Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking Forward To the End Of TS4

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited July 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    I didn't watch the discussion on line but this is from their prepared remarks pdf. It doesn't mention 7 years there.

https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2020/q1/Q1-FY20-Prepared-Remarks.pdf

CEO: " Our Sims 4 live service also continues to be a rich and rewarding experience for our players,
    and a strong platform for growth. The Sims 4 continues to be one of the great owned IP
    success stories of our portfolio, and we’re planning for FY20 to be our biggest year yet of new
    content. Knowing that, we gave more fans a chance to get into the game through a one-week
    promotion in May to download the base game for free. Almost 7 million players downloaded the
    game during that time. In addition to the base game promotion, total expansion and game pack
    downloads also increased 55% year-over-year in Q1. We launched our seventh expansion
    pack – Island Living – in late June, and it has already become one of our best-selling packs for
    The Sims 4. We are fortunate to have an incredibly vibrant and creative Sims community on
    console, PC and mobile, and we are continuing to double down on this amazing franchise to
    reach new players and open up exciting new dimensions of The Sims this year. ..........."

Financial: "We continue to expect The Sims 4 and Apex Legends to each deliver net bookings in the
    $300 million to $400 million range".

I'm tending to look on this game like the way one used to buy a weekly comic. They can go on for years and years and probably cost the same per year! It doesn't need to end unless the engine gives up. :D

All this proves to me is they have discovered Free to Play actually works for unsuspecting new players. Download base for free, get them hooked with the word "Free" then they need new packs to make the game fun. Isn't that the Free to Play model in a sense? And players of today like that sort of model don't they? They like mobile games where they get something for free then have to pay more and more to actually enjoy or continue a game. But Simmers don't. So, I hope all these new players enjoy having to buy recolors over and over, because as a long time player I don't, and I won't do it. I won't be hoodwinked. It's true they are going to need more new players as long time players start to complain and quit over such shanagans. It was very smart of them to give away a free base, to be able to sell an new pack that was bascially a cheap knock of a GP sold at EP prices, why wouldn't a new player who didn't know that go ahead and buy a new pack as soon as they got a free basegame? It shows they don't really care about quality or reputation with long time players or even those who started with TS4 but chasing those who have never played and don't realize this is a Free to Play model they are using.

ETA: And the key word here is they have/ are fortunate to have a creative Simming Community. He go that right, because with out the big mods to save this game it would have been over a long time ago.

:) It's all funny to me because I remember saying they should give the base game away for free when it first came out because there wasn't much to it in the beginning.

I really should have waited for this game to be finished and then buy it up, but I do enjoy adding to a Sims series as it grows. This time it is different with the Sims 4. I hardly play the way I normally do. I would play my families fully in the past series. I might not play several generations as I did it, but at least one or two. In the Sims 4 I am just sampling expansion packs as I wait for University. I still have the same sims from the beginning.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2019
    CK213 wrote: »
    I didn't watch the discussion on line but this is from their prepared remarks pdf. It doesn't mention 7 years there.

https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2020/q1/Q1-FY20-Prepared-Remarks.pdf

CEO: " Our Sims 4 live service also continues to be a rich and rewarding experience for our players,
    and a strong platform for growth. The Sims 4 continues to be one of the great owned IP
    success stories of our portfolio, and we’re planning for FY20 to be our biggest year yet of new
    content. Knowing that, we gave more fans a chance to get into the game through a one-week
    promotion in May to download the base game for free. Almost 7 million players downloaded the
    game during that time. In addition to the base game promotion, total expansion and game pack
    downloads also increased 55% year-over-year in Q1. We launched our seventh expansion
    pack – Island Living – in late June, and it has already become one of our best-selling packs for
    The Sims 4. We are fortunate to have an incredibly vibrant and creative Sims community on
    console, PC and mobile, and we are continuing to double down on this amazing franchise to
    reach new players and open up exciting new dimensions of The Sims this year. ..........."

