Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fishing problem

In order to fulfill the 'fish in 3 different spots" I took my sim to Willow creek . When my sim fished in different spots on the Island it didn't count for her aspiration. Also catching fish in the fish basket didn't count either .
I was wondering if this was an oversight or a bug.
Any one else unable to complete the fishing aspiration on Sulani alone ?
Laugh out loud. Often

Comments

• Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i can sort of see why the traps don't count, though it is annoying. but a friend and i have both noticed that using the signs in sulani indeed don't count for the aspiration (i had cheated that step up after making sure the sim did, indeed, fish in three different places on the islands. similar to how i'd cheated the 'get a tan' part of the beach bum aspiration on my mermaids, vampires, ghosts and aliens i'd wanted to have it, since they all have 'unnatural skin' and can't tan at all)
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    @kalaksed thank you for responding , I'm glad it isn't just me and I suppose it's an oversight. I wasn't surprised that the fish basket didn't count but also dissapointed at the same time.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    It's a known issue, posted on AHQ here. The more people who chime in the better :)

I know I can easily go anywhere else to finish that part of the aspiration, but so far my fishermen/women are islanders, they don't leave the island. It feels "immersion" breaking for them to do so, and just doesn't feel right to me.
  • Options
    simstr0ngsimstr0ng Posts: 679 Member
    I'm surprised there are not more fishing spots in Sulani. I wish I could put one where I want it. What does the fish basket do?
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    the fishing basket lets you catch quite a lot of fish over time, though if you take too long, they break free and you have to reset it. so, in a way, they're 'fish anywhere you want' like you were asking

there seem to be 3 'locations' that can net different fish, shallow water, 'medium' water and deep water. set the trap, wait about 24 hours and check it, see what the message says. if message is 'caught some fish', you can let it wait longer. if it says 'full to the brim', you want to 'empty trap' (yeah, that seems like you're setting them free, but it dumps them all into your sim's inventory) and get a whole bunch of fish and some other items (sometimes treasures, sometimes repair parts, sometimes island fruits)

you can place the traps anywhere in the water you want and, depending the fishing level, can actively be using (read 'waiting for them to catch something) up to...i think 6 traps at a time
  • Options
    @kalaksed I tried placing the trap in water and it would not stay there. I will try again. Thanks for your tips.
  • Options
    @Kathykins thank you for the link, I hit the me too button.
    And you're right it takes something away from the island immersion when you need to go to a different world to complete a task that seems to have been made for the Island of Sulani. I'm glad it wasn't winter.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    @kalaksed I figured out why placing my trap was not working - I had to place it on my lot. Duh. Waiting for fish and stuff. Thanks for the tips.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    Yes, the 'Fish for an hour' whim is no longer fulfilling too.
  • Options
    @simstr0ng My sim has her fish basket near one of the fishing spots and catch fish there regularly. My sim does not live on the water front. Sometimes I catch nothing for a long time , maybe a sim week. Other times it will be full days in a row.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    @loubyloulou I noticed that too . But the fish for 10 hours did count. :o
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    @simstr0ng I've not had any of my traps on my own lot the past week. My current family lives on the Admiral's Wreckage lot, the traps are all in the water near the fishing post there. I had some trouble placing the traps, don't know why, but the sim eventually succeded in placing the 4 traps I had.

@Frn0731 I've noticed if I forget to empty the traps for lets say 2 days, the fish will "escape" and I have to bait the traps again. Usually, when I empty/bait them every day, they are chock full of fish, treasure/trash.
  • Options
    @Kathykins - I'm waiting for my traps to fill.