Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking Forward To the End Of TS4

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    The question I want to ask is if anyone who rejects the cost of the packs etc are developers themselves. I would love to know how big the team is. I think it costs a lot to make what we have. Sure it needs to get better but there are so many moving parts and interactions. I think what they have achieved is amazing. Mass rejection equals people losing their jobs. Where is all the profit going? I doubt it is going to the hard workers.

To my knowledge TS4 started out with over one hundred on it's team according to Rachel and Ryan in 2014. Since then Grant (previous lead producer who recently was transferred) stated it has even more than that, now. I have no idea how many actually build TS4. And sometimes I think all that money TS3 is still making (billions) and all that billion TS4 has made goes to finance other EA games. But I would have no idea about that only what I read in financial news etc.
    In February simguruGrant stated that “We actually have a bigger team on TS4 than we had on TS3”.

Yes, he also said on the 15th March that the sims4 team are around 200 people. That's a lot of people to pay each month...which is also why I am very critical about the latest expansions. It doesn't feel like the effort from 200 people.

I also suspect the senior programmers have been moved to work on sims5. They still have the designers working on the sims4, because they do not need them yet. And to give them something to do...they will release a pack that seems to be mostly CAS items (moschino pack).

I think a lot of money are going to just pay the people honestly, and it is possible that they have so little time to work on each pack that they need that many people to be able to make it in time.

That, and I think that they are worried that if they would add some really advanced features to the game it will be too unstable (like the end of the sims3), and they have no senior programmers to work on it because they are not assigned to the sims4.

200 people probably counting the forum moderators and community managers and marketing personnel. Plus around 20 producers. The rest would be the art team, sound engineers and then programmers. I don't think Maxis has any internal 3D modelling people since they outsource hair and things.

If they are worried they should have hired or assigned someone to be a senior programmer for the whole lifespan of this game, or made a better engine to start. Wasn't this game suppose to whistand more complex better features? Isn't this game a sequel? Why are there such extensive limitations? For what it's worth, TS3 runs okay on my computer. It's not crazy optimised but I don't have a lot of lag, considering I'm not playing in Isla Paradiso ahaha

I hear saying Sims 4 supposed to be an reboot and all I can do is laugh as this is no reboot. The features supposed to be better than the last version and sorry they are not. The features for me appear to be half baked and sad that is an average game for me.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    The question I want to ask is if anyone who rejects the cost of the packs etc are developers themselves. I would love to know how big the team is. I think it costs a lot to make what we have. Sure it needs to get better but there are so many moving parts and interactions. I think what they have achieved is amazing. Mass rejection equals people losing their jobs. Where is all the profit going? I doubt it is going to the hard workers.

To my knowledge TS4 started out with over one hundred on it's team according to Rachel and Ryan in 2014. Since then Grant (previous lead producer who recently was transferred) stated it has even more than that, now. I have no idea how many actually build TS4. And sometimes I think all that money TS3 is still making (billions) and all that billion TS4 has made goes to finance other EA games. But I would have no idea about that only what I read in financial news etc.
    In February simguruGrant stated that “We actually have a bigger team on TS4 than we had on TS3”.

Yes, he also said on the 15th March that the sims4 team are around 200 people. That's a lot of people to pay each month...which is also why I am very critical about the latest expansions. It doesn't feel like the effort from 200 people.

I also suspect the senior programmers have been moved to work on sims5. They still have the designers working on the sims4, because they do not need them yet. And to give them something to do...they will release a pack that seems to be mostly CAS items (moschino pack).

I think a lot of money are going to just pay the people honestly, and it is possible that they have so little time to work on each pack that they need that many people to be able to make it in time.

That, and I think that they are worried that if they would add some really advanced features to the game it will be too unstable (like the end of the sims3), and they have no senior programmers to work on it because they are not assigned to the sims4.
    Adding DLC seems to make the game unstable regardless, considering it’s also happening to Sims 4. New additions seem to have a habit of breaking existing ones. Which is why players would only benefit from one strong basegame with a lot of features and content and less DLC. The remark backfired by the way, because for many people it was even more incomprehensible why then Sims 4 (basegame and packs) misses so much the previous games did have.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

And now Grant is off working on another "mysterious Maxis project," when it was twice before he was moved to become the lead producer of the next Sims game. Hmm..

I just hope this time he'll make the right choices... :confounded:

We are doomed.

Haha thanks you taught me a new word. :smiley: Yes, I live in Switzerland. ^^
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member

And now Grant is off working on another "mysterious Maxis project," when it was twice before he was moved to become the lead producer of the next Sims game. Hmm..

And address players on Twitter politely.

Could you elaborate on this, just curious?

We are doomed.

do you speak french?

We are doomed.

do you speak french?

I totally speak french better than I speak English haha. I was born in Switzerland, I did my school in french etc so this is my mother tongue. :smiley:
    Lu4ERme.gif

We are doomed.

do you speak french?

I totally speak french better than I speak English haha. I was born in Switzerland, I did my school in french etc so this is my mother tongue. :smiley:

C'est super, je veux appendre le français. J'utilise Duolingo.

