Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THREAD CLOSED

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019
    What is filled to the brim with game play about Island living?

Snorkelling?
    Rabbit hole “diving” - it is beyond pathetic that staring at a buoy whilst waiting for a sim to appear is considered game play.
    Rabbit hole cave -again see point above.
    “Cultural festivals” I.e watch sims dance round the Windenburg bonfire whilst doing the Windenburg fire dance. Some sims talk in the back ground. - not new - in fact it makes the festivals in city living look excellent and they already reused a ton of base game content that by the devs admission nobody was playing with.
    Watching sims “sunbathe” on appropriate spots with a towel or lounge chair. Except the sim looks like uncomfortable and there is no multi tasking. It’s akin to watching paint dry. Also worth pointing out that by sims I mean teens, young adults, adults and elders because for some reason children can’t sunbathe or tan/burn.
    Watching sims pick up trash. Wow. Exciting stuff.
    Watching sims make the same sand sculptures over and over.
    Sims with tails - mermaids. Can’t have mer children and no underwater lot for them but they can change the weather and drain a sim of their needs - if you are lucky. Mermaids live on the land.

Now when you consider that only ONE of those activities is permitted outside Sulani, it really doesn’t seem like EA are living up to their own definition of expansion pack: “large packs that expand your game and take your sims on new adventures”

New rabbit hole adventures more like.

So, just like some other people here you don't consider Sims to have any gameplay whatsoever.
    Because again

Every.
    Interaction.
    In.
    The.
    Game.
    Works.
    Like.
    That.

Workout = Click on machine, watch Sim cycle through an animation for a few minutes. JUST like the things you listed.
    Jogging = Watch Sim cycle through an animation for a few minutes. JUST Like the things you listed.
    Cooking = Watch Sim cycle through an animation for a few minutes. JUST like the thins you listed.

And so on and so forth.

So you obviously hate all sims games and should not play the Sims. Because Sims 1 - 3 was ALSO exactly like that.

In short, none of your points above makes any sense unless this specific pack was the first Sims game you every played ever.

Edit: So to answer your first sentence. Yes. And I love that gameplay. This pack is obviously right up my alley, while not yours. If I could get my money back for Seasons I would take that offer... While I consider this a core pack I would never start the game without, just like City LIving.
    I play Sims 3 and I can assure you there’s much more to the game than click - watch animation, click - watch animation. If there wouldn’t be more to it, I would have stopped playing the game a long time ago (as I have stopped playing Sims 4 for this reason). What you describe is best explained for me when you compare WA and JA. In WA your sim enters a tomb that can look completely harmless and empty. Is it though? That’s where the searching and exploring and puzzling begins. Sure, at the end of the day it’s all objects your sim interacts with, but it’s all part of a process. In JA the ‘traps’ are objects you click and you choose. Click and choose. Click and choose. And when you click and choose long enough hurray, you’ll finish the temple. Finishing a tomb in Sims 3 is always a bit of a shame for me. Like finishing a good book. Finishing the temple was nothing but a desillusion.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Snorkelling?
    Rabbit hole “diving” - it is beyond pathetic that staring at a buoy whilst waiting for a sim to appear is considered game play.
    “Cultural festivals” I.e watch sims dance round the Windenburg bonfire whilst doing the Windenburg fire dance. Some sims talk in the back ground. - not new - in fact it makes the festivals in city living look excellent and they already reused a ton of base game content that by the devs admission nobody was playing with.
    Watching sims “sunbathe” on appropriate spots with a towel or lounge chair. Except the sim looks like uncomfortable and there is no multi tasking. It’s akin to watching paint dry. Also worth pointing out that by sims I mean teens, young adults, adults and elders because for some reason children can’t sunbathe or tan/burn.
    Sims with tails - mermaids. Can’t have mer children and no underwater lot for them but they can change the weather and drain a sim of their needs - if you are lucky. Mermaids live on the land.

