Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THREAD CLOSED

Comments

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    jooxis wrote: »
    I'm having trouble getting into it. I feel like I've already done everything that the pack offers in my first day of gameplay.
    I feel this is easily the weakest expansion pack they have released so far in terms of gameplay and it is even weaker than most of the game packs in this regard which is alarming. And that makes me quite sad and not very hopeful about Realm of Magic.

I think it depends on what you consider "gameplay". I have been playing every day since this pack dropped and I still have tons of things to do.
    Plus I just genuinely love what I have already done.
    Spending every day snorkeling, free diving for seashells and doing yoga in the evenings... (who me? Jealous of my Sims? Nah...)

huh It is very clear fun is subjective because watching my sim swim around a buoy, watching bubble as they dive and then watching them finish the evening with yoga...I need more going on in my game for entertainment.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I'm having trouble getting into it. I feel like I've already done everything that the pack offers in my first day of gameplay.
    I feel this is easily the weakest expansion pack they have released so far in terms of gameplay and it is even weaker than most of the game packs in this regard which is alarming. And that makes me quite sad and not very hopeful about Realm of Magic.

I think it depends on what you consider "gameplay". I have been playing every day since this pack dropped and I still have tons of things to do.
    Spending every day snorkeling, free diving for seashells and doing yoga in the evenings... (who me? Jealous of my Sims? Nah...)

huh It is very clear fun is subjective because watching my sim swim around a buoy, watching bubble as they dive and then watching them finish the evening with yoga...I need more going on in my game for entertainment.

Apparently so.
    I loathe interactive careers ( working from home I can deal with, but doctor or scientist? It's soooooo frustrating after awhile).

I also enjoy them doing similar tasks as snorkeling. Which is all the tasks.
    I still don't get why snorkeling is wrongfully percieved as a "rabbit hole" when you have the exact same interactivity there as literally all other tasks. You can describe every action in the game like you describe snorkeling: workout? Check. Jogging? Check. Cooking? Check. Swimming in a pool? Check. Karaoke? Check.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited July 2019

Apparently so.
    I loathe interactive careers ( working from home I can deal with, but doctor or scientist? It's soooooo frustrating after awhile).

I still don't get why snorkeling is wrongfully percieved as a "rabbit hole" when you have the exact same interactivity there as literally all other tasks. You can describe every action in the game like you describe snorkeling: workout? Check. Jogging? Check. Cooking? Check. Swimming in a pool? Check. Karaoke? Check.

Clearly those referring to snorkeling as a rabbit hole are talking about diving. You know that, you’re just trying to play semantic games with it.

Snorkeling is just as thrilling as diving tho. Your sim swims around a small area and pop up’s tell you what they find. I mean at least they don’t disappear but it’s not like snorkeling is a super exciting activity that adds so many dimensions to the game. It’s like a different form of jogging, and I don’t consider that very entertaining to watch given the repetition in just one play through.
  • MorriSanMorriSan Posts: 412 Member
    edited July 2019

Apparently so.

Clearly those referring to snorkeling as a rabbit hole are talking about diving. You know that, you’re just trying to play semantic games with it.

Snorkeling is just as thrilling as diving tho. Your sim swims around a small area and pop up’s tell you what they find. I mean at least they don’t disappear but it’s not like snorkeling is a super exciting activity that adds so many dimensions to the game. It’s like a different form of jogging, and I don’t consider that very entertaining to watch given the repetition in just one play through.

Semantic games? I didn't think beardedgeek plays them but hey, difference of view is a thing. We might both be wrong. You are aggresively trying to shove your opinion down other people's throats by throwing around your opinion as if it is some kind of ultimate truth. And you seem to be able to read thoughts.

Personally I consider snorkeling very different from jogging. I tend to scroll in until first person view and enjoy the gorgeous riff. Similar to real life. I'm not a sporty snorkeler, I do it for the vista. Which looks different depending on weather and daytime and the aquatic life that is around - Ingame and in real life.

Apparently so.

So two things:

1. If you first try to correct me then say you don't find a reasonable difference, then your correction is pointless.

2. Why play the Sims if the default-for-all-interractions is boring to you? And has been in all Sims games, 1-4?
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    edited July 2019
    I still don't get why snorkeling is wrongfully percieved as a "rabbit hole" when you have the exact same interactivity there as literally all other tasks.

I have a feeling you know everyone is talking about diving and not snorkeling. I haven't seen anyone call snorkeling a rabbit hole on these boards... Diving is one of the most disappointing "features" of Island Living.
    I still don't get why snorkeling is wrongfully percieved as a "rabbit hole" when you have the exact same interactivity there as literally all other tasks.

