Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THREAD CLOSED

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Aine wrote: »
    For me Sims 4 is WAY more strict than any other Sims game - it has WAY more limitations and I can't do what I want. In sims 2, where a lot of bad things could happen, I almost NEVER let anything bad happen to my sims, they were happy all the time, mostly. but the few times that they were miserable, fed into the time they weren't and made them more special and 'real. I just want that back. The incessant smiling only works for me if I actually have to work for it - it's not about real life happiness, it's a GAME. And for me, I love giving my sims happy lives, but there's no fun or meaning if there are no challenge. I wish the game could give us the OPTION to play more challenging, instead of the happy rainbows all the time. That way, people that want the psychedelic smiling can have that, and the rest of us can get real gameplay also.

Playing the Sims has always been difficult at the start of a new version of the game. When you get a routine and some experience, it will become easier to achieve what you want. I don't know what you mean with "psychedelic smiling"? Try to play with some sims with bad traits and/or at other places than you have tried until now!
    Picture: Robinson going mad without human companionship.
    4agpqYD.jpg

Picture: Vaiana scolding to a criminal person, doing illegal fishing.
    g4c0OQg.jpg

That's scripted. The game forces sims to do that once they are given the NPC tag that makes them trash the environment. It's not something that happens just because.

The point, though, is that the whole "unnatural smiling" thing... just doesn't hold water. Personally I can agree that it's sometimes too easy to make them happy, but the facial expressions are always very realistic and well made.

I don't agree.

LkEZkMP.png?1

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Well babajayne, luckily for you, you can still play TS3. It is still available, the store is still operational, and modders are still modding that game. Personally, speaking as someone who has played all the sims games as they were released, I found TS3 to be the most frustrating, unstable and buggy of the games -- absolutely unplayable without mods. I still played it and enjoyed it while it ran, thanks to Twallan and his excellent mods, but I very much appreciate how stable and bug-free my TS4 game is in comparison. And I loved TS4 Seasons as it was (it is still my favourite pack), in part because it included some elements not in TS3: flower-arranging, customizable holidays and a calendar, a revamped (and greatly improved) gardening system, a new gardening career, family tree decorating and carol-singing, grand meals, more customizable decorations for houses, beekeeping, the kiddie pool, and Patchy.

I don’t think the point of the post was going back to play Sims 3. The post was to show a comparison of content.

I disagree with Sims 4 being bug free because there are so many bugs right now, it is adding to my frustration with the game. Toddlers are unplayable. Parts of Sulani are unplayable. Mermaid genetics are not working etc.

It was difficult for me to play TS3 at time, so I was just saying I didn't always enjoy all of those features listed given all the bugginess of the game (especially true for me of IP which caused nothing but lag on a very good computer). And I did mention (by way of comparison) a lot of unique features in TS4 Seasons which were not present in TS3 that I liked. As for the problems with your TS4 game, I am sorry. Do you perhaps have mods that are not updated yet, or maybe a faulty installation? Or have you tried repairing your game?

Since IL was released, I have literally played everywhere on Sulani, all three islands, as well as fishing (using the canoe) and swimming extensively, harvesting plants and exploring etc and have not found any part of this world to be unplayable. Toddlers are certainly not unplayable in my game: I mainly do family play and all my toddlers have worked as normal the whole way through, using high chairs and potties properly, learning and gaining skills and even aging up normally.

Glad to hear you are so fortunate considering there are a ton of bug threads regarding these issues on AQ.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    It’s been less than 3 weeks and a huge number of players have expressed that they’ve done all the EP offers and aren’t impressed. Less than 3 weeks on this expansion pack that they presumably spent around a year producing. Management should be frantic at this point, clearly the budget is not being used appropriately and something needs to change immediately.