Now when you consider that only ONE of those activities is permitted outside Sulani, it really doesn’t seem like EA are living up to their own definition of expansion pack: “large packs that expand your game and take your sims on new adventures”

So, just like some other people here you don't consider Sims to have any gameplay whatsoever.
    Because again

Every.
    Interaction.
    In.
    The.
    Game.
    Works.
    Like.
    That.

Workout = Click on machine, watch Sim cycle through an animation for a few minutes. JUST like the things you listed.
    Jogging = Watch Sim cycle through an animation for a few minutes. JUST Like the things you listed.
    Cooking = Watch Sim cycle through an animation for a few minutes. JUST like the thins you listed.

And so on and so forth.

So you obviously hate all sims games and should not play the Sims. Because Sims 1 - 3 was ALSO exactly like that.

In short, none of your points above makes any sense unless this specific pack was the first Sims game you every played ever.

Edit: So to answer your first sentence. Yes. And I love that gameplay. This pack is obviously right up my alley, while not yours. If I could get my money back for Seasons I would take that offer... While I consider this a core pack I would never start the game without, just like City LIving.
    I play Sims 3 and I can assure you there’s much more to the game than click - watch animation, click - watch animation. If there wouldn’t be more to it, I would have stopped playing the game a long time ago (as I have stopped playing Sims 4 for this reason). What you describe is best explained for me when you compare WA and JA. In WA your sim enters a tomb that can look completely harmless and empty. Is it though? That’s where the searching and exploring and puzzling begins. Sure, at the end of the day it’s all objects your sim interacts with, but it’s all part of a process. In JA the ‘traps’ are objects you click and you choose. Click and choose. Click and choose. And when you click and choose long enough hurray, you’ll finish the temple. Finishing a tomb in Sims 3 is always a bit of a shame for me. Like finishing a good book. Finishing the temple was nothing but a desillusion.

Great example. That's what I mean. And I agree. I'm currently stuck in a tomb in Egypt.
    edited July 2019
    I don't have this pack yet, but I just find it funny how when they were first teasing this EP, the gurus keep saying "You're gonna LOVE it!" and then once it's released it turns out that a vast majority of people are extremely underwhelmed and don't even think it was worth the price.

"Vast majority" is 4 really vocal people.

1,6K people agreed with this video.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Odd you would pick one of the most scripted expansions in Sims 3 - never mind compare an expansion to a game pack. I actually enjoy both packs by the way even if WA is one of the most scripted packs it was fun. I enjoy JA as well.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited July 2019

Snorkelling?

Because again

Every.
    Interaction.
    In.
    The.
    Game.
    Works.
    Like.
    That.

And so on and so forth.

I have played Sims 1 up until Vacation. Not only was it utterly boring and frustrating, but it also tripled my loading times. Made me stop playing the game.

I played Sims 2. Bon Voyage was my last pack. Same exact story, actually, hardware wise. Not at all as boring, but also tripled my loading times.

I played Sims 3 up until Seasons. Unlike 1 and 2 I was jumping packs, as I said. I bought Island Paradise and Supernatural together in a sale, but never played them. The reason here was less a specific pack, I was just tired of the game.

So far I am not tired of Sims 4, I bought it on release day and WAS tired of it for a bit right at the beginning; I bought Outdoor retreat, found it pointless, stopped playing, stumbled over the release ad for Vampires and went back in and never regretted it since.

As for the dungeons / crypts. I love Jungle Adventure, and never finished more than one dungeon in World Adventure. It was just frustrating to me. Just like many others I only used the pack for the plants. And maybe to go on a vacation ONCE, learn martial arts and then never actually leave the dojo just go home as soon as you unlocked the skill.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    edited July 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Odd you would pick one of the most scripted expansions in Sims 3 - never mind compare an expansion to a game pack. I actually enjoy both packs by the way even if WA is one of the most scripted packs it was fun. I enjoy JA as well.
    The best Sims 4 packs are actually the game packs. Besides, I was comparing gameplay, not the amount of content there. Sims 4’s vampires (GP) are more advanced than Sims 3’s (EP). Unfortunately it seems like they are an exception. And actually the fact that WA is ‘scripted’ (in a way, you can also have your sims go there on their honeymoon and have a great time because the worlds are so adjustable) and still so immersive and challenging, rather proves my point there’s more to it than just click-animation.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited July 2019
    I don't have this pack yet, but I just find it funny how when they were first teasing this EP, the gurus keep saying "You're gonna LOVE it!" and then once it's released it turns out that a vast majority of people are extremely underwhelmed and don't even think it was worth the price.

