Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Sims 4 just pretty graphics compared to its predecessors?

Comments

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sims 4 has the nicest graphics and superior live mode game play, but sims 2 animations are the best. I really wish they'd start updating and adding more animations to sims 4. I won't compare build mode Because I don't really spend much time in there.
    I have no idea how one could judge Sims 4’s live mode gameplay as superior to Sims 2’s. I know, it’s your opinion and I appreciate that, obviously, but ... how, why. If all Sims 4 needs for you is a couple of more animations you’re a happy camper, that’s for sure.

I don't enjoy Sims 2 gameplay, I think because I don't like the personalities. there's too much personality so you can't totally create your own story like you can with Sims 4. For example, if I want my Sims to date another Sim but their personalities Clash, in Sims 2 it's really hard to get them together. in Sims 4 The Sims will pretty much do whatever you want and the personalities won't ever get in your way of your story line. they just add some extra fun little bonus interactions instead. I always find Sims 2 really frustrating Because of this hahaha! plus I don't like the looks of user interface but that's more just about pretty Graphics again LOL

But yeah, I really do love the animations of Sims 2 whenever I go back and play it. They are by far superior in that way and I think they just move a lot more naturally.

I wouldn't say animations is the only thing I want in Sims 4, I would like to see some more life stages added as well, like preteens, middle-agers, and preschoolers. But gameplay-wise, yes I'm really happy with it and it's the one that I can play for hours without getting bored haha
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2019
    So_Money wrote: »
    It goes beyond graphics. Build mode and CAS, for instance, are far better than TS3. And no multitasking in TS3 is a big step back.

And loading screens are an big step back as well and yes Sims 4 is nothing more than an art show and while I may agree I do like the build mode and CAS, I do not not wish to stay in that mode. There are an lot of trade offs in Sims 4 that makes the game less than stellar. as far as multitasking goes in Sims 3 the game is older and the feature did not exist but Sims 4 does lack features that was present in older versions so that does not speak volumes for Slim 4. EA/Maxis deserves no kudos from me for various reasons. When they add an option for neighborhood expansion and creator with lot reediting tools then Sims 4 may have my attention but until then Slim 4 is an cotender.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    My buying of Sims 4 packs is paying off in the long run as I now use all the packs to decorate the Sulani World and it is extremely beautiful and enjoyable to play. It was, and is a good ongoing game investment for me over the five years with more to come.

You can put everything from a Spa, bowling alley, StrangerVille bunker in it and even stay on another beach for days without having to take a "Vacation" if you use the tents and cooler bought in Granite Falls. My Sims' dog loves beach walks and is finding all the shells for her. I haven't done even half the things I want to do with it yet as I'm still exploring. I'm thinking of hiring a butler to tend the house as my Sim has better things to do with her life. :)

When I put one of my lots on the Gallery I was surprised I had used so many packs for it so it is not really worth putting them on except for similar players with them all or transferring easily to my other PC.

The graphics have been getting better and better since StrangerVille in my opinion. The decorations, objects and wallpapers were really well done and detailed in that even though I wasn't so keen on the immediate neighbourhoods.

I don't want to knock the other games as this thread didn't ask that question. Played everything but still enjoy this more. These packs could be the modern equivalent of buying one of the books or films in the Harry Potter series or buying a monthly magazine or online newspaper subscription. (both of the last two could be expensive too).
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sims 4 has the nicest graphics and superior live mode game play, but sims 2 animations are the best. I really wish they'd start updating and adding more animations to sims 4. I won't compare build mode Because I don't really spend much time in there.
    I have no idea how one could judge Sims 4’s live mode gameplay as superior to Sims 2’s. I know, it’s your opinion and I appreciate that, obviously, but ... how, why. If all Sims 4 needs for you is a couple of more animations you’re a happy camper, that’s for sure.

I don't enjoy Sims 2 gameplay, I think because I don't like the personalities. there's too much personality so you can't totally create your own story like you can with Sims 4. For example, if I want my Sims to date another Sim but their personalities Clash, in Sims 2 it's really hard to get them together. in Sims 4 The Sims will pretty much do whatever you want and the personalities won't ever get in your way of your story line. they just add some extra fun little bonus interactions instead. I always find Sims 2 really frustrating Because of this hahaha! plus I don't like the looks of user interface but that's more just about pretty Graphics again LOL

But yeah, I really do love the animations of Sims 2 whenever I go back and play it. They are by far superior in that way and I think they just move a lot more naturally.

