Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking Forward To the End Of TS4

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited July 2019
    One thing that I really don't like with this is how they do not seem to have scaled down on their marketing with their trailers and pictures showcasing the game. Those trailers and pictures are made by their marketing team and are showing stuff that are either not in the game, or made to look like it is a much more developed feature in the game. They have clearly edited all the sims and given them custom animations so the game looks better, and they are always showing it off so it looks better than it is.

Seriously, just look on the picture they have on origin, anyone seeing this would think that you could swim underwater like that.

original.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    All games re-use animations - it is part of making games.

That is so far from the point. Of course they are going to cut costs and repurpose completed work where it makes sense, but this pack has a plethora of “new features” that are literally just ripped from other DLC. Wouldn’t be a big deal if this was a gameplay heavy pack, with lots of new stuff to offset the noticeably copied stuff - but that’s not the case. This pack is incredibly light on gameplay, even when you consider all of the things they ripped from other DLC it’s STILL light on gameplay.

I certainly believe the GP rumor seeing how little actual work they put into the new game features. Copy/Paste is NOT quality work and IS NOT worth a $40 price tag - ever. I wonder if the reason they copy/paste SO MUCH is because they lost everyone who knows how to work on this game. The last handful of packs certainly have not expanded the game very much.

Exactly! Not to mention they are advertising recycled gameplay as new features aka:

"Engage in Local Culture Tradition runs deep on Sulani, and your Sims get to experience everything it has to offer. Immerse Sims in their newfound lifestyle by attending a pit barbecue event, learning about local folklore, tasting tropical delicacies and chatting with ancestors from the island. "

Also what local folklore are they talking about? There's none of that in the actual EP. And in the BBQ event NPC sims don't even use the BBQ. They just fire dance near the bonfire.

Culture to EA is a change of clothes, mixing up the name generator and adding in some new food. It’s aesthetic only. The fact is Sulani locals behave the exact same as locals in Windenburg or Willow Creek.

I mean, at least Jungle Adventure included the Selvadoradian skill, with new dancing and....I don't what else tbh xD They re-used the GT Windenburg greeting there too. But at least there was new dancing lol Not even that in this EP.

Jungle Adventure had two new skills, a new dance, new socials (all be it recycled animations) and lots of new dishes. Not to mention the skills you could use outside of the world.

Never thought I would see the day I would defend JA. Lol
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited July 2019
    logion wrote: »
    One thing that I really don't like with this is how they do not seem to have scaled down on their marketing with their trailers and pictures showcasing the game. Those trailers and pictures are made by their marketing team and are showing stuff that are either not in the game, or made to look like it is a much more developed feature in the game. They have clearly edited all the sims and given them custom animations so the game looks better, and they are always showing it off so it looks better than it is.

Seriously, just look on the picture they have on origin, anyone seeing this would think that you could swim underwater like that.

original.jpg

The snorkeling guy (or girl???) was the subtle and allusive hint the underwater experience would be, pun intented, shallow. It begs the question "why isn't (s)he in the diving gear in this teaser still??). Those who are caution and alert of TS4 anticlimatics would picked it on and come to realization to expect such worse.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited July 2019

original.jpg

Yeah they made custom animations for the trailer too. Just like Strangerville; they put more money into making the packs look good than they do developing the packs! I can only imagine how much of the dev budget they spent getting the voice actress from Moana to provide 30 seconds of audio for the trailer. Meanwhile the pack is barren and full of half-finished ideas and bad ideas they ripped from other packs because it’s easier and cheaper than making something new :eye roll:

But hey the backdrop is gorgeous!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Techbilt wrote: »
    BuT iT iS sO pReTtY.

Edit: You know what I'm also wondering? If sims 4 is doing so well sales wise where is all the money going? It's clearly not going back into game, sinces Devs complain all the time they couldn't do this or that because of the budget.

The general fund/operating account. From there (not necessarily in order): corporate 'suits', stakeholders, the pool of $ that gets disbused to game production - since the big tickets are sports and war Sims revenue adds to their purses, paying the bills, any community involvement EA might participate in. In short, it's like any other major corporation. We and the Sims are small fish in a large pond so get allocations accordingly.

