Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What was the point in adding mermaids or scuba diving if....

YOU CAN’T EVEN GO UNDERWATER? Sorry but I was really looking forward to island living, but this pack has been so gamepack esque they might as well change it to one.

I was hoping for at least little tiny lots underwater where we could interact with fish, dolphins, sharks, and even own them as homes if we are a mermaid. But nope, real let down.

Sorry for my rant but this was to express my disappointment and hope that EA will step their game up (literally) for the next expansions because some of the game packs are far better than most expansions aside from seasons. Jungle adventure is more expansion worthy than island living is, and I loved island paradise and mermaids in the sims 3.

Sorry, but I feel if nobody says something then we will be stuck with overpriced packs with less and less content...
t0j4i8.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Yeah, I thought that we'd be able to swim underwater as well. Oh well. Maybe they will add the option later with an update or GP or something.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, I thought that we'd be able to swim underwater as well. Oh well. Maybe they will add the option later with an update or GP or something.

You never know. This is the last (possibly) of the 32bit compliant packs before the Legacy Edition so it might be possible when the game goes fully 64bit. They are still working on how they can manage to get swimming included on most of the rivers and beaches in the other worlds. It might be possible to deepen the water level then. That "engine" of theirs seems to have more possibilities as they experiment with it.

We were told by player "experts" that it wouldn't be possible to add water and swimming in the sea before Island Life so I still have hope. :)

Just realised too many possibles! Any synonyms? B)
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • Options
    subhumandepthssubhumandepths Posts: 4 New Member
    This is their worst one yet lmao
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

You never know. This is the last (possibly) of the 32bit compliant packs before the Legacy Edition so it might be possible when the game goes fully 64bit. They are still working on how they can manage to get swimming included on most of the rivers and beaches in the other worlds. It might be possible to deepen the water level then. That "engine" of theirs seems to have more possibilities as they experiment with it.

We were told by player "experts" that it wouldn't be possible to add water and swimming in the sea before Island Life so I still have hope. :)

This pack was never intended on being playable by the 32bit crowd and look where that got everyone. Be realistic; dropping 32bit isn’t going to change anything about this game, at least not significantly. They are still going to be developing this game for low end systems, just not the reaaaallly old ones which run 32bit.

On the engine - this studio developed this engine in-house, themselves. If anyone should know what it is or is not capable of it is this studio. 5 years later, not knowing what your own creation can do is nothing less of incompetence. I’m sure they don’t like players throwing that excuse around for them, it makes them look bad.

Also no one said swimming water is impossible. They said it would need a new terrain and that it wouldn’t extend to existing worlds. Both of those statements still hold after the release of the expansion, so please stop gaslighting with lies.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member

I agree with you! I keep saying I'm holding onto hope. :D
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Would be greit if we would get some underwater furnitures and pool room like underwater rooms/houses.
    Everything is just lacking. I was wating island themed pack for so long. Getting my hopes up when gurus have talked things they want to improve and add on sims 4. I believed them. And here i am, getting so dissapointed whit lack of features and half made content. This game does not feel anywhere near complete, even after 5 years of its release and i'm invested it over 620e, still empty. Yeye i know how sims works and want to just point out that i have beeing playing since the sims, buying every pack possible but even if i didnt like all the packs content , i never felt it was waiste of money. And bought simcitys, sims 2 for ps2, other sims 'sidegames' because i loved simulation games. but never felt this disapointed.
    I mean yeah i could just not buy sims games and get over it and not rant it on this forum. But really after all these years and overall investment i wanted just say it.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Gecko420 wrote: »
    YOU CAN’T EVEN GO UNDERWATER? Sorry but I was really looking forward to island living, but this pack has been so gamepack esque they might as well change it to one.

I was hoping for at least little tiny lots underwater where we could interact with fish, dolphins, sharks, and even own them as homes if we are a mermaid. But nope, real let down.

Sorry for my rant but this was to express my disappointment and hope that EA will step their game up (literally) for the next expansions because some of the game packs are far better than most expansions aside from seasons. Jungle adventure is more expansion worthy than island living is, and I loved island paradise and mermaids in the sims 3.

Sorry, but I feel if nobody says something then we will be stuck with overpriced packs with less and less content...

Just for the record there is no scuba diving in IL - that is snorkeling not scuba diving. BIG difference - speaking from the prospective of a person who was a big scuba diver for many years. Snorkeling does not allow for deep diving. It's for shallow water basically for the user to look under water - period, which IL has shallow waters so snorkeling was a good choice here.

Deep diving and treasure hunting require scuba gear - which was good for IP as that is what it offered but not good for IL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Just for the record there is no scuba diving in IL - that is snorkeling not scuba diving. BIG difference - speaking from the prospective of a person who was a big scuba diver for many years. Snorkeling does not allow for deep diving. It's for shallow water basically for the user to look under water - period, which IL has shallow waters so snorkeling was a good choice here.

Deep diving and treasure hunting require scuba gear - which was good for IP as that is what it offered but not good for IL.