I wouldn't say animations is the only thing I want in Sims 4, I would like to see some more life stages added as well, like preteens, middle-agers, and preschoolers. But gameplay-wise, yes I'm really happy with it and it's the one that I can play for hours without getting bored haha
    That’s indeed clarifying for me because I actually can relate to that. I see the advantages of strong reactions and characteristics, but at the same time I feel the same downside as you do. For me Sims 4 takes it too far in the other direction but I can see now how that works better for you. Thanks :smile:
    5JZ57S6.png
    Simburian wrote: »
    ScottDemon wrote: »
    ScottDemon wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yep pretty much what it has going for it the most. I think it will become outdated even with graphics fairly soon just because games these days have better tech and graphics. I mean I'm even going to get the chance to try out cloud based gaming. They always raise price with each iteration and Sims 4 is the most expensive Sims game yet with the packs with packs totaling $600 so far and I wouldn't be shocked if it reached $1,000 to get the complete pack DLC experience.

Actually the Sims 3 is the most expensive. Back when the game was still supported it would cost $780 total for the Base Game, all EP's and SP's and if you throw in the Sims 3 Store well over $3000.

Actually that’s not true.

If you buy the sims 3 right now

Sims 3 expansions 29.99 x 11 = 329.89
    Stuff packs 14.99 x 9= 134.91
    = £464.80

Sims 4
    7 expansions 34.99 x7 = 244.93
    7 Game packs 17.99 x7 = 125.93
    14 stuff packs 9.99 x 14 = 139.86

= £510.72

Not to mention sims 4 has an additional stuff pack and game pack on the way and three more years worth of content. Sims 4 is more expensive. That is a fact.

Excluding store content as that’s not essential and you actually get free sims points with every expansion registered. I should know as I have 8GB of free store content thanks to that and watching ads.

And that is today’s prices. During the original sims 3 run I didn’t pay those prices. I paid £10 for a stuff pack and £24 for an expansion.

Today's prices yes but as I said back when the game was still being supported EP's where $10 higher and the SP's $15 higher at least where I live. And I own everthing that was ever in the Store including all the Special Promotions and other stuff.

Not all regions where the same. Some had to pay more. So in my area it was in fact $780.
    I’ll repeat: with Sims 3 (indeed a very expensive game) you have the full experience with just the EP’s. Nobody ‘needs’ the SP’s and on the forums I was active on back in the day when it was still under development, hardly any of the kids who played Sims 3 bought those SP’s. They didn’t even pay attention to it on that forum (which annoyed me because they did interest me, I wanted it all but that’s a different matter). What’s more, most of those kids didn’t even buy every EP. Not because they didn’t play the game, they did, they just didn’t have the money. Yet they played and enjoyed the game.

For Sims 4 I see a completely different pattern. People who like the game are clearly constantly hungry for more stuff, because what they have isn’t enough. They constantly need more, new, shiny stuff. And they buy it all, also because most GP’s are better than most EP’s for the game and they contain more than just stuff.

Sorry, but EA became smarter where it comes to marketing. You really think they left Sims 3’s sales strategy because they were concerned about your wallet?

Sims 3, basegame €59 + all EP’s = € 499. Sure you could buy a lot more if you wanted to, but you didn’t have to. Like you don’t have to buy everything a store sells, you can choose.

Sims 4, all in, by now (following what @MidnightAura says) = €545 and they are not done yet. And fans don’t want them to be done, they even get angry when you suggest it’s time to round up because there’s still too much missing. I love and loved Sims 3 but I never had that feeling when they announced Sims 4 and that was even before we got IP and ITF.

Sims 4 is a very expensive game. And that is comparing different versions in the same franchise. The games my son plays are like €60/€70 and he gets the full experience for that price.

At least you know what you will have to pay upfront with Sims 4 and not 3 unless you exercise control over the Store items. I don't regret what I've paid as I've built up the game from day one and played it almost every day. It's only roughly £100 per year for a hobby. I wonder what Lego packs cost or Fortnite addicts might pay out to get their loot packs per year or those who party and dine out? (Lego Dimensions... "The grand total comes to $334.85. And that's without tax." (IGN)

I might have bought a full game for £40 or over and only played it a week. I've done that with a few games in my long playing time. Sims4 still the prettiest and enjoyable for me! :)

But with sims 3 you do know, the prices are clearly stated and the game is complete. I posted earlier the total cost for the sims 3. Store is irrelevant as you don’t need the store stuff and indeed you can get parts for free via registration of expansions.

Sims 4 we know is already over £500. We know it will be a further £30 if you want the dlc coming this year but we have no idea how it will work next year or even next quarter.

This has veered Off Topic again.