Financial: "We continue to expect The Sims 4 and Apex Legends to each deliver net bookings in the

I'm tending to look on this game like the way one used to buy a weekly comic. They can go on for years and years and probably cost the same per year! It doesn't need to end unless the engine gives up. :D

All this proves to me is they have discovered Free to Play actually works for unsuspecting new players. Download base for free, get them hooked with the word "Free" then they need new packs to make the game fun. Isn't that the Free to Play model in a sense? And players of today like that sort of model don't they? They like mobile games where they get something for free then have to pay more and more to actually enjoy or continue a game. But Simmers don't. So, I hope all these new players enjoy having to buy recolors over and over, because as a long time player I don't, and I won't do it. I won't be hoodwinked. It's true they are going to need more new players as long time players start to complain and quit over such shanagans. It was very smart of them to give away a free base, to be able to sell an new pack that was bascially a cheap knock of a GP sold at EP prices, why wouldn't a new player who didn't know that go ahead and buy a new pack as soon as they got a free basegame? It shows they don't really care about quality or reputation with long time players or even those who started with TS4 but chasing those who have never played and don't realize this is a Free to Play model they are using.

ETA: And the key word here is they have/ are fortunate to have a creative Simming Community. He go that right, because with out the big mods to save this game it would have been over a long time ago.

:) It's all funny to me because I remember saying they should give the base game away for free when it first came out because there wasn't much to it in the beginning.

I really should have waited for this game to be finished and then buy it up, but I do enjoy adding to a Sims series as it grows. This time it is different with the Sims 4. I hardly play the way I normally do. I would play my families fully in the past series. I might not play several generations as I did it, but at least one or two. In the Sims 4 I am just sampling expansion packs as I wait for University. I still have the same sims from the beginning.

We all should have waited. Who knew that $80 purchase for some, would be a free throw away a few years down the road just to get a new player who isn't going to complain about missing toddlers, pools, locked doors etc. Typical basegame stuff like locking a door. Just for it to be handed out like candy to get a new player who doesn't care Maxis has started taking a mesh from a pack and putting in the base for free, never mind those who paid for the pack are out of that money since it's now a basegame free item installed in patches. Over and over. Just so they can ignore long time players of the series and chase after new players who aren't going to say oh, that pitball thing is horrible, they will never notice since they don't know it shouldn't be that way. They won't know with their free basegame that costs some $60-$80, all existing packs are broken in some way, with each and every patch. They won't be complaining because heck how would they know Caleb is not a biting vampire and is bugged out. See, all this smells of EA and Mr. Wilson depending on modders to fix their subpar game. While EA chases after teens who wouldn't know the difference in a trait or an emotion since they won't know the whole system reeks.

ETA: and as far as your point of waiting on Uni, yeah, I hope you get it. And still having families you have on hold, yes, I had a family and I begged them to add Military career because that is who they are in my head. It never came, until they decided to stick it in a linear pack I was never going to buy. I can't pay full price for a GP or EP just to get one thing. Unlike players who will who just want some clothes, I'm not built that way. I won't but it at all. New players won't care since they didn't know how long someone waited on something, just to see it stuck in a pack that person was never going to be interested in or like or buy.

I'm starting to feel sorry for TS4 players because they are being thrown under the bus, too, all in search of seven million+ new players who won't even know how long they have been requesting or waiting on a bug fix and or something they really want.

ETA: And from the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. Notice what Wilson said. He mentions console first, that shows that is where the increases were, and where his heart is concerning this game. He mentioned it first since it's what's on his mind first or he would have said PC first. And we all know console games have more questing, linear play type mechanics. It makes one wonder if we can expect more of that.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    The Sims 4 will not be continuing for another 7 to 10 years. Andrew Wilson was talking about the Anthem IP when he mentioned that. Going by that logic, The Sims 4 is currently almost 5 years into its cycle, which would line up with what Grant said last year about it going for another 3 years, which adds up to a total of 7 years in alignment with what Andrew said.

It looks like it'll go for another 2 years, in short.
    IP.png

Anthem is a freshly baked, super HOT MESS. Rip.

It really is.

7-10 years more wont save that flop.
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    We seem to be upgraded to Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics this quarter. Probably helped by that freebie though?

https://news.ea.com/press-release/company-news/electronic-arts-reports-q1-fy20-financial-results

During the quarter, The Sims 4TM expansion packs and game pack downloads increased 55% year-over-year

I cannot see Sims 4 ending soon.

Probably because this included the free base game download. Duh. I dl'ed it too, hoping it was better than years ago. It wasn't, so I quickly uninstalled it. But you do you, EA.
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    They said The Sims 4 brought in 7 million new players when it went free.....

This is twisting the stats. Maybe 7 million downloads. But how many of those -- raises hand -- saw how awful it still was and uninstalled it the same day?