Providing 1. that 1.6K people is a large portion of players of Sims 4, which it's not. 1.6k people is what? 0.02% of players?
    Providing 2. that all those are upvoting the video because they agree, and not because they want to support the youtuber.
    Providing 3. that people who LIKE the pack are out posting about it instead of actually playing it. (I am an anomaly, because i reallly have no possibility to play on weekdays, so all I can do is hang around the forums). Fact is that complainers ALWAYS thinks they are the majority, because the actual majority is quiet, happily playing the game.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited July 2019
    Aine wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg the problem isn't the happy happy, it's that you don't have to work for it - it's BORING. I want some REAL stakes, and the possibility of FAILURE, which there is NONE in Sims 4. Just please make it challenging on some level, instead of just giving happy moodlet after happy moodlet - it's creepy even, because it's not normal. It's like playing a teletubbie game - super disturbing at times. Just give us SOMETHING that is challenging. That's all. I want happy sims to mean something, not just a freaky unrealistic sunshine and rainbow image of life - I want it to be meaningful, cozy and special. And Sims 4 is making that REALLY hard.

Exactly.

The Sims has never been a challenge game. You want challenges go play a sims side game or almost any other game but a Sims game. It is like playing dolls - think about it - the story your have in your head is the play - dolls do not tell you how to play them or give direction - you make the story as you see fit It is a dollhouse after all - not Dungeons and Dragons or WOW. Look how many carried on when the devs offered a challenge even as easy as it was with Strangertown and people screamed that wasn't the sims. Make up my mind.... which is it - you want challenge or you want well games you make up as you go along - the Sims. You apparently can't have both.... By the way never once had a doll or doll house that came with rules and guidance - and believe it or not they had endless play. It is what you make it and always has been.... I know I've played this game the last 20 years and still love it. All of the series I have enjoyed. I wasn't a kid when I start in 1999 testing the first game - so maybe i see it through different eyes - what can I say - it is what I make it....
    @Writin_Reg I couldn't disagree more with what you're saying. Games like Sims 1 and 2 was very much able to provide players with challenges - danger even - while also being a true sandbox game where the player truly rules. I'm not sure how the heck you play sims, but I sure don't play it as a 'dollhouse' - I don't want to play dress up and 'pretend' things are happening - I want things to actually happen in the game, and I want the control while also being challenged and have random things happen that I have to work around. If I don't like it, I can reload the save. How can this concept be so hard to get? I don't want to play pretend, I want a SIMULATION. For real, what the what. I don't mean to be rude, I'm truly flabbergasted by how different we view the game. Honestly!

Edit: in essence, previous games made it possible for both you and I to play the game WE wanted - but it's getting harder, WAY harder in Sims 4, that's just the truth. YOUR play style is still possible, because all you care about is 'dollhouse' play - well I'm not like that, and many others aswell, we want actual sandbox and simulation play. There shouldn't be just one way to play Sims, but MANY, because that's what we liked about the first games. Period.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---

Snorkelling?

Because again

Every.
    Interaction.
    In.
    The.
    Game.
    Works.
    Like.
    That.

And so on and so forth.

I have played Sims 1 up until Vacation. Not only was it utterly boring and frustrating, but it also tripled my loading times. Made me stop playing the game.

I played Sims 2. Bon Voyage was my last pack. Same exact story, actually, hardware wise. Not at all as boring, but also tripled my loading times.