I have a feeling you know everyone is talking about diving and not snorkeling. I haven't seen anyone call snorkeling a rabbit hole on these boards... Diving is one of the most disappointing "features" of Island Living.

People have, indeed, called Snorkeling a rabbit hole activity. As for diving... I don't mind it.
    Also, quotation marks? Really? You hate it that much? To the point that you fail to see all the gameplay... What exactly did you expect, I wonder?
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Yeah, darn it. There is always so much critisism of a really enjoyable game - for me that is. If you don't enjoy it buy and play another game, please! Nuf said. You just ruined my day!
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    For me Sims 4 is WAY more strict than any other Sims game - it has WAY more limitations and I can't do what I want. In sims 2, where a lot of bad things could happen, I almost NEVER let anything bad happen to my sims, they were happy all the time, mostly. but the few times that they were miserable, fed into the time they weren't and made them more special and 'real. I just want that back. The incessant smiling only works for me if I actually have to work for it - it's not about real life happiness, it's a GAME. And for me, I love giving my sims happy lives, but there's no fun or meaning if there are no challenge. I wish the game could give us the OPTION to play more challenging, instead of the happy rainbows all the time. That way, people that want the psychedelic smiling can have that, and the rest of us can get real gameplay also.

Playing the Sims has always been difficult at the start of a new version of the game. When you get a routine and some experience, it will become easier to achieve what you want. I don't know what you mean with "psychedelic smiling"? Try to play with some sims with bad traits and/or at other places than you have tried until now!
    Picture: Robinson going mad without human companionship.
    4agpqYD.jpg

Picture: Vaiana scolding to a criminal person, doing illegal fishing.
    g4c0OQg.jpg

That's scripted. The game forces sims to do that once they are given the NPC tag that makes them trash the environment. It's not something that happens just because.

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    edited July 2019
    Hey everyone, let's remember what this thread is about and go back to discussing Island Living while respecting each others opinions. ;)

Apparently so.

Not sure if you are referring to me with the wrongfully perceived as a rabbit hole comment because I felt I was clear. Snorkling =swimming around the bouy Diving=rabbithole with bubbles.

You are right about the many actions are monotonous in game such as the ones you listed. However, I look at cooking as satisfying a Sim need. It is just like having my sim use the toilet or shower. It is not a real "feature" of some expansion pack. At the very least I can still choose my Sim's meal making it more interactive. Swimming is boring too and I am still waiting for some type of gameplay to be added there but it is seasonal in most neighborhoods. Karaoke I don't use but at least you can sing with other sims to make it more social and choose a song. With snorkling, I can't say hey look at the shell over there and grab it because we can't even go under the water. Sims 3 showed what diving should be...interactive. I could click and grab fish, open treasure boxes, possible run into a mermaid or shark, ran out of oxygen after a certain amount of time and had to head up, etc I was just genuinely surprised you would consider watching a sim swim around a buoy or watching dive bubbles as gameplay.
    edited July 2019
    MorriSan wrote: »

Apparently so.

Semantic games? I didn't think beardedgeek plays them but hey, difference of view is a thing. We might both be wrong. You are aggresively trying to shove your opinion down other people's throats by throwing around your opinion as if it is some kind of ultimate truth. And you seem to be able to read thoughts.

Personally I consider snorkeling very different from jogging. I tend to scroll in until first person view and enjoy the gorgeous riff. Similar to real life. I'm not a sporty snorkeler, I do it for the vista. Which looks different depending on weather and daytime and the aquatic life that is around - Ingame and in real life.

No one is taking away from the pretty. I think we all can agree Sulani is pretty but is that gameplay?? This is the thing I was trying to understand because I personally don't think it is.

I didn't think @drake_mccarty was trying to sway or shove an opinion down someone's throat. As I always say everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to it. You are entitled to watch your sim swim around the buoy and love it.
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Aine wrote: »
    For me Sims 4 is WAY more strict than any other Sims game - it has WAY more limitations and I can't do what I want. In sims 2, where a lot of bad things could happen, I almost NEVER let anything bad happen to my sims, they were happy all the time, mostly. but the few times that they were miserable, fed into the time they weren't and made them more special and 'real. I just want that back. The incessant smiling only works for me if I actually have to work for it - it's not about real life happiness, it's a GAME. And for me, I love giving my sims happy lives, but there's no fun or meaning if there are no challenge. I wish the game could give us the OPTION to play more challenging, instead of the happy rainbows all the time. That way, people that want the psychedelic smiling can have that, and the rest of us can get real gameplay also.

Playing the Sims has always been difficult at the start of a new version of the game. When you get a routine and some experience, it will become easier to achieve what you want. I don't know what you mean with "psychedelic smiling"? Try to play with some sims with bad traits and/or at other places than you have tried until now!
    Picture: Robinson going mad without human companionship.
    4agpqYD.jpg

Picture: Vaiana scolding to a criminal person, doing illegal fishing.
    g4c0OQg.jpg

That's scripted. The game forces sims to do that once they are given the NPC tag that makes them trash the environment. It's not something that happens just because.