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited July 2019

I'm curious about this statement: "The Sims 4 continues to be one of the great owned IP success stories of our portfolio, and we’re planning for FY20 to be our biggest year yet of new content."

There doesn't really seem to be an uptick in planned content for the PC game, though they could surprise us still. Is the Sims mobile considered part of the Sims 4 iteration?

Edit: I am impressed, btw, that they got 7 million downloads. Was it free on console as well? But if even 1/7th of the people who downloaded bought an EP/SP/GP, they'd see some growth there. And given that they were having a fairly substantial sale of packs at the same time, I'd be surprised if they didn't.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    They said The Sims 4 brought in 7 million new players when it went free.....

This is twisting the stats. Maybe 7 million downloads. But how many of those -- raises hand -- saw how awful it still was and uninstalled it the same day?

And how many did not do that at all? But the 7 million indicate active accounts. Also EA is a public company - keep that in mind - they have nothing to gain twisting stats - big penalties for that kind of thing. They have much bigger games than Sims 4 - keep that in mind....
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sucom wrote: »

As I see it, perhaps Sims 4 HAS been downloaded by 7 million players but where is the information relating to the happiness and satisfaction of those 7 million players? I'm 1 of those 7 million and I'm definitely NOT happy with the game, despite many aspects of it being better than before. There is too much lost as far as I'm concerned. It plays more like a video than a game.

Maybe Island Living has been downloaded many, many times but again, how many of those players are actually 100% satisfied with it? How many are only 50% satisfied with it? Where are 'those' figures?

Financial: 300 to 400 million? That's great - it's making people rich. But is it right to earn a lot of money off other people's discontent?

It's true that Sims 4 'should be' the best game so far. Many aspects of the game are very good.... Except that it lacks around 80% of gameplay. It's all show, like a video, like a film or a movie. Where is the content? It is 'supposed' to be a game, after all!

You think they care? You think they are even aware if we are discontent or not? If people are buying, then it doesn't seem like we are discontent at all. This takes us to the fact that a lot of players haven't realised that for EA money speaks volumes and they'll continue to give us half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 made content as long as we pay for it.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    The Sims 4 will not be continuing for another 7 to 10 years. Andrew Wilson was talking about the Anthem IP when he mentioned that. Going by that logic, The Sims 4 is currently almost 5 years into its cycle, which would line up with what Grant said last year about it going for another 3 years, which adds up to a total of 7 years in alignment with what Andrew said.

IP.png

Anthem is dead lol Who's even playing it?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2019

IP.png

It really is.

7-10 years more wont save that flop.

Definantly won't they probably figure if D3 was an hot mess when it launched and it rose up through improvements so can Anthem (off topic).
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited July 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

IP.png

Anthem is dead lol Who's even playing it?

What so sad about Anthem, this is off topic and I am sorry Anthem would have to be torn down and rethought from the beginning. I read about Anthem when it was just thought of and it looked so promising that I was impressed but did not buy it when it came out. I got to play the full version free being an member of EA Access and was glad about that.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    EA has a long history of totally wiping out a game and Studio that is not doing what it says it is doing. Even selling 2 million copies did not save Sim City 13 - they ended and eradicated the studio that made it in no time at all. That is how EA rolls.

If EA says the Sims 4 is doing what they said it is doing and what's more is ecstatic over it - you can bet your boots - no matter how much you don't like it - it is doing what they said it was doing. They'd have dropped it like a hot potato well before now instead of fleshing it with praise. So regardless of what any one thinks or wants - the proof is in the pudding and the game is going to continue to do it's thing as long as it continues to make that big profit - no question about it.

Technically if it was not for these forums and people from these forums - I personally would think everyone loves this game as much as all the other Sims games if not more even - as all the dislike doesn't exist elsewhere like it exists here. Sure - now and then on other forums but generally when I see distain the person posting is from this forum 8 times out of 10. I don't see much of this at all on other Sims official forums in other countries - at least not like I see here.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    izecson wrote: »
    - up to 7-10 more years - oh yeah!!!....

That is really bad news if the sims 4 goes over 10 years and still maintain the current quality of packs

Hopefully they will improve for people not happy with them as they are apparently far from done yet and selling better than ever. The new quarter was just listed to day selling 55 percent higher than previously.