I played Sims 3 up until Seasons. Unlike 1 and 2 I was jumping packs, as I said. I bought Island Paradise and Supernatural together in a sale, but never played them. The reason here was less a specific pack, I was just tired of the game.

So far I am not tired of Sims 4, I bought it on release day and WAS tired of it for a bit right at the beginning; I bought Outdoor retreat, found it pointless, stopped playing, stumbled over the release ad for Vampires and went back in and never regretted it since.

As for the dungeons / crypts. I love Jungle Adventure, and never finished more than one dungeon in World Adventure. It was just frustrating to me. Just like many others I only used the pack for the plants. And maybe to go on a vacation ONCE, learn martial arts and then never actually leave the dojo just go home as soon as you unlocked the skill.
    I was just thinking by the way, also some of Sims 4’s packs (EP’s and GP’s) contradict what you’re stating, we don’t even have to turn to predecessors for that. I can’t argue with statements without arguments though, like you’re doing now. “I love puddles, to me they’re so much deeper than the ocean.” That’s quite alright, we all have our preferences ;)
    5JZ57S6.png

Providing 1. that 1.6K people is a large portion of players of Sims 4, which it's not. 1.6k people is what? 0.02% of players?
    Providing 2. that all those are upvoting the video because they agree, and not because they want to support the youtuber.
    Providing 3. that people who LIKE the pack are out posting about it instead of actually playing it. (I am an anomaly, because i reallly have no possibility to play on weekdays, so all I can do is hang around the forums). Fact is that complainers ALWAYS thinks they are the majority, because the actual majority is quiet, happily playing the game.
    You said 4. It’s not 4, it’s shared by much more players than that. At least 1,6K. I have no idea how much that is percentage wise, but it’s quite a lot I’d say.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited July 2019
    @Writin_Reg the problem isn't the happy happy, it's that you don't have to work for it - it's BORING. I want some REAL stakes, and the possibility of FAILURE, which there is NONE in Sims 4. Just please make it challenging on some level, instead of just giving happy moodlet after happy moodlet - it's creepy even, because it's not normal. It's like playing a teletubbie game - super disturbing at times. Just give us SOMETHING that is challenging. That's all. I want happy sims to mean something, not just a freaky unrealistic sunshine and rainbow image of life - I want it to be meaningful, cozy and special. And Sims 4 is making that REALLY hard.

Exactly.

The Sims has never been a challenge game. You want challenges go play a sims side game or almost any other game but a Sims game. It is like playing dolls - think about it - the story your have in your head is the play - dolls do not tell you how to play them or give direction - you make the story as you see fit It is a dollhouse after all - not Dungeons and Dragons or WOW. Look how many carried on when the devs offered a challenge even as easy as it was with Strangertown and people screamed that wasn't the sims. Make up my mind.... which is it - you want challenge or you want well games you make up as you go along - the Sims. You apparently can't have both.... By the way never once had a doll or doll house that came with rules and guidance - and believe it or not they had endless play. It is what you make it and always has been.... I know I've played this game the last 20 years and still love it. All of the series I have enjoyed. I wasn't a kid when I start in 1999 testing the first game - so maybe i see it through different eyes - what can I say - it is what I make it....
    @Writin_Reg I couldn't disagree more with what you're saying. Games like Sims 1 and 2 was very much able to provide players with challenges - danger even - while also being a true sandbox game where the player truly rules. I'm not sure how the heck you play sims, but I sure don't play it as a 'dollhouse' - I don't want to play dress up and 'pretend' things are happening - I want things to actually happen in the game, and I want the control while also being challenged and have random things happen that I have to work around. If I don't like it, I can reload the save. How can this concept be so hard to get? I don't want to play pretend, I want a SIMULATION. For real, what the what. I don't mean to be rude, I'm truly flabbergasted by how different we view the game. Honestly!

I feel the same. As someone who still plays the sims 1 from time to time and it is HARD.
    I lost three babies to the social worker, Mortimer Goth died in a fire, he then came back as a zombie, Bella was too depressed to go to work what with losing her child to social services and then her Husband and lost her job. No imagination or input required from me. That was a fortnight ago, so not nostalgia talking.