Don’t get me wrong there’s always been players finding themselves in this situation, bored with the pack not long after release, but the scale we’re seeing with this pack is unheard of. There is no way things are sunshine and rainbows at Maxis right now.
  • Options
    brookeremybrookeremy Posts: 1 New Member
    It doesn't seems worth it for almost 40 USD
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I don't have this pack yet, but I just find it funny how when they were first teasing this EP, the gurus keep saying "You're gonna LOVE it!" and then once it's released it turns out that a vast majority of people are extremely underwhelmed and don't even think it was worth the price.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I don't have this pack yet, but I just find it funny how when they were first teasing this EP, the gurus keep saying "You're gonna LOVE it!" and then once it's released it turns out that a vast majority of people are extremely underwhelmed and don't even think it was worth the price.

"Vast majority" is 4 really vocal people.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    It’s been less than 3 weeks and a huge number of players have expressed that they’ve done all the EP offers and aren’t impressed. Less than 3 weeks on this expansion pack that they presumably spent around a year producing. Management should be frantic at this point, clearly the budget is not being used appropriately and something needs to change immediately.

Don’t get me wrong there’s always been players finding themselves in this situation, bored with the pack not long after release, but the scale we’re seeing with this pack is unheard of. There is no way things are sunshine and rainbows at Maxis right now.

I still think it's an issue of "I don't find what's to do FUN" than "there's nothing to do". This pack has as much to do as any other pack. But if you don't find what is there entertaining, of course you will get bored.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

LOL sure if you are using this thread as your reference. I have watched a few gamechangers even say it is not worth the money and to wait for a sale. This coming from the "marketers" of the game for EA.
  • Options
    NezImaniNezImani Posts: 1,016 Member

When you have people that have written guides for these games tell you themselves that this game has no depth to it, multiple threads (with more than just four people) saying they’re disappointed with this EP, that this EP should cost no where near $40, that’s not a good thing.

ESPECIALLY when EA didn’t even start advertising this pack until like weeks before it was released. I honestly think they were scrambling to see if they would even have what they were showing finished. It’s just, too many things are pointing to an underlying problem that they’re trying to patch by releasing unfinished games hoping marketing makes up something to make these unfinished games marketable.

I feel that, if this shallowness is what will become of EP’s then I truly do feel the sims has lost what initially drew me and many of the vocal voices to it. It was not JUST being able to create pretty things, but also having gameplay that significantly complemented the sims/lots/worlds created.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I am loving it, I think I am getting addictive, first thing I though of this morning, Have not done my dishes, and I am a hour late with my lunch, just a quick post before I eat, just put in a library, love it, and a gym. And there is so much more I have not played with yet, I just found out if you clean up the trash you can get treasures for money. I am having so much fun. Have been playing since 9 this morning and it is past 1 now. will post pictures later. Have fun with your sims.
  • Options
    NezImaniNezImani Posts: 1,016 Member
    SatiraNL wrote: »
    I like certain things about Island Living, and it does add some stuff to the game, but not enough to call it an expansion nor for asking a price this high. It should have been a Game Pack as best, and even then there are game packs that added more gameplay than IL does. So overall disappointed with what I got for the price and that this is called an "expansion" which means we won't get a new one for a while, but I will play with it nevertheless.

Me and you both.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    keekee53 wrote: »

LOL sure if you are using this thread as your reference. I have watched a few gamechangers even say it is not worth the money and to wait for a sale. This coming from the "marketers" of the game for EA.

And that's their OPINION. I have mine. I would definitely tell anyone that asks to never ever buy outdoor retreat and wait for a sale on Seasons, which basically only adds obstacles to the gameplay.
    NezImani wrote: »
    SatiraNL wrote: »
    I like certain things about Island Living, and it does add some stuff to the game, but not enough to call it an expansion nor for asking a price this high. It should have been a Game Pack as best, and even then there are game packs that added more gameplay than IL does. So overall disappointed with what I got for the price and that this is called an "expansion" which means we won't get a new one for a while, but I will play with it nevertheless.

Me and you both.

And this is, still, what I find so fascinating. The claim that there is not enough added gameplay, and I look at these posts and go "wow, I wonder what I see that they don't?" because it is filled to the brim with gameplay.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited July 2019
    What is filled to the brim with game play about Island living?