EA is rather joyous over it all. A bunch of EA's triple AAA games getting extended - apparently done like this is the future of games from what I am seeing... and what is being said. Very definitely not just EA either. Other big publishers as well.
    I’m not surprised, I predict they want to continue for at least 5 years because for them it’s big business that costs little from now on, just some marketing. I highly doubt current players will benefit from that, I genuinely think (and you can’t blame them, a game can carry just this much, you really think Sims 3 was an exception?) that nothing really new will be added to the experience. Which doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy that, I’m ready to start a brand new experience I never did in Sims 3 atm (travelling between worlds and after that farming). The difference is, that Sims 3 hasn’t cost me a penny since October 2013 (all the Store stuff they added after that I got for free ‘watching’ ads while I was active here)(ETA: and since I mentioned farming I should add that Store set was gifted to me by a friendly simmer).

Maybe I’m wrong, maybe they will be able to add really new, gameplay changing expansions after all. I can’t tell you how much I hope I’m wrong because it will mean I will benefit as well and start buying again. I want to enjoy this game, I desperately do. But it would surprise me, that’s all, I have this fear the latest developments (with beautiful yet poor where it comes to gameplay GP EP IL) are an indicator.

Overall I don’t feel this development is something players should cheer over. It’s not in our adventage.

I'm just like you, I really want to enjoy this game, but I need more gameplay for that.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Sucom wrote: »

As I see it, perhaps Sims 4 HAS been downloaded by 7 million players but where is the information relating to the happiness and satisfaction of those 7 million players? I'm 1 of those 7 million and I'm definitely NOT happy with the game, despite many aspects of it being better than before. There is too much lost as far as I'm concerned. It plays more like a video than a game.

Maybe Island Living has been downloaded many, many times but again, how many of those players are actually 100% satisfied with it? How many are only 50% satisfied with it? Where are 'those' figures?

Financial: 300 to 400 million? That's great - it's making people rich. But is it right to earn a lot of money off other people's discontent?

It's true that Sims 4 'should be' the best game so far. Many aspects of the game are very good.... Except that it lacks around 80% of gameplay. It's all show, like a video, like a film or a movie. Where is the content? It is 'supposed' to be a game, after all!

If you've only got the base game you might think that.

Sims 4 appeals to those who don't want "gameplay" thrust upon them but like dollshouses or using their own imaginations for building or stories but accept the occasional StrangerVille type addition. There's lots of sales in that.
    Take a look at some of the Gallery builds and families, Millions(45+) of them.That's what appeals. Of course not too many for the basegame now. It just appeals to a different type of Simmer who might have given up on 2 or 3.

Appeals to new players, young kids who love shiny things and social media lifestyle. Im an older fan and Im a builder type of simmer and believe me... I prefer The Sims 3 to build a 100 times more!
    edited July 2019
    CK213 wrote: »

We all should have waited. Who knew that $80 purchase for some, would be a free throw away a few years down the road just to get a new player who isn't going to complain about missing toddlers, pools, locked doors etc. Typical basegame stuff like locking a door. Just for it to be handed out like candy to get a new player who doesn't care Maxis has started taking a mesh from a pack and putting in the base for free, never mind those who paid for the pack are out of that money since it's now a basegame free item installed in patches. Over and over. Just so they can ignore long time players of the series and chase after new players who aren't going to say oh, that pitball thing is horrible, they will never notice since they don't know it shouldn't be that way. They won't know with their free basegame that costs some $60-$80, all existing packs are broken in some way, with each and every patch. They won't be complaining because heck how would they know Caleb is not a biting vampire and is bugged out. See, all this smells of EA and Mr. Wilson depending on modders to fix their subpar game. While EA chases after teens who wouldn't know the difference in a trait or an emotion since they won't know the whole system reeks.

ETA: and as far as your point of waiting on Uni, yeah, I hope you get it. And still having families you have on hold, yes, I had a family and I begged them to add Military career because that is who they are in my head. It never came, until they decided to stick it in a linear pack I was never going to buy. I can't pay full price for a GP or EP just to get one thing. Unlike players who will who just want some clothes, I'm not built that way. I won't but it at all. New players won't care since they didn't know how long someone waited on something, just to see it stuck in a pack that person was never going to be interested in or like or buy.

I'm starting to feel sorry for TS4 players because they are being thrown under the bus, too, all in search of seven million+ new players who won't even know how long they have been requesting or waiting on a bug fix and or something they really want.

