Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims helping with real life issues

SquashySquashy Posts: 30 Member
edited June 2019 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
I have played the Sims from the beginning and was playing Sims 3 then 4 when I got my labradoodle puppy Elvis . He was always with me when I played he was usually sleeping on my lap and so when there were huge thunder storms or fireworks in the game he became used to those sounds . He is ...because of the Sims... totally calm and not bothered , he is now 5 . He was out last night for his evening walk and there were very loud fireworks going off and he carried on not in the least bit bothered and again with the very loud thunder and lightning we had later on . I just wanted to thank the Sims developers for giving us a way to keep our pets calm and I wish I could share this with more people so more pets can benefit . :smiley:

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited June 2019
    @Squashy I love this. True! My first dog (before the Sims) was so frightened of noises that she tried to break loose and once got into an empty stairway and cowered and tried to bite me when I wanted to put her on her lead again. (luckily someone came out and helped me calm her down).

My second (post Sims) happily went round the local block for his usual last walk of the day every year around Guy Fawkes night and found the fireworks quite interesting! These were the City fireworks display spectaculars too. :)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2019
    My game playing kept my kitties calm to noises too. They did not know the difference most of the time unless nature got real ugly - but they never ran and hid. They would look at me when nature roared and I'd tell them it was okay and they'd just snuggle in on my bed or theirs. I taught my kitties to not go near our pcs so they were generally on my bed or in one of theirs when I played games. Now and then one would snuggle on my lap while I played.

The only thing my game playing never helped my pets with was earthquakes. We do not get a lot of them in Maine - but when you do - even small ones give the house a really hard shake and sounds awful as many homes here sit on Granite mountain sides among the many heavy forests we have. So it is very noticeable - and games cannot re-create that for sure.

I feel bad for the west coast and all their shaking. Never understand how they 'd get used to that and they have huge ones compared to Maine.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    My game playing kept my kitties calm to noises too. They did not know the difference most of the time unless nature got real ugly - but they never ran and hid. They would look at me when nature roared and I'd tell them it was okay and they'd just snuggle in on my bed or theirs. I taught my kitties to not go near our pcs so they were generally on my bed or in one of theirs when I played games. Now and then one would snuggle on my lap while I played.

The only thing my game playing never helped my pets with was earthquakes. We do not get a lot of them in Maine - but when you do - even small ones give the house a really hard shake and sounds awful as many homes here sit on Granite mountain sides among the many heavy forests we have. So it is very noticeable - and games cannot re-create that for sure.

I feel bad for the west coast and all their shaking. Never understand how they 'd get used to that and they have huge ones compared to Maine.

I lived on the west coast for 8 years and never felt a single Earthquake. 6 of those were in California too!
    funny-gifs20.gif

We have a new use for Sims games. Real life pet training skill!

I don't think any of my dogs have ever tried to drink from their own puddles though, eat poop - yes! (weak lemon spray on the poop works) practical tip! :)
  • LexalooLexaloo Posts: 20 Member
    My animals would just continue to be alarmed by my games and tv's door bells, and always chased the sounds no matter what. Ha!

The sims helped me growing up to better understand English. A part from reading, I would read game option words I really didn't know, click them and then understand better what the words meant. I was considered a college level reader in middle school, mostly, because of the sims. I started playing when I was 4 or 5. Born 1995, played the year it came out, 2000. So 20 year anniversary is coming up!

I believe that learning from action helps understanding better. If I would just read a word, I might not understand it just from context, since there is also more than one way of using a word. But like in the sims, if I would select something like "Woo" that would be a flirt, and I might not know what that meant at a young age. Helped a lot.
    Lexaloo wrote: »
    My animals would just continue to be alarmed by my games and tv's door bells, and always chased the sounds no matter what. Ha!

The sims helped me growing up to better understand English. A part from reading, I would read game option words I really didn't know, click them and then understand better what the words meant. I was considered a college level reader in middle school, mostly, because of the sims. I started playing when I was 4 or 5. Born 1995, played the year it came out, 2000. So 20 year anniversary is coming up!

I believe that learning from action helps understanding better. If I would just read a word, I might not understand it just from context, since there is also more than one way of using a word. But like in the sims, if I would select something like "Woo" that would be a flirt, and I might not know what that meant at a young age. Helped a lot.

I wouldn't know you didn't have English as your major tongue except that you don't take any liberties with it as native speakers might do. That's a compliment BTW (written abbreviation for by the way: used, for example in emails, when you are writing something that relates to the subject you are discussing, but is not the main point of the discussion) :) :
  • sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    Lexaloo wrote: »

There's an expression in English that relates to what you said that you might like:
    'I heard and forgot, I saw and remembered, I did and understood.'

:)