I have been playing since the Sims 1. I was thirteen at the time. I adored the game and the following games in the series because it was different, things happened and their lives were never ever easy. It was challenging in the best way.
    edited July 2019

Exactly.

Exactly.

And that is a fair point. BUT, it is not the feedback the devs have gotten. If you pay attention to what they have repeatedly said, every iteration of the Sims has become less deadly, because the players care too much about their favorite sims to want to have them die.
    Again, 1 was BRUTAL and extremely frustrating unless you cheated money. 2 was slightly less so but still very deadly. 3... Still far deadlier than 4, to the point that they had to patch out or significantly lower the probabilities of several deaths because people were threatening to leave the game if they didn't.

In fact, the "doll house" IS what the vast majority of players DO in Sims, and also what the original game didn't allow for. If I remember correctly it was actually quite a surprise for the original (and Sims 2) devs that people cared for individual Sims. They thought players would see individual Sims like say the ants in Sim Ant, just disposable... things... that you threw away when they died. They never understood how players would reload over and over to save the lives of their favorite Sims until afterwards.

(Edit: I am not sure why it decided to quote you twice. I didn't tell it to and I cannot find anything wrong when I am editing the post...)
    edited July 2019
    @MidnightAura Yes, exactly! They don't have to go back to the Sims 1 level of difficulty, but I wouldn't mind a Try hard mode for Sims, that would be pretty rad. :D

The truth is that anyone that can't see the flaws of Sims 4 probably plays the Sims A LOT differently than us that do. Sims use to provide different ways of playing the game, now it just feels so limited and I feel 'boxed in' while playing. No, game I don't want all my sims to be happy all the time, and I want the danger of a random satellite falling on their heads, just anything pls! :p
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---

Snorkelling?

Because again

Every.
    Interaction.
    In.
    The.
    Game.
    Works.
    Like.
    That.

And so on and so forth.

I was just thinking by the way, also some of Sims 4’s packs (EP’s and GP’s) contradict what you’re stating, we don’t even have to turn to predecessors for that. I can’t argue with statements without arguments though, like you’re doing now. “I love puddles, to me they’re so much deeper than the ocean.” That’s quite alright, we all have our preferences ;)

Not sure what you are trying to say here, really. Are you saying my experiences are invalid but yours are "facts"? As for what contradicts what? I don't have a clue what you are talking about.
    @MidnightAura Yes, exactly! They don't have to go back to the Sims 1 level of difficulty, but I wouldn't mind a Try hard mode for Sims, that would be pretty rad. :D

I will accept consequences and depth. Because I think it’s missing from the sims 4. When i have to pretend my sims 4 sims care they have a child flunking school or pretend a kid is upset they have just caught their parent cheating or kicked the bucket- there is something wrong. I didn’t have to pretend in the earlier games.
    edited July 2019

I will accept consequences and depth. Because I think it’s missing from the sims 4. When i have to pretend my sims 4 sims care they have a child flunking school or pretend a kid is upset they have just caught their parent cheating or kicked the bucket- there is something wrong. I didn’t have to pretend in the earlier games.

HUh. I don't have to pretend in Sims 4. Or maybe I do (see below). Point is it comes easy for me, then.
    Edit: I also don't consider "death by random event" meaningful in any way or adding "debth" to anything. My mind, my imagination, is a far bigger source for "depth" than any RNG electrocution or satelite-in-face. That's just sloppy coding and "hur hur he's dead" to me.

But then I can get a fully emotional play out of Skyrim or Fallout 4, while other players loathe non-linear JRPGs because "no depth".
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    edited July 2019
    @EA_Mage @EA_Mai Can anyone turn comments off? I think this thread has gone off topic and I would like to officially close it, but the only option on my end is ‘edit’ and that’s to change the title. Thank you.

@MidnightAura That is so true. I also want more in depth personalities, and a wider range of them that impacts the game more. I really don't care about moodlets, they feel so fake to me. A points type system would be So much better. B)
    Allons-y!