Snorkelling?
    Rabbit hole “diving” - it is beyond pathetic that staring at a buoy whilst waiting for a sim to appear is considered game play.
    Rabbit hole cave -again see point above.
    “Cultural festivals” I.e watch sims dance round the Windenburg bonfire whilst doing the Windenburg fire dance. Some sims talk in the back ground. - not new - in fact it makes the festivals in city living look excellent and they already reused a ton of base game content that by the devs admission nobody was playing with.
    Watching sims “sunbathe” on appropriate spots with a towel or lounge chair. Except the sim looks like uncomfortable and there is no multi tasking. It’s akin to watching paint dry. Also worth pointing out that by sims I mean teens, young adults, adults and elders because for some reason children can’t sunbathe or tan/burn.
    Watching sims pick up trash. Wow. Exciting stuff.
    Watching sims make the same sand sculptures over and over.
    Sims with tails - mermaids. Can’t have mer children and no underwater lot for them but they can change the weather and drain a sim of their needs - if you are lucky. Mermaids live on the land.

Now when you consider that only ONE of those activities is permitted outside Sulani, it really doesn’t seem like EA are living up to their own definition of expansion pack: “large packs that expand your game and take your sims on new adventures”

New rabbit hole adventures more like.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Snorkelling?
    Rabbit hole “diving” - it is beyond pathetic that staring at a buoy whilst waiting for a sim to appear is considered game play.
    “Cultural festivals” I.e watch sims dance round the Windenburg bonfire whilst doing the Windenburg fire dance. Some sims talk in the back ground. - not new - in fact it makes the festivals in city living look excellent and they already reused a ton of base game content that by the devs admission nobody was playing with.
    Watching sims “sunbathe” on appropriate spots with a towel or lounge chair. Except the sim looks like uncomfortable and there is no multi tasking. It’s akin to watching paint dry. Also worth pointing out that by sims I mean teens, young adults, adults and elders because for some reason children can’t sunbathe or tan/burn.
    Sims with tails - mermaids. Can’t have mer children and no underwater lot for them but they can change the weather and drain a sim of their needs - if you are lucky. Mermaids live on the land.

Now when you consider that only ONE of those activities is permitted outside Sulani, it really doesn’t seem like EA are living up to their own definition of expansion pack: “large packs that expand your game and take your sims on new adventures”

So, just like some other people here you don't consider Sims to have any gameplay whatsoever.
    Because again

Every.
    Interaction.
    In.
    The.
    Game.
    Works.
    Like.
    That.

Workout = Click on machine, watch Sim cycle through an animation for a few minutes. JUST like the things you listed.
    Jogging = Watch Sim cycle through an animation for a few minutes. JUST Like the things you listed.
    Cooking = Watch Sim cycle through an animation for a few minutes. JUST like the thins you listed.

And so on and so forth.

So you obviously hate all sims games and should not play the Sims. Because Sims 1 - 3 was ALSO exactly like that.

In short, none of your points above makes any sense unless this specific pack was the first Sims game you every played ever.

Edit: So to answer your first sentence. Yes. And I love that gameplay. This pack is obviously right up my alley, while not yours. If I could get my money back for Seasons I would take that offer... While I consider this a core pack I would never start the game without, just like City LIving.
  • Options
    knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member

Snorkelling?

That would be a great name for any future Sims 4 pack. :D
  • Options

Snorkelling?

So, just like some other people here you don't consider Sims to have any gameplay whatsoever.
    Because again

Every.
    Interaction.
    In.
    The.
    Game.
    Works.
    Like.
    That.

Workout = Click on machine, watch Sim cycle through an animation for a few minutes. JUST like the things you listed.
    Jogging = Watch Sim cycle through an animation for a few minutes. JUST Like the things you listed.
    Cooking = Watch Sim cycle through an animation for a few minutes. JUST like the thins you listed.

And so on and so forth.

So you obviously hate all sims games and should not play the Sims. Because Sims 1 - 3 was ALSO exactly like that.

In short, none of your points above makes any sense unless this specific pack was the first Sims game you every played ever.

Edit: So to answer your first sentence. Yes. And I love that gameplay. This pack is obviously right up my alley, while not yours. If I could get my money back for Seasons I would take that offer... While I consider this a core pack I would never start the game without, just like City LIving.