I agree with Cinebar, TS4 overall is much poorer than the previous versions in nearly all respects. It has been a 3-legged mule since development, never mind release, and has been relying on pretty, a constant flow of new goodies, and the gullibility of the relatively immature young target market. Those producing it have forgotten (if they knew it at all) the core of the game, what made it great for so many years, and are simply basking in the light of past glories. Problem is, foundations are to be built on, not admired from afar. In view of the technological advances since Sims came out, TS4 should have 'blown our doors off' as much as TS2 did vis-a-vis TS1. It did not, and unless there is a major shake-up at EA, TS5 (if it comes out at all - I still suspect we are in the terminal phase of a to-be-cancelled franchise) will be no better than 4 and quite possibly worse. Different in appearance, but just as shallow, ridden with bugs and glitches, and not worth the asking price.

• deeman190deeman190 Posts: 99 Member
    edited July 2019
    I have said that mid to late 2021 will probably be the earliest TS5 will be released. I try to think that the later it is released, the better it will be. I wouldn't expect any official announcements to come from EA for at least another year.

I hope the PC and console edition of the base game and all expansion packs both offer the full game. It will be a challenge to create a game that is more dynamic and open than the previous edition but will still run on most PC computers.
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited July 2019
    Gonna disagree.

If The Sims 4 has all these problems, then I'd prefer that they take their time with The Sims 5 and give it a fully fleshed out experience. I definitely want them to do away with whims (I loved the Wants and Fear system), but Sims 3 Wishes and Sims 4 Whims... I don't even pay attention to. :/ And now they've even hidden the whims in Sims 4.

I have things I really enjoy about The Sims 4 and some features I'd love to see again in Sims 5 (Calendar, custom holidays/events, Parenthood, Toddlers (Best toddlers so far - could use some.. adjustments, or a bit more game-play, etc.. but the fact they can eat regular cooked Sims food, babble, crawl and walk up stairs, throw tantrums/make messes, etc) I feel like this game-play makes them more life-like/realistic. And a couple of other features like CAS / Build /Buy - Drag and pull. Emotions (just... a much better system), and a few more.

*oops meant to add, but I have things I really wish were different, or felt like they missed an opportunity (home business -- Open For Business was an amazing pack!), among other things.. (The standing up when in bed when I saved my game is still bugging me - not sure what that is about, but maybe it's a mod thing, I don't know).

I definitely have ideas of what I hope Sims 5 could be or will be like, but that's a whole other topic.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited July 2019
    I hope everyone took the survey and expressed their feelings about TS4 there. We all know how seriously EA takes customer satisfaction surveys.. Really though, If we want a Sims 5, the only way to get it, is to STOP buying packs for The Sims 4. They will keep on producing it, if we keep buying it.

I promise myself I'll try not to buy everything now. I even plan to stop playing this cr*p iteration. Instead I'm discovering TS3 again and I realized there are still so much careers, aspirations, traits etc that I never played with. This is also a joy to have this open world with tons of activities to do, anyway I could praise TS3 for weeks haha. I'm just hoping the new ''Paralives'' project and Paradox with Will Wright will blow us away and break EA. The best thing that could never happen to me as a player.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 335 Member
    The content they are making for the sims4 feels so limited, it feels like it has been designed to use as little resources as possible. I think it is a pity that a game that has so much potential seems to get no development resources to make something interesting or better than their previous games. Basically, if they can use something that is already in the game, they will.

It is almost as if they have been told to make content for the game for as little resources as possible. I can only hope that EA's budget goes towards making a game that will give them more options and more freedom when it comes to making content and will add those features that people have asked for the sims4, like cars, hotels, deep diving, better personalities and more gameplay.

I think development for any major features have stopped for the sims4 (they probably do not have many developers working on it or a very small team), but they are still making content for it. This is why we are seeing so many reused animations and rabbit holes.

Yep, hope all that money goes into The Sims 5.

I remember reading about how a lot of the money gained from The Sims 3 went to fund Titanfall instead. And it's highly likely that all this crazy money made from The Sims 4 will go to some other EA video game for more "hardcore gamers" that will probably flop too. I believe EA only sees The Sims nowadays as this "thing that makes a lot of money for some reason even when we don't put a lot of effort into it".
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited July 2019
    The content they are making for the sims4 feels so limited, it feels like it has been designed to use as little resources as possible. I think it is a pity that a game that has so much potential seems to get no development resources to make something interesting or better than their previous games. Basically, if they can use something that is already in the game, they will.

It is almost as if they have been told to make content for the game for as little resources as possible. I can only hope that EA's budget goes towards making a game that will give them more options and more freedom when it comes to making content and will add those features that people have asked for the sims4, like cars, hotels, deep diving, better personalities and more gameplay.