Sorry op off topic, I'll stop now.

We are doomed.

do you speak french?

C'est super, je veux appendre le français. J'utilise Duolingo.

Sorry op off topic, I'll stop now.

Haha, so good luck it's gonna be tough. There's so many exceptions, rules and unprounouceable words for non-french speakers. :joy:
    Same, off topic, I'll stop. (:
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • EthropturEthroptur Posts: 53 Member
    I agree completely. I played TS4 for app. 1 hour upon release and immediately requested a refund. I only picked it up again a few months ago when EA offered the base game for free via Origin. I haven't paid a single pence for anything related to TS4 due to how disinterested I have been in this iteration of The Sims.

I'm predicting that TS5 will be announced sometime in 2020 for release either later in the year or in 2021. If The Sims Studio followed the pattern of releases they used for previous games, TS5 would have been announced in 2018 and released in 2019. A 2020-2021 release window would provide Maxis with the few extra years they claimed they wanted and obviously received from EA. Furthermore, 2020 will be the 20th anniversary of The Sims. They're almost certainly going to reveal something noteworthy for the occasion, because they did it for the 10th anniversary, wherein they gave TS3 some classic TS1 items such as the vibrating love bed, the electric guitar and the large aquarium. They'll probably reveal something larger for the 20th anniversary, however.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited July 2019

Adding DLC seems to make the game unstable regardless, considering it’s also happening to Sims 4. New additions seem to have a habit of breaking existing ones. Which is why players would only benefit from one strong basegame with a lot of features and content and less DLC. The remark backfired by the way, because for many people it was even more incomprehensible why then Sims 4 (basegame and packs) misses so much the previous games did have.

Agreed, which is why I hope some features like cars are already planned for the sims5, and could be why they do not really want to make functional cars for the sims4, because they would rather spend time modeling cars for a game that can use them.

Same with other features that people are requesting, I would not be surprised if they have a list of things that they will save for a potential sequel. Which will hopefully be a game that will prevent things breaking all the time they want to add a new feature.

Just look at what they did recently with restaurants, they are completely broken now because they wanted to add a fun feature where you could dig the beach for food and eat it. So now everyone just grabs your plate on a restaurant. A whole DLC ruined, because they wanted to add one simple feature.

They have so many DLC now for the sims4 they seem to have no idea what breaks what anymore.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019

Agreed, which is why I hope some features like cars are already planned for the sims5, and could be why they do not really want to make functional cars for the sims4, because they would rather spend time modeling cars for a game that can use them.

Same with other features that people are requesting, I would not be surprised if they have a list of things that they will save for a potential sequel. Which will hopefully be a game that will prevent things breaking all the time they want to add a new feature.

Just look at what they did recently with restaurants, they are completely broken now because they wanted to add a fun feature where you could dig the beach for food and eat it. So now everyone just grabs your plate on a restaurant. A whole DLC ruined, because they wanted to add one simple feature.

They have so many DLC now for the sims4 they seem to have no idea what breaks what anymore.

Is that the reason why npc's sims now pick the food that sims are already eating? Seriously? Wow that's really dumb. "Smarter sims" lol.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited July 2019

Is that the reason why npc's sims now pick the food that sims are already eating? Seriously? Wow that's really dumb. "Smarter sims" lol.

most likely yes, people on Answer HQ are suspecting this because sims now seem to have no control over what they are eating, they are eating spoiled food and they seem to grab anything to eat. They messed up the code because they wanted to add that moment from the trailer where one sim is eating spoiled food.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I actually dred TS4 ending.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2019

I know you do. I know you really love it, and I can understand all that. TS3 was fun sometimes and I had fun with it, too. I remember I was just about to buy that breakfast thingy, (with waterfall, mill etc.) from seeing your pictures in a thread in TS3, lol, (from the store set) and then came TS4 and I never did get around to buying that old mill because I got interested in TS4. But your pictures of the mill and your pictures of something in TS3 made me want those things, so yes, I understand, it's hard to think about a game ending. If they had held off on TS4 a little longer, I might have purchased a whole lot more for TS3 just from reading threads and seeing pictures of store content I didn't have but looked amazing. Hopefully they fix most of TS4's problems and give us slow dancing (we really need that) and a few other packs people want like University and Magic etc. before they end.

But for now Im going to play TS3 for awhile again, and see the stuff I missed from the store, lol, because I still want that mill. lol

ETA: And with that said, it looks like Maxis still gets my money somewhere,lol, whether on TS4 or TS3 store or on packs I didn't get around to buying. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited July 2019

I know you do. I know you really love it, and I can understand all that. TS3 was fun sometimes and I had fun with it, too. I remember I was just about to buy that breakfast thingy, (with waterfall, mill etc.) from seeing your pictures in a thread in TS3, lol, (from the store set) and then came TS4 and I never did get around to buying that old mill because I got interested in TS4. But your pictures of the mill and your pictures of something in TS3 made me want those things, so yes, I understand, it's hard to think about a game ending. If they had held off on TS4 a little longer, I might have purchased a whole lot more for TS3 just from reading threads and seeing pictures of store content I didn't have but looked amazing. Hopefully they fix most of TS4's problems and give us slow dancing (we really need that) and a few other packs people want like University and Magic etc. before they end.