The truth is that anyone that can't see the flaws of Sims 4 probably plays the Sims A LOT differently than us that do. Sims use to provide different ways of playing the game, now it just feels so limited and I feel 'boxed in' while playing. No, game I don't want all my sims to be happy all the time, and I want the danger of a random satellite falling on their heads, just anything pls! :p

This is one thing I give you, and something the gurus have mentioned. The need to re-balance the game so the default emotion is "fine" not "happy". That would fix a lot, emotion wise.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019

Snorkelling?

Because again

Every.
    Interaction.
    In.
    The.
    Game.
    Works.
    Like.
    That.

And so on and so forth.

Ok. You all need to stop 🐸🐸🐸🐸 on WA. It's literally one of the best packs in this franchise. So....underrated. I understand how the adventure story lines might not be typical of a sim's game...but so isn't Strangerville which many were ok with even though it was kind of garbage, so stop trying to put it down. WA is a pack that I would put up there with Bon Voyage, Open For Business and Makin Magic. That pack is absolutely huge, there's like 4 or so new skills in it, basically the whole collectable system in TS3, nectar making which includes a ton of harvestable combinations including new grape types and different types of nectar quality, martial arts which includes teleporting, sparing, tournaments with rankings, there's snake enchanting, photography with a whole photography collection, mummies, 6 new different songs sims can learn, 2 new greetings, eating with chopsticks, the passport vacation system, relics and loot rarity (contemporary, antique, ancient etc.), new recipes of ethnic foods, 3 new amazing looking worlds, camping gear, traps and ways of torturing sims, the introduction of basements to the franchise, the list never ends honestly.

JA is constricted to how the worlds of TS4 work, they had to make due with what they had, and I find that GP fairly enjoyable for a GP, plus the world looks nice and it did bring two new skills and some new animations and death types and new collectables, plus skeletons and some new dangers.

I mean I payed double for Island Living and that pack has 0 new skills, a ton of recycled animations, rabbit hole scuba diving, rabbit hole careers, and 0 impact on gameplay other than a few small things like travelling through boat and ocean swimming. And once again they decided to put lot exclusive traits in it. I don't approve.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

HUh. I don't have to pretend in Sims 4. Or maybe I do (see below). Point is it comes easy for me, then.
    Edit: I also don't consider "death by random event" meaningful in any way or adding "debth" to anything. My mind, my imagination, is a far bigger source for "depth" than any RNG electrocution or satelite-in-face. That's just sloppy coding and "hur hur he's dead" to me.

But then I can get a fully emotional play out of Skyrim or Fallout 4, while other players loathe non-linear JRPGs because "no depth".

You do in a vanilla game. A sims 4 sim flunks school - the parent will not care. I think at worst the child gets a bad moodlet which doesn’t impact due to happy moodlets.
    Sims 2- kids and parents (and grandparents cared)

Child catches parent cheating in sims 4? No reaction. My child sat watching his dad make out with the next door neighbour- not a reaction. Just ate his ice cream.

Sims 2- child takes a major hit with the parent in relationship and loathes the other sim. Quite often rolls a want to “drink them” aka see them dead.

Death isn’t much better in the sims 4. If the sim doesn’t witness the death, it’s business as usual. Took my sim 2 sim days to acknowledge his Mother’s death. He came home from school, walked by the urn and immediately went to the pc to troll the forums. When his sadness hit it was fleeting, quite often it was solved by going to a different room. The sadness buff was taken over by happiness buffs.

Sims 2- Family members will gather at the urn or grave to mourn (or in the case of my sim who hated her Mother - to laugh) This sadness continues for several Sim days, Sims will dream about their dead relatives and want to see them re incarnated.

That’s what I mean when I have to pretend my sim 4 sims care.
    Even sims 1 sims handle death more realistically. Sims 4 sims barely notice. Even the hamster deaths initially didn’t initially cause a sad moodlet- sims didn’t care their pets had just died. What a weird thing to overlook in a pack called my first pet. Most children remember the death of their first pet. I do.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

Exactly.