But that's ok as I am a Sims 4 fan. It's in my budget plan. It is sad for those who come later to the game as they would have to pay a lot to get up to date but that is not my concern. They have the option to buy in Sales and I paid out the full amount. That is still OK.
    I have a small fixed income but...
    I pay over £1,000 for full broadband, TV and landline per year to get the most from my broadband package, £90 per year for MS Office subscriptions when I don't use it very much but it doesn't matter if you have a budgeted properly and pay per month. £500 over 5 year is peanuts. You have to get your priorities right in this life and maybe a few coffees less per week might help towards games, mortgages etc.

Sims 4 is my priority (after the basics of life) and it is still the prettiest to me. (Off topic I bought Barnacle Bay from the store and am now not regarded as owning it...now that is plum plum plum forever, plum Store). (I stuck in the plums but you can imagine them if you want)! :)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »
    It goes beyond graphics. Build mode and CAS, for instance, are far better than TS3. And no multitasking in TS3 is a big step back.

Ok. Build mode? No. TS3 has curved and l shaped stairs, ladders, elevators, modular sofas, there’s celling paint, platforms, you can put penthouses in any world, you can recolor almost any asset, you can create garages, and so on....

Multitasking in TS3 is a step back but TS3 is not the sequel lmao. Look how manh step bakcs did TS4 take.

Yes TS4 is mostly a pretty game and nothing more. There are some instances where it improves on previous games but overall it always falls short compared to it’s predecessors.

Amen.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »
    No I don’t feel this way. Yes it’s pretty but it has many other things that are great about it. CAS, build mode, multitasking, being able to easily travel to all worlds without mods. I like a lot about sims 4 in comparison to sims 3. Honestly tend to prefer it and I loved sims 3 when it was out and advocated for it when others didn’t. I just like certain things about 4 better and I have a hard time returning to sims 3 now. I find the systems like holidays, fame and even the vampire system are the best we’ve ever had. Toddlers are fantastic and I hated them in sims 2 and 3. Sims 4 has a lot going for it and it still has a few years to go.

Yes the game is buggy but so were it’s predecessors that’s just a common theme among sims games. We can only hope they don’t leave it a mess like sims 3.

I hate that people feel this way about sims 4 but not everyone will like every sims game and I know that. We all want different things. There were a lot on the dislike train for 3 as well because it was too different from 2. I guess I just accept each game for what it is. They are the same series but they tend to be drastically different in a lot of ways. I didn’t like 4 at first but after it was out for a few years (2017) I really started playing and haven’t stopped. Maybe sims 5 if it comes will be a perfect combo of all three games, taking the best from each. Wishful thinking for some I know but I’m hopeful.

That's great for you, you waited until they added some gameplay and tried to fill out the base. Just remember though, 99% of what you see and do in TS4 wasn't there, and it took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get it there from fans who wouldn't settle for just o.k. Others now enjoy those 'benefits' that weren't there, and those who fussed the most are now 'haters', lol, but their fussing is why some enjoy it today.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • NoName123NoName123 Posts: 25 Member

I'm the opposite. I would like my sims to have some more personality. No matter what trait I give them, if I leave them alone they do the same 🐸🐸🐸🐸 things no matter what. Even when I make them act rudely there is no consequences from the others sims, I have to manually make the other sims fight, or argue back. Otherwise Sims are simply forgiven. There is no room for anything to happen organically in the game.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Akl500P wrote: »
    No I don’t feel this way. Yes it’s pretty but it has many other things that are great about it. CAS, build mode, multitasking, being able to easily travel to all worlds without mods. I like a lot about sims 4 in comparison to sims 3. Honestly tend to prefer it and I loved sims 3 when it was out and advocated for it when others didn’t. I just like certain things about 4 better and I have a hard time returning to sims 3 now. I find the systems like holidays, fame and even the vampire system are the best we’ve ever had. Toddlers are fantastic and I hated them in sims 2 and 3. Sims 4 has a lot going for it and it still has a few years to go.

Yes the game is buggy but so were it’s predecessors that’s just a common theme among sims games. We can only hope they don’t leave it a mess like sims 3.

I hate that people feel this way about sims 4 but not everyone will like every sims game and I know that. We all want different things. There were a lot on the dislike train for 3 as well because it was too different from 2. I guess I just accept each game for what it is. They are the same series but they tend to be drastically different in a lot of ways. I didn’t like 4 at first but after it was out for a few years (2017) I really started playing and haven’t stopped. Maybe sims 5 if it comes will be a perfect combo of all three games, taking the best from each. Wishful thinking for some I know but I’m hopeful.