ETA: And from the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. Notice what Wilson said. He mentions console first, that shows that is where the increases were, and where his heart is concerning this game. He mentioned it first since it's what's on his mind first or he would have said PC first. And we all know console games have more questing, linear play type mechanics. It makes one wonder if we can expect more of that.

And I'll always remember that I was around 12-13 years old and I worked so hard to get the money to pay this game! It drives me crazy just thinking of it. Of course I could have asked my parents, but I wanted to be proud, I wanted to pay this game with my money.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Jemjem96Jemjem96 Posts: 8 New Member
    I feel there are a lot of fun things the game is missing that were in older versions. Just random stuff like NPC's, social bunny, fire fighters, burglars... and the fact that you have to buy expansions to get things that should have been in the base game like jacuzzis. Expansions for the sims 2 always came with so much new stuff, whereas stuff packs for sims 4 literally have like 20 items or even less... it's a joke really how bad the quality is compared to older games. I still enjoy playing it, but I just feel there is a lot missing that should have been there from the start.
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    EA has a long history of totally wiping out a game and Studio that is not doing what it says it is doing. Even selling 2 million copies did not save Sim City 13 - they ended and eradicated the studio that made it in no time at all. That is how EA rolls.

If EA says the Sims 4 is doing what they said it is doing and what's more is ecstatic over it - you can bet your boots - no matter how much you don't like it - it is doing what they said it was doing. They'd have dropped it like a hot potato well before now instead of fleshing it with praise. So regardless of what any one thinks or wants - the proof is in the pudding and the game is going to continue to do it's thing as long as it continues to make that big profit - no question about it.

Technically if it was not for these forums and people from these forums - I personally would think everyone loves this game as much as all the other Sims games if not more even - as all the dislike doesn't exist elsewhere like it exists here. Sure - now and then on other forums but generally when I see distain the person posting is from this forum 8 times out of 10. I don't see much of this at all on other Sims official forums in other countries - at least not like I see here.

Correction- EA has a long history of totally willing out a game and studio and running them to the ground. Sim City flopped because of decisions they made and fans voted with their wallets. Their fault. Other titles they have ruined include Theme Hospital, Command and Conquer and Mass effect.

For further reading for those interested in some truely scummy practices see here:

https://screenrant.com/video-game-franchises-ea-ruined/

You clearly don’t visit the sims YouTube channel, twitter or other forums or Facebook groups. There is a large number of disdain and disappointment about the sims 4. Of course it has fans- but don’t make out this forum is unique in pointing out the many, many flaws of this game.

Because it’s not. If anything here is very sheltered as threads are closed at the drop of a hat. Other places where people can speak freely without fear of censorship are way, way worse. Believe me.

And I apologise to @Cinebar for going off topic but I find it hard to sit and watch myths being passed off as fact.

I agree with you on what was ruined up to Theme Hospital, many still play the classic Theme Hospital which was part of the Theme series and was made by Bull Frog which I believed did work under EA back in the early nineties if I remember and was an excellent developer under EA which back in the day was not too bad as it is now as EA of today is under different people that have different ideas than those that was in charge back in the day.The remake is excellent as well which is not part of EA. EA today for me seems to forgotten how it all began.

I agree. I love Theme Hospital, Theme Park and Dungeon Keeper. I hate what EA did to the latter in particular. The mobile micro transaction “game” was a slap in the face to every fan.

Problem is EA changed. I remember their EA Sports philosophy “It’s in the game”
    Now it’s out the game in loot boxes. Games that are rated 3+ Now they are defending that practice and saying it’s ethical children can spend over £500 in real money to get their favourite player but after all that - they still didn’t get him. “Fun surprise mechanics” at play.
    Fun surprise bankruptcies for the parents.

Sad times.

So true as loot boxes are somewhat an mystery box to me meaning you may get the same item more than you like and very rare to get what you trying to get. I never buy mystery boxes or even any loot that would help me cheat but that is my opinion of course. But I agree with you and I still have those old games I just find it hard and tiring to get them to run. Thank goodness for GOG :)
  • KLAlexisKLAlexis Posts: 472 Member
    edited July 2019
    @CK213 [/quote]

I really should have waited for this game to be finished and then buy it up, but I do enjoy adding to a Sims series as it grows. This time it is different with the Sims 4. I hardly play the way I normally do. I would play my families fully in the past series. I might not play several generations as I did it, but at least one or two. In the Sims 4 I am just sampling expansion packs as I wait for University. I still have the same sims from the beginning.[/quote]

I've only had the free base for a little over a month now and Im already contemplating if I should delete it. I've still been playing, but most of the time it feels like a chore to play rather than a desire. Yeah there are some nice things about The Sims 4 but imo it doesnt outweigh the bad.