Exactly.

And that is a fair point. BUT, it is not the feedback the devs have gotten. If you pay attention to what they have repeatedly said, every iteration of the Sims has become less deadly, because the players care too much about their favorite sims to want to have them die.
    Again, 1 was BRUTAL and extremely frustrating unless you cheated money. 2 was slightly less so but still very deadly. 3... Still far deadlier than 4, to the point that they had to patch out or significantly lower the probabilities of several deaths because people were threatening to leave the game if they didn't.

In fact, the "doll house" IS what the vast majority of players DO in Sims, and also what the original game didn't allow for. If I remember correctly it was actually quite a surprise for the original (and Sims 2) devs that people cared for individual Sims. They thought players would see individual Sims like say the ants in Sim Ant, just disposable... things... that you threw away when they died. They never understood how players would reload over and over to save the lives of their favorite Sims until afterwards.

(Edit: I am not sure why it decided to quote you twice. I didn't tell it to and I cannot find anything wrong when I am editing the post...)

That happens with every iteration. It has happened with TS4 too. The devs just like to pander to the players now because otherwise they'll cry their hearts out on twitter.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Snorkelling?

Because again

Every.
    Interaction.
    In.
    The.
    Game.
    Works.
    Like.
    That.

And so on and so forth.

Ok. You all need to stop plum on WA. It's literally one of the best packs in this franchise. So....underrated. I understand how the adventure story lines might not be typical of a sim's game...but so isn't Strangerville which many were ok with even though it was kind of garbage, so stop trying to put it down. WA is a pack that I would put up there with Bon Voyage, Open For Business and Makin Magic. That pack is absolutely huge, there's like 4 or so new skills in it, basically the whole collectable system in TS3, nectar making which includes a ton of harvestable combinations including new grape types and different types of nectar quality, martial arts which includes teleporting, sparing, tournaments with rankings, there's snake enchanting, photography with a whole photography collection, mummies, 6 new different songs sims can learn, 2 new greetings, eating with chopsticks, the passport vacation system, relics and loot rarity (contemporary, antique, ancient etc.), new recipes of ethnic foods, 3 new amazing looking worlds, camping gear, traps and ways of torturing sims, the introduction of basements to the franchise, the list never ends honestly.

JA is constricted to how the worlds of TS4 work, they had to make due with what they had, and I find that GP fairly enjoyable for a GP, plus the world looks nice and it did bring two new skills and some new animations and death types and new collectables, plus skeletons and some new dangers.

I mean I payed double for Island Living and that pack has 0 new skills, a ton of recycled animations, rabbit hole scuba diving, rabbit hole careers, and 0 impact on gameplay other than a few small things like travelling through boat and ocean swimming. And once again they decided to put lot exclusive traits in it. I don't approve.

I didn't like Strangerville. Open for business was BOOOORING, Making Magic I never bought because it didn't interest me (like I will skip the magic pack coming this fall unless it's amazing, because witches has never held my interest in any shape, way or form ever). So maybe further explaining why I didn't like WA, and you did, since your other good packs are packs I didn't like either :)
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    Hey, y'all! I acknowledge that at least some of you are enjoying this discussion, but the OP has asked for the thread to be closed, & it'd be kind to oblige her. Maybe start another thread? :smile: (Me, I was reading this with interest, but I hate to see someone distressed, y'know?)
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

Exactly.

Edit: in essence, previous games made it possible for both you and I to play the game WE wanted - but it's getting harder, WAY harder in Sims 4, that's just the truth. YOUR play style is still possible, because all you care about is 'dollhouse' play - well I'm not like that, and many others aswell, we want actual sandbox and simulation play. There shouldn't be just one way to play Sims, but MANY, because that's what we liked about the first games. Period.
    Out of curiosity you want what type pf game play that isn't playing a dollhouse game? Which this is probably criticized the most for being like you are playing a dollhouse.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top