I think development for any major features have stopped for the sims4 (they probably do not have many developers working on it or a very small team), but they are still making content for it. This is why we are seeing so many reused animations and rabbit holes.

I remember reading about how a lot of the money gained from The Sims 3 went to fund Titanfall instead. And it's highly likely that all this crazy money made from The Sims 4 will go to some other EA video game for more "hardcore gamers" that will probably flop too. I believe EA only sees The Sims nowadays as this "thing that makes a lot of money for some reason even when we don't put a lot of effort into it".

If that's the case than that totally makes sense, since Titanfall is like the best fps for me especially the 2nd one which improves the narrative experiences of the previous games, given the bigger budget that went onto the said games development, just imagine if those budgets went to The Sims.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    zanyshane wrote: »
    iNikkiBear wrote: »
    I personally agree and disagree at the same time. My favorite game is the Sims 2, just because of the depth and surprises that came out of the game play! Sims 4 is my second favorite. I think every edition of the game has added something different. I personally bought the S4 after they added pools and toddlers. Still seem ridiculous saying that they released the game like that. Sims 2 realllly focused on game play. S3 no loading screen was TOPS but I hated the CAS- my sims always looked kinda of chunky in the face not matter how much CC I put on them lol. S4, the CAS is unmatched- but I think they are really lacking in gameplay. Don't get me wrong the emotions thing really grabbed my attention- but it is soooo easy to alter them. Drink a tea, get inspired. Take a shower, now I'm flirty. Just doesn't seem realistic IMO.
    This topic isn’t about CAS, which by the way is useless to me because I don’t like the art style. Gimme chunky.

2198599_orig.png

CAS is less amazing than people claim it is by the way. It’s a couple of default faces and sliders.

Yes, but even if they are sliders you can still use your mouse to sculpt them like clay (more or less)! Also, the face detail edit mode is pretty cool and more intuitive to my mouse movements than I ever expected.

Granted, I think I'm satisfied by TS2 & TS3's CAS features, so it is not a marvel in comparison.
    The only advantage is that you can directly adjust a face and indeed, that’s more intuitive and it’s an improvement that you can do every part of the face at once (partly, there are of course different functions zoomed out or zoomed in). It’s not like clay though, that’s an illusion. It’s sliders. I’m fine with both systems tbh. To tell you the truth I think the creating a sim could be so much better than it is in 2, 3 ánd 4. But again, that’s not the subject here and yet somehow it always seems to enter the discussion.

There are things in TS4 CAS that aren't as detailed as in TS3. You can't change the definition of nostrils in TS4, nor the definition of the lips, or the height of the ears in the face, and some other things. You have to confine yourself to the pre-existing bone structures you are given to be able to achieve that and then modify the rest. Which is a big flaw in my opinion.

But TS4 also has sliders TS3 misses, like eyebrow distance, pupil size, neck width, head size, and the body sliders.
    And an eyebrow widener (which Sims 2 does have strangely enough, and Medieval as well). Miss that one in Sims 3 because eyebrows are actually really very defining for a face. I agree there’s more sliders. I just disagree it works like clay though.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    I hope everyone took the survey and expressed their feelings about TS4 there. We all know how seriously EA takes customer satisfaction surveys.. Really though, If we want a Sims 5, the only way to get it, is to STOP buying packs for The Sims 4. They will keep on producing it, if we keep buying it.

I promise myself I'll try not to buy everything now. I even plan to stop playing this cr*p iteration. Instead I'm discovering TS3 again and I realized there are still so much careers, aspirations, traits etc that I never played with. This is also a joy to have this open world with tons of activities to do, anyway I could praise TS3 for weeks haha. I'm just hoping the new ''Paralives'' project and Paradox with Will Wright will blow us away and break EA. The best thing that could never happen to me as a player.

It's Paradox and Rod Humble (but anyway) it's really interesting and triggers the fantasy.

I kind of wish I haden’t found out about Paradox new Tectonic Studio with Rod Humble at the lead because it really made me curious and impatient to find out whats coming. It could be anything that’s not interesting. But the presentation of the studio, PR or not sounds good. ”Our aim with Paradox Tectonic is to create open, fun, beautiful games which respect the players’ intelligence that enables their creativity, freedom, emotion, and sharing.”
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019
    Gonna disagree.

If The Sims 4 has all these problems, then I'd prefer that they take their time with The Sims 5 and give it a fully fleshed out experience. I definitely want them to do away with whims (I loved the Wants and Fear system), but Sims 3 Wishes and Sims 4 Whims... I don't even pay attention to. :/ And now they've even hidden the whims in Sims 4.