That's great for you, you waited until they added some gameplay and tried to fill out the base. Just remember though, 99% of what you see and do in TS4 wasn't there, and it took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get it there from fans who wouldn't settle for just o.k. Others now enjoy those 'benefits' that weren't there, and those who fussed the most are now 'haters', lol, but their fussing is why some enjoy it today.

Um I got the game about month after launch in 2014. I didn’t start playing the game for the first time in 2017 and I even said I didn’t like the game at first (meaning when it came out). I played it off and on when it first came out but like others I was frustrated with what wasn’t there. Ended up having to get a new laptop in 2016 and could have cared less that it couldn’t play sims 4. I thought at the time that the sims was over for me and maybe I had just gotten older and no longer enjoyed it.

Maybe I wasn’t super vocal about it but I know exactly what the game was at the start and I didn’t really like it. I’m very grateful for those that spoke up and helped get the game to what it is today. I didn’t and maybe I should have but doesn’t make me less of a fan or less understanding. I started missing playing sims in general after a year of not playing and went back to it. Although it still needs more it’s got a lot more going for it now than it did in 2014.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2019
    I don't enjoy Sims 2 gameplay, I think because I don't like the personalities. there's too much personality so you can't totally create your own story like you can with Sims 4.

This I very much agree with. As much as I did love the sims 2 at the time it was current I also found that some of the personalities were to dominant and ruined my game play. I don't really remember a lot about the Sims 2 game play these days but one thing I do remember is how I would actively avoid some personalities altogether because they didn't fit with the way I wanted my game to be played. The romantic personality sticks in my mind as being one that really bothered me.

In the Sims 4 people say that the sims lack personality but to be honest I think I prefer the way their personalities are now. They still have personality but it's more subtle and their entire life isn't ruled by it. My game play isn't being forced into one direction by their personalities.
  • thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes, and no.

It's prettier, and it lacks a lot of gameplay elements that the previous iterations had, but the Sims are significantly improved in my opinion.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    (Off topic I bought Barnacle Bay from the store and am now not regarded as owning it...now that is plum plum plum forever, plum Store). (I stuck in the plums but you can imagine them if you want)! :)
    I hated the store a lot too. I agree besides the game being pretty not having a DLC store like that again is nice. I do prefer the Gallery setup too. It is like keep microtransaction stuff like that to the mobile games. I do hope whenever Sims 5 does come out, a store like that is never done again.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Now i would just say yes, it is. I've beeng loving sims 4 and i even thought it would be best sims searie so far. But when they release new packs and stuff they are always half made and really not expand the game. I've have had features and things i've beeing waiting for so long and ea said 'it takes time and they cut things off to make those key features as good as possible' but nope, they are just lacking. I feel so dissapointed.
    We wait and pay more of these same features that in a past but now we just paid triple price of then and don't even get half of things in packs and features are just half done. Not complete at all.
    It's pretty tho and easy to make sims and houses to look good but i start to think it's just not worth.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited July 2019

That’s indeed clarifying for me because I actually can relate to that. I see the advantages of strong reactions and characteristics, but at the same time I feel the same downside as you do. For me Sims 4 takes it too far in the other direction but I can see now how that works better for you. Thanks :smile:

Yw haha. And yes I could see how people would like the stronger personalities to because maybe it's more realistic but for me and my gameplay style it just doesn't work haha. Both ways are good and and individual's playstyle is what is going to determine what they like best.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    Is sims 4 just pretty graphics?

No.
  • Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 300 Member
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    Is sims 4 just pretty graphics?

No.

I love the simplicity. 😂😂👏
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Not if you ask me. But I haven't played any past sims games (the only other is Freeplay, and that's just a nightmare in code), so now I'm wondering if my opinion on the matter truly counts...
    funny-gifs20.gif

• lemonade578lemonade578 Posts: 75 Member
    While Sims 4 worlds may not be as big as the ones in previous games, they are just BEAUTIFUL! I will sometimes explore the worlds in TAB mode just to see the beauty.
    cUfiTAd.png
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    I've played Sims 2, 3 and 4 and while 4 does look very nice, it certainly is lacking much of what its predecessors had.