Missing the point entirely. I'm not even going to comment further.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    Aine wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg the problem isn't the happy happy, it's that you don't have to work for it - it's BORING. I want some REAL stakes, and the possibility of FAILURE, which there is NONE in Sims 4. Just please make it challenging on some level, instead of just giving happy moodlet after happy moodlet - it's creepy even, because it's not normal. It's like playing a teletubbie game - super disturbing at times. Just give us SOMETHING that is challenging. That's all. I want happy sims to mean something, not just a freaky unrealistic sunshine and rainbow image of life - I want it to be meaningful, cozy and special. And Sims 4 is making that REALLY hard.

Exactly.

The Sims has never been a challenge game. You want challenges go play a sims side game or almost any other game but a Sims game. It is like playing dolls - think about it - the story your have in your head is the play - dolls do not tell you how to play them or give direction - you make the story as you see fit It is a dollhouse after all - not Dungeons and Dragons or WOW. Look how many carried on when the devs offered a challenge even as easy as it was with Strangertown and people screamed that wasn't the sims. Make up my mind.... which is it - you want challenge or you want well games you make up as you go along - the Sims. You apparently can't have both.... By the way never once had a doll or doll house that came with rules and guidance - and believe it or not they had endless play. It is what you make it and always has been.... I know I've played this game the last 20 years and still love it. All of the series I have enjoyed. I wasn't a kid when I start in 1999 testing the first game - so maybe i see it through different eyes - what can I say - it is what I make it....

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options

Snorkelling?

Because again

Every.
    Interaction.
    In.
    The.
    Game.
    Works.
    Like.
    That.

And so on and so forth.

Apparently I did, since I replied to what you wrote. If you meant something different from what you wrote, then rewrite better. Because again, and I am carefully re-reading your post, there is nothing there that makes sense from a logical perspective. Nothing you complain about makes any sense unless you have no experience playing Sims. At all. And thought it would be say Skyrim but with office work.

Because if you think those points you make are specifically "good" because you, personally find those specific activites uninteresting, then that completely invalidates your points TOO, since that in NO WAY means it is not added gameplay. It just means you, specifically, did not ENJOY said gameplay.
  • Options
    I am pointing out @Beardedgeek that in my opinion the game is not filled to the brim with game play. Particularly new game play. I'm not quite sure why you went off on a tangent about jogging- that's irrelevant. The expansion is filled with rabbit holes and the only new game play I see is searching for trash and sand castles. The rest is rabbit holes. I'm not even sure I can consider snorkelling new.

My point is the new EP has very weak game play and hugely focuses on aesthetics.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Snorkelling?

Because again

Every.
    Interaction.
    In.
    The.
    Game.
    Works.
    Like.
    That.

And so on and so forth.

Apparently I did, since I replied to what you wrote. If you meant something different from what you wrote, then rewrite better. Because again, and I am carefully re-reading your post, there is nothing there that makes sense from a logical perspective. Nothing you complain about makes any sense unless you have no experience playing Sims. At all. And thought it would be say Skyrim but with office work.

Because if you think those points you make are specifically "good" because you, personally find those specific activites uninteresting, then that completely invalidates your points TOO, since that in NO WAY means it is not added gameplay. It just means you, specifically, did not ENJOY said gameplay.

Exactly. I find tons of gameplay in the sims 4 and totally enjoy new things that offer new gameplay in each pack. I am not the least bit sorry I have all the packs and game play I enjoy in my game. Sure I miss some things from every previous Sims game and hope we get a variation of that gameplay eventually - but I could never say this game has no gameplay as I am thoroughly entertained by every one of the series including this one and look forward to it's future additions too.

If I wanted 100 percent scripted game play I would not always be playing the Sims the most - as I do. I never tire of the Sims games - I always tire of non-Sims games. Like Fall Out 4 I was sick of it in less than six months - have packs for it I have not even played - it bores me with all it's scripted play. Red Dead Redemption didn't last 2 month with me. Skyrim - haven't touched it in years. I have all sorts of big games that are boring - the sims never are because I determine how to play them.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    I am pointing out @Beardedgeek that in my opinion the game is not filled to the brim with game play. Particularly new game play. I'm not quite sure why you went off on a tangent about jogging- that's irrelevant. The expansion is filled with rabbit holes and the only new game play I see is searching for trash and sand castles. The rest is rabbit holes. I'm not even sure I can consider snorkelling new.