The point, though, is that the whole "unnatural smiling" thing... just doesn't hold water. Personally I can agree that it's sometimes too easy to make them happy, but the facial expressions are always very realistic and well made.

Apparently so.

Not sure if you are referring to me with the wrongfully perceived as a rabbit hole comment because I felt I was clear. Snorkling =swimming around the bouy Diving=rabbithole with bubbles.

You are right about the many actions are monotonous in game such as the ones you listed. However, I look at cooking as satisfying a Sim need. It is just like having my sim use the toilet or shower. It is not a real "feature" of some expansion pack. At the very least I can still choose my Sim's meal making it more interactive. Swimming is boring too and I am still waiting for some type of gameplay to be added there but it is seasonal in most neighborhoods. Karaoke I don't use but at least you can sing with other sims to make it more social and choose a song. With snorkling, I can't say hey look at the shell over there and grab it because we can't even go under the water. Sims 3 showed what diving should be...interactive. I could click and grab fish, open treasure boxes, possible run into a mermaid or shark, ran out of oxygen after a certain amount of time and had to head up, etc I was just genuinely surprised you would consider watching a sim swim around a buoy or watching dive bubbles as gameplay.

It really sounds to me like you don't want to play Sims, you want to play Subnautica or something else similar. This IS the Sims gameplay. It has always BEEN the Sims gameplay. As for SIms 3 diving... that was the odd thing out in the entire game. It's like Jogging being interactive or whatever.

There is nothing different, at all, gameplay wise between the diving interaction and the weight lifting interaction or the train your dog fetch interaction. So again I am not sure why you expected that to be different.
    edited July 2019
    Yeah, darn it. There is always so much critisism of a really enjoyable game - for me that is. If you don't enjoy it buy and play another game, please! Nuf said. You just ruined my day![/quote]

Huh or you could not read the forums. I would hate to ruin your day. I put my opinions and feedback out there so the team can do better. This was not an acceptable expansion pack for me and if I could get my money back, I would.

Apparently so.

It really sounds to me like you don't want to play Sims, you want to play Subnautica or something else similar. This IS the Sims gameplay. It has always BEEN the Sims gameplay. As for SIms 3 diving... that was the odd thing out in the entire game. It's like Jogging being interactive or whatever.

There is nothing different, at all, gameplay wise between the diving interaction and the weight lifting interaction or the train your dog fetch interaction. So again I am not sure why you expected that to be different.

Having played this game since Sims 1, I respectfully disagree. This is not the Sims gameplay from previous iterations. Snorkeling in a circle and dive bubbles are not the gameplay norm. You can't dismiss Sims 3 diving as an odd thing. It was a proper feature of the pack. I wasn't playing subnautica in Sims 3, I was enjoying a proper dive lot. Sims 4 diving was listed as feature but it is definitely not a proper feature for me.

There is a difference between interactive gameplay and skill based gameplay and maybe this is where the disconnect is between you and I. Jogging, Cooking, weight lifting, etc are all skill based. I am looking for the exploration and real time interactive gameplay that was in Sims 3 dive lots. At the VERY LEAST learn a skill to get to the interactive gameplay such as hidden lots. I would have even been happier if I had to get skilled in snorkeling before I could dive and have a certain level of fitness before I could snorkel.

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited July 2019

Apparently so.

There is a difference between interactive gameplay and skill based gameplay

On the offchance of derailing this thread even more, I agree that there is a difference between doing things, in a way, and sort of watching things happen. As much as I like TS4, I still think it should move towards that interactive gameplay more whenever it has the chance to - and I think JA vs WA is a particularly good example of this. In 3 WA I actually have to push things around, stand on things, fail. It feels very interactive. In 4 JA, I kind of watch them study some things, then try pulling some stuff and tada, it works or it doesn't. But yes, that process is undeniably far less interactive. So even if I personally don't mind that diving isn't an active thing - this would've been one of those chances they definitely should have used. Just like I kind of wish that the tombs in JA were a tat more like those in WA. Simply because it was introduced in the most recent prior iteration and it makes sense for people to expect these things to come back. Just my 2 cents.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    edited July 2019
    People have, indeed, called Snorkeling a rabbit hole activity. As for diving... I don't mind it.
    Also, quotation marks? Really? You hate it that much? To the point that you fail to see all the gameplay... What exactly did you expect, I wonder?