A lot of people here are saying that CAS and BB mode is upgraded, which is true, BUT when it comes down to actual Live Mode gameplay and substance, it's just not there in 4.
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    For me, I have decent time playing TS4. The graphics are definitely good & runs smooth, but overall I feel this game lacks depth, as there's just no challenge. There's no danger, consequences for actions, or any really unexpected events and everything is just so happy. I can remember those days in TS3, when a meteor would just randomly fall out of the sky and kill my Sim. & in TS2 it actually took effort to make friends and have a romantic relationship, due to having an attraction system, with turn ons and turn offs. If a Sim didn't like your Sim, good luck trying to get that relationship to work. Someone cheated, it took work to salvage that relationship. In TS4, Sims cheat and fight and then hug right after, which literally makes no sense. You want a friend, it takes 10 seconds, you want a husband, add another 10 seconds. It's too easy. & as long as everything stays in this 'happy, happy' mode, where nothing bad ever hardly ever happens, TS4 will always just be a decent, average game for me. I play with Mods to get the game to be playable. If I didn't have Mods, I wouldn't play.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    For me, I have decent time playing TS4. The graphics are definitely good & runs smooth, but overall I feel this game lacks depth, as there's just no challenge. There's no danger, consequences for actions, or any really unexpected events and everything is just so happy. I can remember those days in TS3, when a meteor would just randomly fall out of the sky and kill my Sim. & in TS2 it actually took effort to make friends and have a romantic relationship, due to having an attraction system, with turn ons and turn offs. If a Sim didn't like your Sim, good luck trying to get that relationship to work. Someone cheated, it took work to salvage that relationship. In TS4, Sims cheat and fight and then hug right after, which literally makes no sense. You want a friend, it takes 10 seconds, you want a husband, add another 10 seconds. It's too easy. & as long as everything stays in this 'happy, happy' mode, where nothing bad ever hardly ever happens, TS4 will always just be a decent, average game for me. I play with Mods to get the game to be playable. If I didn't have Mods, I wouldn't play.

I once had a meteor kill all 8 University dorm sims including mine. I was shook for life ahaha I just remember seeing a weird shadow on the floor and thinking "Is something about to fall on my sim?" and then BAM. The Grimm Reaper took so long to reap all of them ahaha Because they were all together at the entrance they all got killed.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    TS4 is indeed very pretty, but that's not the only thing I love about it. CAS, build mode, multi-tasking, emotions, toddlers, vampires...the list goes on. I don't think it's perfect by any means and there is a lot I would like to see added and developed on, but I do feel it has come a long way since release and I hope it continues to grow and improve over time.
    For me, I have decent time playing TS4. >:) The graphics are definitely good & runs smooth, but overall I feel this game lacks depth, as there's just no challenge. There's no danger, consequences for actions, or any really unexpected events and everything is just so happy. I can remember those days in TS3, when a meteor would just randomly fall out of the sky and kill my Sim. & in TS2 it actually took effort to make friends and have a romantic relationship, due to having an attraction system, with turn ons and turn offs. If a Sim didn't like your Sim, good luck trying to get that relationship to work. Someone cheated, it took work to salvage that relationship. In TS4, Sims cheat and fight and then hug right after, which literally makes no sense. You want a friend, it takes 10 seconds, you want a husband, add another 10 seconds. It's too easy. & as long as everything stays in this 'happy, happy' mode, where nothing bad ever hardly ever happens, TS4 will always just be a decent, average game for me. I play with Mods to get the game to be playable. If I didn't have Mods, I wouldn't play.

I once had a meteor kill all 8 University dorm sims including mine. I was shook for life ahaha I just remember seeing a weird shadow on the floor and thinking "Is something about to fall on my sim?" and then BAM. The Grimm Reaper took so long to reap all of them ahaha Because they were all together at the entrance they all got killed.

I'd love to have an option in Sims 4 which asks something like "There's a volcano eruption looming" "Fatal" "Non fatal" or similar.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    For me, I have decent time playing TS4. >:) The graphics are definitely good & runs smooth, but overall I feel this game lacks depth, as there's just no challenge. There's no danger, consequences for actions, or any really unexpected events and everything is just so happy. I can remember those days in TS3, when a meteor would just randomly fall out of the sky and kill my Sim. & in TS2 it actually took effort to make friends and have a romantic relationship, due to having an attraction system, with turn ons and turn offs. If a Sim didn't like your Sim, good luck trying to get that relationship to work. Someone cheated, it took work to salvage that relationship. In TS4, Sims cheat and fight and then hug right after, which literally makes no sense. You want a friend, it takes 10 seconds, you want a husband, add another 10 seconds. It's too easy. & as long as everything stays in this 'happy, happy' mode, where nothing bad ever hardly ever happens, TS4 will always just be a decent, average game for me. I play with Mods to get the game to be playable. If I didn't have Mods, I wouldn't play.

I'd love to have an option in Sims 4 which asks something like "There's a volcano eruption looming" "Fatal" "Non fatal" or similar.

That just perpetuates the current issue of nothing happening unless you choose to make it happen. Sims 4 lacks the random events from past games, and I don’t consider a random event where you control the outcome from the beginning a good design at all. Misses the point.