Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Builders, do you play in Live Mode?

I'm just curious how many builders play in live mode.
This is just a fun little poll that I thought would be interesting.
Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel

Builders, do you play in Live Mode? 57 votes

Live Mode? What's that? I'm a builder.
3%
overonvcosley 2 votes
I play in Live mode some but mostly build
10%
taydevphantasmkissTrashDeBluncSweetieWright_84Techbiltrinre33 6 votes
I spend equal amounts in Build Mode and Live Mode
70%
auroraael14lisamwittKelleygirlBloosmooMeteoraStormAuroraBoreallisWyrrenLustianiciaduhboy2u2stephanie132392DragonAge_300905AnnLee87WaytoomanyUIDsadduapinaQueenMercyMasonGamerjooxisScobreSummerjaseMDianaSims 40 votes
Other (specify)
15%
LaBlue0314Writin_RegSindocatOldeseadoggeStormsviewTopNotchToddlerwhimreaperSharoniaRouensims 9 votes

Comments

• Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    As of right now, I spend more time building.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Other (specify)
    When I am building, I always do live play, so I can make sure there are no routing issues.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    When I am building, I always do live play, so I can make sure there are no routing issues.

Yeah, I do that too. Do you actually play in live mode aside from play testing?
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Other (specify)
    Build mode enough to prepare the resedential & community lots I want for a given game and then play using what I've built. Play serves two purposes: making sure what I built works as intended and then getting on to the game and story.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Other (specify)
    I don't build. :D
  • Options
    Sharonia wrote: »

Thankfully there are tons of great builds in the Gallery, huh?
  • Options
    whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    Other (specify)
    Overall, I spend way more time building than playing, but there are long periods where I feel more inspired to play than build. Especially with a new YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UComHveycR2LNwv_YaaJ-5Rw), I find myself spending about equal time in both modes recently and feel more inspired to both play and to build.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I spend most of my game time building, but I want to play, so I try it now and then. Live mode doesn't hold my attention the way it did in Sims 3. I tend to get into a groove, things get too easy/predictable, and I go build again.

To be fair though, Sims 4 build mode is amazing and I love it.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Other (specify)

Oh yes. I don't know how I would cope if I had to play with the premade maxis builds. :D
  • Options
    To be fair though, Sims 4 build mode is amazing and I love it.

I agree 100%, and it's easy to use. I never really mastered building in TS3 (not that I have in TS4 but I do alright) :D .

• Options

Oh yes. I don't know how I would cope if I had to play with the premade maxis builds. :D

LOL, some of them aren't too bad but they do get stale after the millionth time playing in them.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited July 2019
    In my opinion, what's the fun of building if you don't even take the time to enjoy your own creations in gameplay mode? :smile:

Honestly, whenever I build something really amazing, I cannot wait until I get the chance to see my Sims use the house/venue!
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    In my opinion, what's the fun of building if you don't even take the time to enjoy your own creations in gameplay mode? :smile:

Honestly, whenever I build something really amazing, I cannot wait until I get the chance to see my Sims use the house/venue!

I sort of feel the same way. Everything I build, I build with the intent to play in. The only problem with me is, when I get inspired, I'll build until I hit a creative wall, it's the same for playing as well though. Usually if I get stuck with one, I'll do the other. If I get stuck in both, I'll create sims, which admittedly, I'm not too good at. :D
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member

I sort of feel the same way. Everything I build, I build with the intent to play in. The only problem with me is, when I get inspired, I'll build until I hit a creative wall, it's the same for playing as well though. Usually if I get stuck with one, I'll do the other. If I get stuck in both, I'll create sims, which admittedly, I'm not too good at. :D

That's exactly how I am as well. I always build with the intention to ultimately play with the lots that I create... there has never been a time when I never actually used a lot I created at least once. I'm also the kind of person who will have inspiration to build... but will eventually become "built out" for awhile and won't have any creative ideas... but then I'll get back in the creative mood again awhile later.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    I agree. Although for me, I seem to get more "simmed" out than "built out." I find myself looking at houses in real life, or when my husband or kids are playing other games, and I think "I can build that in Sims!" They kind of get a bit annoyed when I tell them to stop so I can see the building behind them :D . They get it though. I find inspiration in the most unexpected places.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Other (specify)
    I am almost entirely in Live Mode. When I do build, it is a.) practice, to learn the toolkit or - more often - b.) building to meet my own Sims' needs.

A typical examble of "b." is needing to build an extension onto a too-small home to accommodate a growing family. The "a." part comes in handy in doing so gracefully, and keeping it in the same style as the house I am building onto.

Less commonly, I'll build an entirely new home or venue, but I am still finding my way. I have one house of my own that I am using. None of my venue attempts have yet to escape the bulldozer or quit without saving.
  • Options
    adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    I build mostly for my sims, though sometimes I get the extra idea for a build that I just need to do even though I'm not in need for it in the game. But it's somewhere like 65-45 for live mode.
    origin ID: adduapina
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I love both and I also love to have my town look well fitted to my sims and their stories.
    As for now I am 100% focused on building and re-doing all my towns. It got so outdated and this time I really want to hold a theme per sub-hood and a logic infrastructure. But this is a LOT of work, so I work in projects/parts.

I stopped playing with one of my rotational household that lives in Willow Creek that is going to be a big happy family.
    So I decided to start a project along their story line about which type of buildings I would build. In that way I can play and also build at the same time, cause it all completes eachother.
  • Options
    @Sindocat, I feel your pain with the community lots. I struggled hard with Sulani. The architecture in that world is simplistic but I was making it complicated.

@FurSimsOfficial, I'm sort of doing something similar to you. I rebuilt nearly every lot in game--just finished Sulani last night. The only one I haven't finished is the museum in Selvadorada. I've made all new sims, except for in Sulani, that's my plans for the next few days. It has been a year long process (mainly because I keep redoing everything).
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Other (specify)
    @SweetieWright_84 - I am learning, and I'll get there. :) My triumph so far was puzzling out how to do the trick pierced veranda roof on Sandtrap Flat. Mostly, I just need practice. But I'll likely get it building what my Sims need.
  • Options
    Sindocat wrote: »
    @SweetieWright_84 - I am learning, and I'll get there. :) My triumph so far was puzzling out how to do the trick pierced veranda roof on Sandtrap Flat. Mostly, I just need practice. But I'll likely get it building what my Sims need.

Don't you just love it when it all finally works?
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Other (specify)
    Honestly I don't build much in Sims 4 as my building and such was more to do with maps and new created worlds. So Sims 4 does not offer that kind of building at all. All I do in 4 as far as building goes is my own houses and lots - mostly starter stuff - for rags to riches play that i rarely even share - as it is not really share worthy. Map building is more my thing.... so i just play the game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    @Writin_Reg, I assume you mean CAW tool in TS3? I never got the hang of that. I tried but I couldn't do much. Plus, it froze a lot.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    just wondering, at what point is one considered "a builder"?
    I love building for my sims, the fact that they get to use it makes the building more rewarding for me.
    But also the venues I got reflect the type of sims I play, for example I only got 2 gyms in whole cause I hardly ever play athletic sims.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    @RavenSpit, I consider a builder to be anyone who builds anything in-game. If they find enjoyment in it, then they're a builder to me.

I was curious because a lot of youtubers I watch seem to say they never play the game other than to build, and I wondered if that was a common thing. It's really just a fun poll.