Where is "all the gameplay"? You know what, never mind... what I expected was a layer of depth to keep me entertained for as long as Dine Out, City Living or Vampires did... Island Living does not deliver it and I'm not alone in thinking so. There is nothing NEW to do. I saw all the features in an hour.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited July 2019

Apparently so.

So two things:

1. If you first try to correct me then say you don't find a reasonable difference, then your correction is pointless.

2. Why play the Sims if the default-for-all-interractions is boring to you? And has been in all Sims games, 1-4?

What exactly is “default for all”? This is an expansion pack and it should provide a hefty amount of *NEW* gameplay, *NEW* features, and new stuff. Snorkeling is supposedly one of the new gameplay features of this pack and I said it’s about as thrilling as going for a jog. Clearly you aren’t understanding what I’m saying. Whether that’s intentional or not, I don’t really know or care.

I corrected you because you were trying to create an argument based off your own misunderstanding. I’m not trying to get into a game of semantics with you, just clearing up some misinformation you are so gleefully spreading even though you knew what they meant. Other poster thinks I can read minds, no, I can read text on this website.

I really would like you to clarify a bit on that second bullet. It sounds like you are putting words on my mouth on that and I would like more details about what you mean before I respond to it. @Beardedgeek

ETA: @keekee53 you make such an excellent point with the interactive vs skill based gameplay!! You took the words right out of my mouth.
  • WispyeWispye Posts: 141 Member
    i'm really sad about rabbit holes this far in the sims franchise shouldn't be rabbit holes :s
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    I'm enjoying this so far and I haven't even begun to think about making mermaids yet. I made a specific SIM for the island, mainly to just explore. I think my favorite thing so far is when the Sim is beachcombing for shells or trash and gets all these negative moodlets because a crab bit them or a seagull snatched the item away. That is so true to life. The jellyfish and sharks are a nice touch too. I haven't tried to kill anyone off yet. The nude sunbathing means no tan lines. I do like that the Sims look sunkissed when they tan the right way and the tan lines when my Sim forgets to change to nude are hilarious. I'm SO glad to finally have loungers that work, omgosh. I still have a lot of stuff to do before I even think about exploring the mermaid side of things. Next up is the kava party, then the careers. The "Did you know" thread has been very helpful in guiding what I'm playing.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame

Apparently so.

So two things:

What exactly is “default for all”? This is an expansion pack and it should provide a hefty amount of *NEW* gameplay, *NEW* features, and new stuff. Snorkeling is supposedly one of the new gameplay features of this pack and I said it’s about as thrilling as going for a jog. Clearly you aren’t understanding what I’m saying. Whether that’s intentional or not, I don’t really know or care.

I corrected you because you were trying to create an argument based off your own misunderstanding. I’m not trying to get into a game of semantics with you, just clearing up some misinformation you are so gleefully spreading even though you knew what they meant. Other poster thinks I can read minds, no, I can read text on this website.

I really would like you to clarify a bit on that second bullet. It sounds like you are putting words on my mouth on that and I would like more details about what you mean before I respond to it. @Beardedgeek

ETA: @keekee53 you make such an excellent point with the interactive vs skill based gameplay!! You took the words right out of my mouth.

Again, you seem to have an extremely odd expectation for the pack.
    And you obviously misunderstood me. What I mean with "like all other interactions" is that's the same TYPE of interactions. To work out you click on the workout equipment and wait for 10 minutes while the sim cycles an animation. Same with gardening. Or diving. Or cooking. Or watching tv.
    But for some reason you single out this pack?
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    shellbeme wrote: »
    I feel like there is a lot more to it than we realize so it feels like a game pack. Honestly, it feels like a stuff pack to me right now. I am really disappointed. I think part of the problem lies in the fact that we have no way of knowing currently, when events are going on. I see posts about all these events but I haven’t seen anything in my game about it.

Evil poachers and anti environmentalists? Haven’t seen anything and wouldn’t know where to look. If the idea was to get us to explore the world more, it just hasn’t translated.

This might have been a great idea if this was an open world where we could just span over places and see events and things taking place, but that’s not the case. I hope they come up with some ideas to improve it.

I've seen loads of anti-environmentalists - they have a red exclamation point over their heads. Since spreading the conservation gospel is a work-from-home task that pops up frequently, they're a good target for my conservationist Sim. She's been somewhat successful - the exclamation point was noticeably dimmed after she talked to the anti-environmentalist (but not always - probably depends on the NPC's traits). I should note that she reached the top level in the career, so she has the bonus trait of being more persuasive.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • MetalcornMetalcorn Posts: 1 New Member
    It's a beautiful EP. But thats it. Not enough to do. Certainnly not worth the $40 they charge for it. Mermids are a huge let down. I'm very disappointed and will not rush out to buy any future EP's.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I played 30 minutes and haven't played since... nothing to do!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top