You can deep dive, scuba dive and tresure hunt in IL whit a scuba gear when u go to deeper water in sims 4. But its rabbidhole and if u snorgler ( dont allow deep dive or scuba gear) in shallow water and u can see sim dive underwater and sim swimming there but cant look underwater. So there are same choises as whit IP and IL but only that sims 4 its rabbithole even tho scuba diving is same.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2019
    This pack is up there with City Living as one of the worst expansions they have ever put out. Both of them are basically featureless, and center around “living” amongst the aesthetic backdrop.

City Living is the worst because of apartments, but this one is just bad because it doesn’t add expansion level content at all. They should have kept this as a game pack and saved themselves the justified criticism they’re seeing against it.

I agree on this especially CL which I do not play at all and I was very disappointed that I could not build apts in any of the other neighborhoods and also not from scratch in the EP Neighborhood and like you said IL is an little, just a little better but the creativity in SIms 4 is just lessened to much for me to think about it fondly as some other people do, It is more of an bad taste for me.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

This pack was never intended on being playable by the 32bit crowd and look where that got everyone. Be realistic; dropping 32bit isn’t going to change anything about this game, at least not significantly. They are still going to be developing this game for low end systems, just not the reaaaallly old ones which run 32bit.

On the engine - this studio developed this engine in-house, themselves. If anyone should know what it is or is not capable of it is this studio. 5 years later, not knowing what your own creation can do is nothing less of incompetence. I’m sure they don’t like players throwing that excuse around for them, it makes them look bad.

Also no one said swimming water is impossible. They said it would need a new terrain and that it wouldn’t extend to existing worlds. Both of those statements still hold after the release of the expansion, so please stop gaslighting with lies.

You are on an roll and again I agree with your post and that is what I am thinking as in regards to changing to 64 bit, that was done being MS and Apple have stopped support for 32 bit OSs. There may be still road blocks for EA/Maxis to utilize 64 bit to potential and it may involve the engine running the game as it has it own limitations.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I am playing now and it is prank day in my game.
    So I saw the option for my sim to imitate a mermaid.

What does he do?
    One of the base game joke socials and animation.
    Really? Mermaids don't sound like chickens.

Why not just use that goofy mermaid squawk?
    That would have been funny. Please patch that, EA.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yep, the worst "EP" (if we can call it like that) ever made in this Franchise. Shame on you!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    cypgraduateof09cypgraduateof09 Posts: 6 New Member
    This game rips my soul like a horcrux with every piece of content they come out with. I just wish they would end it instead of wasting our time with 🐸🐸🐸🐸 reasons of why they can't add things to the game.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2019

There is a scuba diving rabbit hole in the game. It's possible that you haven't seen it yet because it is located at a buoy in the deeper, opaque water. I've seen vids of it and the Sim uses a full head scuba mask, rather than the face mask and snorkel. It looks kind of odd, to be honest -- as if the Sim is going into space instead of going for a dive.

https://guides.gamepressure.com/thesims4/gfx/word/349435203.jpg
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    True dat
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    It was originally a game pack, but was change at the last second as expansion pack. Hopefully somebody can cite me on this.

Speaking doesn't really do much unless you start voting with your wallets.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

There is scuba diving like Cynna says. Plus there’s mermaids and they are said to do a lot more than snorkling. It doesn’t make sense at all they can only swim on the surface.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Sounds like a lesser talented studio's version of ts3's Island Paradise.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I don't have this pack yet and thank all of you for the feedback. I'll wait until it's at least 50% off. I have heard too many negative reviews and am often disappointed anyways by expansion packs anyways.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    the lazy. periodt
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »

Same people made Sims 3 that work on Sims 4, many of which also made most of Sims 2. Grant worked on all 3, as did Lyndsay, Daniel, Jill, Houts, etc, etc

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2019

Same people made Sims 3 that work on Sims 4, many of which also made most of Sims 2. Grant worked on all 3, as did Lyndsay, Daniel, Jill, Houts, etc, etc

No, being able to make an object is not the same as understanding a focus and direction of a game. Making up a back story isn't the same as being able to understand a focus and a direction or the point of a series. Not all of them have the mulitiple experience you seem to be implying. Grant joined TS2 with OFB, he worked on the OFB EP. Lyndsay (I think but could be wrong) worked on back stories of Sims and maybe a few objects etc. And marketing. Daniel wasn't part of TS3 that I remember (could be wrong) but worked on The Sims Medieval. Jill came from mobile Housts built worlds for Sim City or I may have him mixed up with someone else.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited July 2019

This is such a flawed and useless argument. No - it is not the same people building these games. That’s a fallacy. There’s a handful of MANAGERS who have worked on previous games, but let’s not sit here and act like they have any direct contribution to the programming, or content creation of this game. They manage teams and make sure they don’t go over budget. The teams making the game are for sure different, we have a bunch of VFX people now and never enough developers to do anything else.

Daniel, btw, quit this studio. Houts, I don’t believe worked on Sims 3 at all. We lost most of the people who stayed from past games within a year of Sims 4 launching, but you probably don’t want to ruin your argument by remembering that.