But for now Im going to play TS3 for awhile again, and see the stuff I missed from the store, lol, because I still want that mill. lol

ETA: And with that said, it looks like Maxis still gets my money somewhere,lol, whether on TS4 or TS3 store or on packs I didn't get around to buying. lol

That store set is one of my favourites. It has L shaped stairs, the tea set, jam making and preserves, and the mill's wheel in which you can fish in etc. It's one of the few store sets that is relatively worth it considering it adds about 3 gameplay objects plus awesome build mode items. Like the moss covered stone stairs, the hanging lights and so on.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited July 2019
    Can anyone point to where they got the information that Grant is actually working on any Sims 5? Is this just hearsay? He seems to be enjoying making Podcasts at the moment. It looks like he's promoted but would probably like a change - or a rest.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited July 2019
    -University
    -Witches
    -Farming
    -Whatever theme pack that will give me Simbots/Plumbots and future technology.

Then it can end so I can mod it to the nines and not have to deal with patches messing up my mods.
    I want it to be over mainly for that and not a Sims 5.

What I want for the Sims 5 is a return of open world and CASt (in some form), the best game play features of The Sims 2, more detailed meshes and textures on a Sims 4 art style and a lot of cool little features from the Sims 4 like hats on any hairstyle, build/buy search feature, styled looks, saving and placing rooms. Also putting the focus back on sim's personality traits and making each sim unique, and then add to that base game replayability by having game play that is different for each sim depending on their personality and skills.

I could go on, but I doubt the Sims 5 will do this. They will probably create a new game play angle and keep the game simple and boring to the point that you have to buy the next pack to keep interested in the game. They will probably try to shoe-horn in some online social feature too. That's why I am not excited for a Sims 5.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member

Maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe there are too many people giving their input on the game so they can't focus on just one thing at a time. Maybe that's why ep, gp, and sp features seem to be only half done. More people doesn't always mean a better game.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • MoonSimMoonSim Posts: 102 Member
    edited July 2019

Maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe there are too many people giving their input on the game so they can't focus on just one thing at a time. Maybe that's why ep, gp, and sp features seem to be only half done. More people doesn't always mean a better game.

Agree. Having a larger team and still having soo many problems means people & projects are just being completely mismanaged... It's always seemed like they have poor delegation imo.
  • ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    I am sort of on the fence with TS4 ending (whenever it does). When we got the base game it was missing things that really should of been in there to begin with (pools), and we are still missing things that should of been in the base game but no, they are in EPs instead. So does that mean that we will only get to build walls in TS5, if we ever get it? lol.

SPs I think are a waste of time as a number of those items could of been in EPs and/or GPs.

If they do a University EP then I will get it, as University and Seasons are my all time fave EPS in The Sims series and I like to compare them but I am not holding my breath for something great. If they do a Uni EP then I will get it and that's the end for me, if they bring anything else out it has to be something really good for me to want it.

I shall wait and see what the future holds.
  • TheSillyArchitectTheSillyArchitect Posts: 17 Member
    > @TheSillyArchitect said:
    > The only thing that I don't want in the new game is for "Internet connection required to play" plum because the sims do not require to be online but no with all the new games they have to have an internet connection, don't treat the buyers like Pirates.

I just want to give a shoutout to the mods for making my comment more userfriendly. <3 love you guys.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2019

And address players on Twitter politely.

Could you elaborate on this, just curious?

Probably can't on the forums, but you can dig on Google and find results quickly, I'm sure. Controversy follows him on Twitter quite frequently.

Well, supposedly, they have learned from this mistake, and from what I understand, placed people from the SP team onto the GP/EP teams.

I think TS4 will ultimately be known as the game where they can say they learned from failure, especially with the new things they've tried such as the sporadic and random release schedule instead of consistent 6 month releases, the emphasis on GPs/SPs over full-fledged expansions, Strangerville, My First Pet, etc.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    We seem to be upgraded to Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics this quarter. Probably helped by that freebie though?

https://news.ea.com/press-release/company-news/electronic-arts-reports-q1-fy20-financial-results

During the quarter, The Sims 4TM expansion packs and game pack downloads increased 55% year-over-year

I cannot see Sims 4 ending soon.
    edited July 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    We seem to be upgraded to Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics this quarter. Probably helped by that freebie though?

https://news.ea.com/press-release/company-news/electronic-arts-reports-q1-fy20-financial-results

During the quarter, The Sims 4TM expansion packs and game pack downloads increased 55% year-over-year

I cannot see Sims 4 ending soon.

If they make so much cash why is it that the EP's get such 🐸🐸🐸🐸 budgets? They even have to recycle from previous EP's for their animations lol
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Exactly. I share your hope concerning a Sims 5, but I'm not too optimistic I must confess.
    5JZ57S6.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top