I have things I really enjoy about The Sims 4 and some features I'd love to see again in Sims 5 (Calendar, custom holidays/events, Parenthood, Toddlers (Best toddlers so far - could use some.. adjustments, or a bit more game-play, etc.. but the fact they can eat regular cooked Sims food, babble, crawl and walk up stairs, throw tantrums/make messes, etc) I feel like this game-play makes them more life-like/realistic. And a couple of other features like CAS / Build /Buy - Drag and pull. Emotions (just... a much better system), and a few more.

*oops meant to add, but I have things I really wish were different, or felt like they missed an opportunity (home business -- Open For Business was an amazing pack!), among other things.. (The standing up when in bed when I saved my game is still bugging me - not sure what that is about, but maybe it's a mod thing, I don't know).

I definitely have ideas of what I hope Sims 5 could be or will be like, but that's a whole other topic.
    Sims 3 wishes have a purpose, they can literally lead you through a skill. “Oh, can I do that? Ok!” The sim wishes for something that will give you an actual idea. You indeed don’t have to follow them (quite often I don’t either, especially when I play a sim who has done a lot in life already), but when you do it improves the experience. It guides you through all the options and possibilities. And it’s interactive. When I follow or my sim gets more skilled, the wishes react to that. In Sims 4 the whims don’t. They make no sense and they keep coming, often totally repetitive and not minding what I as the player choose. Not adapting. Actually the difference between wishes and whims is very telling, very illustrative.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019

In all honesty I bet the money is going into Biowares chaotic Dragon Age 4. Which is supposedly going to be “Anthem with Dragons” after they scrapped the offline Tevinter storyline mid development.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Gonna disagree.

Sims 3 wishes have a purpose, they can literally lead you through a skill. “Oh, can I do that? Ok!” The sim wishes for something that will give you an actual idea. You indeed don’t have to follow them (quite often I don’t either, especially when I play a sim who has done a lot in life already), but when you do it improves the experience. It guides you through all the options and possibilities. And it’s interactive. When I follow or my sim gets more skilled, the wishes react to that. In Sims 4 the whims don’t. They make no sense and they keep coming, often totally repetitive and not minding what I as the player choose. Not adapting. Actually the difference between wishes and whims is very telling, very illustrative.

I agree with this however, I think TS2 wants are better than both TS3 and TS4. Because it leads to situations not just an idea. For instance just as a crazy example, if one of my Sims who might be a for lack of words a Don Juan, has over three females and then wishes to see another, and I go ahead and invite her over, too, which may walk in and kiss him in front of all the other girlfriends I have been trying to keep from being alone with him that is that! lol a fight will probably break out between all of them, and him, and he may get slapped four times by four Sims rather than just one, lol. Then I'm left sitting there wondering why did you want her to come over, too? Lol He had it made, he/I was successfully mananging them all and no one was catching on he was in different rooms with each of them (though they have a sixth sense 99% of the time) and things were going well as he rushed one out the back door to the hottub and or upstairs to the bedroom, lol, and I was canceling out them trying to make out with him, and all was going good, until he wanted one other to come over. It's like the Sims in TS2 like to throw monkey wrenches into our plans and we think we are being clever, but they out smart us sometimes. They say, ok, great I have all my girlfriends here, now I just want to see one more I care about...lol..and all hell breaks out.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Gonna disagree.

TS3 wishes allowed us to choose the lifetime wish of teens, they allowed sims to have midlife crisis in generations. And they reflected sims personalities much better than TS4 whims, they were far more accurate. But yeah, TS2 ones were evennnn better!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Gonna disagree.

TS3 wishes allowed us to choose the lifetime wish of teens, they allowed sims to have midlife crisis in generations. And they reflected sims personalities much better than TS4 whims, they were far more accurate. But yeah, TS2 ones were evennnn better!

Everyone knows I like TS2 better than TS3, however, I have to agree with this. At least the wishes of TS3 are part of a trait system, and not just willy nilly whatever lame whims. My loner in TS3 is not going to roll wanting to hug someone they don't even know.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

Wow, how disappointing it is. EA will take care of The Sims only when they'll see there's competition, but it's going to be too late.

It's Paradox and Rod Humble (but anyway) it's really interesting and triggers the fantasy.