The new things in sims 4 get old really fast imo. Likewise, I found it cute that kids would wake up to get their parents to spray under their bed for the monster. But, after the 4th day in a row it gets tiring. And bless your soul if you have more than 2 kids like I do (I have 6). There were monsters every night before I got that nite light.

Same thing with the toddlers waking parents/siblings up lots of times for no reason. I do find hugging cute but can they hug after they are done eating.

ETA your name since I believe i messed the quotations up :#

"The truth hurts, but lies kill"
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2019
    KLAlexis wrote: »
    I've only had the free base for a little over a month now and Im already contemplating if I should delete it. I've still been playing, but most of the time it feels like a chore to play rather than a desire. Yeah there are some nice things about The Sims 4 but imo it doesnt outweigh the bad.

The new things in sims 4 get old really fast imo. Likewise, I found it cute that kids would wake up to get their parents to spray under their bed for the monster. But, after the 4th day in a row it gets tiring. And bless your soul if you have more than 2 kids like I do (I have 6). There were monsters every night before I got that nite light.

Same thing with the toddlers waking parents/siblings up lots of times for no reason. I do find hugging cute but can they hug after they are done eating.

This is why I truly wonder if they have enough, or anyone at EA, actually play-testing these features. Does anyone play the game and think, "Hmm, this was a nice concept, but this just isn't fun"?

I usually would not generalize, but I am more than sure the majority of Simmers x out those cellphone notifications that pop up every other hour with annoying invites to parties and whatnot.

I'm just really convinced these developers don't actually play their own game. I get a completely different vibe from The Sims 2, where the majority of its gameplay systems and features all molded together, were fun, and just made sense. It genuinely felt like the developers play-tested features before shipping them to determine whether or not we would enjoy them.
    edited July 2019

This is why I truly wonder if they have enough, or anyone at EA, actually play-testing these features. Does anyone play the game and think, "Hmm, this was a nice concept, but this just isn't fun"?

I usually would not generalize, but I am more than sure the majority of Simmers x out those cellphone notifications that pop up every other hour with annoying invites to parties and whatnot.

I'm just really convinced these developers don't actually play their own game. I get a completely different vibe from The Sims 2, where the majority of its gameplay systems and features all molded together, were fun, and just made sense. It genuinely felt like the developers play-tested features before shipping them to determine whether or not we would enjoy them.

I'm sure in TS2 days they actually played the game and were actually really passionates of the game (only saying that they are passionates but giving us trash dlcs like that just says the opposite for me). Just by seeing how stories were made within sims in neighborhoods and every memory they had it's clear for me that they played the game before selling it.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member

I feel the same way, some features they add seem like stuff that sounds good on a design board, but does not work well in the game. Like the react in disgust mechanic, or the celebrity walk from get famous.

I wish they could spend more time testing their game, play it for longer periods of time and rework stuff that is annoying, make the game more easy to configure, some people love these features because they add variety, while others dislike them and just want to get rid of them.

They need to find a good balance, make the game fun to play for shorter periods of time and longer periods of time.

Oh no you are not generalizing as you did not say everyone and yes I am so sick of those phone notifications that I just do not pay attention to them. I wish I could choose an option to turn off phone texts like I can with my RL phone by going into the contacts and silence them that way.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2019

I'm sure in TS2 days they actually played the game and were actually really passionates of the game (only saying that they are passionates but giving us trash dlcs like that just says the opposite for me). Just by seeing how stories were made within sims in neighborhoods and every memory they had it's clear for me that they played the game before selling it.

Oh, definitely. And that example you gave is a huge indicator of that.

The Sims 2 and all of its expansions shipped with pre-made Sims that were both new to the series, and some that had their stories carried over from The Sims 1. There was no lazy route taken, like with The Sims 4, and this whole "alternate universe." To me, that just translates to, "we didn't care."

All of The Sims 2's pre-mades were created with pre-existing memories, relationships, and extended family trees. The Sims 4 did not even have family trees upon arrival, and even now, they're cramped in a tiny window with very limited viewing and information.

It's just a glaring, night and day difference from passion then to passion now.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top