My point is the new EP has very weak game play and hugely focuses on aesthetics.

Again, because you don't ENJOY the gameplay doesn't mean it's not there. I thoroughly enjoy it. I do honestly consider this one of three core packs I would never start the game without: Island Living (I don't see me live anywhere else except MAYBE Myshuno ever again in this game), CIty Living, Spa Day.
  • Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Snorkelling?

Because again

Every.
    Interaction.
    In.
    The.
    Game.
    Works.
    Like.
    That.

And so on and so forth.

Exactly. I find tons of gameplay in the sims 4 and totally enjoy new things that offer new gameplay in each pack. I am not the least bit sorry I have all the packs and game play I enjoy in my game. Sure I miss some things from every previous Sims game and hope we get a variation of that gameplay eventually - but I could never say this game has no gameplay as I am thoroughly entertained by every one of the series including this one and look forward to it's future additions too.

If I wanted 100 percent scripted game play I would not always be playing the Sims the most - as I do. I never tire of the Sims games - I always tire of non-Sims games.

It's not about scripted game play. I haven't played the Sims since the original Sims if I were a fan of scripted game play. That trend began and hopefully will end with the Sims 4.

And with all due respect up until January 2017 you yourself were not a fan of this game and stopped playing it. So I believe you of all people should be able to understand why some people have concerns.

Toddlers and vampires may have changed your game overnight into something different, but for many of us, that is not the case. Both are well done but the game itself hasn't changed at its core. It's great it did for you, but for many the game still has flaws.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Snorkelling?

Because again

Every.
    Interaction.
    In.
    The.
    Game.
    Works.
    Like.
    That.

And so on and so forth.

If I wanted 100 percent scripted game play I would not always be playing the Sims the most - as I do. I never tire of the Sims games - I always tire of non-Sims games.

It's not about scripted game play. I haven't played the Sims since the original Sims if I were a fan of scripted game play. That trend began and hopefully will end with the Sims 4.

And with all due respect up until January 2017 you yourself were not a fan of this game and stopped playing it. So I believe you of all people should be able to understand why some people have concerns.

Toddlers and vampires may have changed your game overnight into something different, but for many of us, that is not the case. Both are well done but the game itself hasn't changed at its core. It's great it did for you, but for many the game still has flaws.

They were missing an entire life stage and no supernaturals. I had good reason not to play it. I have stated that many times and it is no secret. They delivered the toddlers I came back the minute they did and I was playing Sims 3 again at the time. This game drew me right out of Sims 3 as much as I loved that game. If it was as boring as you suggest that would never have happened.

Most games I have played including all the Sims games has had flaws - some I fix myself otherwise Sims 3 would have been unplayable - but there is plenty of gameplay - even if it is not your choice of gameplay - it is for a lot of simmers.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

Snorkelling?

Because again

Every.
    Interaction.
    In.
    The.
    Game.
    Works.
    Like.
    That.

And so on and so forth.

They were missing an entire life stage and no supernaturals. I had good reason not to play it. I have stated that many times and it is no secret. They delivered the toddlers I came back the minute they did and I was playing Sims 3 again at the time. This game drew me right out of Sims 3 as much as I loved that game. If it was as boring as you suggest that would never have happened.

Yep. I came back for Vampires. I had quit the games for over a year before that. I didn't even know toddlers were patched in until after getting pregnant...
  • Options

Snorkelling?

Because again

Every.
    Interaction.
    In.
    The.
    Game.
    Works.
    Like.
    That.

And so on and so forth.

And that's fine for you that toddlers and vampires made you find fun where you couldn't before. Toddlers made me 're install the game but it couldn't fix what was broken. They are adorable and very well done but unless I play with aging off I found the game without them was the same game prior to January 2017.

But then are you saying without those, you wouldn't be playing at all?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top