I kind of wish I haden’t found out about Paradox new Tectonic Studio with Rod Humble at the lead because it really made me curious and impatient to find out whats coming. It could be anything that’s not interesting. But the presentation of the studio, PR or not sounds good. ”Our aim with Paradox Tectonic is to create open, fun, beautiful games which respect the players’ intelligence that enables their creativity, freedom, emotion, and sharing.”

Yeah, I can't wait but don't want to be disappointed. But I don't see what kind of game they would make if they hired Rob Humble and Will Wright?
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Gonna disagree.

Everyone knows I like TS2 better than TS3, however, I have to agree with this. At least the wishes of TS3 are part of a trait system, and not just willy nilly whatever lame whims. My loner in TS3 is not going to roll wanting to hug someone they don't even know.

You are totally right. Everyone also knows that TS2 had the most sims in depth. Still an amazing game after a decade.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member

Yeah, I can't wait but don't want to be disappointed. But I don't see what kind of game they would make if they hired Rob Humble and Will Wright?

Rod Humble is with Paradox Studio. Will Wright it supposedly developing a mobile game called Proxi that sounds interesting, but if it's for mobile devices I don't have much faith in its depth. Also, there have been no updates about it for over a year, which either means it's dead or it's the best-kept secret in gaming. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-20-spore-and-sims-creator-will-wright-unveils-proxi

Stdlr9 wrote: »

Rod Humble is with Paradox Studio. Will Wright it supposedly developing a mobile game called Proxi that sounds interesting, but if it's for mobile devices I don't have much faith in its depth. Also, there have been no updates about it for over a year, which either means it's dead or it's the best-kept secret in gaming. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-20-spore-and-sims-creator-will-wright-unveils-proxi

You know what I love Wright, but this sounds more like a tool big companies can delve into the data of our 'mems' and try to sell us stuff, and or keep track of what sort of person we are, and store that data to sell to other companies.
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited July 2019
    Stdlr9 wrote: »

You know what I love Wright, but this sounds more like a tool big companies can delve into the data of our 'mems' and try to sell us stuff, and or keep track of what sort of person we are, and store that data to sell to other companies.

There is a potentially good science fiction book/screenplay idea there, for sure. I don't trust anything on mobile devices.

Edited to add: Check out the episode "Dreams for Sale" (1985) from the rebooted '80s "The Twilight Zone." Knew it reminded me of something!!
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Patrick Kelly was one of the UI Designers who worked on The Sims Olympus back when it was still in development and he took part in several interviews, including one over on Mod The Sims with the community I believe (it's very difficult to find things pertaining to him as most of his information has been scrubbed from the web, such as portfolios and business related accounts) but he shared several things during these interviews that are still around. In his own words:

abjes6.png

Honeywell's Sims 4 News Blog also documented an email that he shared with a community member. The quality is terrible as the higher resolution version is gone, but I'll include it anyway and then a transcript of the interesting segments.

i3s2ol.jpg

From what I've been told, the game is a mess, the studio is a mess, and people are so frustrated they are about to revolt. Making games isn't as glamorous as people think, in fact its pretty cut-throat, but the current generation of Sims designers are taking it to another level.

The most obvious clue that they are scrambling now is the inexplicably boring Sims 4 logo, which looks like it was created in under a minute and designed by a committee of clueless producers.

But believe me if EA could keep this stuff under-wraps, they would. There's some reason they're letting this stuff out now, probably to distance themselves for a design they wasted 3 years developing but no one really liked.

When you get former staff members saying things like this it isn't exactly a pretty picture. He did however say over in the Mod The Sims Q&A that he enjoyed working for the company and that there's a lot of great people there.
    For good measure, engineer Gil Colgate confirmed The Sims 4 was definitely an online experience at one stage.

nfr2hk.jpg

The only issue comes from determining when it shifted to offline. Patrick said elsewhere that it was due to the internet requirements reducing the quality of the game and so they dropped the online functionality fairly early on, but a few other employees and PR folks said it was changed in the wake of SimCity's disaster of a launch. It would be far worse in the SimCity case, as that would have left little time to make changes, and the game's engine was changed to accommodate the new look that 4 ended up with.

This is some hot tea right here! Even former developers claim the game was a mess

Let‘s hope the team learned from that experience and NEVER EVER does an online multiplayer Sims game ever again.
    a256aFi.gif
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Gonna disagree.

This is so true! If they introduce wishes, at least make it based on traits and situations!
    a256aFi.gif
  • deeman190deeman190 Posts: 99 Member
    They need to introduce a completely different team for TS5.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top