll the dice, but before they fall on the table you pick how many numbers they give you. In the end, you didn't even need to throw the dice. You actually aren't even playing a game anymore then. Have you ever tried to play monopoly by picking how many numbers the dice give you or what chance cards you take from the card decks? I tell you what happens in the end, it becomes a repetitive boring mess.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited July 2019
    As I've said before S3 doesn't come anywhere near S4. How people can even say it's better, is beyond logic to me.

Now S2 is a fair challenge. I like them both.

Also I read the title as "sims 4 is pretty graphic compared to its predecessors" Okay, lol :D

edit: about the meteor thing... Oh god, I remember hoards of people complaining about how it killed the children in school. Where are all of you now? lol Now all of a sudden people love it.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Simpkin wrote: »
    As I've said before S3 doesn't come anywhere near S4. How people can even say it's better, is beyond logic to me.

Also I read the title as "sims 4 is pretty graphic compared to its predecessors" Okay, lol :D

edit: about the meteor thing... Oh god, I remember hoards of people complaining about how it killed the children in school. Where are all of you now? lol Now all of a sudden people love it.

LOL, that one never happened to me.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

It’s absolutely better from the standpoint of it being a life simulation game. It’s better from the standpoint of customization. Better from the standpoint of using game features your own way. I mean if that’s beyond logic then I don’t know what to tell you. Sims 2 obviously is the best when it comes to live mode gameplay, but Sims 4 is far from second place.

Also I LOVED the meteor strikes. I never had one hit a school but I would have LOVED to have one! I can’t answer where the people who didn’t like that are now - being honest, a lot of people flip flop on things they didn’t like vs do like all depending on which game did it. Like people hated rabbitholes in Sims 3, but they seem to love the prop buildings even though they are the same thing minus functions.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

LOL, that one never happened to me.

I think there was a patch note for it, lol.

I've had a meteor strike happen while in college. It killed an entire rabbit hole building filled with NPCs, including Liz Tarry. The funny thing is, while waiting to be reaped, the ghosts still had the "Sim is busy going to class" tooltip when I hovered over them, which honestly is the most realistic part. "I'm dead? Ugh, great, now I'll be late for Dr. Schultz's class on top of the 3 deadlines I have to rush today"
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • WainwrongWainwrong Posts: 89 Member
    I think all games are different and have different best parts for different people.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member

It’s absolutely better from the standpoint of it being a life simulation game. It’s better from the standpoint of customization. Better from the standpoint of using game features your own way. I mean if that’s beyond logic then I don’t know what to tell you. Sims 2 obviously is the best when it comes to live mode gameplay, but Sims 4 is far from second place.

Also I LOVED the meteor strikes. I never had one hit a school but I would have LOVED to have one! I can’t answer where the people who didn’t like that are now - being honest, a lot of people flip flop on things they didn’t like vs do like all depending on which game did it. Like people hated rabbitholes in Sims 3, but they seem to love the prop buildings even though they are the same thing minus functions.

I don't see this as the same at all and here's why. (I just want to mention that this post is specifically addressing rabbit holes vs playable community lots and shell buildings. Not open/closed world, which does connect to the topic, but I'm trying to stay focused on this specific subject.)

Rabbit hole buildings were a replacement for some community lots. Coming from Sims 2, we had a variety of public lots that you could visit and play in and they were lively and had neighborhood Sims turn up and if your Sim knew someone they might socialize with that person. The lots did what they were supposed to do, Sims behaved very naturally in them and according to the type it was, and the gameplay was believable and engaging.

Enter Sims 3 and suddenly your Sim goes in the door and disappears, leaving the player staring at the outside of a building. I'm sorry, but that's a big step backwards.

Enter Sims 4 and you can engage on public lots again, see what your Sim is doing, and socialize. There are definitely Sims on the lot, but now they are all trying to make friends with each other and obsessively drawn to whatever objects align with the lot type. Lot types are inflexible and behavior for all Sims is repetitive and indistinguishable. It's only a baby step forward because the player is still left wrestling with Sim behavior to get them to actually do naturally what they should be doing on the lot in the first place. Either they wander off, stare into space, join random conversations, or react obsessively to something specific which, when the player tries to direct them to go do something else, they eventually gravitate back to that object (or Sim). And it has nothing to do with their personality type. But I digress.

Sims 4 set buildings are just that; set buildings. There are no labels or misdirection as to what they are. They are there to fill out the background. Whether a player likes or hates them is up to the individual, but they are nothing like rabbit hole buildings except in the sense that they are a pretty shell with no gameplay. But background shells aren't meant to offer or replace gameplay like rabbit hole buildings are.

Personally, I don't mind the background buildings in general. They fill in the gaps of scenery or whatever and add to the flavor of a town. But I also don't find them a good replacement for world editing, which is one of the reasons I think they were created. I'd much rather be able to change my neighborhoods to suit my own play style.
    #Team Occult
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019

I’m sorry to disturb your sense of logic ;) Sims 3 is far from perfect, but it’s open, customizable, sims are unpredictable, they mind about what other sims do to them, they mind about that quite some time too (couple of days sometimes), there’s a world outside your sim’s window where things happen, there’s always an interaction between me and my game (meaning that my game clearly reacts to what I choose), I can decorate everything in my sims’ houses any way I want to, for me it’s a perfect way to simulate life. And apart from that all the packs (11 of them) give me more gameplay than I managed to play in almost ten years time. There’s still new stuff for me to explore. And some of the stuff I already explored is so much fun that I don’t mind exploring it again. Because it will always feel different and new with another sim. Probably because they have actual personalities. And on top of that I love the art style and the looks of the game (on highest settings) and love my own sims (not so much the puddingfaces, though at the same time I kind of like those too because they look so friendly and unhip, they’re heart warming in their own adorable way). This all maybe isn’t logical, but then again, love never is.

Oh, and I have no idea where the people are now who complained about a meteor shower killing sims, but it sure wasn’t me :D

P.s. and I love rabbithole buildings. For me they’re the perfect solution to the inevitability of not always being able to follow all your sims. Love to know where they are and love how those buildings define the atmosphere of a world.
    5JZ57S6.png